Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Windows XP Pro SP3 not detected correctly by PSI 1.5.0.2

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
rc primak Windows XP Pro SP3 not detected correctly by PSI 1.5.0.2
Member 28th Sep, 2010 20:41
Ranking: 12
User Since: 6th Dec, 2008
System Score: 95%
Last edited on 28th Sep, 2010 20:53

I recently tried to install Secunia PSI 2.0 on my Windows XP Pro SP3 laptop, and it could not install its Driver. The program also could not launch its Interface. Connectivity with the Secunia Servers could not be established, and the Secunia Error Log said that the Secunia Program cold not access a COM (Device? Port?) So I uninstalled the PSI 2.0 Program and all its associated files with Revo Uninstaller.

Note: I run 32-bit Windows on this laptop, so we are talking about only 32-bit OS and program versions. I run Comodo Firewall and Avast Antivirus. I Disabled both security programs at the System Tray, but this did not help with Secunia PSI. I also made IE8 my Default Browser (I usually use Firefox 3.6.10) and set up the Internet Zone and Trusted Sites just as directed in several Threads in these Forums. All to no avail. The Command Line runs as recommended in these Forums also failed.

I am not going to uninstall Comodo or Avast to see if that is what blocks Secunia PSI's access to the COM (Ports?).

Prior to this (Revo Uninstaller) removal, PSI 1.5.0.2 had been installed and was working properly, and did detect Windows XP Pro SP3 as my Operating System. I removed the Revo System Restore Points as they accumulated (using CCleaner).

I downloaded PSI 1.5.0.2 and installed it. At first, Windows would not let the Driver install, claiming that it was either not signed, or not certified for compatibility with Windows XP. (This is a change in Windows XP behavior caused by SP3 and other more recent MS patches.) Eventually, I did manage through a repeat install to get the program to look like it had fully installed. But every time I run PSI 1.5.0.2 now, it reports "End of Life -- Windows Server 2000 SP3" as my operating system.

The Secunia Logs generated in Debugging (Command Line) Mode show very little information. And nothing to indicate any errors during PSI scanning or communication with the Servers.

What is going on here, and can it be resolved?

Is there any Secunia PSI 2.0 build which is known to be working with Windows XP Pro SP3 with all the August 2010 MS Updates installed (and all previous MS Updates)?

I would rather get PSI 2.0 working on this laptop than mess around with PSI 1.5.x. But any advice would be appreciated.

Other than the Windows version, I have not noticed any other incorrect program identifications when running PSI 1.5.0.2 in this condition.

No Path is given for the Windows version falsely detected.
Rescanning does not improve the situation.

When switching from the Advanced Mode to the Simple Interface, the Tray Icon pops up a message that Windows Server 2000 SP3 has been removed. When switching back to Advanced Mode (no rescan), the Tray Icon pops up a message that Windows 2000 SP3 was detected as Added. Very strange...

--
-- Bob --

Anthony Wells RE: Windows XP Pro SP3 not detected correctly by PSI 1.5.0.2
Expert Contributor 28th Sep, 2010 21:12
Score: 2372
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 28th Sep, 2010 21:18
Hello Bob ,

A websearch comes up with this , which seems to imply ActiveX's and , if you scroll down to the end (nearly) you have .dll hell which might make some sense :-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_Object_Mode...

Secunia are on CET so this may help pass the time until they are back in tomorrow .

Anthony

PS : there is a change to replace the command line workaround at the end of this thread which seems to work on 1.5.0.2 and 2 Beta - for smurphdude at least :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/534...

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
rc primak RE: Windows XP Pro SP3 not detected correctly by PSI 1.5.0.2
Member 28th Sep, 2010 21:36
Score: 12
User Since: 6th Dec 2008
Last edited on 28th Sep, 2010 21:50
Thanks for replying so soon. I tried with the most recent instructions the Command Line workarounds for PSI 2.0, but this did not solve the issue. Thanks for the Web References. I am just advanced enough to read some of the reference materials, so this may indeed get me started with fresh thinking.

By the way, System Information for Windows (SIW) and Belarc Adviser both report correctly my Windows XP PRo SP3 version. So there's nothing outside of PSI 1.5 causing this error, as far as I can tell.

I know the Secunia folks are on English Time. I will await their reply, when and if.

Update: While reading the Wikipedia article about the COM Interface, I noticed that some COM functions have been taken over by .NET Framework. I use Paint.NET, and so have actively updated and patched .NET Framework (currently versions 1 through 4, patched through August 2010). Perhaps something in .NET Framework has been changed for those of us using Windows XP SP3, and hence the Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta failures?

Something for the Secunia technical people to chew on...

(The section on Registration Free COM (RegFree COM) looks interesting in regards to this Secunia PSI 2.0 beta issue, but this is only a layman's opinion.)

--
-- Bob --
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 28th Sep, 2010 21:51
Last edited on 28th Sep, 2010 21:58

Hi again ,

When you say "command line workaround" , the new thing is to ignore that and instead to right-click the psi.exe file (located (normally) in C:\ProgramFiles\Secunia\PSI\.. select "Properties" , select "Compatability" , and tick the checkbox that says "Turn off Advanced text services for this program".

This is in the second link I posted and said to work by Secunia . Have you done this to try run 2 Beta ??

That's all I got ; tomorrow is just another day :))

Anthony

PS: don't recall anyone else actually reporting a COM/driver problem . Signing has been mentioned as has DEP ; I believe they have looked at some KB's . Who knows ?? Definitely not me . My XP SP3 Home is holding up for the moment - but hush , not a word (everything crossed :)))

PPS : if SIW and Belarc got your back you should be solid .

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 28th Sep, 2010 21:59
Last edited on 28th Sep, 2010 22:02
Regarding the Compatibility workaround for PSI 2.0 beta: Been there, done that, and it didn't work. Sorry.

I was editing my above post to include that I mentioned Avast and Comodo (Defense Plus) because these programs protect certain critical system and other files and folders from unauthorized alterations. This has often resulted in drivers not installing or updating on my laptop. Disabling the security programs from the Tray does not change this protecting behavior. MS Updates can work around this feature, but other installers often cannot. Just a thought...

The COM issue was reported in the PSI 2.0 Debug Log. So it is real, at least on my laptop with those security programs installed. Security never caused problems until recently, though.

--
-- Bob --
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 28th Sep, 2010 22:13
Last edited on 28th Sep, 2010 22:59
Ref 1.5.0.2 is misreporting your OS version , in the past Secunia have looked into this by requesting certain defining Registry items data .

As you say RegFree COM also took my eye , but being super layman , the brain has not distilled anything .

Emil (Petersen) will likely pick this up tomorrow for you . You could always email him a copy of the debug logs marked for his attention and referencing this thread at support@secunia.com

Take care

Anthony

PS(again) : signing and drivers would sound more like Commodo D+ ; is there anything in their Forum or did you have it on baby learning when SEcunia last loaded it's driver successfully ?? Is your Avast also on active behaviour guard ??

PSing :-

This is off the Comodo Forum and refers to the D+ sandbox which likely would stop a driver install if my experience with "sandboxie" is anything to go by :-

http://forums.comodo.com/index.php?action=search2

Can't point the link ; I typed "Secunia PSI" in the search box and used "match any word" for a load of commentary .

EDIT : this mentions CIS and Avast :-

http://forums.comodo.com/empty-t43193.0.html;msg31...

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+2
This user no longer exists RE: Windows XP Pro SP3 not detected correctly by PSI 1.5.0.2
Member 29th Sep, 2010 09:00
Hi,

To know which Operating System you are running, the PSI looks at certain registry keys, and applies a little magick.

To correct this misdetection, need the contents of some registry keys from your system. All the keys are located in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion".

The keys we need are ProductName, CSDVersion, CurrentBuildNumber, BuildLab, CurrentType & CurrentVersion.
If you can post these keys, or email us them at support@secunia.com (please, in the correct order :), we should be able to correct this issue quickly.

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 29th Sep, 2010 16:42

Hello Bob and Emil ,

The original problem of driver loading for the 2.0 Beta seems to have a parallel in this thread :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/569...

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 29th Sep, 2010 21:23
Last edited on 29th Sep, 2010 22:44
Anthony --

Irrelevant, as the PSI 2.0 Interface is unable to load. It is a blank white window, and Windows XP Pro SP3 32-bit freezes solid. Also, today's install of PSI2.0 shows under "Version" a new 1.9.0.4 version. But it installs from downloaded installer (IE8 download or Firefox 3.6.10 download) with Compatibility already set to Windows 2000 Mode, and (turn off) Advanced Text option checked. This is definitely not a 64-bit Windows 7 computer, so there was nothing relevant in that thread in these forums.

Thanks for trying, though.

Emil --

Today I tried to reinstall PSI Version 1.5.0.2, and now it too cannot access the Internet to contact the Secunia Servers. This means that I cannot further investigate either version of PSI, as neither will load its Interface. Comodo D+ was set to Disable, as was the Firewall, and I Exited Comodo from the Tray. Avast Shields were Disabled until Restart. IE8 was Default Browser, Secunia servers were both in Trusted Zone, and Trusted Zone security was lowered to Low. Also, Certificates or servers was disabled and IE8 and Windows were restarted. Still no communication. I will try a full reinstall from a good download when I get the chance.

I have the Registry Values requested. They are:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion]
"SubVersionNumber"=""
"CurrentBuild"="1.511.1 () (Obsolete data - do not use)"
"InstallDate"=dword:426939cc
"ProductName"="Microsoft Windows XP"
"RegDone"=""
"RegisteredOrganization"=""
"RegisteredOwner"="Admin01"
"SoftwareType"="SYSTEM"
"CurrentVersion"="5.1"
"CurrentBuildNumber"="2600"
"BuildLab"="2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.100427-1636"
"CurrentType"="Uniprocessor Free"
"CSDVersion"="Service Pack 3"
"SystemRoot"="C:\\WINDOWS"
"SourcePath"="D:\\i386"
"PathName"="C:\\WINDOWS"
"ProductId"="xxxxxxx-OEM-xxxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxx" (redacted)
"DigitalProductId"=(redacted)
"LicenseInfo"=(redacted)

I hope this is enough of the Key data, as the entire Key gets very lengthy.

"CurrentBuild"="1.511.1 () (Obsolete data - do not use)"
This Key stands out, as it is clearly marked as Obsolete Data. Could this be what's causing the detection error? All else appears to point to Windows XP Pro SP3.

I have redacted what I believe to be the license and OEM License Key data, for privacy and anti-piracy reasons. I edited this posting after realizing how long the Key data were running.

I will try to get Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2 back up and running today, but I do have time limitations. If I succeed in getting this version running, I will be able to make use of any advice about how to correct the incorrect detection of Windows XP Pro SP3 on my computer.

Update, later:

I got PSI 1.5.0.2 back up and running. The Compatibility Settings had persisted from the failed PSI 2.0 (Build 1.9.0.4) Installation. I fixed that, and for right now I would just like to fix Version 1.5.0.2 to correctly detect Windows XP Pro SP3. I would only edit my Registry Values if instructed to do so here.

Edited by rc primak.

--
-- Bob --
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 29th Sep, 2010 22:59

Hello Bob ,

Understand your comments , but OS aside , the reason I raised the other Community thread is that it and the Comodo Forum specific thread (link above) I posted both mention the PSI minifilter driver (psi_mf.sys) .

The D+ sandbox refuses to allow a programme to write to the HDD until it is recognised as "safe" by cloud response . As the Beta is new perhaps there is still insufficient data available to Comodo to classify the "new to it" driver(s) .

Just a thought .

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
This user no longer exists RE: Windows XP Pro SP3 not detected correctly by PSI 1.5.0.2
Member 30th Sep, 2010 09:09
Hi,

I have made some minor adjustments to our Operating System rules.
If you run a full scan, is your operating system now detected as Microsoft Windows XP?

If you have verified that all your settings in Internet Explorer match those described in this item of our FAQ, and not just some, you should be able to use any version of the PSI: http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Has following all the steps in the FAQ item resolved your problem?

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Oct, 2010 18:08
Last edited on 1st Oct, 2010 18:37
First, let me correct an earlier statement. I recognize that the Secunia folks are on Continental European Time (I just Googled CET).

Now, on to the issues at hand:

Anthony --

I understand about the Comodo Sandbox. When it tries to activate, an alert pops up, giving me a choice as to whether or not to let Comodo Sandbox isolate the program or process. I have been very careful to check the punch-dot to NOT run PSI or its components within the Comodo Sandbox, as this can as you point out cause many programs to be blocked. I do have the Comodo DNS option selected (which redirects Internet traffic through Comodo's own proprietary DNS servers). I could deselect this option to see if that helps with PSI 2.0 beta, but the Comodo DNS has never interfered with previous PSI versions in any way.

PSI 2.0 beta never loads its Interface, and no Error Messages ever appear. I get a blank white window, and then Windows freezes and requires a Windows restart to clear the situation. Hard drive activity quits, so nothing is still being processed at this point. The last entry in the PSI log file (when running from the Command Line) is that PSI 2.0 could not access a COM Interface. Then the Log ends. PSI 1.5.0.2 does not display this sort of behavior.

PSI_mf.sys could need to be set in Comodo D+ as a Windows System Process. The Secunia PSI 2.0 betas may not yet be in the Comodo database as Trusted Applications. Comodo may be waiting for a Release Candidate or higher before modifying their database rules. Good catch!

And yes, Avast 5 did try to block the Secnuia 2.0 beta Driver from installing. It popped up a dialog box saying that Avast heuristics thought the Driver might be a rootkit. I told Avast to Ignore this, and the installation seemed to have gone through just fine. But if other users with this configuration (XP SP3, Comodo, and Avast) find this pop-up happens to them, they should select Ignore in the Avast warning. This should prevent Avast from becoming a further issue.

Emil --

Sorry about the delay getting back to testing PSI 1.5.0.2. Just ran it. Your Rules tweak has restored the 1.5.0.2 version to full functionality. (It detected Windows XP Pro SP3 correctly this time. And I know I am about three weeks behind in patching .NET, but thanks folks for the heads-up.) Thank you very much for this correction. At least one version of PSI now works on my Windows XP Pro SP3 32-bit laptop. (My Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit laptop has no problems whatsoever with PSI 2.0 beta, so on that laptop, all is well. I have two laptops. It is only the older -- Windows XP PRo SP3 32-bit -- one which is having issues with PSI 2.0 beta.)

Can we leave this Thread open for the PSI 2.0 issues? I have made all the IE8 changes suggested in the FAQ Posting, but so far nothing seems to work for PSI 2.0 with my Windows XP Pro SP3 laptop. If there's anything else I can try, I am open to new possibilities. I would like to be able to upgrade.

I consider the PSI 1.5.0.2 issue which is the focus of this Thread to be resolved. If the PSI 2.0 beta issues are to be taken into a separate Thread, I would not object to locking this Thread.

My conclusion is that the incorrect OS recognition issue was at the server side of the PSI program, and that it was a minor glitch in the Secunia Rules. Not really a problem at all at my end, as far as I can tell at this time.

Thanks to all who have helped in this Thread.

--
-- Bob --
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Oct, 2010 22:54
Last edited on 1st Oct, 2010 22:56
New information:

Compodo Internet Security (which includes their stand-alone Firewall) has upgraded to Version 5.0. I just downloaded and clean-installed their newest version. Secunia is listed as a Trusted Vendor. But PSI Version 2.0 still comes up as a blank white window, no matter how I configure Comodo 5, IE8 and Avast 5 (even Exiting both Comodo and Avast). I have reverted to PSI version 1.5.0.2, and I intend to remain there unless news reaches me of any improvement in the conflict between PSI 2.0 and Windows XP SP3 and whatever else is involved in this issue.

I remain convinced that something is blocking PSI 2.0 from reaching the Internet, as Network Connectivity can never be verified, and the Progress Bar in the pop-up box for connecting to the Internet never shows any movement whatsoever, although that box does pop up. Upon closing PSI 2.0 from this state, all the PSI windows close, and then a second blank white window opens without any information box at all, then it disappears and the Tray Icon disappears as well. The data needed to fill the PSI 2.0 Interface simply never displays, no matter what the source of the data.

Any further advice would be appreciated, although I think I can live with Version 1.5.0.2 for as long as this version remains viable. Thanks again for all who are helping with this issue.

--
-- Bob --
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Bob Primak RE: Windows XP Pro SP3 not detected correctly by PSI 1.5.0.2
Member 2nd Oct, 2010 06:54
Score: 1
User Since: 22nd Aug 2010
System Score: 100%
Quick Note:

On my Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Toshiba Satellite laptop, all is well with the update to PSI2.0 beta, Build 1.9.0.4. There were no problems whatsoever with the update or the connections on this laptop.

By the way, I am the same user as rc primak. Just different computers.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Oct, 2010 12:04
Hi,

Glad we fixed the OS detection.

As for the Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta problem, what is the result of trying to access this link in Internet Explorer? https://psi.secunia.com

Could I ask you to provide us with a debug log? I understand that you have already generated such a report - Could you please send a fresh one to us at support@secunia.com, with a reference to this thread?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
rc_primak RE: Windows XP Pro SP3 not detected correctly by PSI 1.5.0.2
Member 5th Oct, 2010 10:02
Score: 4
User Since: 9th Sep 2010
Emil --

Due to the length and complexity of my testing, I have sent you an e-mail via Secunia Support (Attn: Emil R. Petersen) tonight.

The upshot of all of the logging is that I believe I have a security related conflict. PSI 2.0 beta shows definite signs of this. It is connecting to the Secunia Server(s) only to be kicked off by a local "user" (the security program). This smells like a firewall issue, although Avast also has active shields.

So, take a look at the six Secunia Debug Logs and let us all know if anything significant has shown up in there. Thank you in advance for your efforts.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 5th Oct, 2010 16:43

Hello Bob ,

In my experience and going by what the experts say , then two active guards (signature and behaviour based) may seem to co-exist and play happily on the surface but background clashes can be venomous . Sometimes this is only apparent when it is too late when malware raises it's malicious head .

Have you tried a complete uninstall of each one and seen if the PSI can run when that software is not on the machine ?? Or ; are there any vestiges of older security software trailing in the Registry - things like McAfee are notorious ??

I do not currently have access to Comodo nor Avast software to advise more specifically .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
rc_primak RE: Windows XP Pro SP3 not detected correctly by PSI 1.5.0.2
Member 5th Oct, 2010 18:32
Score: 4
User Since: 9th Sep 2010
I have sent at least one or two additional e-mails to Secunia Support regarding my PSI 2.0 beta (build 1.9.0.4) issue. It is coming down to a missing Windows Service, which is part of the Client for Microsoft Networks in Windows XP Pro (included long before SP3).

Here are some additional notes about my investigation into my laptop's configuration:

While investigating my PSI 2.0 Beta issue, Emil Petersen sent me an e-mail saying (among other things) that we suspect I have lost my WorkStation Service in Windows XP Pro SP3. I looked into some Internet threads about this condition, and they all said that this Service is part of the Client for Microsoft Networks in Windows XP. I cannot for the life of me get that Client installed on my laptop.

I went on line looking for similar complaints, and sure enough, there was a discussion thread about a similar issue:

http://thedailyreviewer.com/xphelp/view/workstatio...

It turns out that something or someone has changed my Registry and Windows services from WorkStation to Server, and this is being detected as Windows 2000 Server SP3 by many programs (including at one point PSI 1.5.0.2). Most programs don't care about this error (including PSI 1.5.0.2 ater the Secunia database on your servers was tweaked a bit by Emil Petersen) but other programs, including some security programs and PSI 2.0 beta (build 1.9.0.4), are throwing fits at this misconfiguration.

So how do I change my Services and my Registry back to WorkStation status? I hope this does not involve a Repair Reinstall, as this is a laptop, and it has no Windows XP SP3 Install Media whatsoever -- just a Hidden Recovery Partition and DVDs burned from that OEM setup five or six years ago. That would take me back to Windows XP PRo SP2, and the rebuilding process from there would be daunting.

Any ideas as to how to fix this misconfiguration so that PSI 2.0 beta would be happy? And what in the world could have caused this misconfiguration in the first place? A MS Update? An Optional Update? Powershell (which I downloaded from Microsoft recently)? Third-party software? SP3 original installation? Security programs?

None of the on line references relate to how to reinstall a missing Client for Microsoft Networks after something or someone has completely removed the package from Windows XP Pro SP3. Any help in this regard would be appreciated. No other software is seriously affected by this issue, including IE8 or PSI 1.5.0.2, as far as I can tell at this time.

@Anthony --

Many thanks for the suggestions about Security Programs, but the WorkStation Service (or Client for Microsoft Networks) is not being blocked -- it is actually missing (as in completely removed from my computer and replaced by some sort of Server Services). This is the issue which I believe must be resolved, and it has nothing to do with Security and Permissions. Something is completely missing. We were all off track on this point until now, I think.

To All --

One more thing. I have Intel ProSet Wireless controlling my Internet Connections. It uses its own drivers, services and protocols. Some programs have had problems with this in the past, but the driver was updated several times and works for everything except PSI 2.0 beta. PSI 1.5.0.2 is not experiencing these issues.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 5th Oct, 2010 19:29

Hi Bob ,

As Hunter S.Thompson put it "when the going gets weird , the weird get going" and added "it never got weird enough for me !!" You and Emil must be taking lessons .

For some weird (mainly IE) reason , a couple of months ago , I decided to reformat my Acer PC using the hidden OEM files and the disc I burned on set up (I'm on XP Home Edition not Pro). The Acer set up software ran in 15 minutes or less and was pristine and I got some pretty weird stuff back including the dreaded Norton 2005 Antivirus software (went quietly with the (now available) custom uninstaller :)) Reapplying all the M$ patches including SP3 was about 2 hours or maybe three . I do believe there is a website that gives you a complete bundle to save time - which on reflection may has served better

Gave me a chance to rethink and reset my skinny running and am quite satisfied - surprising what you don't miss when you don't got it .

Let us know your progress even if I only understand a smattering , it makes fascinating reading .

Bonne chance

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 5th Oct, 2010 22:09
To All --

I finally found the culprit and solved the issue with my PSI 2 beta not loading. It could not find the WorkStation Service. There was a Registry error. WorkStation had been changed to Server, as in lanmanServer instead of lanmanWorkStation. Within this Registry entry, the Display Name was also Server, not WorkStation.

I corrected these errors with RegEdit (being very careful to back up the existing Keys to a .REG File which I placed on my Windows Desktop) and checked the ImagePath sub-key with RegEdit. All looked well.

But the Service upon Rebooting, appeared but WOULD NOT START! I finally found a Web reference to another Forum and they said I should in this situation completely uninstall all the clients and protocols for my Intel ProSet Wireless LAN setup in the Network Connections area of the Windows XP Control Panel. (dig deep, deeper,deeper -- yes!) After reinstalling the Adapter (Device Manager) and the Clients (Properties), I rebooted and got my Firewall retrained.

And like Magick, there she was -- pretty as you please and already scanning -- Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta!!

So I conclude there had been a serious disruption of my networking hardware configurations and drivers. And I know who and when and how this occurred.

I do not recall the exact Microsoft Update, but it was in April or May (2010), and many XP SP3 users could not get the damned thing to install. (I think this was KB 979683, but don't quote me on that number.) This update was reoffered endlessly, and Microsoft's technicians said it had to do with Windows XP kernel hardening and that my BIOS or motherboard were suffering from outdated drivers or some such rubbish. This was simply a botched patch, and it wrecked many system components for many of us poor long-suffering XP diehards. Among the disruptions was a loss of control over Network Connections through Windows. And this is exactly where the present problem originated. It had been festering this long, just waiting to rear its ugly little MS Updates head.

http://www.AskWoody.com had a huge write-up about this update, and I commented several times and at length about my misfortunes at the time and thereafter.

So after testing and retesting and rebooting several times, I can say with good confidence that we have definitely got this little monster licked on my laptop. Feel free to request a more precise description of my misconfiguration, and I can dig up the exact e-mails and references relating to my Microsoft Support exchanges on this subject.

Thanks to all who have helped. You have done a heroic job, but in the end it was only through trial and error, plus my own recollections of my patching history, that we have gotten this misconfiguration resolved. I am grateful for the time and efforts of each and every one of you in this matter.

Now maybe I can get back to keeping my computers up to date and secure, instead of mopping up Microsoft's messes. At least until next week (Patch Tuesday -- YIKES!).

--
-- Bob --
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Oct, 2010 09:19
Hi,

Fantastic! Glad to hear everything is working for you.

Furthermore, the debug logs and experience you have provided us with will come in handy if we run into similar issues.

If you have further questions or suggestions, please do not hesitate to create a new thread (As I will be closing this one).

See you next tuesday. ;)
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Factsheets
Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability