Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: OSI never ends, browser freezes

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
OSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
abanerji99 OSI never ends, browser freezes
Member 29th Aug, 2010 15:47
Ranking: 0
User Since: 29th Aug, 2010
System Score: N/A
I have been using OSI for years. Generally, no issues. My system details are
a) XP-SP3, fully patched
b) IE8
c) Firefox 3.6.8
d) AVG free 9.0.851, full system scan done now - no infection
e) ZA free 9.2.057
f) Java 6 update 21

My default browser is firefox (safe mode). Recently, ever since I updated Java (couple of weeks ago), have not been able to conclude an OSI scan. Checked java at sun website - found nothing wrong. I even completely uninstalled java, and reinstalled.

When I start OSI through firefox, the scan reaches "checking for missing security updates from Microsoft", and then never ends even after nine minutes. I have fast internet (cable), and earlier I would get the scan results within a minute or two. In fact, after this never-ending scan, I have to end firefox through task manager.

Tried OSI through IE. Similar experience as through firefox, only the browser could be closed in the normal way.

I rely on OSI, and this is something I have never experienced before. Could this be a java issue?

mogs RE: OSI never ends, browser freezes
Expert Contributor 29th Aug, 2010 16:40
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Hello.
Can't seem to find anything relative to your problem in the OSI FAQ's....having been a user for years you're probably already familiar with: but here's the link, just in case :-
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online/f... OSI
I've had a similar problem when scanning with psi, before now: ultimately cured by running cleaner/registry scanner and CHKDSK....you've probably already tried all that too ?
I noticed while reading thro' the FAQ's, the last paragraph (16), which advises :-

How can I suggest a feature or report an error in the Secunia OSI?
For feature requests, please submit all suggestions to support@secunia.com. In addition, for error inquiries, please send all relevant details (including screenshots, whenever possible) to support@secunia.com.

Please take note that due to the large volume of emails, we cannot guarantee a reply to everyone. However, all reported issues are tracked, and detection rules are updated accordingly. Those feature requests that are accepted will be reflected on subsequent versions of the Secunia OSI.

Hope this is of some assistance.......regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
abanerji99 RE: OSI never ends, browser freezes
Member 29th Aug, 2010 18:07
Score: 0
User Since: 29th Aug 2010
Thank you for your help. Unfortunately, I am not in a position to test further on that laptop till the next weekend. So, if my problem does get solved, I will certainly mark your reply as accepted.

Meanwhile, I am on a Vista laptop, with the same IE / FF / Java / AVG versions, but no ZA in this, since using Windows firewall. I did an OSI scan on this Vista machine, and the results came within two minutes.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: OSI never ends, browser freezes
Expert Contributor 29th Aug, 2010 19:52
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 29th Aug, 2010 20:03
Hi @abanerji99 ,

The message shown of checking for M$ updates can be caused , in my experience of ZA , by the firewall settings of ZA not allowing the OSI using the embedded IE and/or Ff to contact M$updates .

If you enable your windows firewall and disable your ZA firewall you could test this ; if it is the problem you would need to review your settings - one at a time - to see which one is causing the problem .

The OSI must be allowed to read data and transmit both out and back in .

Have you changed any IE , Ff or ZA settings yourself at the time you updated Java ??

Hope this helps . Back to you Mogs .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 29th Aug, 2010 21:04
Hi Anthony,

Thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately, as mentioned by me earlier, I can try out only next weekend.

No, I did not change any IE / FF / ZA settings. The only change was Java update ... before this recent Java update, Secunia OSI scan would just fly in a minute or two. Post this Java update, Secunia OSI crawled to a halt.

So, although I have no confirmed reason to suspect Java, and never in the past, has any Java update caused any problem to me in any aspect, I get this niggling feeling. Unfortunately, Java is an online update (and just overwrites the existing version), and if I could get the previous version, I could uninstall the present one, and try with the immediately previous one. At least, Secunia would have told me that my Java was unpatched :-)

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 29th Aug, 2010 21:17
No more to add at this stage Anthony.... the input from your experiences sounds very plausible and highly likely the cause.....wait 'n see. Thanks.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 29th Aug, 2010 21:19

Hello again ,

As an afterthought(s) ; have you cleaned out your temp files and your browser cache(s) recently , similarly have you cleaned out the Java cache(s) ?? this has been implicated in the past in connection problems :-

http://www.java.com/en/download/help/plugin_cache....

Silly question , Does the OSI show that java applets are correctly loaded before it runs ??

Finally if your on fast cable , why not try out the PSI ?? it covers many more programmes than the OSI and does not use Java :))

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 29th Aug, 2010 21:55
Hello Anthony,

Thanks again. I have this finicky habit of "over-doing" cache clearance. Both FF (and IE, which I use rarely), are cleared by me everytime I am about to close them. On top, I use CCleaner and ATF-Cleaner frequently.

When I did a clean install of Java, I cleared the Java cache ... not required, but still. Even after that, I faced the OSI issue.

Yes, the OSI process goes right as it should be upto "checking for missing security updates from Microsoft". Meaning, the applet loads, and then I click start.

I have tried PSI in the past (once or twice). Basically, I have quite a simple system ... it's all work. OSI used to scan in no time, and it's just the comfort level with something I am very familiar.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 29th Aug, 2010 22:13
Last edited on 29th Aug, 2010 22:16
I try to keep cleaned up on a daily basis as well , abanerji ; in this case it makes checking the your system/situation easier .

Let us know what you come up with concerning ZA when you get on the machine next weekend ; leave this thread open and come back here . If Secunia get over exuberant and close it (by mistake) just restart a new thread and we'll pick it up :))

Catch you later , take care ,

Anthony

PS : Ff is vulnerable at the moment , see this thread :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/529...

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Sep, 2010 22:18
Hi Anthony,

I shutdown ZA, and Windows firewall automatically came on. Tried OSI with this setting, and still same problem.

I have never had any problem caused by ZA earlier. Like I mentioned, my OSI issue started ever since I did the last Java update. And even after uninstalling (& a clean install) of Java, the OSI issue persists.

As suggested by Mogs, have mailed to Secunia support with screenshot of OSI not concluding even after 8 minutes 28 seconds.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 4th Sep, 2010 22:37

hello abanerji ,

Something similar has occurred for this chap (Paul) with Chrome . It is not the same as you , but does point up a problem of differing Java installer specs .

If it is not ZA then it could well be something Java . See if anything helps in the thread :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/533...

Off to play now , will catch up tomorrow .

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 5th Sep, 2010 00:38
Hi Anthony,

Thanks for the link to the other thread. I got interested by E. Petersen's post : "... I suggest you ... down-grade to update 20 ...".

So, did that. Still no luck.

I will wait for Secunia Support's response.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 5th Sep, 2010 01:16
Have you managed to run CHKDSK at all....to verify consistancy ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Sep, 2010 03:18
Yes, I did run CHKDSK too. Generally, I do run it once in a quarter. But, after you mentioned earlier, I did run it again. All ok.

Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability