Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: NIS 2010 Created Firewall Rules for Secunia v. 1.5.0.2

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
GingerW NIS 2010 Created Firewall Rules for Secunia v. 1.5.0.2
Member 24th Sep, 2010 00:18
Ranking: 1
User Since: 23rd Sep, 2010
System Score: N/A
I noticed today before running LiveUpdate, I checked the History and noticed that NIS 2010 made Firewall rule changes to Secunia. The tray icon does not show up and I have Secunia set to run automatically and a message displayed the following information:

An error occurred while verifying the Security Certificate.

The Secunia PSI cannot continue its execution.

Secunia was working yesterday. I updated Adobe through Secunia with no problems yesterday. I don't know what changes Norton made to my program. They seem to randomly change settings to some of my programs. How do I fix this problem? Thanks so much in advance for your help.

Ginger

--
XP Home Edition Version 2002 SP3 x86
FF 3.6.10, IE8
NIS 2010, WinPatrol, NoScript

Maurice Joyce RE: NIS 2010 Created Firewall Rules for Secunia v. 1.5.0.2
Handling Contributor 24th Sep, 2010 00:34
Score: 11865
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Not sure this is a Norton problem.

Have U tried this?

CONNECTING TO THE SECUNIA SERVER

http://secunia.com/products/consumer/PSI/faq/#s3

U may also wish to check this setting:

Open Internet Explorer and go to Tools>Internet Options>Advanced>Security>Check for server certificate revocation.

The Secunia SSL certificate is signed by Thawte. If the Thawte site is not accessible from the computer or this option is selected, then PSI will fail to connect to Secunia. Just remove the tick (check mark) against “Check for server certificate revocation".

If this post has solved your problem could you please select the ACCEPT option. This will lock the thread and stop you & I from receiving unnecessary update emails.

Update 6 22:30 04/09/2010

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
GingerW RE: NIS 2010 Created Firewall Rules for Secunia v. 1.5.0.2
Member 24th Sep, 2010 02:51
Score: 1
User Since: 23rd Sep 2010
Maurice,
Thanks so much for replying to my query.

on 24th Sep, 2010 00:34, Maurice Joyce wrote:

Have U tried this?

http://secunia.com/products/consumer/PSI/faq/#s3 ===> This gave me the same message.

U may also wish to check this setting:

Open Internet Explorer and go to Tools>Internet Options>Advanced>Security>Check for server certificate revocation.

The Secunia SSL certificate is signed by Thawte (How do you check for Thawte on the SSL Certificate?).

If the Thawte site is not accessible from the computer or this option is selected, then PSI will fail to connect to Secunia. Just remove the tick (check mark) against “Check for server certificate revocation". (I don't feel comfortable removing the check mark.)

Update 6 22:30 04/09/2010

I just remembered yesterday that I followed a solution to a problem I had with IE7 showing up as Insecure Browser. The solution given was to create an Ignore Rule on the c:\i386 folder. Would this have caused the blockage of PSI? How do I access the settings to remove this Ignore Rule? Thanks so much.

--
FF 3.6.10, IE8
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: NIS 2010 Created Firewall Rules for Secunia v. 1.5.0.2
Member 24th Sep, 2010 08:38
Hi,

No Ignore Rules will prevent the PSI from running.

As Maurice said, the settings described in this item of our FAQ are very important:
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Do your settings in Internet Explorer match those described in this FAQ item exactly?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 25th Sep, 2010 03:53
Hi,

No Ignore Rules will prevent the PSI from running.
--------------

Then I wonder why that advice was given to a similar user with a similar problem "Uninstalled Internet Explorer 7 when I have Internet Explorer 8 installed problem" I had with PSI running.

--------------

As Maurice said, the settings described in this item of our FAQ are very important:

Do your settings in Internet Explorer match those described in this FAQ item exactly?

--------------

I did uncheck the server revocation and added the sites listed in the FAQ in IE8. BTW, I use FF for surfing and IE for OS maintenance only.

Steps Taken:
I uninstalled and reinstalled PSI 3 times with the same error messages below:

I. Installation of PSI:

RUNDLL
Error loading syssetup
The specified module could not be found.

I found syssetup.dll on my computer.

II. Launch of PSI:

Secunia PSI:
Unable to retrieve PSI user ID from Secunia. Please verify that you are able to connect to https://psi.secunia.com/ and restart Secunia.

Blurb Note: about Proxy server not available.

What PSI user ID? I do not have dial-up or use any kind of proxy server.

Thanks so much.

--
FF 3.6.10, IE8
Was this reply relevant?
+1
mogs RE: NIS 2010 Created Firewall Rules for Secunia v. 1.5.0.2
Expert Contributor 25th Sep, 2010 10:16
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Hello.
Reading thro' this thread this morning; it all "sounds" confused and muddled.
If you have managed since to get yourself sorted...please ignore this post.

Firstly; what version of psi are you trying to install on your XP ? Some people have had no success with version 1.5.0.2 nor psi 2.0 Beta; and have reverted to 1.5.0.1 found here ftp://ftp.secunia.com/PSISetup1501.exe VERSION 1.5.0.1
I notice that you've tried three times to install....it can raise registry errors.
I'd be inclined to start again...afresh. Uninstall, and have a thorough clean up:
and defrag before installing.

Which browser are you using as default browser at the time of install ? I've found that using IE8 as default whilst installing psi is advantageous...you can revert to FFox once successful. Also, confirm that all configuarations are exactly as those shown in the FAQ's prior to install.
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal... FAQ's
HOW IT WORKS
Regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Expert Contributor 25th Sep, 2010 10:16
Last edited on 25th Sep, 2010 10:19
....duplication

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 26th Sep, 2010 03:27
Hi Mogs,

Sequence of Posts and Responses to My Problem:

NIS 2010 Created Firewall Rules for Secunia v. 1.5.0.2

24th Sep, 2010 00:18

I noticed today before running LiveUpdate, I checked the History and noticed that NIS 2010 made Firewall rule changes to Secunia. The tray icon does not show up and I have Secunia set to run automatically and a message displayed the following information:

An error occurred while verifying the Security Certificate.

The Secunia PSI cannot continue its execution.

Secunia was working yesterday. I updated Adobe through Secunia with no problems yesterday. I don't know what changes Norton made to my program. They seem to randomly change settings to some of my programs. How do I fix this problem? Thanks so much in advance for your help.

Ginger

24th Sep, 2010 00:34

My first reply to Maurice's response to my inital query:

RE: NIS 2010 Created Firewall Rules for Secunia v. 1.5.0.2
24th Sep, 2010 02:51

Maurice,
Thanks so much for replying to my query.

Maurice: Have U tried this?

http://secunia.com/products/consumer/PSI/faq/#s3

Ginger: This gave me the same message.

Maurice: The Secunia SSL certificate is signed by Thawte.

Ginger: How do you check for Thawte on the SSL Certificate?

Maurice: Just remove the tick (check mark) against “Check for server certificate revocation".

Ginger: I don't feel comfortable removing the check mark.

Ginger's Additional Note:

I just remembered yesterday that I followed a solution to a problem I had with IE7 showing up as Insecure Browser. The solution given was to create an Ignore Rule on the c:\i386 folder. Would this have caused the blockage of PSI? How do I access the settings to remove this Ignore Rule? Thanks so much.

25th Sep, 2010 03:53

Hi,

Emil: No Ignore Rules will prevent the PSI from running.
--------------

Ginger: Then I wonder why that advice was given to a similar user with a similar problem "Uninstalled Internet Explorer 7 when I have Internet Explorer 8 installed problem" I had with PSI running.

Emil: Do your settings in Internet Explorer match those described in this FAQ item exactly?

Ginger: I did uncheck the server revocation and added the sites listed in the FAQ in IE8. BTW, I use FF for surfing and IE for OS maintenance only.

Steps Taken:
I uninstalled and reinstalled PSI 3 times with the same error messages below:

I. Installation of PSI:

RUNDLL
Error loading syssetup

II. Launch of PSI:

Secunia PSI:
Unable to retrieve PSI user ID from Secunia. Please verify that you are able to connect to https://psi.secunia.com/ and restart Secunia.

Thanks so much.

25th Sep, 2010 10:16

Mogs: Firstly; what version of psi are you trying to install on your XP ?

Ginger: RE: NIS 2010 Created Firewall Rules for Secunia v. 1.5.0.2

I used Revo Uninstaller to uninstall Secunia then the Uninstall file in the Secunia folder. I have removed instances of where it would show up by also using CCleaner.

I will defrag again.

As stated earlier, I use FF for surfing and IE for OS maintenance only. So I used FF to install and had no problem until following solution given in PSI Forum as stated earlier RE Ignore Rules. I will try using IE to reinstall.

Mogs: Also, confirm that all configuarations are exactly as those shown in the FAQ's prior to install.
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal... FAQ's

Ginger: Emil: Do your settings in Internet Explorer match those described in this FAQ item exactly? Ginger: I did uncheck the server revocation and added the sites listed in the FAQ in IE8. BTW, I use FF for surfing and IE for OS maintenance only.

Sorry for the duplication. I hope the setting out of the sequence of posts and replies help. Thanks so much Mogs.

Ginger

--
FF 3.6.10, IE8
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 26th Sep, 2010 09:04
Last edited on 26th Sep, 2010 10:54
Thanks for the reiteration Ginger.......I just hope that the clean up/defrag and the making sure of configurations/settings, before install, using IE8 as default, works out successfully for you.
From my reading/observation tho', XP seems to be more often more settled with the 1.5.0.1 version of psi.
Revo is a brilliant app....I use the Junk file cleaner every day, and the Evidence Remover once a week too. I only recently became aware that deletions to the Recycle bin weren't an end of the matter !
Not all members on the forum are in agreement 'bout the use of Registry scanners.....but there is , it seems, almost universal acceptance of CCleaner, which I also use. Did you know that you can get it to do as many as 35 passes ( Gutmann); when cleaning(?); a little slower, but more thorough.
I've also got a cleaner as integral with my security provision....sometimes I alternate cleaners, as one will find items another won't.
As far as I'm aware, defraggers are possibly the least magnetic app as regards malware....mine is possibly one of the least known/used too., tho', in about the last six months of use has proven to be an invaluable instrument.
Well.....let us know how you get on...........regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
This user no longer exists RE: NIS 2010 Created Firewall Rules for Secunia v. 1.5.0.2
Member 28th Sep, 2010 09:25
Hi,

on 25th Sep, 2010 03:53, GingerW wrote:

Then I wonder why that advice was given to a similar user with a similar problem "Uninstalled Internet Explorer 7 when I have Internet Explorer 8 installed problem" I had with PSI running.

I do not believe it could have been a similar situtation. After all, you can't run the PSI at all, and to actually delete an Ignore Rule, one has to run the PSI.

I did uncheck the server revocation and added the sites listed in the FAQ in IE8. BTW, I use FF for surfing and IE for OS maintenance only.

After removing the Server Certificate Recovocation setting, are you still receiving the error about being unable to verify the Secunia Certificate? That should not be the case, as this option has specifically told IE to disregard this certificate if it cannot be verified.

The PSI uses IE to render it's user interface, as this is a build-in, unremoveable part of all Windows operating systems. To choice of which browser to use for actual browsing is, of course, entirely up to the user.

RUNDLL
Error loading syssetup

This error - a missing crucial DLL - could imply more general problems with your operating system. Have other applications malfunctioned on your system lately?

Secunia PSI:

Your UserID is linked either to your account (if you have one), or simply to your installation.
What happens if you connect to https://psi.secunia.com?

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+