Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: EMET V2.0 and EOL Software

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Open Discussions

This thread has been marked as resolved.
ddmarshall EMET V2.0 and EOL Software
Dedicated Contributor 3rd Sep, 2010 22:03
Ranking: 1218
User Since: 8th Nov, 2008
System Score: 98%
Users who need to run End-of-Life Software may be interested in the Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit V2 which was released by Microsoft recently. This tool can reduce the possibility of vulnerabilities being successfully exploited.
Read more here: http://blogs.technet.com/b/srd/
Download from here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?Fa...

I've applied all the mitigations to Adobe Reader and had no problems so far.

--
This answer is provided “as-is.” You bear the risk of using it.

Post "RE: EMET V2.0 and EOL Software" has been selected as an answer.
Anthony Wells RE: EMET V2.0 and EOL Software
Expert Contributor 4th Sep, 2010 13:19
Score: 2463
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 4th Sep, 2010 13:22
Hi ddmarshall ,

Thanks for the heads up , but I have a problem .

I'm not stupid and I can understand technical presentations ; however , if I look up a WebDAV or an SMB server , I can understand what I read but I have not the slightest idea what it means and how to apply it to detect a malicious (one or the other) server , website ; and an infected file !? I would not be able to see/detect it even if I fell over it or at least not until it bit me and that's too late .

I also hear mention of this being useful to Windows systems admins ; so how am I a/effected by it all at home with my PC and a neighbour who uses her WiFi to connect to my PC/modem "networker" which is in the internet zone of my Security Suite ??. If I run this "stuff" how would I know if it works ?? Will I get a seriuosly misplaced sense of security ??

You will be happy to know that I am not expecting you to know or have time to answer these questions as I cannot find them for myself and I'm good at/renowned for my resaerch .

The Inquirer article showing in Mog's CClip 21 sums up my frustration but does not resolve my lacunae ; I you have any of your expertise and light to shed , I should be grateful as I am sure would the millions of our equally dazed and confused readers :)) :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/532...

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ddmarshall RE: EMET V2.0 and EOL Software
Dedicated Contributor 6th Sep, 2010 21:08
Score: 1218
User Since: 8th Nov 2008
System Score: 98%
Anthony,

I agree that it is difficult to follow the literature on malware unless you have a working knowledge of the Intel architecture, Windows internals and C programming. I've never come across a simple guide. That said, the user guide that downloads with EMET gives a reasonably straightforward description of what it does (with diagrams).

Most of the features in it are available in Windows 7 or are enforcing best practice on programs. Unless you have to use end-of-life software which might have unpatchable vulnerabilities, it's probably only for the more paranoid who want to catch things their antivirus misses. If it was activated and something got through, the most likely thing you would see would be an application crash.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc72248...

--
This answer is provided “as-is.” You bear the risk of using it.
Was this reply relevant?
+6

chrisadam008

RE: EMET V2.0 and EOL Software
[+]
This reply has been minimised due to a negative Relevancy Score.

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+