Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: problems after reinstalling OS

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Nikilet problems after reinstalling OS
Member 5th Sep, 2010 03:26
Ranking: 7
User Since: 15th Jul, 2008
System Score: N/A
I've got a bunch of items under insecure and end-of-life. But first I want to address this.

When I click on the download option under each item I get a box that tells me the link I'm trying to open requires IE to function correctly and will threofre not use my default browser. Thing is, first I made Firefox my default browser, and second when I click ok, thinking it will go Firefox, it still opens IE and then just goes to the Windows Update page.

thedillpickl RE: problems after reinstalling OS
Contributor 5th Sep, 2010 04:18
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
System Score: 100%
Hi Nikilet;

I will not be back until tomorrow, but wanted to give a few tips.

> If trying to download updates using PSI, it uses IE for this. IE possibly needs updated to allow PSI to work.
> Immediately after installing the OS, install AV software, acquire your internet connection and update AV. If downloading AV from internet, go directly to the known site for the download. Do not browse.
> Use IE to open Windows Update. Select "Custom" and download/install all available updates, if prompted, power off computer (usually a simply restarting will work, but better safe than sorry) and restart. Repeat this until no more updates are available from MS. This will take several passes, depends on how old the OS is.
> Open Windows Update and select to update to Microsoft Updates, continue to check for updates as above.
> Download PSI to 'see' what needs fixing.
> Download and install other browsers and stuff. Check for function & updates as you go. If several done at one time and something 'breaks' it may be difficult to know which one caused the problem. If done one at a time, you'll know.

Hope this gets you started. I should be back in about 20 hours from the time of this post.

Regards;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Nikilet RE: problems after reinstalling OS
Member 5th Sep, 2010 10:40
Score: 7
User Since: 15th Jul 2008
Thank you so much.

I can't even think about checking to see what psi says is wrong yet. I am in such a mess. Nothing is working, including the updates. I'm about ready to have a total meltdown. When you've got 4 years of updates to get, seems to me like they'd create an updated CD or something.

If you are a prayin' man say a little one for me.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: problems after reinstalling OS
Handling Contributor 5th Sep, 2010 11:06
Score: 11865
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
1. Just confirm U are still using Windows XP SP3 & PSI version 1.5 series.

2. As U have done before copy all the paths to any insecure or end of life programmes PSI has found.

A reminder on how to find the paths.

FINDING A FILE PATH - ALL PSI VERSIONS EXCEPT VERSION 2 (BETA)

To locate the exact file that the Secunia PSI has detected, use or switch to the ADVANCED interface, then :

1 Click on the + sign of the programme to "expand' it.
2 Click on Technical Details in the Toolbox to see the installation path of the detected file. (Copy (CTRL+C) & paste (CTRL+V) the Installation Path of the file back to the Forum if U are unsure what to do next.

PSI VERSION 2 (BETA)

From the DASHBOARD page click on RESULTS.

1. This will show U the file that is vulnerable.
2. Click the + sign next to the file.
3. This will reveal the path.
4. Highlight it then copy (CTRL+C) & then paste (CTRL+V) that path back to the Forum if U do not know what to do next.

Update 4 20:22 03/09/2010

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 5th Sep, 2010 12:18
Thanks Maurice

Actually, I have Vista Home Premium. Before this mess it was SP 2. I can't even think about service packs until I get all these update downloaded. I sure wish I could just use my Acronis Recovery CD and my backup. I can boot into the CD ok, but my mouse is no good, and probably not my keyboard either. There's lots of people having the same problem but everything I've read so far is a little too deep for me. I've put in a plea for help twice now but not getting the best of responses.

If I ever get everything else straight, I'll probably be coming back here with my list of what-nots.

Nikilet
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 5th Sep, 2010 13:14
OK - No real panic.

How did U reinstall the OS? Was it a full reinstall using the reinstallation partition or did U use a Windows genuine disk?

It looks like U might have some out of date drivers. To confirm U will need to explain what U mean by your mouse & keyboard not working.

Have U got other hardware not working?

Have U ever updated or deleted any items from the reinstallation partition if U used it?

What make is the PC?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Sep, 2010 18:16
Last edited on 5th Sep, 2010 18:18
I have a Dell XPS 410. It has an option where you can do a "Dell Factory Image Restore" and that is what I used. When you choose that issue the disk is reformatted before the reinstallation begins.

I know I still have a lot of necessary updates, and I'm hoping that is what is causing my computer to run so slowly right now. Also, long ago I know I went to the Dell site and there was a BIOS update I installed and I don't know if I'm going to be able to find what that was so that could have something to do with my computer running so slow now.

But as to the mouse/keyboard situation with Acronis, that seems to be an issue with Acronis backup CD. The forum is full of it. There were a few who found relief from it but, alas, I couldn't follow the directions through to the end, or couldn't find what they were talking about. Once I get into the Acronis program through the CD, I need to select Recovery and I can't. My mouse will not go from side to side. It will only go up and down and very irratically. I couldn't control it enough to even click on Recovery.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 5th Sep, 2010 18:47
Last edited on 5th Sep, 2010 19:15
Let us kill of the BIOS issue first.

U need a little programme to help U identify bits & pieces on your PC.

Download & Install from here:

http://www.piriform.com/speccy

Now open the programme. Look down the left side & U will see MOTHERBOARD. Click that & it will tell U your BIOS details.

Now go to here:

http://support.dell.com/support/index.aspx?c=us&l=...

Once U have filled out the support requirements Dell will show U all the updates available to your PC.

Do the BIOS details match?

Edit: From your description it looks like U have this PC.
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driversl...
Just check it really is your model if U intend using the links.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 5th Sep, 2010 20:22
Maurice, I can't download that Piriform. I tried clicking on several different download links and it flashes and then nothing happens. I downloaded a couple of other things just to make sure I could and that went ok, but can't seem to get a download box to come up on this program. What am I doing wrong?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Leendert Kip RE: problems after reinstalling OS
Member 5th Sep, 2010 21:47
Score: 70
User Since: 22nd Jan 2009
on 5th Sep, 2010 20:22, Nikilet wrote:
Maurice, I can't download that Piriform.

Sometimes you get a security warning from internet explorer which blocks a download. If so, you should see a yellow coloured bar on top of the screen asking you to confirm the download. Does this help you?

--
PC: JJ Computer Services
Intel Core I3 2100 3.1Ghz
DDR3 Kingston ValueRam 4GB 1333
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits SP1
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 9
Mozilla Firefox 31NL

Laptop: MSI GT780DX
Intel Core I5-2450
DDR3 RAM 6GB
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits SP1
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 31NL
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 5th Sep, 2010 23:32
Works Ok for me. Try this link:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_speccy/

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 5th Sep, 2010 23:42
Leendert Kip: I didn't even get the yellow bar. It would just flash and nothing.

Maurice: The other link you gave me worked fine. I should have thought to try it from somewhere other than the author's site. I'm definitely ditsy right now. But hopefully I'll get over it. ;>)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 5th Sep, 2010 23:48
Just take your time - all gloom & doom at present but the sun is waiting to rise!

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 6th Sep, 2010 01:43
Thank you for more than your computer expertise. Funny how a small word of encouragement can throw a different light on things. Bless you. You are a good person, I can tell.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 6th Sep, 2010 06:35
Hi Nikilet;

Got back late, but see you have plenty of help.

I'll subscribe to this thread.

Good luck;

Fred

p.s. @Maurice, if problems controlling mouse, does Vista still allow keyboard navigating?

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Sep, 2010 07:02
Hello Fred,

Can never have too much help so thanks for subscribing and sticking with this.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 6th Sep, 2010 09:20
Fred is now back so i will bail out. He has plenty of info to sort out all the problems. Better U stick with one advisor to lessen confusion.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: problems after reinstalling OS
Member 6th Sep, 2010 10:49
Hi,

About Internet Explorer: Some links simply require Internet Explorer (Microsoft Update), which is why the PSI will ignore your default browser in some cases. This is because Microsoft has designed their update functionality to use ActiveX technology, which is only compatible with Microsoft Internet Explorer. However, if on Vista or Windows 7, you can use the build-in updater, with the same results.
Normal dowload links should open in the browser assigned as default on the Administrator user.

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Sep, 2010 18:22
Morning Fred

I have all of the PAST updates installed successfully now with the exception of the service packs and IE 8. Previously I installed the service packs first and then IE so am going to go that route this time because I had very little, if any, problem. All came through Windows Update. For some reason they aren't this time. Anyway, I tried the Download Solution in psi again this morning and I'm still getting the same message. I really don't get it because many people still haven't gone to IE 8 so why won't PSI open up the updates in IE 7?

Maybe we could deal with the 4 items listed under end-of-life. I have three entries for Macromedia Flash Player 8.x. Under Add/Remove I have Adobe Flash 10 and Shockwave Player 11.5. Here are the paths of those 3 items:

C:\Program Files\Dell\Mouse Suite\Flash8a.ocx
C:\Windows\Flash8a.ocx
C:\Windows\System32\Flash8a.ocx

Then there is an item in D drive and that is the Recovery location. Should I just make a rule to ignore this one?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 7th Sep, 2010 01:33
Hi Nikilet;

Apologize for slow reply. Found that my favorite game runs on Win 7. Had a 173Mb update to download on dial-up. Just finished, took about 18 Hours. Luckily I didn't get dropped.

on 6th Sep, 2010 18:22, Nikilet wrote:
... I have all of the PAST updates installed successfully now with the exception of the service packs and IE 8. ...

It sounds like you have Vista working, with the drivers installed good enough to use the mouse, keyboard, etc. Am I correct? If so, just take everything one step at a time and what every you do, don't panic. As I said earlier, install everything one at a time, not all at once. This will allow you to figure out what's going on in event of a problem.

> First, make sure you have a working AV product, fully updated with the latest updates. If downloading from the internet do not browse, enter website for the download directly into the address bar. No sense starting off with bugs.
> Windows Firewall should automatically be on. If desired the firewall can be changed later, stick with the Windows one for now.
> With a safe internet connection, finish updating Vista with Microsoft Update. If Vista is like 7, in the Windows Update window it says, "You receive updates: For Windows and other products for Microsoft Update.".

Sorry to be a pill. Things just work better if fully updated first. Believe me, I understand the frustration of, "Why won't this stupid thing work right?!", I have been there myself.

I'll be faster to reply now.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Sep, 2010 03:21
I have both service packs installed and also IE8, without incident. I really thought when I got all that done some of those items in PSI would go away, but the exact same 8 items are still there.

I don't know what's going on, but psi still give me that same message about IE needing to function properly and won't let me open any of the "Download Solution" options. Do you suppose it could be the psi program itself? I have version 1.5.0.2.

Could we start with the 4 end-of-life items I wrote you about just before your post? I'll wait to hear from you on those, and on this problem psi seems to be having with IE.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 7th Sep, 2010 07:25
Hi Nikilet;

> Please check the settings described in the FAQ's Running and scanning section, paragraph 3. http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal... Does this cause "Download Solution" to react as expected?

> You report Flash 10 & Shockwave 11.5 , these are the current version. As these .ocx files are located at file paths indicated by you (not in the Flash folder), they may be part of other software. Flash is currently at flash10i.ocx . Use "Open Folder" to go to the files on C:/ drive. Rename the out of date files by adding '_old' (flash8a.ocx_old). If any of the software requires flash to run it should ask to download. Did any not allow a file rename? Did any update to new Flash? Note: Remember these three files in case something isn't working.

> The recovery location on drive D:/ is a back-up or archive. You can make an ignore rule for the file or the recovery location it is in.

Let me know what happens. :)

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+1

teresap989

RE: problems after reinstalling OS
[+]
This reply has been minimised due to a negative Relevancy Score.
Member 8th Sep, 2010 04:44
As to the link you gave me, E Petersen had given this to me last evening on that other thread I've got going. I followed it and reported back that it didn't solve anything.

I did have a reply from that Microsoft Internet Explorer forum. They had three questions for me:

Any security software running when I installed IE8 -- NO; done on clean boot.

Does disabling Avast allow connection in psi -- NO

When doing factory image restore, was any trial McAfee or Norton security program installed as part of that image -- YES.

I explained all so hopefull they might have an answer for me. This guy seemed to recognize the symptoms and know the questions to ask. Maybe that's just wishful thinking. ;>)

Now, as to the end-of-life items ... I renamed the first 3 flash items and all is well there. On the 4th item, it was in Drive D, which is Recovery. I don't really know the purpose of that drive, but since I know this is an end-of-life item I created an ignore rule for it.

Under Insecure items there are only 2 left (there were 4 yesterday). One is Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) 6.x, which I notice is a highly critical insecure item in the Secure Browsing section for IE8. However, the path for this is also D, so I don't know if I have to worry about items in D or not, but am wondernig if this could possibly be the problem between psi and IE8. But how do I update it and make sure I am getting the correct update. I don't think I could handle reinstalling this system again.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 8th Sep, 2010 08:09
Last edited on 8th Sep, 2010 08:16
Presently I have only 1 insecure item which is
Microsoft Word 2002 found at C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\WINWORD.EXE

However I can't do anything about it because the Download Solution buttons are dead to me. I sure can't figure this out. I guess if I can't get things straightened out I just won't be able to use Secunia and that makes me very sad as I had come to depend on it.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 8th Sep, 2010 10:08
@nikilet
Not sure where Fred has gone. I also note U have another thread running.

I have kept an eye on progress. Not sure whether U have checked the BIOS versions or got the correct drivers for your mouse & keyboard which was an original problem.

I noted there were many OEM updates for your machine from Dell - have U crossed checked them against those installed?

Uninstalling PSI will not help. It works provided the set up is correct.

If U feel really lost contact me here:

maurice.joycepsi@btinternet.com

If necessary I can fix the PC remotely provided U have a broadband internet connection.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 8th Sep, 2010 19:27
I will be contacting you shortly.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 8th Sep, 2010 21:43
Hi Nikilet & Maurice;

Sorry, I had to go out of town yesterday. It was totally unexpected.

Glad most of issues resolved. Post here with results of IE8 and Word. I will stand by in case I have anything useful to add.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+5
Handling Contributor 8th Sep, 2010 22:05
Fred,
Have now had email contact. Looks like a fairly extensive list of issues.

I will hook up & fix them by remote which will make it easy for everyone.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+