xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Why is Chrome Secunia's Default Browser?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI 2.0 Beta

This thread has been marked as locked.
jfreibe Why is Chrome Secunia's Default Browser?
Member 15th Sep, 2010 01:33
Ranking: 3
User Since: 5th Dec, 2008
System Score: 100%
I can't find where to change the default browser to IE or even Firefox. This phenomenon has been this way in previous releases.

mogs RE: Why is Chrome Secunia's Default Browser?
Expert Contributor 15th Sep, 2010 08:46
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
Hello.
The following threads may be found worth reading/checking thro' :-
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal... FAQ's
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...
HOW IT WORKS
psi uses various settings in IE to work correctly....it's advantageous ( I've found ), to have it (IE) as your default browser when installing a new version of Secunia.
You can then revert to a default browser of your choice.
Hope this helps.....regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
This user no longer exists RE: Why is Chrome Secunia's Default Browser?
Member 15th Sep, 2010 09:18
Hi,

Since the current version of the PSI runs as Administrator by default, the default browser of this user is the one that determines which browser the PSI will utilize. To decide which browser is used, set the default for that user to your desired browser.

The PSI reads the "default browser" value from this registry key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/HTTP/shell/open/command

To see the contents of this registry key, you can open "Regedit" (by typing "regedit", either in the Start > Run box (or XP), or directly in the start menu search bar (Vista & Win7)), and navigate to the key in question. Please note that the contents of the registry are essential to your system, so it is not recommonded to manually change the contents of the registry, unless you know exactly what you are doing.

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
jfreibe RE: Why is Chrome Secunia's Default Browser?
Member 16th Sep, 2010 00:05
Score: 3
User Since: 5th Dec 2008
Thank you for your responses... however...

IE for my User Name is my default browser, but Secunia links open in Chrome.

I logged in as the User - Administrator where IE is the default user. I installed PSI 2.0 Beta for the Administrator User. Links inside Secunia open in IE.

I logged off, rebooted, and logged in as me, with Administrator authority.

I uninstalled (using Revo Unistaller) PSI 2.0 Beta, rebooted, and then reinstalled PSI 2.0 Beta. Again IE is my default Browser. In PSI a link on the Settings page still opens in Chrome. Should have opened in IE.

Puzzling... Ideas?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 16th Sep, 2010 07:06
If you click on the Spanner...top right of Chrome...then Options; what does it say,
at the bottom of the Basics panel ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
runrig RE: Why is Chrome Secunia's Default Browser?
Member 16th Sep, 2010 15:53
User Since: 29th Aug 2010
System Score: N/A
same "problem" here, in answer to your question mogs ...

Google Chrome is not your default browser.

button below that

make google chrome my default browser

... just had to check out IE9 beta, dispite IE9 being default browser, Chrome pops up.

There is a strange anomaly ... in Tools/Internet Options/Programs ... oh, jfreibe, that's where you tell IE to be default browser ... however, it then states, IE (64bit) cannot be the default browser ... is what I'm using as I'm 64bit but I'm lost on that statement. :)

excuse any spelling mistakes, IE still uses English U/S (un/serviceable) ;-)

--
heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Sep, 2010 17:24
In Chrome... Options/Basics...
"Google Chrome is not currently your default browser."

My platform is Win7 Ultimate x64. IE8 x32 is my default browser.

System is fully updated with Tuesday's MS Updates. Secunia is Green!

In IE8 Internet Options/Programs the "Make default" button is greyed.

Even with these default settings and the uninstall / install actions taken yesterday, Secunia continues to open Chrome as its default browser.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
emmjay200 RE: Why is Chrome Secunia's Default Browser?
Member 16th Sep, 2010 20:33
Score: 2
User Since: 24th Dec 2009
In the past few days some very strange things have been happening in regards to Secunia and Browsers. I think the gremlins were at work.

My default browser is Chrome. I logged on 2 days ago and immediately received a popup from Secunia that the certificate could not be verified. MS sent several updates my way...I downloaded and installed them and restarted the PC. After the reboot Secunia made an appearance and stated that my Firefox was not up to date (the auto update in Secunia had failed to work and suggested a manual update). Chrome opened up and could not load FF or Mozilla.org. I could not log onto Secunia either (though the web page loaded). I then closed Chrome & manually opened Firefox. It loaded just fine but could not update (manual update kept failing ... sent to Mozilla to load ... failed again. I closed FF and opened IE8 (no problems). I logged off and put the system into sleep mode.

Today I logged on again. Secunia did its thing and Chrome and FF were stated as not up to date. Secunia auto updated both Chrome and FF without any problems what so ever. The gremlins had gone on vacation.

--
MJ
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 16th Sep, 2010 22:04
jfreibe

As you have done various install/uninstalls; I would suggest that you need to do some cleaning up/clearing out before installing.
Personally, I'd have removed old/previous versions with Revo...cleaned with CCleaner and then ran my Registry scanner to check for errors.....I'd then be inclined to check again that all configurations in IE ( set as default ) were as should be according to the FAQ's...before installing.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 16th Sep, 2010 22:12
runrig
I'm not at all familiar with IE9 Beta but it does seem feasible that it's not available to use as a default browser.
psi is probably choosing to open links in the browser that is available, tho' not confirmed as default......guessing at it tho'....perhaps someone else has suggestions.......regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Sep, 2010 13:05
Last edited on 17th Sep, 2010 13:05 Hi,

Please log in as Administrator and follow this guide from Microsoft: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/C...
Choose the browser you would like the PSI to use.

If this changes nothing, please open Regedit as per the instructions in my last post. What is the value of this registry key?
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/HTTP/shell/open/command

PS: The handling of browser in the PSI is one of the issues we are looking into in regards to the PSI 2.0 Beta.

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
runrig RE: Why is Chrome Secunia's Default Browser?
Member 17th Sep, 2010 14:01
User Since: 29th Aug 2010
sorry, not meaning to hyjack jfreibe's Thread, but ...

IE9 is the default browser, it says it is, regedit says it is, chrome moans that it NOT default, but PSI still uses chrome from within

I'm not too worried, it is only PSI that likes to use Chrome instead of the "default" browser.

Regards
TTFN

--
heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Sep, 2010 21:40
Emil...
Thanks for reminding me to report the entry in: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/HTTP/shell/open/command

It's..
Default REG_SZ
C:\User\my user name\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrom e.exe -- "%1"

This is the problem. I did a regedit in Administrator login, and found this entry in the above registry item...
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" -nohome

I logged off Administrator and logged in my User name and replaced the Chrome entry with the IE entry and rebooted. I opened PSI and clicked a link, IE Opened! Problem solved!

Also... In Administrator login... I checked IE Options for default browser. It's IE 32bit.

Before finding the above solution... I again uninstalled PSI 2.0 Beta, ran all my registry cleaners, CCleaner, Glary Utilities and Advanced System Care. Rebooted, and reinstalled PSI 2.0 Beta. Still same problem where links are opened in Chrome when IE8 32bit is my default browser. All this would not change the PSI default browser.

Fortunately the above change did finally make IE the default browser for PSI.

I guess the question is why did the default in IE Options not change the default in the Registry Root entry?

Looking forward to your response...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Sep, 2010 09:34
Hi,

I cannot immediately tell you why the registry entry was not changed by altering your default browser while logged in as the administrative user.
That is the proper behaviour for Windows systems, which is why the PSI extracts the default browsing information from this key.

It may be worth trying to remove the PSI and setting your chosen browser as default before the new installation.

Either way, the handling of browsers is one of the issues we will look into in the beta period. Your experiences and feedback will be considered.

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability