Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Microsoft Updates

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Open Discussions

This thread has been marked as locked.
This user no longer exists Microsoft Updates
Member 1st Sep, 2010 18:24
Ranking: 8
User Since: 1st Jan, 1970
System Score: N/A
Hello.

Last week I did a complete restore on my computer. Someone updated the drivers and everything for me. Now I have to re-install all of the stuff I've put on my computer over the years so it will take me awhile.

Before the restore I was 100% up to date according to Secunia. Now two browsers are insecure (again!) and 6 other programs are insecure.

My question is this: When I try to update a Microsoft program, Outlook Express for example, Secunia takes me to an IE page and I have to sit there while it runs a check for Microsoft updates.

Not only has Microsoft been updating since I turned the computer back on, I also have Automatic Updates turned on, so I am wondering why MORE updating for Microsoft is necessary. I am really tired of watching those green slots zipping across the screen. and I have a lot of re-installing to do. There must be an easier way.

Thank you.

jitterbug

Anthony Wells RE: Microsoft Updates
Expert Contributor 2nd Sep, 2010 00:24
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 2nd Sep, 2010 00:27
Hello Jitterbug ,

Until the PSI gives you the all clear and M$updates is adamant that you have got all the updates for your computer it is a question of running the update cycle and rebooting time after time - the restore is the complicated bit , the M$ updates simple (we hope) but endless .

It may help to get a second opinion when everything M$ KB security patch wise is said to be loaded by using Belarc Advisor (free) :-

http://belarc.com/free_download.html

It will also tell you which programmes are loaded and some useful details thereof .

Have a nice cup of tea and put your feet up , everything will get there in the end :))

Once the M$ side is up to date , if you are seeing insecure programmes , post the installation path of the "problems" and the version N's and let's see if we can help .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
This user no longer exists RE: Microsoft Updates
Member 2nd Sep, 2010 01:36
Hello.

Thank you so much Anthony. I will check Belarc Advisor. I feel better already.

Best, jitterbug
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer