Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Can't use the Download Solutions buttons in psi

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
Nikilet Can't use the Download Solutions buttons in psi
Member 7th Sep, 2010 06:25
Ranking: 7
User Since: 15th Jul, 2008
System Score: N/A
I am not having any trouble with IE8, except when it comes to Secunia PSI. When I click on the Download Solutin button in PSI I get a window that says: "The link you are trying to open requires Internet Explorer to function correctly and will therefore not use your default browser. Press "OK" to continue."

Then Firefox will open but it just rebounds by opening IE to the Windows Update page.

Does anyone know what this means or what I can do to correct it?

Windows Vista Home Premium SP2
Did a Dell Factory Image Restore; installed all udates and also both service packs and IE8. This same thing was happening with IE7 before I got 8 installed. I'm thinking this is maybe something in Secunia. Installs went smooth. No other problems than what is mentioned above, but it means I can't fix the programs that PSI is telling me need fixing. I tried making Firefox my default but that doesn't work either. If I select a Download Solutions button it opens IE8 even if I already have Firefox open.

Post "RE: Can't use the Download Solutions buttons in psi" has been selected as an answer.
thedillpickl RE: Can't use the Download Solutions buttons in psi
Contributor 7th Sep, 2010 07:36
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 7th Sep, 2010 07:42
Hi Nikilet;

If using FF to open Windows Update it uses the IE extension. You should check the settings in IE mentioned in the other thread. http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

There may be more to this but check there first.

Fred

p.s. In XP the IE needed to be marked as available even if another browser was set as default. Win 7 doesn't seem to show this. I'm at a loss, but PSI may not like running IE as an extension to FF.

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
F_BIG RE: Can't use the Download Solutions buttons in psi
Member 7th Sep, 2010 08:11
Score: 4
User Since: 14th May 2009
I know that PSI uses the IE engine. I just confirmed it this evening when I was trying to tickle the results list out of the program. (Will probably wind up using the logging command line argument) and found that IE had an active cache with PSI2.0 up and running, even though there was no session shown in process explorer. (I used Nirsoft's IECacheView, and MozillaCacheView to check what was going on.)

I get around most (but not all) browser dependent issues by setting Firefox as my default browser *and* not setting it to always check to see if it is the default. Of course, IE is not set as the default and is configured not to set it as such.
In Firefox I use the IE View Lite extension, set to close the FF tab when IE is launched.

Works for me.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Nikilet RE: Can't use the Download Solutions buttons in psi
Member 7th Sep, 2010 08:31
Score: 7
User Since: 15th Jul 2008
Last edited on 7th Sep, 2010 08:37
I followed the link and did everything it said.

I would like to know why I did't have to go through all this monkey business before. I've got the same system, same programs. Only thing is my system is cleaner seeing as how I just restored to factory image.

And besides, after doing all this it didn't work. I get the same message -- that this requires Internet Explorer to function correctly and do I want to proceed. This is making no sense. Has anyone else mentioned anything about this?

By the way Fred, can you help me with those four end-of-life things I gave you this morning?

P.S. I am using Avast Antivirus Pro 5. Could this program be causing this, even tho it wasn't before I restored OS. I just tried to click on the install solution again and this time I got a window stating that I'd tried this a number of times and instructions to click on the No and it would open this information page online for me to look at. When I clicked the No I got the same sign. I just don't have any internet connection from within psi for some reason.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 7th Sep, 2010 08:41
Hi Nikilet;

Hope someone has fixed this IE problem for you by the time I get back, if not we'll start on it tomorrow. I'm off to bed now.

I left notes on the other thread for the .ocx files and D drive Recovery location.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 7th Sep, 2010 08:49
on 7th Sep, 2010 08:31, Nikilet wrote:
P.S. I am using Avast Antivirus Pro 5. Could this program be causing this, even tho it wasn't before I restored OS. I just tried to click on the install solution again and this time I got a window stating that I'd tried this a number of times and instructions to click on the No and it would open this information page online for me to look at. When I clicked the No I got the same sign. I just don't have any internet connection from within psi for some reason.

Missed your P.S. as we crossed posts.

You may need to set PSI as an 'exception', 'allowed program', etc. in Avast.

Have a look and I'll check back tomorrow. If you don't find anything I'll see if I can find the manual for Avast on Google.

Not sure what time zone you're on, sorry if schedule is making you crazy!

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Can't use the Download Solutions buttons in psi
Member 7th Sep, 2010 08:59
Hi,

The reason the PSI insists on using Internet Explorer (IE) for certain links, is that these links run properly in only this browser. This includes Microsoft Update, that installs some ActiveX Controls.

Apart from Microsoft Update, the PSI should use the default browser of the administrative user. If this is not the case, I suggest you try following this guide: http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/471...

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Sep, 2010 10:03
Last edited on 7th Sep, 2010 10:04
Where, in IE8, do you go to make it your default browser please?

Also, my message is "To do this Internet Explorer must be functioning properly. Do you want to continue?"
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Sep, 2010 10:06
Thanks for your efforts Fred. It's 2 am here and I'm going to bed. Will be out of town tomorrow so probably won't see any of your threads until evening.

I've also written to Microsoft Internet Explorer forum and Avast forum to ask about this.

'Night
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Can't use the Download Solutions buttons in psi
Member 7th Sep, 2010 11:10
Hi,

You do not need to set Internet Explorer as your default browser. The PSI will use IE regardless of your default browser for certain links.

If, however, you want to set IE as your default anyway, you can follow this guide: http://www.freeemailtutorials.com/microsoftWindows...

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Can't use the Download Solutions buttons in psi
Handling Contributor 8th Sep, 2010 22:10
Score: 11560
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
@nikilet.

Got your email. U may wish to lock this thread as I will fix them as stated.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability