Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Autoupdate should not be enabled by default

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI 2.0 Beta

This thread has been marked as locked.
jrivett Autoupdate should not be enabled by default
Member 16th Sep, 2010 20:29
Ranking: 6
User Since: 23rd Mar, 2010
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 16th Sep, 2010 20:31

Nice work - looks good. However, a couple of issues:

[1] During installation of PSI2, there is no option to control whether PSI2 starts with autoupdate enabled. As a result, it always starts with autoupdate enabled. That means that unless you pay close attention, after installing PSI2, all applications that can be autoupdated will be updated. I never want autoupdates to occur and was dismayed to find that several applications were updated without my choosing to do so.

[2] One of the reasons I don't use autoupdate is that there is no allowance for custom installations. As a result, one of the applications that was autoupdated without my asking for it, Opera, was installed as my default browser. I don't want Opera to be my default browser. Who knows what other installation defaults might change the way my computer works? The only solution to this that I'm aware of is to disable autoupdates. See #1 above.

[3] Because several applications were autoupdated without my noticing, I looked through the PSI2 interface for a log. Unfortunately, I found nothing. So now I don't even know for sure what was updated. Please add a log, or if there is a log, please add a feature that allows the log to be viewed from the PSI2 interface.

Thanks!

--
Jeff Rivett

This user no longer exists RE: Autoupdate should not be enabled by default
Member 17th Sep, 2010 13:11
Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. The change regarding Auto-Updates is intentional - the purpose of the new PSI is to make patching as easy and painless as possible. However, I will ensure your comment reaches our developers, who will consider your stance.

Under the beta, minor issues with the auto-updates should be expected. It is our goal to not install any updates that change the system configuration, but currently, the only other option would be to deactivate auto-updates for Opera.

There is currently no visible global auto-update log in the PSI 2.0. However, this has already been suggested, and our developers are looking into the issue. I will ensure your comment is added to the bugreport.

Thank you for all your feedback. If you have any further comments or questions, feel free to write.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
jrivett RE: Autoupdate should not be enabled by default
Member 17th Sep, 2010 20:11
Score: 6
User Since: 23rd Mar 2010
on 17th Sep, 2010 13:11, wrote:
The change regarding Auto-Updates is intentional - the purpose of the new PSI is to make patching as easy and painless as possible.

Understood. I would be satisfied if an option was added to the PSI2 installer: "Enable auto-update of all auto-updateable software after installation?" The default for the option could be 'enabled' and the net result would be exactly the same as what you have now, except that there would be one more dialog in the installation process.

Thanks.

--
Jeff Rivett
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Sep, 2010 09:46
Hi,

I will ensure that your suggestion reaches our developers. Thank you for your feedback.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
libove RE: Autoupdate should not be enabled by default
Member 26th Sep, 2010 08:59
Score: 31
User Since: 12th Feb 2008
I second Jeff's concern. Even on a tool whose main purpose in life is to make system maintenance as easy as possible for non-technical users, it is inappropriate for automatic updates to be enabled by default.

In some jurisdictions, making such a default without very very clear notice to the user might actually cross criminal anti-spyware laws (no matter that the intentions here are 100% good and the actors fully trusted).

And in any case, it is never wise to cause changes to be made to a user's computer without the user fully expecting them.

It is fine for the installation user interface to present a pre-checked "Enable automatic updating of apps?" box (with some descriptive text), as long as the user must acknowledge that default and have the chance at that moment to un-check it.

It also would be a great enhancement for PSI to advise the user when an update is set to be automatically installed and the Secunia community knows that the update could cause a change in default behavior (e.g. Opera's obnoxious silent install default to make itself the default browser) and give the user the option of launching the non-silent installer / supplying installer run-time options if s/he desires, or of course simply clicking "Next" to run with all defaults.

Thanks,
Jay Libove, CISSP, CIPP, CIPP/IT, CISM
Was this reply relevant?
+14
Member 27th Sep, 2010 14:36
Hi,

on 26th Sep, 2010 08:59, libove wrote:

It also would be a great enhancement for PSI to advise the user when an update is set to be automatically installed and the Secunia community knows that the update could cause a change in default behavior (e.g. Opera's obnoxious silent install default to make itself the default browser) and give the user the option of launching the non-silent installer / supplying installer run-time options if s/he desires, or of course simply clicking "Next" to run with all defaults.

Thank you for your feedback. I will ensure that your suggestion reach our developers.
If you have any further feedback, or suggestions for improvement, please do not hesitate to post them here.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
bhenshaw RE: Autoupdate should not be enabled by default
Member 1st Oct, 2010 01:23
Score: 18
User Since: 29th Apr 2009
System Score: 93%
I also would vote to not have auto update be the default. I want to have control over whether or not a program will be updated.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Autoupdate should not be enabled by default
Handling Contributor 1st Oct, 2010 01:48
Score: 11709
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
This has been fixed. During the install there is an option to switch off Auto updates until such time as users have had the opportunity to adjust the settings to their personal requirements & read the Secunia PSI Manual which explains how it all works in detail.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2

runrig

RE: Autoupdate should not be enabled by default
[+]
This reply has been minimised due to a negative Relevancy Score.
Maurice Joyce RE: Autoupdate should not be enabled by default
Handling Contributor 1st Oct, 2010 12:02
Score: 11709
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
That is NOT the issue if U read the header on Jeff's request. The old system gave no option to completely opt out. Many want that facility which has been acknowledged & actioned by Secunia.

The error is opting out of INDIVIDUAL programmes which Emil acknowledged from a thread I was involved in last night.

Complete "red herring".

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+8
jrivett RE: Autoupdate should not be enabled by default
Member 7th Oct, 2010 19:21
Score: 6
User Since: 23rd Mar 2010
Last edited on 7th Oct, 2010 19:21
This was a triumph!

I just installed the latest beta and I'm very happy with the new installer option to disable auto-update. It's exactly what I asked for.

Although to some this may seem like a minor issue, Secunia handled the entire process perfectly: release new beta; make it clear that you want feedback; tell people where to go to leave feedback; monitor the feedback forums and respond appropriately to client feedback; pass along feedback as appropriate to the developers; decide whether to make the requested changes; make the requested changes; make the new version available; and announce the new version both generally and within the feedback thread that suggested it.

It's good to see that support can still be done properly and well.

Thank you.

--
Jeff Rivett
Was this reply relevant?
+6

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability