Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: An error occurred while verifying the Security Certificate

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
kwguy An error occurred while verifying the Security Certificate
Member 10th Sep, 2010 21:37
Ranking: 0
User Since: 10th Sep, 2010
System Score: N/A
Started to get this error when PSI starts up. Can't get figure out what is causing it.

I get it from the current version (1.5.0.2) from the 2.0 beta and a similar message from the web scan.

Any suggestions?

Anthony Wells RE: An error occurred while verifying the Security Certificate
Expert Contributor 10th Sep, 2010 23:37
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

@kwguy ,

The last part of this answer in the FAQ's should solve your problem :-

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Let us know how you go .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
kwguy RE: An error occurred while verifying the Security Certificate
Member 11th Sep, 2010 00:17
Score: 0
User Since: 10th Sep 2010
Thank you. Are you referring to the section that references “Check for server certificate revocation"? If so, I don't know where to find this. I read above this section and looked in the IE Internet zone custom level security settings that is described and didn't see this setting (I looked several times. Can you help me find it? I am using IE v8. Question about this though, I use Google Chrome, does this matter?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 11th Sep, 2010 00:34

I have just followed this route and scrolled down the security section and found the required "box" :-

Tools->Internet Options->Advanced->Security->Check for server certificate revocation.

I'm guessing that you went to the "security" tab without giong to the "advanced" tab first if you ended up in "internet zone" .

Try again :))

You need to set IE for the PSI to work correctly , but you can have any browser as default - I have Firefox as default and use Chrome a lot .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 11th Sep, 2010 00:34
I found it. (I Googled it and found where the settings were.

I have tried it with “Check for server certificate revocation" checked and un-checked and it didn't allow PSI to run.

This is very off behavior as I have been running PSI for a year or two with no problems. Then all of the sudden this happened the other day.

Any other suggestions on what I can check on?

Thank you.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 11th Sep, 2010 00:55

It's very late here on CET ; so all I can say is make sure you have all the settings of IE set as described in the link . Set IE as your default browser (just for now) and reboot . Go to M$updates and make sure you are fully patched with nothing on offer at the update website . Reboot and try to run the PSI .

Some people have had problems with 1.5.0.2 and the Beta not running on XP , not your problem , but if all else fails try going back to 1.5.0.1 . Here is the link :-

ftp://ftp.secunia.com/PSISetup1501.exe

I will check back tomorrow , hopefully someone will pick this up in the meantime .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 11th Sep, 2010 04:27
Tried your suggestions with no luck. Older version didn't work any different. Anyone with some other ideas for me to try?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: An error occurred while verifying the Security Certificate
Expert Contributor 11th Sep, 2010 09:58
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
I presume you are saying that you've tried different versions of psi, on the one computer ? So you've uninstalled/installed a few times. It can sometimes cause registry errors to occur.
I'd be inclined to have a thorough clear out and if you do use a reg.scanner...check for errors.
When you do again install, set IE as your default browser beforehand, and keep it as such until such time as successful. You can then reset to Chrome etc., later.
I'd also check thro' the FAQ's :-http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal... FAQ's particularly note 3.
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...
HOW IT WORKS
If you're sure you've got all your MS updates and have configured IE correctly, I can't think of much else.
I would clear out etc., between each install/uninstall as a matter of course.
Hope this is of some help.......regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 11th Sep, 2010 19:48
Thanks for your help.

I managed to get the current version to run (did not try beta version yet). I did what was suggested (reg checker, default IE, rebook, etc.) and what seems to have worked was turning off "Security > Check for server certificate revocation". I definately get my error back when it is checked.

I'm not comfortable having to bypass default Windows settings and now wonder what has changed or been corrupted on my operating system? I would still like to troubleshoot this if anyone out there knows where I should start to look.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: An error occurred while verifying the Security Certificate
Expert Contributor 11th Sep, 2010 20:06
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
The explanation of your situation is already in the FAQ's....note 3/11 :-
"If this has still not fixed your problem, please try opening Internet Explorer, then go to Tools->Internet Options->Advanced->Security->Check for server certificate revocation.

The Secunia SSL certificate is signed by Thawte. If the Thawte site is not accessible from the computer, and if this option is selected, then the PSI will fail to connect to our site. So please remove the check at “Check for server certificate revocation". However, please understand that this means your computer would not notice if a site publisher revoked his/her certificate, which could indicate a theft or loss."
In other words, Secunia is saying to be mindful of the fact. It may be that a Secunia official may pick up on the thread/post on Monday and be able to satisfy your anxiety.
Hope this helps.........regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
This user no longer exists RE: An error occurred while verifying the Security Certificate
Member 13th Sep, 2010 12:27
Hi,

As mentioned, the problem with the "Check for server certificate revocation" is that, from some machines, the Thawte site is not accessible. If you want the PSI to work with this option checked, please ensure that you can access this site without any problems: https://crl.thawte.com/

If the problem persists, I recommend contacting Thawte for advice.

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Sep, 2010 13:11
Are you sure https://crl.thawte.com/ is the correct URL? As I can not access this link at all.

Thank your for your assistance.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: An error occurred while verifying the Security Certificate
Member 13th Sep, 2010 14:00
Hi,

Actually, I meant http://crl.thawte.com/ (without the "s" after "http"). My bad.
Try this link, and see if you can connect.
If you cannot, the problem is, as stated in our FAQ, the problems connecting to Thawte. This site has to be accessibly for the "Check for server certificate revocation" to work.

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Sep, 2010 05:14
Thanks for your help. It turned out to be my DynDNS DNS settings. Seems they must have changed something on their end which blocked twarte. I have it working now.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Sep, 2010 09:16
Hi,

Glad to hear it. If you have any further difficulties, feel free to create a new thread.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer