Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Macromedia Flash Player

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Figtree Macromedia Flash Player
Member 3rd Sep, 2010 19:19
Ranking: 0
User Since: 22nd Jan, 2010
System Score: N/A
I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Adobe Flash Player, but my PSI scan keeps telling me that this program is insecure.
What is the problem with this?
Is there an alternative Player I can use?

Anthony Wells RE: Macromedia Flash Player
Expert Contributor 3rd Sep, 2010 19:38
Score: 2454
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hello Figtree ,

There is not an alternative to Macromedia/Adobe Flash Player .

Which version of the PSI are you using and what is your OS ??

Can you find and if so what is the "installation path" and version number of the "problem" file ??

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Figtree RE: Macromedia Flash Player
Member 4th Sep, 2010 01:39
Score: 0
User Since: 22nd Jan 2010
I run the home version of Secunia PSI with Windows XP. I don't understand what you mean about the "path file".

The scan keeps telling me that this version of Macromedia Flash Player is out of date/insecure. I have uninstalled and reinstalled. I don't know what else to do.

Thanks.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ddmarshall RE: Macromedia Flash Player
Dedicated Contributor 4th Sep, 2010 02:08
Score: 1212
User Since: 8th Nov 2008
System Score: 98%
Anthony has gone to bed.

If you read through this thread http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/534... , you will learn how to find the installation path for the file Secunia has detected. You may also find a solution to your problem.

In order for us to help you, you must supply us with the exact version of Flash Player that Secunia is complaining about and the installation path.

I'm going to bed now.

--
This answer is provided “as-is.” You bear the risk of using it.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Expert Contributor 4th Sep, 2010 13:30
Last edited on 4th Sep, 2010 13:33
Hello Figtree and ddm ,

Am back from the sweet arms of Morpheus and so would offer Figtree my comforting tips on using the PSI to find installation paths as a supplement to ddm's help :-

Here you go (note:this does not apply to the new 2.0 Beta version of the PSI) :-

The key to finding the cause of your problem(s) is to get the "installation path" (step 5 below) and then locate and open the folder causing the problem using the "open folder" link in the "toolbox" (step seven below).

So : To locate the old version files , here is some advice for using the PSI in "advanced" mode , it is not difficult to use and will help you greatly :-

You need to get the information using the advanced mode of the PSI - use the link in the top right corner of any PSI page .

It would be a shame not to try the "advanced" mode ; so here are some tips for "looking around" :-

Click on each/all the tabs and there is plenty of written advice about what each tab contains .

If a "problem" shows in the "insecure" or "end of life" tabs , then to help resolve any problem , here are some instructions to help you first of all get the best out of PSI :-

1)use PSI in "advanced" mode ;
2)in the "settings" tab make sure that the box in the first/upper section is NOT ticked in order to have the maximum info available ;
3)tell us in which "tab(s)" your problem programme is located ;
4)in that tab , click on the + in the box at the left end of the programme , the page will expand ;
5)in the expanded page , tell us what is written in the "installation path" ;
6)in the "toolbox" section , lower down , the link "technical details" should confirm the installation path details ;
7)click on the link "open folder" and you will see more details concerning the location of the "problem" .

Posting these details will help the Forum help you , if/when you have a problem .

Each of your problems are commonly caused by "old" folders or files left behind at update or maybe they are on a back up system or even in the Recycle bin .

Let us know what you find and how you go ; don't hesitate to ask about anything that is not clear to you :))

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Figtree RE: Macromedia Flash Player
Member 4th Sep, 2010 20:10
Score: 0
User Since: 22nd Jan 2010
Thank you to both ddmarshall and Anthony for your assistance with this issue I am having with Macromedia Flash Player 5.x

I do run the Secunia PSI in the Advanced Mode and this is the installation path:

C:\DELL\drivers\R78333\Swflash.ocx

I then opened the Folder: R78333 and there are several files listed under that folder.

Now, what do I do? The scan I just ran is still telling me that this program is "End of Life Program".

Thanks.

Figtree
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 4th Sep, 2010 21:29

Hi Figtree ,

I know nothing about DELL and it's drivers . What I can see from a websearch is not a lot other than that the file location etc appears "normal" . It seems to have at least this association :-

R78333 MusicMatch Dell Jukebox V8.1 Rev A00

if that relates to any software on your PC ; is it a DELL machine ??

As you probably know an "EOL" is not necessarily insecure (yet) , just that the vendor no longer supports it and so it might have vulnerabilities in the future and you won't be told about them and they won't be patched .

There is no need for hasty action , but as it is in a "driver" folder , then rather than guess or play around renaming or just ignoring the file and unless someone has some better technical input (?? ddm) I would contact DELL support and ask them what they recommend as a course of action .

Best I can do for the moment .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Macromedia Flash Player
Handling Contributor 4th Sep, 2010 22:55
Score: 11830
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Navigate to here:

C:\DELL\drivers\R78333\Swflash.ocx

Right click on the entry & select PROPERTIES.

Under the GENERAL tab what does it "open with"?

Click the Details tab - what info is there?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+