Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Chrome 6 not detected

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
SithBoxer Chrome 6 not detected
Member 6th Sep, 2010 07:45
Ranking: 3
User Since: 22nd Jul, 2010
System Score: 99%
I just recently updated to Chrome 6 stable (6.0.472.53). No matter what I do PSI v1.5.0.2 refuses to see it. This bothers me a little as the new Chrome has been out for almost 3 days.

TiMow RE: Chrome 6 not detected
Dedicated Contributor 6th Sep, 2010 08:11
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
System Score: N/A
Hi SithBoxer

Also running PSI 1.5.0.2 on XP, I updated to latest Chrome stable (6.0.472.53) last Fri., on it's release.

I show a listing for this version under Patched tab, but only after re-boot and re-scan - program monitoring didn't pick up this change as is sometimes the case; but have lost the Chrome box in Secure Browsing tab.

Unfortunately I only noticed this yesterday, but it probably relates to the installation of the new update last Fri.

This has happened in the past with other updates, and has sorted itself out after a short while.

As you've now drawn attention to this, our friends in Denmark will hopefully pick this up and look into it.

TiMow

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
mogs RE: Chrome 6 not detected
Expert Contributor 6th Sep, 2010 08:19
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 6th Sep, 2010 08:35
Hello.
Are you using psi with the Advanced interface ? Are you looking in the Patched tab and, or Secure Browsing tab ? I do know that Secunia's rules for detection of the new Chrome have been ammended, as someone was querying after only a few hours, on Friday.
Where did you obtain your Chrome version from ? Stable and Beta have the same version number......and psi does not monitor Beta versions...nor dev, for that matter.
Hope this helps.........regards,

PS Thread referred to :-
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/535...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
SithBoxer RE: Chrome 6 not detected
Member 6th Sep, 2010 08:40
Score: 3
User Since: 22nd Jul 2010
Last edited on 6th Sep, 2010 08:42
I already looked at that thread actually and decided this warranted a new thread. I am running Windows 7 (32-bit). I am using Chrome stable and I updated using the update feature in 'About Google Chrome'. Also did the usual removal of the old version folder of chrome from user data after I updated. I am indeed using the advanced interface. It doesnt show up in either the Patched tab or the Secure Browsing tab for me.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Chrome 6 not detected
Member 6th Sep, 2010 08:55
Hi,

I am afraid I have not been able to reproduce this issue - Google Chrome 6.x should be detected.
Does a full rescan show Chrome 6.x?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 6th Sep, 2010 09:06
I'd be inclined to uninstall Chrome and download from here :-
http://www.google.com/chrome

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 6th Sep, 2010 09:29
For Information:
Having just completed a full PSI scan (v. 1.5.0.2, on XP), I remain in the same condition as reported in my first reply above - correct listing for latest Chrome in Patched, but no Chrome box in Secure Browsing.

@mogs - hi mogs, I also updated from "About Chrome" (as I normally do) - I think this isn't an issue with the Google download source, but more to do with those little idiosyncrasies that PSI throws up from time to time - as @ SithBoxer has neither listings for Chrome (on W7).

For my part, I was/am happy to wait to see if it sorts itself out, as it appears that those who are running 2.0 beta don't have Secure Browsing anyway. Although at present I wasn't considering trying this version until my current browser insecurities were more stabilised - when Chrome box was present all 3 were red (Chrome, IE and Ff.), due to Quicktime (plus usual IE - normally yellow, and (hopefully) soon to be resolved Ff. insecurity)

In this instance, for me, it is important to have the option of this tab at present.

TiMow

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 6th Sep, 2010 10:12
Hi Ti Mow !
I can understand your concern regarding the Secure Browsing tab....and hopefully other users comments 'bout it's absence in psi 2.0 Beta will mean it's reintroduction.
In the thread I referred to, the user was running the Beta and 1.5 psi: Chrome 6 subsequently recognized...tho 'few other details apparent....OS etc.
In this instance, I wished to ascertain the origin of Chrome.....I've done it myself a long while ago....when less familiar, and many sources of downloads.....installed a Beta version thinking it was the Stable ! As the Stable/Beta is the same version this time....it just seemed too much of a coincidence.
I too tend to give time for things to settle down usually.........have a good day.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 6th Sep, 2010 15:21
Hi again mogs

I see the relevance of your advice - I was unaware that version nos. for Chrome stable and Chrome beta had caught each other up (again). Just because my finger's not on the pulse, doesn't mean that the pulse stops "ticking", .... eh?

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear apparent from the version no. from "About Chrome" whether it's stable or beta. Where the v. no. is shown (top left in pop-up window), previously there was often additional bracketed info. - i.e. build no., beta or unknown (in instances when stable and beta v. nos. were the same) - at present there is no such info.

In my personal experience, as I don't tend to run beta progs., I expect (and assume) that when an update runs from within the stable application, then it should by default update to the latest stable (and not beta) version, and therefore I have a listing for Chrome 6.x under Patched - it's just my Chrome browser box that's gone AWOL.

Your point to @SithBoxer is therefore valid (as Chrome beta wouldn't be monitored by PSI), but if he updated from the previous stable version Chrome (from within "About Chrome"), it would also be logical to assume that the update would also be stable version, and therefore picked up by PSI.

Because of my browser box being absent, this led me to believe that there may be a PSI reporting issues, but you're right to cover all bases with your advice.

We will have to watch this space, or see if things sort themselves out.

Regards

TiMow

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Italia RE: Chrome 6 not detected
Member 6th Sep, 2010 16:52
Score: 1
User Since: 21st Apr 2010
System Score: 98%
For what it's worth, I have the same problem of Secunia not detecting Google Chrome's latest update. However, I discovered for some reason Chrome, during its update process, sometimes does not erase some of its files of the previous version.

Each new version creates a new folder named after the new version. For example, the current folder in the path below is 6.0.472.253. If there is another folder labeled from the previous version, the Secunia will read that folder for it scanned information.

To have Secunia read the correct files in its re-scan, I delete the (old) folder named after the previous version of Chrome, and Secunia will detect the new version.

These files (in Windows 7) are found at C:\Users\(Computer Name)\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Chrome 6 not detected
Expert Contributor 6th Sep, 2010 17:03
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 6th Sep, 2010 17:28
Hi All ,

It may or may not be relevant , but the SA says that version 5 has a CAT4 vulnerability and there is no patch ; the solution is to change to version 6 which is a "new" version and not simply a "patched" update :-

http://secunia.com/advisories/41242/

Still beats me why some get the correct detection and others do not . Is Google gears being shown in the patched tab when Chrome version 6 is missing ?? That is what the PSI displays for Beta and Dev channel versions (and Mog's Canary). Equally no display of Beta's in the "secure browsing" tab .

Like Mogs says , a reload may do the trick , plus all the other magic of cold restart and full scan .

Take care

Anthony

PS : TiMow , my Dev channel version displays (top left) as "7.0.503.0 dev" unbracketed and only the bracketed N in the bottom line in my "about" .

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 7th Sep, 2010 02:06
Evening ! TiMow/Anthony.
Top left in About, my Chrome's show version no. and dev/canary build. In brackets is the version no. again.
I agree with you TiMow....Stable from Stable so on and so forth. I just thought it possible that SithBoxer may have "begun" with a Beta, maybe without realizing it.
When I first downloaded Chrome, I didn't realize then that there were different channels: what the difference was....and I'm not sure that Stable/Beta/Dev appeared in the About box then either. Maybe even the sequencing in the About box retains the original format ?!
Anyrate, if that isn't the problem, it does seem to me that thro' the updating process the new version is somehow becoming corrupted perhaps, for some users; and that's why I'd be inclined to have a thorough clear out and do a fresh install. It's only what I've usually done when switching builds anyrate.
Tired now....where's my cocoa !

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Sep, 2010 03:30
Last edited on 7th Sep, 2010 03:47
I can confirm I am not on the dev channel or anything other than stable. I was on the beta (for extensions) a while ago, but i uninstalled and cleaned up and reinstalled the stable channel release and i have been on that since. Chrome detected an update in "About Chrome" and I updated. When i restarted I had Chrome 6 and PSI started having the issues. I have Google's automatic updates service disabled and check it from time to time. Tried a reboot and I am not willing to reinstall Chrome at this time. Still nothing in 'Patched' and 'Secure Browsing.'

Chrome is installed to the same old normal place so I don't know why PSI is having problems. [X:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\A pplication\6.0.472.53]

Just letting you know I am an IT Professional (Software Engineer) and I wouldn't be posting on here if it was something apparently fixable (short of trying to reinstall Chrome). I may try reinstalling PSI though.

For corruption verification purposes [SHA-1]:
chrome.dll:
8FA428B4B0304E2F9740C48977DBD45568889EB0

chrome_launcher.exe:
3A5D3DFA9129CEBADEA1A09D2662497F3F554300

gears.dll:
C0A33D42CEEDF848B2BEA4347E37CB44FC214080

npchrome_frame.dll:
D9C03D51250D00BAF7AA52DEB2C4CE869015CB1E

Can provide more on request.
Was this reply relevant?
+3

chrisadam

RE: Chrome 6 not detected
[+]
This reply has been minimised due to a negative Relevancy Score.
This user no longer exists RE: Chrome 6 not detected
Member 7th Sep, 2010 09:16
Hi,

The prescence of the file "chrome.dll" with the "version" field containing a 6.x version is what will cause the PSI to register the prescence of Google Chrome 6.x

If a full rescan still does not show Google Chrome anywhere on the results list, please submit a software suggestion for the file "chrome.dll".
You can submit a software suggestion by scrolling to the bottom of the Insecure or Patched tabs, and clicking the "Program Missing?" button, and fill out the form. Please put "Attn: Emil" in the name field, so I can know it was you who submitted the suggestion (we get quite a few).

The SHA1-sum on your chrome.dll file matches mine exactly.

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Sep, 2010 11:50
Last edited on 7th Sep, 2010 11:51
I reinstalled PSI. Chrome 6 is now showing up in the patched list... still not showing on the 'Secure Browsing' list.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 9th Sep, 2010 08:10
Update:

Latest Chrome is now showing in Secure Browsing tab, as from this mornings' start up.

As previously thought, a few days were needed for things to sort themselves out (please see my signature line below).

TiMow

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th Sep, 2010 08:12
Confirmed, its showing up under Secure Browsing once again.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability