Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Feedback for PSI 2.0 Beta -- Auto-Update

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI 2.0 Beta

This thread has been marked as locked.
alanfeld Feedback for PSI 2.0 Beta -- Auto-Update
Member 21st Sep, 2010 17:41
Ranking: 5
User Since: 19th Dec, 2007
System Score: N/A
Hi, the new Auto-Update feature worked like a charm for the just released update to Adobe Flash Player. There is one oddity however:

In the Auto-Update History for Adobe Flash Player 10.x it says the following:

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 5:03:49 PM --> Ran installation of version 10.1.85.3 (ActiveX)

The time is way off -- 5:03pm has not arrived yet (it is around 11:30am EDT) and this isn't even in Greenwich Mean Time as even that would be 3:30pm GMT).

Maybe the update occurred at 11:03am EDT but Secunia PSI is listing the time using a timezone two hours ahead of GMT? Just guessing here.

Anthony Wells RE: Feedback for PSI 2.0 Beta -- Auto-Update
Expert Contributor 21st Sep, 2010 17:59
Score: 2384
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 21st Sep, 2010 17:59
Hello @alanfeld ,

All Secunia times are CET which is GMT + 2 currently on summertime and will be GMT + 1 for witertime . Please note that the USA and Europe do not change over on the same weekend - at least not in the recent past :-

http://www.worldtimezone.com/

Hope this is clear enough .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
alanfeld RE: Feedback for PSI 2.0 Beta -- Auto-Update
Member 21st Sep, 2010 18:18
Score: 5
Hello Anthony,

Ah, that is what I was suspecting (that perhaps Secunia was using a timezone from where the company is located). My suggestion to the Secunia PSI team would be to display the time using the local time of the computer where the application is being run from. If for some reason that is not possible I strongly suggest adding a time offset to the times like so:

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 5:03:49 PM (+0200)

Without the time offset or any other indication as to what timezone the time is listed in users such as myself will assume the time is being displayed in the local time of the computer that application is running on.

Anyway, that is my feedback. Thanks for your explanation. I appreciate that.

Cheers,

Alan
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Feedback for PSI 2.0 Beta -- Auto-Update
Expert Contributor 21st Sep, 2010 18:37
Score: 2384

Hi Alan ,

I believe that this Secunia Forum (and software) is one of the few to use one time zone for all posts etc. ; this allows people to refer to a common time when referencing another post .

It's OK by me -I'm on CET :)) - and apparently most people are used to it ; or at least very few - maybe one per month - raise the point as a problem .

Maybe someone from Secunia will comment further . At least the Beta has stopped resetting the auto-scan date/time by one week + or - the time difference which did annoy .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 21st Sep, 2010 22:43
Hi Anthony,

LOL, that's funny (that you're ok with the time functionality because it always chooses the timezone you happen to be in). ;-)

Yeah, hey, I'll get used to it for sure, and it's not a big deal since the software is free and it provides great value to me so I'm definitely willing to look the other way. I just figured I'd try to "give back" to Secunia by offering my suggestion because in my opinion it makes much more sense to display the time of events based on the timezone that the person "viewing" the time would expect -- i.e. I'm sitting at my computer ... looking at events that Secunia took automatically so it's only natural to expect to see those events listed in the timezone I'm located in just like when we go into the Event Viewer of the operating system we expect to see those events in our local timezone as opposed to say Pacific Daylight Time like where the manufacturer of that software is located (i.e. Microsoft). ;-)

Anyway, thanks again for the explanation, Anthony.

Cheers,

Alan
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Feedback for PSI 2.0 Beta -- Auto-Update
Member 22nd Sep, 2010 10:29
Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. As Anthony pointed out, we currently use CET for most timestamps, since our Corporate Headquaters are located in Copenhagen, Denmark.

However, I will ensure that your comments reach our developers, who will consider it for a future version.

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 23rd Sep, 2010 10:02
Sure, thanks Emil ! :-)

Alan
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Factsheets
Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability