xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: What tricks to get UI to load?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
All Threads

This thread has been marked as resolved.
pascal1947 What tricks to get UI to load?
Member 12th Sep, 2010 05:40
Ranking: 2
User Since: 18th May, 2008
System Score: 99%
Once I can get the Secunia PSI UI to load, then almost always the problems are over and I can easily run a local disk scan to determine if there is softare requiring update. However, it can be a Herculanean task getting that UI to load successfully. I am wondering if others have difficulty getting to the UI screen and what "tricks" they employ to get there.

I'll start off. I try to keep my system as quiet as possible. Running an excessive number applications while trying to get the UI to load is usually self-defeating.

When trying to get the UI to load, I run TCPView (www.sysinternals.com) as well. If I see only a single "psi.exe" process listed, then I feel certain that the load of the UI has failed (perhaps silently failed) and I will have to restart the UI load. If the Window "Error: The Secunia PSI is unable to connect to the Internet " appears, then it is a simple matter to click on the "clicking here" link to restart the UI load. If this Window does not appear but only a single "psi.exe" process is running, then I "right click" on the Secunia PSI icon on the Task Bar and select the "Reload Interface" option from the PopUp menu.

So long as there are multiple "psi.exe" processes running, possibly with these processes being created and destroyed, there is some likelihood that the UI screen might eventually appear.

I might get the UI screen right away, or it might take several hours of judiciously restarting the UI load when it seems to be stuck.

Anyone who has suggestions or a different modus operandi for getting the UI screen to appears, please post your ideas.

Post "RE: What tricks to get UI to load?" has been selected as an answer.
mogs RE: What tricks to get UI to load?
Expert Contributor 12th Sep, 2010 08:11
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 12th Sep, 2010 08:13
Hello.
It might help someone to help you if you could start by being more specific/exact about which version of psi you are using/referring to; and what Operating System you're running.
XP users seem to have experienced the most difficulties....some having found satisfaction by reverting to the earlier 1.5.0.1 version and others to having moved on up to psi 2.0 Beta ( Auto updates available....but not all progs. ).
As you can see in the details below...I run Vista, but have had no great problems with any of the versions as they've evolved.
You seem quite knowledgeable and I note that you've been a Secunia user for quite some time...so I hope some of what I'm writing doesn't bore you.
Making certain that you've got IE8 (?) configured correctly.....perhaps something has gotten altered (?).....is it your default browser ?
If you've uninstalled/installed psi versions it may be worth having a thorough clearout and reinstalling ?
Hope this is of some help........regards,

PS. Worth bookmarking :-
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal... FAQ's
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...
HOW IT WORKS

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
pascal1947 RE: What tricks to get UI to load?
Member 12th Sep, 2010 12:33
Score: 2
User Since: 18th May 2008
I am running version 1.5.0.2 of Secunia PSI. Based on the creation time of the installation file I have saved, I've been running this version since June 1, 2010. I have other installation file versions archived (1.5.0.1, 1.5.0.0 and 1.0.0.4) going back to March 29, 2009. I think the UI has always been rather finicky with all versions I installed. Sometimes it loads. Sometimes it refuses to load despite best efforts.

I am running MS Windows XP Home 32-bit SP3.

I went through the Internet Explorer 8 (8.0.6001.18702) options as suggested. The only change made was to uncheck at “Check for server certificate revocation". All other settings were as recommended.

I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling Secunia PSI to see if that has any effect. But as long as I can recall, what I have described has been the standard behaviour for the Secunia PSI UI on my system. I have no explanation why the UI seems to be so reluctant to load. I wish there was better diagnostic information available from the failures.

I'll download the 2.0 Beta of Secunia PSI to have available for install. I always hesitate to install Beta software. You indicated in passing some sort of limitation on the programs covered by the 2.0 Beta.

I will certainly post an ACCEPT if I reach a resolution.

Was this reply relevant?
+2
Expert Contributor 12th Sep, 2010 13:09
It seems to have been; if my post-reading memory serves me well (!); that the 1.5.0.2 version of psi has been the most problematic for XP users.
That said, you say you have various versions archived....with no possibility of causing any conflicts ?
Personally, I've made it a habit of thoroughly clearing out the older or previous version.....my Security cleaner/CCleaner/Windows Disc Cleanup used;I also use Revo's Junk File cleaner/Evidence Remover; then Reg scan error check and defrag before install of new.
If you make sure that IE8 is set as your default browser beforehand, for the duration of the installation process ,it can help....resetting your browser of choice later, if needs be. You didn't say which was your default.
With regard to the Beta Auto version....I was merely pointing to the fact that not all programs are auto-updateable....it would be a matter of try it 'n see.
Hope it helps and good luck.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 13th Sep, 2010 02:44
I'm still trying to get UI to load.

My default browser is FireFox 3.6.9. Next opportunity to re-install Secunia PSI, I'll try making IE 8 the default during the installation.

I'm struck by the irony that the most difficult part of running Secunia PSI, at least for me, is merely loading the software and getting to the initial UI page. Once you get to the UI, everything works smoothly, scanning the system for installed software and reporting on insecure, out-of-date software. If only that UI page could be made to load reliably.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Sep, 2010 05:46
I've come to a difficult decision and uninstalled Secunia PSI from my computer. The valuable service provided by running Secunia PSI was outweighed by extreme difficulty in getting the Secunia PSI User Interface page to load when needed. More often than not, the attempt to connect and load the UI page would result in being inexplicably abandoned at the "Error: The Secunia PSI is unable to connect to the Internet" Window or else being directed to wait for a 10 second interval that never completes. I'm sure there are probably others like me who find it difficult or impossible to load the Secunia PSI UI. I would be happy to assist Secunia in determining why the software fails to load on my system. I'll leave the thread open in case Secunia or another user has the answer. I will check the Secunia Home page periodically to see if future versions address the problem.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 13th Sep, 2010 06:59
Hello again.
I can really only reiterate what I stated before: psi has a dependancy on IE that seems to be better established at install by making it the default browser until such time as successfully completed.
Looking back over your previous posts I note that you said you had other programs running whilst trying to get the UI to appear....that conflicts sharply with my practice, which is to run it alone. One click on the icon and the UI is on the screen in my case.
You did not make comment either 'bout my observation concerning possible conflicts with other versions you have archived? A thorough clearout may be good for the Soul ?
Here's another link to a thread concerning default browser problems....tho' not especially descriptive of your symptoms.....but it may give a little more insight or cause something to twig/click.http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/471...
In my case Chrome dev is my default browser, but I sacrifice that status each time when installing psi; more oft than not, running like a charm.
Hope this helps.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
This user no longer exists RE: What tricks to get UI to load?
Member 13th Sep, 2010 08:53
Hi,

If you have verified that all your setting corrospond to those in FAQ Item #s3 (http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...), could you please help up resolve the issue you are experiencing by providing a debug log? It does require the PSI to be installed.

To obtain a debug log, click "Start", and enter "cmd" either in the Start > Run box (for XP), or directly in the search bar (for Vista and Win7). Then please run these commands sequentially:
cd "%ProgramFiles%\Secunia\PSI"
psi.exe --verbose --debug secunia.txt

Please let the PSI run for at least 5 minuttes, and then email us the file created in your Secunia\PSI folder called "secunia.txt", at support@secunia.com

With this file, it should be possible to determine what is causing the issue.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Sep, 2010 11:23
I think its somewhat unrealistic to ask that no programs be run with Secunia PSI. My next test was to run Secunia PSI from Windows Safe Mode with no applications loaded. That requires quite a lot of careful planning as Windows Networking must be running and applications, such as a decent firewall, must also be running to keep the system secure from the always malevolent public Internet.

The versions of Secunia PSI which I reported as archived are only installation files kept on a large USB drive. I make it a practice to retain the installation files for any software I install so that I could reconstruct my system if the C: drive should crash. For added protection, I try to retain several of the most recent installation files so that I can easily install older version. I just wanted to clarify that I do not have multiple versions of Secunia PSI installed concurrently. I use the Revo Uninstaller to remove software before replacing with an alternate version.

I shall try to run the Safe Mode test of Secunia PSI. I shall also try to produce the debugging information running Secunia PSI after a boot with a minimum of applications (such a browser) loaded.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Sep, 2010 05:38
I am going to ACCEPT and lock this thread.

Before doing so, I wish to leave another reply.

I reinstalled Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2. I had first attempted to reinstall the 2.0 Beta but that caused further problems. Attempting to reload the Interface for the 2.0 Beta presented a completely blank window--no graphics--no text--nothing. I waited and waiting but this condition did not change. Exitting Secunia PSI and restart hd no effect either. So, I uninstalled (using Revo Uninstaller) and reinstalled Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2. Amazingly, the Interface for this version now loaded. For days I had tried to get the Interface to load earlier with no success.

So, Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2 is working -- at least for the moment. I'm sure that it will once again stop working and stall at some point. It always has so far.

Let me suggest to the developers, that the Interface does not always pop-up readily for users. When it stalls, as it frequently does, there needs to be a way to determine precisely what is happening and why the Interface is having such difficulty. I had been using the TCPView application as a very rough method of determining the extent of Secunia PSI's network activity across the Internet. I would certainly prefer that Secunia PSI provide that information itself (perhaps as a settable user option) so that I needn't run an auxiliary application.

I don't know what the problem could be with the 2.0 Beta. I'll wait until it becomes an official stable release.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+