Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Update scheduled - when/how

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI 2.0 Beta

This thread has been marked as locked.
Piilen Update scheduled - when/how
Member 17th Sep, 2010 22:34
Ranking: 0
User Since: 26th Nov, 2008
System Score: N/A
Hi I just installed PSI 2.0 Beta on a Windows 7 machine.
It scanned and found that Adobe Flash Player 10.x (NPAPI) was too old, and listed the "Install Solution" as "Update scheduled".
It stayed this way for over an hour while I looked around in the new interface - also trying to discover when it would eventually install the needed update.
In the end I decided to rescan and then Flash reported that it was Up-to-date.
When did PSI actually update Flash?
When I double click the line to see details and look for the auto-update information to see that it auto-updated it says:
- No updates have yet been automatically installed -
Although I know PSI must have autoupdated - what is going on here.
I find it's a bit confusing - although I absolutely love the fact that PSI is able to auto-update - this will make it much easier to administer computers placed with unsavy users.

Kepp up the good work
Morten

This user no longer exists RE: Update scheduled - when/how
Member 20th Sep, 2010 09:28
Hi,

When the PSI 2.0 Schedules an Auto-Update, it will create the job, then wait for certain criteria to be fullfilled.

In the case of Flash, the PSI will not update until the Flash ocx files are no longer write locked - that is, until no program is using the files. It will check every minute to see if the criteria can be satisfied, and when it is, the update will silently install in the background.

There is also a small update interval for the File Monitoring driver, which can cause a delay from when the program is actually changed, to when the PSI will report it.
I have no immediate explaination of why the update did not appear in the Auto-Update log, though we will be looking into the issue.

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
bollebolle RE: Update scheduled - when/how
Member 21st Sep, 2010 11:31
Score: 1
User Since: 21st Sep 2010
Last edited on 21st Sep, 2010 11:33
I have the same issue with the Activex plugin. I think it is used by PSI itself, is it? (to show the secunia system score) on the dashboard.
Because it wont do the update. And my guess is, because it is locked by itself.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Piilen RE: Update scheduled - when/how
Member 21st Sep, 2010 12:35
Score: 0
User Since: 26th Nov 2008
Thanks for the answer.

I think it would be a great feature to pop up a hint as to what program(s) where holding up an update when you hovered over the line.

Best regards
Morten
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 21st Sep, 2010 12:38
Hi,

While it is correct that the PSI in 1.x versions used Flash to display the Dashboard, this is no longer the case. The PSI in 2.0 Versions is completely independent from Flash of any sort.

If your application is still stuck at "Update Scheduled", try double-clicking the application in question, disabling Auto-Updates for the application, waiting 30 seconds, and enabling it again. This should clear out all cached files relating to this application.

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
bollebolle RE: Update scheduled - when/how
Member 21st Sep, 2010 13:05
Score: 1
User Since: 21st Sep 2010
Last edited on 21st Sep, 2010 13:06
Hi, thanks for the swift answer!

turning autoupdate off and on again after 30 secs changed the status from update scheduled to insecure. No autoupdate. Clicked install solution and did it manually now. Worked. Autoupdate fails though. (WinXP Pro SP3)

And good to see PSI now recognizes zombie installations that are still there after updating. (like all adobe products seem to have, as well as googles chrome browser f.e.)

I like the new PSI. But I recommended 1.x it to a lot of people that are not good with computers and I think the 2.x version lacks the clarity of the old version. I think they will get lost a bit, which is sad since it was the first time I was able to make them think about updating progs, too, not Windows updates only...
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Leendert Kip Update scheduled - when/how
Member 21st Sep, 2010 14:58
Score: 70
User Since: 22nd Jan 2009
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 21st Sep, 2010 15:52
on 21st Sep, 2010 12:38, wrote:
If your application is still stuck at "Update Scheduled", try double-clicking the application in question, disabling Auto-Updates for the application waiting 30 seconds, and enabling it again. This should clear out all cached files relating to this application.

I don't think such extra 'work' is necessary because the Flash update worked well for me for the second time. It was scheduled for update for about 90 minutes and then processed. I am satisfied with this feature!

--
PC: JJ Computer Services
Intel Core I3 2100 3.1Ghz
DDR3 Kingston ValueRam 4GB 1333
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits SP1
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 9
Mozilla Firefox 31NL

Laptop: MSI GT780DX
Intel Core I5-2450
DDR3 RAM 6GB
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits SP1
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 31NL
Was this reply relevant?
+1
libove RE: Update scheduled - when/how
Member 26th Sep, 2010 08:54
Score: 31
User Since: 12th Feb 2008
For what it's worth, I observed the same behavior as the original poster.
PSI 2.0 beta installed on Windows 7 64-bit. PSI correctly detected the need for the most recent Flash ActiveX update, and stayed stuck at "scheduled" for quite some time. (n.b. No Flash app / browser was running, as far as I know).
Quite some time later (>1hr) it showed as up-to-date.

It really would be a great enhancement for the interface to show when the update is scheduled, and if any running programs are holding open the necessary files then to show which programs are getting in the way to a) Educate the user and b) Allow the user to help if s/he so desires by closing the interfering programs.

Thanks.
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Member 27th Sep, 2010 14:45
Hi,

on 26th Sep, 2010 08:54, libove wrote:

It really would be a great enhancement for the interface to show when the update is scheduled, and if any running programs are holding open the necessary files then to show which programs are getting in the way to a) Educate the user and b) Allow the user to help if s/he so desires by closing the interfering programs.

Thank you for your feedback. I will ensure that your suggestion reaches our developers.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer