Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Missing previous scan history, and no applications found

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
MrMarshallMan Missing previous scan history, and no applications found
Member 8th Sep, 2010 20:18
Ranking: 2
User Since: 8th Sep, 2010
System Score: N/A
I've been using PSI for a while now. I've gotten great use out of it. However, when starting PSI v1.5.0.0 today I got its introductory message:

Welcome to the Secunia PSI 1.0
Thank you for installing the Secunia PSI.
. . .
Please wait while the first scan finishes.

After scanning is complete, no problems are reported. In fact, no software is listed at all! It's as if I've lost all previous PSI history and PSI acts as if there is no software or OS installed on my system.

BTW, closing PSI and starting the scan over doesn't help. If fact, it goes right back to giving me the introductory message and has no history of the previous scan.

Q Has anyone seen this before? Do you know of a fix?
Q Where does PSI store its scanning information? This might help locating a root cause.

System Details
Windows XP - SP3
Secunia PSI v1.5.0.0

Reno Bill RE: Missing previous scan history, and no applications found
Member 9th Sep, 2010 00:05
Score: 4
User Since: 26th Nov 2008
Last edited on 9th Sep, 2010 00:05
I have exactly the same problem. I also run XP/SP3, PSI V.1.5. Hope someone can offer some suggestions. Thx.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
TiMow RE: Missing previous scan history, and no applications found
Dedicated Contributor 9th Sep, 2010 07:27
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
Last edited on 9th Sep, 2010 08:05
Hi MrMarshallMan (and Reno Bill)

As far as I know PSI doesn't store scanning information. When you run a scan it connects to Secunia's servers and compares your installed software versions with those on it's database, and reports any discrepancies at that time.

What you have described, has been reported by other members on the forum before, but could be too time consuming to find the relevant threads - which may or may not have been solved. If I recall the advice was to un- and re- install PSI.

The latest PSI (stable) version is 1.5.0.2 - you may wish to upgrade to this - see link ("Download PSI"), top right of forum page. Although there is a beta version (2.0) also available (from here: http://secunia.com/PSI2SetupBeta.exe)

You could also try: right click PSI tray icon (bottom right of task bar) and click reload interface. To fully exit PSI you also have to right click tray icon and choose exit (clicking the "X" on the PSI window only closes the window). Restart PSI from "All Programs" in Start menu.

TiMow

PS: I have found the following thread link- which also includes links to similar threads - which seem to be solved. I suggest you open the contained links in different tabs and compare advice/solutions.

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/476...

PS2: The solution does appear to be to upgrade to v.1.5.0.2 - it shouldn't be necessary to uninstall PSI first because the setup.exe for this version has a built in uninstaller. If you would rather uninstall first, though, PSI has an unintall element within the program found here: C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI\psi.exe. Navigate here using Windows Explorer or Open Folder icon from expanded Secunia PSI entry in Patched tab (Advanced mode).
At the time when this version became available, some users had problems downloading using IE. If you have another browser, I would use that - Firefox and Chrome were both problem free.

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+4
This user no longer exists RE: Missing previous scan history, and no applications found
Member 9th Sep, 2010 10:04
Hi,

Do your settings in Internet Explorer match those described in this item of our FAQ?
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Missing previous scan history, and no applications found
Expert Contributor 9th Sep, 2010 13:23
Score: 2463
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hi TiMow ,

As I remember from previous discussion , Secunia keeps the last scan data , along with your profile data , on it's servers and presents it to you using the interface of the PSI GUI , each time you open it ; it also keeps a small log file on your PC .

Any changes detected by "program monitoring" (if enabled) are displayed and retained in real time .

I'm sure Emil will correct me where necessary .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th Sep, 2010 17:51
I upgraded to V.1.5.0.2, and it solved the problem. Thanks for the suggestion.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 9th Sep, 2010 17:55
The only difference from your FAQ settings for IE is that I don't have Secunia listed in the trusted zones, and the box is checked to require server verification. However, since the update I mentioned previously, I have no more problems.

Out of curiosity, what role does IE play with Secunia PSI? I don't use IE, except when required by MS or another program, and it is never open when I run Secunia.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Expert Contributor 9th Sep, 2010 19:06
Last edited on 9th Sep, 2010 19:09
Hello Reno Bill ,

Glad that TiMow's advice has got you going again .

The PSI uses the embedded part of IE to scan your computer and to contact and check with M$updates and check with Secunia databases . It will attempt to use IE when you click on a PSI "solution" button where IE is the essential browser for the download :eg: M$ patches from the M$ website .

Not having the Secunia sites selected may prevent bits of the PSI not working in the future as per your original post :(( At least you know where to look :))

You do not need to have IE as your default and the PSI will try to use the default wherever possible - or tell you it can't and request permission to use another browser . The "auto-updates" facility in the 2.0 Beta do not select any browser .

Hope that is clear , if not ask .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 9th Sep, 2010 19:17

Hello MrMarshallMan ,

How are you doing ; do you need further help ??

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th Sep, 2010 20:12
Thanks for the clarification. I like PSI, and use it every couple of months to update programs that don't do it automatically, or which I only use occasionally.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
MrMarshallMan RE: Missing previous scan history, and no applications found
Member 10th Sep, 2010 18:29
Score: 2
User Since: 8th Sep 2010
First off let me say thank you to everyone who replied. This forum has got to be the most responsive of any community based help site I've used in a very long time.

Internet Options
I placed https://psi.secunia.com into my list of trusted sites. I also made sure I comply with the listed PSI system requirements.

This didn't help.

Full disclosure: I forgot that I had cleared all entries from my trusted sites this past Monday. I can't remember if secunia.com was listed there originally or not.

Upgrading to 1.5.0.2

This fixed the problem.

Again, thank you. The responses I got here were:
* timely
* courteous and directly answered my questions
* fixed my issue

--
Marshall
Software Engineer

P.s. My apologies for posting a known issue. In my defense, I did a search of the PSI forum to see if anyone had reported this issue before; but I came up with nothing.
Was this reply relevant?
+2

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+