Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Sun Java - Repeated Threat

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Sun Microsystems
And, this specific program:
Oracle Java JRE 1.5.x / 5.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
wheelingon Sun Java - Repeated Threat
Member 11th Sep, 2010 17:24
Ranking: 2
User Since: 16th Aug, 2010
System Score: 100%
I removed all v of Adobe Flash thinking it was a mess (used http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html); then re-installed it using http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ not checking the google option (why do they include that nonesense?). Now . . .

Secunia just reported Sun Java JRE 1.5.x / 5.x a security threat Cat. 4 . . . I downloaded the solution; however, the Sun window read it's installed on my computer, do I want to download it again. I checked "NO.'

I am sick of Sun and Adobe stuff; more over, concerned trying to find their dang files that open my ports without my knowlege, permission. What next?

--
“Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth" ~ Thoreau

mogs RE: Sun Java - Repeated Threat
Expert Contributor 11th Sep, 2010 18:32
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
Last edited on 11th Sep, 2010 19:40
Hello.
Reading thro' your post again; I'm not exactly sure whether you are still seeking help with your problem.....the wording is a little ambiguous. But just in case.....you might like to read thro' the following thread....particularly the post by Maurice Joyce, which you might find of assistance:-
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/531... JAVA PROBLEMS ..........regards,

PS.
In future, could you please note that this, the "Vulnerabilities" section of the forum, tends to be set aside/reserved for use by Secunia staff to notify and discuss such.....thankyou.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
wheelingon RE: Sun Java - Repeated Threat
Member 12th Sep, 2010 05:01
Score: 2
User Since: 16th Aug 2010
It is up to Secunia to warn people not to use this section; I'm not a mind reader. Also, my system's reporting Java 1.5 as a threat, and I don't have that on my computer - my Java is a higher v.

--
“Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth" ~ Thoreau
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Expert Contributor 12th Sep, 2010 07:45
Morning.
There has been much contention and discussion on the forum, concerning the reply in your first sentence. History....advisors/helpers and new users have oft been zapped ( scored down ), for having appeared here. Generally, I've not answered those problems of the unaware.
The reason for my request being phrased as it was....understanding that you couldn't have known. I've no idea either why a more prominent warning isn't placed by Secunia...but most, if not all regular members, are aware of the situation.
That issue aside....my post to you was first concerned with resolving any difficulty you may have been experiencing.......I can read a thankyou/manners, at any time.
You do not say whether the thread directed to, was of any assistance or not.
When and if you contact the forum it would likely be more helpful to provide as much info as possible.....particularly details of OS and psi version in use....this info is often very relative to resolving matters.
Including some info in your Signature box will save you the chore of repeating.
You may find it worthwhile bookmarking the following links for future referral :-
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal... FAQ's
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...
HOW IT WORKS
Regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Expert Contributor 12th Sep, 2010 08:28
Thanks wheelingon....if you could please lock/close this thread by pressing Accept, it will save you and I receiving reminder e mails and tag on posts to thread.
Good luck.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Sun Java - Repeated Threat
Member 13th Sep, 2010 09:19
Hi,

Has your issue been resolved? If not, does applying the solution for Sun Java JRE 1.5.x and running a full rescan solve the problem?

If not, what is the "Installation Path" to the file? To obtain this, you must first switch the PSI to advanced mode (By clicking "Advanced" in the top right corner), navigate to the "Insecure" tab (where JRE 1.5.x / 5.x will be located if insecure), and clicking "+" next to the entry. The field "Installation Path" is what we are looking for.

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+