Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Scan Schedule

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI 2.0 Beta

This thread has been marked as locked.
BluRydge Scan Schedule
Member 7th Sep, 2010 22:45
Ranking: 0
User Since: 1st Apr, 2009
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 7th Sep, 2010 22:48

First of all, kudos to you guys for a great product. I loved the old version and,
so far, I'm loving the new one also. Now, for the dreaded "however" ...or "but" or whatever...I do have one small thing to grumble or gripe about.

It would be helpful if the new version included a feature that would give users an easier way to schedule weekly scans. That would provide the means to fit the scan into their schedules as opposed to changing their schedule to fit the scan...or maybe I'm the only one who finds this an issue. It just seems kind of "bass ackwards" to me!

I don't have a problem with the 7-day schedule. I do find it inconvenient, however, to have to initiate a manual scan in order to set the weekly run time. It's a CPU hog (at least it is for my computer), and anything else running slows down like "a herd of turtles." So I've scheduled all my scans to run between 3 and 5 AM (while I'm getting my beauty sleep)...and I have to say, staying up until the wee hours of the morning is, by far, the weirdest prequisite I've ever encountered. If that's what I have to do to schedule a scan to run when it's least problematic for me, I guess that's what I'll do. Hey, it's only one night without sleep, right? No biggie (a little scarcasm intended - but not much).

Seriously though, I really do think the new product is great. This was the only thing I could find to gripe about and you know what they say...A gripe a day keeps...or how about...A day without a gripe is like a day without... You guys can fill in the blanks; I'm getting a little punchy and worn out from all this griping.

One last thing, if I'm the only person having a problem with this, just ignore me. I'll pretend I never wrote this and you can pretend you never read it

Namaste,
Sandi

ram5thwheel RE: Scan Schedule
Member 8th Sep, 2010 15:42
Score: 0
User Since: 24th Dec 2007
I agree with the need to be able to alter the scan schedule. Here are some additional concerns or questions to help me understand the process.

If PSI only scans once a week, then at what point is the insecurity discovered, only at the time of the scan? That, if true, means the vulnerability could possibly exist for a week. I use Firefox and Thunderbird daily and I already had discovered that updates were available for both this morning but I wanted to see how PSI would handle the AU. So the scan was manually started to test PSI's functions. This would not have happened for another 6 days. I also would have been reminded by each of the above mentioned programs that an update was available through their own internal functions.

The updates did occur after the patch availabilities were discovered. I still am not sure then that this is an advantage as I check daily for updates for Firefox and Thunderbird while each are running. It is just as easy to click on update and restart the program rather than let PSI perform the task while using additional computer resources.

--
Thank You
Peter (Mike) Meyers

System Info:
Windows 8.1 (64 bit)
Intel Core i7-4500U CPU @ 1.8GHz / ASUS Laptop
8.00 GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Scan Schedule
Expert Contributor 8th Sep, 2010 20:26
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hi there ,

If you go to/click the "My Profile" link in the left hand column of this page (when logged-in) you can select/box tick "Software Inspector reminder" ; this will enable you to receive an Email telling you when Secunia update their detection rules concerning the "main/biggie" software on your computer as covered by the OSI (far less number of apps. than covered by the PSI) . You will also get a link to run the OSI .

This system beats the PSI disclosure time and usually that of FileHippo and sometimes your own time of consulting the software's internal updater . Obviously pre-programmed silent downloads as in say Chrome browser are the ultimate in speed of update timing , but you abdicate certain/all controls .

You could always run the PSI scan daily by manual selection and/or at any other time you choose - paranoia levels will be determinant .

Bear in mind that the 2.0 Beta only tells you that you are fully patched , it no longer tells you if your browser has "unpatched/no solution" vulnerabilities as found in version 1.5.0.2 "secure browsing" tab .

Hope that helps , if not ask :)

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
BluRydge RE: Scan Schedule
Member 8th Sep, 2010 20:53
Score: 0
User Since: 1st Apr 2009
Anthony,

Thanks for the input. It sure beats losing my "beauty rest" (need all I can get). I'll give your ideas a go...but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that at some point a feature providing some flexibility re the scan schedule will be included under Settings and just a click away.

I appreciate your help.

Namaste,
Sandi

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Scan Schedule
Expert Contributor 8th Sep, 2010 21:01
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 8th Sep, 2010 21:02
A˝jali Mudra

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Scan Schedule
Member 9th Sep, 2010 12:06
Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. I have forwarded your suggestion to our developers, who will consider implementing it for a later version.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer