xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Frustrations with this program anyone?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Open Discussions

This thread has been marked as locked.
Buggs Frustrations with this program anyone?
Member 3rd Sep, 2010 17:28
Ranking: 0
User Since: 2nd Sep, 2010
System Score: N/A
Okay, I have done everything possible to patch or fulfill what Secunia suggests to increase my security. I have installed and reinstalled and reinstalled programs to the appropriate update, etc., etc., etc. It continues to tell me I have a severe threat. I am beginning to think this is a farce. I am tired of rescanning only to have one that was fixed now pops up as a severe security threat.

This will drive anyone to drink. I went from 12 threats to 5 to 7 to who knows what else will pop up as a new and already taken care of threat?!

Anyone else have this frustration? I can't believe I am the only one here. I think I will risk having my computer hacked!!!!! I have done everything it recommends. And furthermore, it doesn't tell you which patch or update you need, instead this is the most confusing website I have ever dealt with. Instead, their "solution" does not take you to any "solutions!!!" I can't begin to tell you how many times I have installed the patch/update/reinstalled Adobe yet it tells me it is a severe threat. I have installed Firefox a half dozen times and it still tells me it is a threat. I have rescanned and rescanned and it changes back and forth. I'm beginning to think this is an unstable website.

Anthony Wells RE: Frustrations with this program anyone?
Expert Contributor 3rd Sep, 2010 18:36
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hello @Buggs ,

Taking up drink may be less damaging to your health than having a Hacker steal you ID :((( all a question of perception .

Between sips , can you first tell us which version of the PSI you are using (and on which OS) and your normally used browser(s) ; then you will get all the advice you could ever need to solve your problems and allow you time for rehab .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Buggs RE: Frustrations with this program anyone?
Member 3rd Sep, 2010 22:56
Score: 0
User Since: 2nd Sep 2010
Last edited on 3rd Sep, 2010 22:57
LOL! I needed that. And appreciate your reply & concern.

Okay...

PSI Version: 1.5.0.2,

Normally used browser: Mozilla Firefox (which had all the updated patches, btw) :| weird.

The threats included: Apple Bonjour, Adobe - air, reader, flash player, etc.; Firefox, itunes, QuickTime, Outlook 2007, Sun Java (which was taken care of then returned). I think that is it.

Again, thanks for your graciousness and help.

Buggs

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Frustrations with this program anyone?
Expert Contributor 3rd Sep, 2010 23:18
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 3rd Sep, 2010 23:22
OK , Buggs ,

Nothing out of the ordinary and plenty of simple if long winded/detailed remedies are available . What is showing after patching is "likely" to be left over files , back up files or misplaced files . If the PSI can get it's hands on something it will display anything and everything it finds .

It is getting late here for me on CET so let me post some "tips" on using the PSI and see how they help , anything you cannot deal with post the pertinent info back here , where there are plenty of helpers who can guide you away from the b(d)rink ; it's up to you but dealing with one problem at a time , step at a time works best for starters .

Here you go :-

The key to finding the cause of your problem(s) is to get the "installation path" (step 5 below) and then locate and open the folder causing the problem using the "open folder" link in the "toolbox" (step seven below).

So : To locate the old version files , here is some advice for using the PSI in "advanced" mode , it is not difficult to use and will help you greatly :-

You need to get the information using the advanced mode of the PSI - use the link in the top right corner of any PSI page .

It would be a shame not to try the "advanced" mode ; so here are some tips for "looking around" :-

Click on each/all the tabs and there is plenty of written advice about what each tab contains .

If a "problem" shows in the "insecure" or "end of life" tabs , then to help resolve any problem , here are some instructions to help you first of all get the best out of PSI :-

1)use PSI in "advanced" mode ;
2)in the "settings" tab make sure that the box in the first/upper section is NOT ticked in order to have the maximum info available ;
3)tell us in which "tab(s)" your problem programme is located ;
4)in that tab , click on the + in the box at the left end of the programme , the page will expand ;
5)in the expanded page , tell us what is written in the "installation path" ;
6)in the "toolbox" section , lower down , the link "technical details" should confirm the installation path details ;
7)click on the link "open folder" and you will see more details concerning the location of the "problem" .

Posting these details will help the Forum help you , if/when you have a problem .

Each of your problems are commonly caused by "old" folders or files left behind at update or maybe they are on a back up system or even in the Recycle bin .

Let us know what you find and how you go .

Take care

Anthony

PS : my niece admires me for being "dis-gracious" , so let's keep your interpretation quiet !!

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Buggs RE: Frustrations with this program anyone?
Member 3rd Sep, 2010 23:37
Score: 0
User Since: 2nd Sep 2010
Hey thanks, Anthony! You're a gem. (Shhh. I promise not to tell your niece)

Will let you know how it goes.

THANKS AGAIN!

Buggs
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability