Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Updating drivers

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Open Discussions

This thread has been marked as locked.
taffy078 Updating drivers
Contributor 30th Aug, 2010 11:18
Ranking: 408
User Since: 26th Feb, 2009
System Score: 100%
My daughter has just been with her HP laptop - Vista.

She'd run OSI and (eventually) got the "100% all clear" but it was still running slow.

I suggested a pcpitstop scan - this highlighed 17 driver updates that were needed. 16 of them are Bluetooth stuff.

I didn't see the point in paying for a driver update program.

I then found devicedoctor.com - its freeware.

It seems OK - I've used it just to update one driver. But I'm rather cautious about letting a program take over my PC & update a driver. I think it was Maurice who said about drivers "It it ain't broke, don't fix it".

So my questions are these:

(1) can "outdated" drivers slow a PC?
(2) if there is a security issue with a driver, won't Secunia pick it up anyway?
(2) is it better to go to the manufacturer's website for the update?
(3) has anyone any experience of devicedoctor?

Thanks

--
taffy078, West Yorkshire, UK

Desktop: Compaq Presario (OEM) 32 bit / AMD Athlon / 2 GB RAM
XP Home - SP3/ IE8/ Norton IS - Secunia PSI v2.0.0.3003

Laptop: Win 7 / IE11 / PSI v2.0.0.3003

This user no longer exists RE: Updating drivers
Member 30th Aug, 2010 13:17
Hi,

If there is a Security Issue in a any software, be it a driver/firmware/etc, we will try to report on it. Whether or not it is a driver is largely irrelevant.
As for the other questions, I'm afraid I have no useful input.

However, several users of the program have posted feedback here:
http://download.cnet.com/Device-Doctor/3000-18513_...
And here:
http://www.softpedia.com/reviews/windows/Device-Do...

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
gjjean RE: Updating drivers
Contributor 30th Aug, 2010 13:44
Score: 192
User Since: 9th Apr 2010
@ taffy078

If a computer runs in a slow mode, maybe itís the multitude of programs and a little bit of RAM.

You can update your drivers by opening control Panel-->Device Manager--> and see if there is an updated driver for each component in the list.

I have used a program in the past (Driver Max) and itís a very good one. The site is:

http://www.innovative-sol.com/drivermax/

Good luck.

--
HP pavilion DV6
Win 7 64bit - SP1
IE10 + MSSE4.3.215
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Anthony Wells RE: Updating drivers
Expert Contributor 30th Aug, 2010 14:46
Score: 2463
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
System Score: N/A

Hello taffy ,

This was discussed in some depth last year - cannot find the thread atm .

I can confirm what John says ; (as previously reported) having looked at a range of software DriverMax was/still is the one I would favour - you need to register for the free version .

Whoever made the quote "if it ain't broke , don't fix it" was at least 100% correct concerning drivers , unless you are a teccie and know what you are doing .

Unless the vendor's website tells you a driver is in need of updating , otherwise it will slow down your computer , then RAM , defrag , file cleaning , etc., even malware are more likely speed bottlenecks .

Can you define "running slow" and give some details of the laptop in question (OS , cpu , RAM , etc.) ??

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+3
thedillpickl RE: Updating drivers
Contributor 30th Aug, 2010 21:09
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
Hi All;

@taffy, if my memory is correct, the three computers in your charge were HP. If this is the case, HP Update should offer the new drivers for download IF they are OEM (read: came installed). If using Device Manager to update other drivers, one nice thing to remember is this: If the new driver doesn't work as expected, you have the option to "Roll Back Driver".

John is correct, the #1 reason (that I've seen) for slow computers is lack of memory. If you open programs or browser tabs and never close them you will pay the price. Unless you're running Vista or Win7, 64bit and have 192Gb of RAM http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/max-memory-limi... .
> If that is the case, never mind, turn on what ever you like. :)

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Maurice Joyce RE: Updating drivers
Handling Contributor 30th Aug, 2010 21:34
Score: 11865
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
@Taffy,
I have got a Tips & Tricks on what causes slowness. To large to post here.

It contains:
1. Root causes which is more than drivers or RAM.
2. Test results for Driver Update programmes. There is not one that I have tested that does not contain false positives.
3. RAM - what U can & cannot do to upgrade a PC.
4. Other bits & pieces.

If interested let me know - I will do & quick check that it is completely up to date & forward it to U.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+5
mogs RE: Updating drivers
Expert Contributor 30th Aug, 2010 22:05
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
taffy
From my experience the "roll back the driver" option isn't always available in Device Manager. I had an instance recently....as it happened I discovered that 6 isatap network adaptors weren't working properly when my broadband was down ! At the time I was wondering whether they were the cause of it.....and yet couldn't get on-line to do anything about it....Catch22. They weren't the cause...sigh of relief....but as soon as I was up and running the faults were duly reported.
If you double click on an item in DM a panel will appear where you can check the status of each...whether a report should be sent etc. In my case, to MS with a record in Probs Reports and Solutions.
I'd certainly look at reducing number of progs running, and reduce where possible:
scrub/reg scan/defrag and adequate use of Junk File Cleaner and Evidence Remover in Revo....obviously making sure to back up as required. Efficiency is the name of the game with a lappy I reckon.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+4
Maurice Joyce RE: Updating drivers
Handling Contributor 30th Aug, 2010 23:01
Score: 11865
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
@Mogs
Got it in one. All Device Manager can do is the same as checking the actual programme to see what driver version is installed.

That must be matched by what is on offer from the programme vendor. Roll back does not always work if the vendor install removes the old version without back up.

U have got to be very careful as Anthony suggests if U tinker with HID (Human Interface Devices) drivers for example.

There are other threads on this subject which I will post here rather than Edit my post to @Taffy. One I cannot find is a test I did for Anthony & someone else on Driver Max & another Driver updater.

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/170...

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/227...

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+4
Expert Contributor 31st Aug, 2010 13:57
Thanks Maurice....have read thro' the links/threads you referred to.....must have been just about the time I started to take an interest/became active on the forum; so had missed them first time round.
I tend to agree with the "ain't broke/don't fix " sentiment....but do now take more care in checking thro' the system. I'm lucky inasmuch as I've also got a Toshiba PC Diagnosis prog which can run various tools/tests and will link to DM if needs be. Indeed, it was that, that first alerted me to the ISATAP problem. Also Toshiba Tempro alerts to new drivers etc.. So , in my case, some progs would be a duplication it would seem.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Anthony Wells RE: Updating drivers
Expert Contributor 31st Aug, 2010 18:23
Score: 2463
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hello All ,

As far as I remember the results of Maurice's comparison test (cannot see the thread either) and looking at some reviews of other "Driver" programmes , the major points would seem to be :-

1)No programme seems to detect all the drivers on a system .
2)Drivers are sometimes identified incorrectly .
3)Recommendations to update a driver are often totally unnecessary - caveat emptor as taffy might say . .
4)On occasion the wrong driver is recommended - not often .
5)These problems/criticalities crop up at at all levels from the Free to the most expensive .
6)Some tools like a driver back up folder are useful .

The programmes tell you more or less the state of your system . The pay programmes usually give you a "Free" scan ; they make "interesting" comparisons .

If you insist and so see something that might benefit from updating from within a scan , check it out at the vendors'/suppliers' website would be my approach .

For me , NVIDIA offer their display driver updates via FileHippo and that's as far as I feel the need to go - with the addition of an"audio" system driver update offered from the supplier . As a result of this ?? Haven't seen anything earth shattering so far !!

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+3
thedillpickl RE: Updating drivers
Contributor 31st Aug, 2010 19:36
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
Last edited on 31st Aug, 2010 19:45
Hi All;

A thought from personal experience.

[edit: This was when the netbook style of computers first came out. The Aspire One had not made it to the mainstream market and was purchased from mail order.]

When I bought my Acer, the thing had very little documentation and virtually no customer support to get it to work properly (loved the machine later). Customer support (oddly enough, when I did get through, spoke American English[Acer is a Chinese company]) told me I needed to try updating drivers. (Duh..., I already new that.) As someone pointed out, Device Manager only did so much.

After trying two free driver finders, with limited success, a friend suggested a paid-for one. A couple of hours and $35 later the Acer worked correctly.

This is a bit like finding the 'right' AV software. It's personal and subjective. If something works for you but not for me, I'll be glad for you.

Fred

p.s. To be fair, I believe that Acer's customer support has improved as they have more of a foothold in the North American market.

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Expert Contributor 31st Aug, 2010 19:56
My son in law has an Acer, Fred. I've mentioned it on the forum before with regard to various matters.....checking it out every three months or so etc.. He got it about the same time as I did my Toshiba ( 2yrs approx) : similar spec : if I wasn't enamoured of what I've already got.....I'd be inclined to go for one....considering all it's been thro' and the treatment it gets....seems a tough machine.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
taffy078 RE: Updating drivers
Contributor 1st Sep, 2010 11:00
Score: 408
User Since: 26th Feb 2009
Having finally updated my daughter's laptop yesterday, it's clear that the slow speed was due to a combination of basic things such as too many files opening on start-up (my WinPatrol-Plus sorted that!), not defragged in months etc etc.

Plus not enough RAM. (That's my fault - I should have bought her one of the laptops aimed at heavy use of music/photo downloads etc.)

I've ignored all the recommended driver updates as you've suggested.

Thanks everyone for some very informative advice.

Maurice - yes, I would appreciate an email per your 30th Aug, 2010 21:34 post. Thanks.

--
taffy078, West Yorkshire, UK

Desktop: Compaq Presario (OEM) 32 bit / AMD Athlon / 2 GB RAM
XP Home - SP3/ IE8/ Norton IS - Secunia PSI v2.0.0.3003

Laptop: Win 7 / IE11 / PSI v2.0.0.3003
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 1st Sep, 2010 22:13
Last edited on 1st Sep, 2010 22:14
Evening taffy.....how's your memory?! Ain't you gonna lock the thread ?! Ha!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+