Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Failure to report Picasa status correctly

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
Reno Bill Failure to report Picasa status correctly
Member 10th Sep, 2010 00:16
Ranking: 4
User Since: 26th Nov, 2008
System Score: N/A
PSI V1.5.0.2, on an XP/SP3 machine, reported that Picasa needed updating. I checked via Picasa, which informed me I had the current version. I then used the PSI update link to update Picasa, rescanned the file, and PSI said that the program still appeared to be out of date.

The PSI path is to I:\Picasa\Google\Picasa3\Picasa3.exe, which is correct. I use this partition for virtually all downloaded programs, nearly all of which PSI has no trouble with.

This happens with more programs than it should. Welcome comments on how to fix, if it is possible. Thx in advance.

Post "RE: Failure to report Picasa status correctly" has been selected as an answer.
TiMow RE: Failure to report Picasa status correctly
Dedicated Contributor 10th Sep, 2010 07:03
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
Last edited on 10th Sep, 2010 07:37
Hi again Reno Bill

Did you re-boot before re-scanning? - the program update may only be recognised by PSI after such. To check go to Patched tab (Advanced) and look for the current version number there.

But, it is also common for Google software (Chrome, Picassa) to leave the old insecure file after updating. If you click the following thread link, the solution I offered for a similar case may or may not have solved the problem for that user. But it might work for you.

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/530...

TiMow

PS: I think even though the location is on your "I" drive, it shouldn't complicate the issue if it is for normal use and not back-up or restore purposes.

PS 2: In general, when PSI alerts me to a program insecurity that requires updating, I open that program and click "Check for Updates" from Help menu (and not PSI Download Solution), and go from there - I find it throws up less anomalies doing it this way.

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Reno Bill RE: Failure to report Picasa status correctly
Member 10th Sep, 2010 08:12
Score: 4
User Since: 26th Nov 2008
I read the recommended thread, and followed its suggestions. It turns out that Picasa under the patched tab states that PSI has not detected any missing security patches for this program, and that no further action is required.

Under the insecure tab, however, Picasa is still listed.

It turns out that the tabs point to different partitions, and that by accident, when I updated Picasa a couple of versions ago, I installed it in the wrong partition. So the two tabs are looking at different versions of Picasa in different partitions.

I just updated again (there is serendipitously a new version, 3.8, just released), into the correct partition. Then I deleted the extra version in the wrong partition. Voila! PSI removed Picasa from the insecure tab, and the patched tab shows that all is ok, in the right partition.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction to resolve this issue.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+