xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI 2.0 Beta

This thread has been marked as locked.
E.Jeppesen Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Secunia Official 29th Sep, 2010 15:10
Ranking: 220
User Since: 24th Nov, 2008
System Score: N/A
We have released Secunia PSI 2.0 beta version 1.9.0.4.

We greatly appreciate all the feedback we have already received from the previous releases of the beta and have implemented many of the suggestions in this version, as well as bug fixes etc.

For more detailed information about the changes we have made to this release, please see the change log:
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Feel free to download the new beta version of the Secunia PSI here:
http://secunia.com/PSI2SetupBeta.exe

Make sure to let us know about any issues, bugs, or potential improvements you come across. This is your chance to contribute to the development of the final version of the Secunia PSI 2.0.

Leendert Kip Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 29th Sep, 2010 16:52
Score: 65
User Since: 22nd Jan 2009
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 29th Sep, 2010 16:54
I just installed the new version but encountered several problems. First I tried to install following the normal procedure where the installer uninstalls the old version. Result was that the new version was installed and at startup gave the error in a smaller popup in the middle of the screen.

Error: TypeError
Function: util.switchPage
File: undefined
Description: globals.text.scan_msup.txt is empty or no object

I then uninstalled using Revo uninstaller succesfully, rebooted and installed using a fresh file from the link in your announcement. Result the same, PSI dosn't work properly, get the same error. Any clues about the cause of this?

--
PC: JJ Computer Services
Intel Core I3 2100 3.1Ghz
DDR3 Kingston ValueRam 4GB 1333
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits SP1
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 9
Mozilla Firefox 31NL

Laptop: MSI GT780DX
Intel Core I5-2450
DDR3 RAM 6GB
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 31NL
Was this reply relevant?
+0
J.Balle RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Secunia Official 29th Sep, 2010 16:56
Score: 10
User Since: 25th Nov 2008
on 29th Sep, 2010 16:52, Leendert Kip wrote:

Description: globals.text.scan_msup.txt is empty or no object

Thanks for the feedback. Issue should be resolved now if you exit and restart the Secunia PSI.

Thanks
Member 29th Sep, 2010 17:18
Last edited on 29th Sep, 2010 17:24
on 29th Sep, 2010 16:56, J.Balle wrote:
Issue should be resolved now if you exit and restart the Secunia PSI.Thanks

Thank you very much, that was really fast. However, I just see that there is something wrong with my community profile. On the dashboard I see: unregistered user and I miss the results over the last 10 weeks. Only 'now' shows a green bar. Strange thing is that I must login before replying to your post but that my previous post shows the data from my original profile fron Jan. 2009. How is that possible?

--
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 9
Mozilla Firefox 31NL

Intel Core I5-2450
DDR3 RAM 6GB
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 31NL
Was this reply relevant?
+0
J.Balle RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Secunia Official 29th Sep, 2010 17:29
User Since: 25th Nov 2008
on 29th Sep, 2010 17:18, Leendert Kip wrote:
Thank you very much, that was really fast. However, I just see that there is something wrong with my community profile. On the dashboard I see: unregistered user and I miss the results over the last 10 weeks. Only 'now' shows a green bar. Strange thing is that I must login before replying to your post but that my previous post shows the data from my original profile fron Jan. 2009. How is that possible?

This may be the result of running the revo uninstaller, it is possible that this program may have removed your Secunia PSI ID from your registry, which in turn have prompted the PSI to create a new ID for you when you installed the PSI afterwards, thus resulting in your history and link to your Secunia Profile being reset.
Anthony Wells RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Expert Contributor 29th Sep, 2010 17:55
Score: 2414
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 29th Sep, 2010 20:14
WOW , now we're cooking .

If everything works correctly the I'll become redundant on the Forum :))) which will probably please everyone:)))

Some points :-

1)Installed using Chrome browser . Correct uninstll and new install - all the right bits of info/checks and tables for those downloding , provided one reads everything first and does not just click thr'u . Everything running smooth - like the start up status window instead of the "barber pole" .

2)most of the complaints/suggestions have been expertly dealt with (at first glance) by the developers . Thank you .

3)World map in the UI and at the website not showing my PSI location and locked up on the PSI and the website in "world view" ; pas chez moi .

4)Have selected "auto-updates" and "prompt" in the settings . There is no apparent link to show which programmes can use the auto update ; plus , as I previously had individually deselected auto-updates in individual programmes the auto-update box is unticked in these programmes .

So , please , how do I see a list of "auto-updateable" programmes and is the unticked box in the individual programme correct for my settings :ie: prompt before running ??

Nice job , keeps Secunia and the PSI on the cutting edge !!

Anthony

PS : the new green (100%) icon in the tray is almost invisible against the Windows XP blue background - old eyes and knowing it's meant to be there are of limited help - there is no colour profile in hue or density .

PPS : when I change the column preferences in the results display from what seems to be the default display by removing tick against "threat rating" and selecting/ticking the box for "latest patched version" - all other boxes ticked , my selection does not survive reload of interface , etc. but goes back to supposed default .

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 29th Sep, 2010 20:24
Last edited on 29th Sep, 2010 20:36
on 29th Sep, 2010 17:29, J.Balle wrote:
This may be the result of running the revo uninstaller

To: J. Balle.
You are right that the Revo uninstaller cleans the register entries belonging to the PSI installation. So I understand that's the cause I have to login for every post/reply in the forum. I tried to recover my profile but that fails because of a problem with the format of my name. My username was Leender Kip and when I fill in that in the name field in the recovery procedure a thin red line appears around the name field. Then I tried a new profile using Leendert Kip. This was rejected with some red text specifying the right format. So I assume a blanc between Leendert and Kip is not allowed. However, I entered my profile in 2009 as mentioned. Was there any change of format rules between 2009 and now? Is it possible for you to change my name in your profile database as LeendertKip (or so) sothat I can recover? Please let me know.

--
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 9
Mozilla Firefox 31NL

Intel Core I5-2450
DDR3 RAM 6GB
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 31NL
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 29th Sep, 2010 20:39
Last edited on 29th Sep, 2010 20:41
Hi LK ,

While you're waiting , my correct user name has a nice thin red line around it and has had for some time , if memory serves . I had a second user name at one time (without the blank between the two words) but the same password ; it then had it's own history referring to user since , etc . It's probably still on the server .

If you want your old history with a new name , I guess you'll need some of Emil's magick :)

Is everything else working , the world map/location display on the dashboard is locked up for me ; don't know if that would influence your profile .

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+2
runrig RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 29th Sep, 2010 20:58
Score: 3
User Since: 29th Aug 2010
no real change for me, sorry ... still cannot use any links from within PSI

some cosmetic changes are still not showing, as in no graphs

0% average user with, compaired to rest of world, not sure if that's intentional

if I minimize the program, then restore I am met with a black screen until I click anywhere on the interface, not always but often

CCleaner 2 has an update, but not showing in PSI ... not sure if that's because I use CC-Light (no bundled toolbar), however, there is no diff in version # than that of the version with the bundled TB ... not overly worried

err, that's about my lot ;-)

regards
runrig

--
heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 29th Sep, 2010 21:00
Last edited on 29th Sep, 2010 21:04
on 29th Sep, 2010 20:39, Anthony Wells wrote:
If you want your old history with a new name , I guess you'll need some of Emil's magick :)

I'll wait and see wat happens when the magicians are back tomorrow!

Is everything else working , the world map/location display on the dashboard is locked up for me ; don't know if that would influence your profile

Ehh? I dont see a map/location on the dashboard. Where should it be placed?

--
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 9
Mozilla Firefox 31NL

Intel Core I5-2450
DDR3 RAM 6GB
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 31NL
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Expert Contributor 29th Sep, 2010 21:07

It's the top right module which used to display your score compared to other users in your location . It's now titled "compare to the rest of the world" . If you click the link it takes you to the world map on the website , but that display is currently locked up to me with no data displayed .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Expert Contributor 29th Sep, 2010 21:27

@runrig ,

Is the CC update a bug fix or eye candy change ?? The PSI only checks for security updates . On my PC my latest secure version displayed is 2.35.0.1223 .

There are no (I cannot find , at least) Security Advisories for CCleaner so no known "vulnerabilities" for it .

FileHippo will detect the very latest version or use the update checker in the programme .

I would guess that no graphs is still an IE9 bug ; not sure Secunia can fix it .

Not sure why you cannot get the links to work , your thread on the subject has given you all the help seemingly available , if you've done it all as suggested , then perhaps it's an idiosyncrasy of your system .

I have the same quandary on the world map .

Hope this helps whilst waiting for someone with real ability to help you :))

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+2
gjjean RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Contributor 29th Sep, 2010 21:33
Score: 192
User Since: 9th Apr 2010
Hi All

Ive downloaded the new psi 2 beta but there is no mention in the dashboard of my location like before (see the screenshot in red).

http://i56.tinypic.com/2wegftd.jpg

Good work & good luck

--
HP pavilion DV6
Win 7 64bit - SP1
IE10 + MSSE4.3.215
Was this reply relevant?
+0
runrig RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 29th Sep, 2010 21:51
User Since: 29th Aug 2010
Hello Anthony

on 29th Sep, 2010 21:27, Anthony Wells wrote:
@runrig ,

Is the CC update a bug fix or eye candy change ?? The PSI only checks for security updates . On my PC my latest secure version displayed is 2.35.0.1223
yes same as me, but there is a 2.36.0.1223, not sure if it constitutes a "fix" or not

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/changel...

(unknown source)
I would guess that no graphs is still an IE9 bug ; not sure Secunia can fix it..
yep, I'm a glutton for punishment ... ;)

(unknown source)
Not sure why you cannot get the links to work , your thread on the subject has given you all the help seemingly available , if you've done it all as suggested , then perhaps it's an idiosyncrasy of your system.
It will correct itself once/when I re-install Chrome ... was mearly informing of the fact. IE9 has someway still to go.

regards
runrig

--
heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Expert Contributor 29th Sep, 2010 22:05

@runrig ,

There are no vulnerabilities in CCleaner so the PSI will not (in it's current guise) advise any updates until CC is compromised .

2.36 looks to have lots of added value . Glad you mentioned it , I'll pick it up now while you have posted the link ; thanks . I usually try to run the latest version and rely on the FileHippo updater to inform me .

I use Firefox as default for viewing in the PSI and it always offers the IE links when needed for a solution . The Chrome Dev channel versions 7.X are certainly giving Ff a run for it's money . I'm spared IE9 as I have XP , just lucky I guess :)))

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+2
jleezer RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 29th Sep, 2010 22:08
Score: 9
User Since: 7th Nov 2009
From the Changelog:
"Language support in Auto-Update: You are now able to configure the language of programs, such as Mozilla Firefox that ships in multiple languages, enabling the Secunia PSI to download and install the selected localised version"

I cannot find how I can configure that feature.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 29th Sep, 2010 22:59
on 29th Sep, 2010 21:07, Anthony Wells wrote:
If you click the link it takes you to the world map on the website but that display is currently locked up to me with no data displayed

OK, when I click on text in blue 'rest of the world' I get the world map. Is that what you mean?

--
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 9
Mozilla Firefox 31NL

Intel Core I5-2450
DDR3 RAM 6GB
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 31NL
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 29th Sep, 2010 23:07

Yes , LK . Previous versions compared you to your country/department fellow users ; you could also get to the world map for other statistics .

At present it seems like all the world users are the same as you and me and everyone else . Not even in our dreams is everyone 100% nor any other value you choose .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
irishfeat RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 30th Sep, 2010 02:19
Score: -8
User Since: 6th Oct 2009
I have version PSI v1.9.0.2 which I don't even see on the release page. I don't really have any problems, except, it's telling me to install Adobe flash for IE. I use firefox mostly. Is there a setting that I don't have to install it? I just unistalled it (adobe flash) and reinstalled the update the other day, but somehow missed the IE install. Basically, can I run PSI on firefox? Did I do something to my settings?
Also, do you recommend installing PSI 2.0
Is there a way to find out about the new releases besides reading about it in the forum?
Thanks
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 30th Sep, 2010 06:42
Last edited on 30th Sep, 2010 06:43
At bootup this morning a new error appeared. Yesterdays scan data showed n/a, then started scan which ran successfully. Result 0 files and error in a small popup in the middle of the screen:

Description: length is empty or no object.

Any clue about this?

--
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 9
Mozilla Firefox 31NL

Intel Core I5-2450
DDR3 RAM 6GB
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 31NL
Was this reply relevant?
+0
smurphdude RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Contributor 30th Sep, 2010 07:57
Score: 107
User Since: 13th Aug 2010
Last edited on 30th Sep, 2010 08:00
Nice one Secunia.

Sorry to have to report the bug affecting some XP users since 1.5.0.2 that causes a crash at start up is still present. Following much tinkering (and occasional swearing) the following solutions should sort it and get the beta running.

1) Right click on the Secunia Program Shortcut in the start menu, select properties, click on the compatibility tab, and tick the check box that says "Turn of advanced text services for this program", click apply and then OK to close down the properties box.

This solution did work for me, but then I messed around with some Language input settings via control panel and it no longer works.....sorry but I'm not sure what I changed. However the next 2 solutions do still work on my machine.

2) In classic view, go to control panel, click on regional and language settings, go to the languages tab, click the details button, then go the advanced tab before ticking the check box that says "Turn off advanced text services", click apply and OK.

OR

3) In classic view, go to control panel, click on regional and language settings, go to the languages tab, click the details button. If under installed settings you have any entries for speech recognition, handwriting recognition etc, then highlight and click the remove button, until all that's left are the keyboard entries for your installed languages. On my machine with just English (UK) and English (US) keyboards active, the beta and 1.5.0.2 load fine.

Re the new beta, big thumbs up from me, particularly on the installation option to turn off auto-upgrades as the feature doesn't interest me, the return of Secure Browsing and the shiny new manual. I would still like to see an option for advanced users so that unpatched vulnerabilities are reported on the results screen rather than threat level defaulting to "-" if there is no patch available. Perhaps a check box in the configuration screen "Report vulnerable programs for which no vendor solution exists (Advanced users only)".

And finally I spotted a typo on the dashboard - It says "Developement in your Secunia System Score for the past weeks...."

Was this reply relevant?
+0
wally's dad RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 30th Sep, 2010 08:01
Score: 0
User Since: 22nd Jun 2010
I had no problems whatsoever with your first version Beta which I ran for a couple of weeks on both Windows 7 and WindowsXP SP3 running on top of 7 in Windows Virtual PC XPMode before I was notified today of an upgrade. The first 2 runs of today's new (2nd) Beta after re-installation on Win7 returned 0% System Score and no programs were either detected or listed in the Scan Results window. When I clicked the Dashboard hyperlink, the following error appeared:

Function: utl.switchPage
Line: undefined
Description: 'length' is null or not an object

When I closed down Secunia and restarted, first it got stuck trying to Verifying Internet Connection, so I shut it down (I have a 3MB broadband connection). When I restarted the second time, it seems to run fine and displays results of 100%. It now takes 40 seconds to Verify Internet Connection and then 5 seconds to load the interface. Scan takes 1 minute to recognize 37 patched programs on 2 separate physical hard drives, 500GB (7200) each.
4GB RAM
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ 2.98GHz
Windows 7 Pro 32 bit

Installed and ran PERFECTLY on XPMode OS.

Hope this info about the installer on Win7 helps! No need to reply, since I do not NOW have any issues.

p.s. LOVE the new graph reminding how many security patches applied in past several months. Keep up the good work!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
jleezer RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 30th Sep, 2010 08:52
Score: 9
User Since: 7th Nov 2009
on 29th Sep, 2010 22:08, jleezer wrote:
From the Changelog:
"Language support in Auto-Update: You are now able to configure the language of programs, such as Mozilla Firefox that ships in multiple languages, enabling the Secunia PSI to download and install the selected localised version"

There has been a change this morning:
For Mozilla Firefox and Mozilla Thunderbird you can set the "Preferred Language" via the Autoupdate-setting. At this moment only the <Default> gets displayed.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 30th Sep, 2010 11:29
Hello Everybody,

on 29th Sep, 2010 17:55, Anthony Wells wrote:

3)World map in the UI and at the website not showing my PSI location and locked up on the PSI and the website in "world view" ; pas chez moi .

Thank you for reporting this issue. I have confirmed the behaviour, and it is not intended. I will ensure that your feedback reaches our developers.

4)Have selected "auto-updates" and "prompt" in the settings . There is no apparent link to show which programmes can use the auto update ; plus , as I previously had individually deselected auto-updates in individual programmes the auto-update box is unticked in these programmes .

So , please , how do I see a list of "auto-updateable" programmes and is the unticked box in the individual programme correct for my settings :ie: prompt before running ??

You can still limit the Results to only show Auto-Updateable programs from the Scan Results tab. To do this, you can click the Settings icon (The little gray bolt), located on the same "bar" as the "Scan Results" heading.
From here, you can decide which results to show on the Scan Results tab.

PS : the new green (100%) icon in the tray is almost invisible against the Windows XP blue background - old eyes and knowing it's meant to be there are of limited help - there is no colour profile in hue or density .

I, too, noted this, and a suggestion for change has already been filed. I will ensure that your comments reach the ticket for this issue.

PPS : when I change the column preferences in the results display from what seems to be the default display by removing tick against "threat rating" and selecting/ticking the box for "latest patched version" - all other boxes ticked , my selection does not survive reload of interface , etc. but goes back to supposed default .

This is intentional behaviour. The changes that one can make on this tab are not intended to "stick" - it is simply intended as an easy way to organize the results temporarily, not as permanent adjustments to the User Interface.

on 29th Sep, 2010 20:24, Leendert Kip wrote:

I tried to recover my profile but that fails because of a problem with the format of my name. My username was Leender Kip and when I fill in that in the name field in the recovery procedure a thin red line appears around the name field. Then I tried a new profile using Leendert Kip. This was rejected with some red text specifying the right format. So I assume a blanc between Leendert and Kip is not allowed. However, I entered my profile in 2009 as mentioned. Was there any change of format rules between 2009 and now? Is it possible for you to change my name in your profile database as LeendertKip (or so) sothat I can recover? Please let me know.

We have noted a current issue with the profile recovery feature. If you can send us an email at support@secunia.com, we will reply back when this feature is operational again. Please include details about your problem, as this can help us get closer to the cause of the issue.
Thank you for your feedback.

on 29th Sep, 2010 20:58, runrig wrote:

some cosmetic changes are still not showing, as in no graphs

Are you using the Internet Explorer 9 Beta? If so, please be aware that there is currently an issue with the Beta preventing the graphics in the PSI from being shown. This is, currently, out of our hands. The only solution is to down-grade to a supported version of Internet Explorer.

0% average user with, compaired to rest of world, not sure if that's intentional

There appears to be an issue with this. I will look into it, and report to our developers.
Thank you for reporting.

if I minimize the program, then restore I am met with a black screen until I click anywhere on the interface, not always but often

I have been unable to reproduce this issue. Are you using the Internet Explorer 9 Beta?

CCleaner 2 has an update, but not showing in PSI ... not sure if that's because I use CC-Light (no bundled toolbar), however, there is no diff in version # than that of the version with the bundled TB ... not overly worried
.../quote]

Since the PSI is not a general update checker, but a vulnerability checker, it will not notify you about updates unless these updates solve Security Issues. As you can see on this page (http://secunia.com/advisories/product/15545/), there are currently no advisories for ccleaner.

Thank you for all your feedback.

[quote=p26772]
Ive downloaded the new psi 2 beta but there is no mention in the dashboard of my location like before (see the screenshot in red).

Thank you for reporting this issue. As mentioned above, I have confirmed this issue, and a bug will be filed. I will also ensure that your feedback reaches our developers.

on 29th Sep, 2010 22:08, jleezer wrote:
From the Changelog:

This feature is only available for some programs - Namely, the programs for which the vendor has released localized versions.

One example is Mozilla Firefox (and most Mozilla Products), another is OpenOffice.org.
If you double-click one of these applications, or another that supports localization, there will be a drop-down menu called "Preferred Language". From here, you will be able to configure which language is used by the PSI when automatically updating your programs.

on 30th Sep, 2010 02:19, irishfeat wrote:
I have version PSI v1.9.0.2 which I don't even see on the release page. I don't really have any problems, except, it's telling me to install Adobe flash for IE. I use firefox mostly. Is there a setting that I don't have to install it? I just unistalled it (adobe flash) and reinstalled the update the other day, but somehow missed the IE install. Basically, can I run PSI on firefox? Did I do something to my settings?
Also, do you recommend installing PSI 2.0
Is there a way to find out about the new releases besides reading about it in the forum?
Thanks

The 1.9.0.2 release, as listed on the changelog, was a Techology Preview version. I suggest that you update to the Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - This is the version that will eventually be released, so issues that appear in this version will be solved - Unlike the Technology Preview, which is no longer supported.
If you want the stable version, you should download and install the Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2 - which is the version still found on the official product page (Which you can get to by following the link in my signature).

You can "Ignore" the program, if you so wish. To do so, you can click "+" to expand the program's entry (On the Results tab in the 2.0 Beta, or one of the Patched, Insecure and End-Of-Life tabs in prior versions), and clicking the "Ignore Program". However, this does not elimininate the threat posed by leftover installation.

The Secunia PSI needs Internet Explorer to run, and uses this component, because it is a build-in part of the Microsoft Windows Operating System. However, in the 2.0 Beta versions, the PSI no longer relies on Flash in any form.

PS: The Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta can automatically update both versions of Flash, with no user interaction required.

Hope this helps.

on 30th Sep, 2010 06:42, Leendert Kip wrote:
At bootup this morning a new error appeared. Yesterdays scan data showed n/a, then started scan which ran successfully. Result 0 files and error in a small popup in the middle of the screen:

Description: length is empty or no object.

Any clue about this?

Please try restarting the PSI. Is the issue still reproduceable?

on 30th Sep, 2010 07:57, smurphdude wrote:
Nice one Secunia.

Re the new beta, big thumbs up from me, particularly on the installation option to turn off auto-upgrades as the feature doesn't interest me, the return of Secure Browsing and the shiny new manual. I would still like to see an option for advanced users so that unpatched vulnerabilities are reported on the results screen rather than threat level defaulting to "-" if there is no patch available. Perhaps a check box in the configuration screen "Report vulnerable programs for which no vendor solution exists (Advanced users only)".

And finally I spotted a typo on the dashboard - It says "Developement in your Secunia System Score for the past weeks...."

I will ensure that your suggestions regarding a "Unpatched Vulnerabilities" feature reach our developers.

Also, thank you for pointing out the typo. I will ensure that it gets corrected.

If anyone has further questions or comments, please do not hesitate to post! Furthermore, if anyone feel I have left a question or point untouched, let me know and I will elaborate.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 30th Sep, 2010 12:34
Last edited on 30th Sep, 2010 12:35
Hi Emil, I can confirm that the TypeErros reported with my post of today 6.42hrs disappeared after a reboot. Thanks for the info.

--
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 9
Mozilla Firefox 31NL

Intel Core I5-2450
DDR3 RAM 6GB
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 31NL
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 30th Sep, 2010 12:45

Hello Emil ,

Bit short on time today ; so quckly :-

With lightning speed I found the minute grey bolt and the auto update display selection option is bugged :-

if I click just the display auto updates box , i get a blank screen
if I click both the auto update and patched (I have no insecure/EOL) boxes I get some 30 programmes displayed -most are M$ apps.
My "known A-U" 4 apps. are Flash AcyiveX/NPAPI , Firefox and Java and display the auto-update box in the expansion window none of the others have a box . Open Office is not displayed .

You did not address my question that none of the 4 boxes are ticked for my settings of auto update with prompt - do I need to tick the boxes myself or what ??

Ref my personal results page settings , I very much prefer my own layout to your default and to find that it changes back every time to be extremely annoying ; this is also partly an age/vision thing - I am not a teenage webmaster .

Will check back later .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Pats33 RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 30th Sep, 2010 15:12
User Since: 11th Apr 2009
Downloaded and ran newest version after notice from Secunia - no problems with uninstall of preveious Beta version or installing latest. Love the new look everything fits on the screen and I can read the entire page. Also like the new "Green" symbol in my tool bar, it's a clear sign that Secunia is running and all is well. One problem - I have had with all versions of Secunia (Since the first install a few years ago) I cannot connect when I click on - participate in the survey or go to Secunia from the Dashboard, I get the error " Error occured while trying to open the specified URL"
The scan ran perfectly I have a 100% score(as usual). I really like the fact you have fixed the page size problem.
HP Pavilion a6400f
Intel Pentium Dual Core
Vista Home Premium Service Pak 2
32 bit
IE 8
3.GB RAM

--
Pats3TX
Was this reply relevant?
+0
metaed RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 30th Sep, 2010 16:38
Score: 1
User Since: 11th Feb 2009
I was notified a few minutes ago to download a new PSI2SetupBeta.exe. When the download completed, I ran the executable. I got as far as clicking to confirm that the the running PSI could be stopped by the update. After that, the window of the running PSI came to the front but did not stop. Soon I began to notice a marked slowdown of the system, and used Process Explorer to identify the cause. The virtual memory of PSI2SetupBeta.exe was growing rapidly, consuming all the available RAM and causing a high rate of page faults to occur. At the size of 1,900 MB I killed the process. At this point I await further instructions before I proceed.

Cheers,

Edward

--
Sometimes they fool you by walking upright.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ram5thwheel RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 2nd Oct, 2010 15:13
User Since: 24th Dec 2007
Uninstall/Reinstall of the newest beta version over the previous beta version went great. Completed on a dual boot system (XPSP3 and Win7) and all appears to be working OK.

Really like icon color change to represent status as well as browser security inclusion.

Keep up the good work.

--
Thank You

Peter (Mike) Meyers

System Info:
Windows 7 SP1 (32 bit) Intel Core 2 CPU / Dell XPS 410
6400 @ 2.13 Ghz
4.00 GB RAM (3.00 GB usable)
Was this reply relevant?
+0

Dwarden

RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
[+]
This reply has been minimised due to a negative Relevancy Score.
Dwarden RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 2nd Oct, 2010 16:22
User Since: 23rd Dec 2007
i like what i read in changelog ...

will see if i run into issues ...

first thing i noticed is significantly increased scanning time again
(even if i have selected only 2 drives and have ignore rules on my drives and folders including the 2 or outside)

my suggestions to this issue
+ make sure we can enforce 100% that this drive and this folder can't be scanned (e.g. i see no point for PSI wasting time on certain cache folder with 100k subfolders and millions files)

+ show visual feedback what directory / files are scanned so one don't need to spy on the I/O to figure what is secunia app doing (make it e.g. advanced option)
Was this reply relevant?
+4
Nergali RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 2nd Oct, 2010 19:19
Score: 19
User Since: 23rd Aug 2010
Last edited on 2nd Oct, 2010 19:20
Looks good, I seem to be missing a few icons ( http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/3355/iconmissin... ) but that may be my PC not PSI
Thank you so much for listening to us and adding secure browsing option and also openfolder, ignore application without having to drill through levels

Also Splash screen was a nice touch

I think this is either a RC or at least very nearly so.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
jerezval RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 3rd Oct, 2010 13:50
User Since: 19th Feb 2010
Ruego me informen si esta versin puede pasarse a espaol.Gracias.Emilio Jerez
Was this reply relevant?
+0
zendo RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 3rd Oct, 2010 14:41
User Since: 19th Sep 2010
on 30th Sep, 2010 12:45, Anthony Wells wrote:

With lightning speed I found the minute grey bolt and the auto update display selection option is bugged :-

if I click both the auto update and patched (I have no insecure/EOL) boxes I get some 30 programmes displayed -most are M$ apps.
My "known A-U" 4 apps. are Flash AcyiveX/NPAPI , Firefox and Java and display the auto-update box in the expansion window none of the others have a box . Open Office is not displayed .

I have the same problem.
There are two sets of check boxes:
- show progs which are insec/eol/patched
- show only progs which are auto-upd
Should i read this as AND semantics?
Iow if patched is selected and AU is selected it is supposed to show patched auto-updatable programs?
In my case it shows also the non-AU programs.
What is semantics of these check boxes?

It may be nice to have an extra little button above the leftmost column to quickly expand / collapse everything in the list of programs.

Thanks
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 3rd Oct, 2010 19:18

Hello zendo ,

The key word is "only" ; judging from semantic criticism of the wording/lay out in the previous Beta , then the first three links will give a cumulative display of programmes according to your chosen whim . The "auto-updatable" (sic) likely should override the first three choices and show only that type of programme .

Hope that is clear enough ; when Secunia iron out the apparent (to me , that is) bug , then one will be better able to determine the instructions :))

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 4th Oct, 2010 11:24
Hello Everybody,

I will file a suggestion for improvement in regards to the visibility of this "bolt", and ensure that your feedback reaches the suggestion in question.

This is the expected behaviour. We changed the limiting of results to be more logical, as the previous wording was confusing.

All Microsoft applications are included by default in the Auto-Updates section, and, as you have correctly noted, have no option to disable auto-updates individually (since all Microsoft Applications are handled through Microsoft Update).

OpenOffice, unfortunately, is currently not supported for Auto-Updates.

You did not address my question that none of the 4 boxes are ticked for my settings of auto update with prompt - do I need to tick the boxes myself or what ??

My apologies - It seems I overlooked this question.
Currently, there is a bug in the PSI 2.0 Beta (latest build) where the Checkboxes for an individual program will un-check themself. We are looking into correcting this.

However, it is necessary to manually uncheck the "boxes" for each program you do not wish to Auto-Upgrade if you have this feature enabled globally.

Ref my personal results page settings , I very much prefer my own layout to your default and to find that it changes back every time to be extremely annoying ; this is also partly an age/vision thing - I am not a teenage webmaster .

I will ensure that your suggestion reaches our developers.

on 30th Sep, 2010 15:12, Pats33 wrote:

One problem - I have had with all versions of Secunia (Since the first install a few years ago) I cannot connect when I click on - participate in the survey or go to Secunia from the Dashboard, I get the error " Error occured while trying to open the specified URL"

Please try following the guide in this thread: http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/471...

Has this resolved the issue?

on 30th Sep, 2010 16:38, metaed wrote:
I was notified a few minutes ago to download a new PSI2SetupBeta.exe. When the download completed, I ran the executable. I got as far as clicking to confirm that the the running PSI could be stopped by the update. After that, the window of the running PSI came to the front but did not stop. Soon I began to notice a marked slowdown of the system, and used Process Explorer to identify the cause. The virtual memory of PSI2SetupBeta.exe was growing rapidly, consuming all the available RAM and causing a high rate of page faults to occur. At the size of 1,900 MB I killed the process. At this point I await further instructions before I proceed.

I have not been able to reproduce this issue.
Is this issue still reproduceable if you try to upgrade?

If so, try first uninstalling any old version of the PSI, re-downloading the installer from the top of this thread, and installing again.

Has this resolved the problem?

on 2nd Oct, 2010 16:22, Dwarden wrote:

my suggestions to this issue
+ make sure we can enforce 100% that this drive and this folder can't be scanned (e.g. i see no point for PSI wasting time on certain cache folder with 100k subfolders and millions files)

The Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta will not scan any drive not included, or any location set as "Ignored". Unlike earlier version, it skips the ignored location entirely, instead of scanning them and simply disregarding the results.

If you add an Ignore Rule for the folder you do not wish to have scanned, the PSI 2.0 Beta will leave those folders alone.

on 2nd Oct, 2010 16:22, Dwarden wrote:

+ show visual feedback what directory / files are scanned so one don't need to spy on the I/O to figure what is secunia app doing (make it e.g. advanced option)

I will ensure that your suggestions reaches our developers.

on 2nd Oct, 2010 19:19, Nergali wrote:
Looks good, I seem to be missing a few icons ( http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/3355/iconmissin... ) but that may be my PC not PSI
Thank you so much for listening to us and adding secure browsing option and also openfolder, ignore application without having to drill through levels

Thank you for reporting this issue.
Not all Applications have icons to display. I will suggest an improvement of our current handling of this, and include your feedback on the ticket in question.

on 3rd Oct, 2010 14:41, zendo wrote:
I have the same problem.
There are two sets of check boxes:
- show progs which are insec/eol/patched
- show only progs which are auto-upd
Should i read this as AND semantics?

Yes, you can regard the settings on this screen as "AND" settings. The options to include results in different states (Patched/Insecure/EOL) are necesarry to display any results at all - these will include results in the revelant state.

The "Show only auto-updateable programs" box will limit all results to those that can be automatically updated only.

hope this clarifies things.

on 3rd Oct, 2010 14:41, zendo wrote:

It may be nice to have an extra little button above the leftmost column to quickly expand / collapse everything in the list of programs.

I will ensure that your suggestions reaches our developers.

Thank you, everybody, for all your feedback and comments!
If there are further questions, suggestions or comments, please do not hesitate to post!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 4th Oct, 2010 12:02

Hello Emil ,

Many thanks for your detailed responses to my queries :))

Might I suggest that there is still a little confusion in the new results selection settings ; for me , as I use custom selection at M$updates , it would help greatly for ease of view and access if there would be two links in the lower section : one for PSI "auto-updat(e)able" programmes only and/or a second for inclusion/hiding of M$ "auto(?)-updat(e)able" programmes .

I wonder if the boxes unticking is any way related to settings carried over from the previous Beta ?? I will wait for the next available update and check a box and see if I get a prompt first .

Thanks again .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

Deepanshu

[+]
Member 5th Oct, 2010 05:58
Last edited on 5th Oct, 2010 05:59
I experienced an error like this when I started the new version for the first time. Try this: exit PSI by right-clicking on the green icon in the task bar. When you see that PSI stopped, start again and wait for loading interface until icon is green. Then try to open dashboard. If this not helps, comeback to the forum and let us know. Then Secunia staff will come with a solution later today,

--
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 9
Mozilla Firefox 31NL

Intel Core I5-2450
DDR3 RAM 6GB
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 31NL
Was this reply relevant?
+0
zendo RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 5th Oct, 2010 11:22
User Since: 19th Sep 2010
on 4th Oct, 2010 11:24, wrote:

This is the expected behaviour. We changed the limiting of results to be more logical, as the previous wording was confusing.

All Microsoft applications are included by default in the Auto-Updates section, and, as you have correctly noted, have no option to disable auto-updates individually (since all Microsoft Applications are handled through Microsoft Update).

OpenOffice, unfortunately, is currently not supported for Auto-Updates.

Thanks for clarifying these matters. One suggestion though: if the MS applications are handled differently it might be more visually clear to the user to see a different state reported under the 'Install Solution' column. Something like 'Up-to-date (AU-MS)' for example. Now 'Up-to-date' is reported which is confusing.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
metaed RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 5th Oct, 2010 15:41
User Since: 11th Feb 2009
on 4th Oct, 2010 11:24, wrote:
I have not been able to reproduce this issue.
Is this issue still reproduceable if you try to upgrade?

I cannot reproduce the problem on the same system where it occurred originally.

--
Sometimes they fool you by walking upright.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mc24qq RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 5th Oct, 2010 18:15
User Since: 12th Sep 2010
I am running Windows 7 Home Premium. Every time I open the user interface I get an error message:

Error Loading Filter Driver

An error occurred while attempting to enable the PSI filter driver

I get the error again if I go to settings and make any changes.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

carolyny476

[+]
Member 6th Oct, 2010 09:10
Hello Everybody,

on 4th Oct, 2010 12:02, Anthony Wells wrote:

Might I suggest that there is still a little confusion in the new results selection settings ; for me , as I use custom selection at M$updates , it would help greatly for ease of view and access if there would be two links in the lower section : one for PSI "auto-updat(e)able" programmes only and/or a second for inclusion/hiding of M$ "auto(?)-updat(e)able" programmes .

on 5th Oct, 2010 11:22, zendo wrote:
Thanks for clarifying these matters. One suggestion though: if the MS applications are handled differently it might be more visually clear to the user to see a different state reported under the 'Install Solution' column. Something like 'Up-to-date (AU-MS)' for example. Now 'Up-to-date' is reported which is confusing.

Thank you both for your suggestion(s). I will ensure that they reach our developers for consideration, along with your comment.

on 4th Oct, 2010 12:02, Anthony Wells wrote:

I wonder if the boxes unticking is any way related to settings carried over from the previous Beta ?? I will wait for the next available update and check a box and see if I get a prompt first .

As far as I can determine, this seems to be a simple matter of the checks not staying where they are supposed to - and this appears to be a global problem.
However, our developers are aware of the issue, and are considering solutions at the moment.

on 5th Oct, 2010 05:58, Leendert Kip wrote:
I experienced an error like this when I started the new version for the first time. Try this: exit PSI by right-clicking on the green icon in the task bar. When you see that PSI stopped, start again and wait for loading interface until icon is green. Then try to open dashboard. If this not helps, comeback to the forum and let us know. Then Secunia staff will come with a solution later today,

Are you asking for support? If so, am I correct in assuming that your problem relates to the Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta not loading it's user interface?

If so, do you have all your settings configured as per this item of our FAQ?

on 5th Oct, 2010 15:41, metaed wrote:
I cannot reproduce the problem on the same system where it occurred originally.

Glad to hear there are no further problems. If you experience this issue again, or any other problems (or have feedback for us!), please do not hesitate to post again.

on 5th Oct, 2010 18:15, mc24qq wrote:
I am running Windows 7 Home Premium. Every time I open the user interface I get an error message:

Error Loading Filter Driver

An error occurred while attempting to enable the PSI filter driver

I get the error again if I go to settings and make any changes.

We are aware of this issue, though we believe it to be related only to the "Program Monitoring" feature in the PSI. Can you reproduce this issue by ticking other settings than specifically Program Monitoring?

If anyone has further comments, input, suggestions or feedback, please do not hesitate to post back!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Oct, 2010 11:21
Last edited on 6th Oct, 2010 11:27
[quote=p271240Are you asking for support? If so, am I correct in assuming that your problem relates to the Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta not loading it's user interface?[/quote]

No Emil, I myself do not need support because my problem was solved already. I responded to a post from Deephanshu on 5/10 giving info to solve this.

--
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 9
Mozilla Firefox 31NL

Intel Core I5-2450
DDR3 RAM 6GB
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 31NL
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ddmarshall RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Dedicated Contributor 6th Oct, 2010 12:28
Score: 1198
User Since: 8th Nov 2008
System Score: 98%
Last edited on 6th Oct, 2010 12:31
I've started to get TypeError in util.switchPage selecting Dashboard or Scan results. This started after authorising automatic updates for Adobe Reader and Adobe Air. The update for Adobe Air went through but the update for Adobe Reader didn't complete. I then used the Adobe Reader Help Menu to update. After a rescan everything is shown patched, but the problem persists.

After restarting again the situation has resolved itself.l

--
This answer is provided as-is. You bear the risk of using it.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
gladstone03 RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 6th Oct, 2010 13:51
User Since: 14th Dec 2009
Beta V1.9.0.4001

Told that Microsoft .net framework V3.x and V4.x are missing KB2416471. I checked and that KB is installed. Further, I downloaded the KB and tried a manual install and it said that the KB is installed. So I am not sure what is being reported.

Gary
Was this reply relevant?
+0
gladstone03 RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 6th Oct, 2010 14:04
User Since: 14th Dec 2009
I went back and had PSI do another scan and this one came up clean. Sorry for the heads up.

gary
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Oct, 2010 16:40
Last edited on 6th Oct, 2010 16:57
Just got this same error message myself except I did not have any updates,or outdated programs. I also did not run a scan this morning. I run a scheduled scan every Sat a.m. last was run 2 Oct - score 100% next not due till 9 Oct.
I will try a restart to see if it is removed, regardless, I did not run a scan.
Pats3TX
HP Pavilion a6400f
Intel Pentium Dual Core
32 bit
IE 8
3.GB RAM
Restarted, it was still yellow icon,
Checked my Adobe Reader at Install/Uninstall ( that was the problem program according to Secunia) it was listed as the proper update (4.0) clicked on it and rescanned with Secunia. Fixed, all is Green and 100%. I just don't understand why it scanned itself today.

--
Pats3TX
Was this reply relevant?
+0
osgood74 It hangs. Something is wrong - RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 6th Oct, 2010 20:47
User Since: 21st Jun 2009
I've download and installed this latest version of PSI Beta half a dozen times in the last 2 days and it just hang and freezes after I click run or setup - I forget. What I get is a screen that shows it doing something with the server. I think it is checking a connection or something and it just freezes there. What's that all about? It doesn't do this on the other versions of PSI. Strange.

I'm pretty disappointed as I've learned the BETA has more goodies than PSI 2 which I've been using. I'd love to be able to use it much need some technical support on how to resolve this major obstacle.

Has anybody else experienced this? Just curious. Could use some advise please.

Thank you for your time and hopefully a resolution. I feel totally naked and vulnerable without Secunia protecting me.

Gratefully,

osgood

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 6th Oct, 2010 21:19

For ddmarshall ,

Did not see your post , same problem for me without AIR or Reader involvement , complete "Exit" and restart is working so far :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/580...

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Oct, 2010 10:52
Hi,

on 6th Oct, 2010 16:40, Pats33 wrote:
Just got this same error message myself except I did not have any updates,or outdated programs. I also did not run a scan this morning. I run a scheduled scan every Sat a.m. last was run 2 Oct - score 100% next not due till 9 Oct.

If you simply restart the PSI, this issue should be solved. Is that the case on your system, or do you require additional help?

on 6th Oct, 2010 20:47, osgood74 wrote:
I've download and installed this latest version of PSI Beta half a dozen times in the last 2 days and it just hang and freezes after I click run or setup - I forget. What I get is a screen that shows it doing something with the server. I think it is checking a connection or something and it just freezes there. What's that all about? It doesn't do this on the other versions of PSI. Strange.

Could you please try following the steps outlined in this item of our FAQ?

Has this resolved the issue?

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Midnight_Voice RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 7th Oct, 2010 15:37
Score: 44
User Since: 1st Oct 2010
System Score: 96%
Hi - PSI 2.0 is working well for me, and I'm largely very pleased with it, but I have a few questions:

(i) Where can I read that I'm running 1.9.0.4 in the PSI UI? I can't find it anywhere. I'd expect it to be in an 'About', but I can't find one of those either.

(ii) I have a couple of programs I can do nothing much about.

The first is WinDVD Gold 5, a DVD reading/writing program that was OEMed with this PC. PSI reports this, probably correctly, as 'End of Life', but the current version is only a demo for a paid upgrade, that I don't want to make.
(Pleasingly, PSI does not offer me an auto-update to what would be an inappropriate solution, though FileHippo does, apparently thinking this new version is free, when it isn't).

The second is a Cisco VPN Client 5.x, in which PSI reports a mild vulnerability, but I can only get the updated version via the company who supplied me with it so I could do some work for them. And they decline to move off this version.

I have both these programs set to 'Ignore', so I get a 100% score, but I don't really score 100%, any more than I only score 98% if I unignore them.
And ignored, they are 'out of sight, out of mind', which is a bit iffy.

Can we please have a new category of half-ignored for such EoL and Vuln programs, where they still show up in the scan, but don't impact the score?

(iii) Can PSI tell the difference between software that is actually installed, and software that is merely present?

Google Chrome, to take an example, is or was installing the latest version without deleting the earlier one.

But PSI was still detecting the earlier one, and refusing to believe Chrome was secure, until I manually deleted the old code in Windows Explorer. (Which I had to do, as even Control Panel Add/Remove programs only showed the latest version). Flash was doing the same sort of thing as well.

I suppose there is also the question of even if it can, then should it skip non-installed, but vulnerable programs?

(iv) Finally, an oddity:

My AVG Free 9.0 shows up twice, once under that name , and once as AVG Internet Security 9.x. The 'Free' one is 9.0.0.856, and is a backup that I think AVG must have made when installing the newer 9.0.0.862 under the 'Security' name. The actual file reported is avgui.exe

But both are shown as 'Up-To-Date' (without AU).

Is this a brilliant deduction by PSI that the up-to-date backup must be older than the latest version, or is this only OK since 856 had no reported vulns, and if we do get vulns in a later AVG, PSI is going to report the backup even after the installed executable is patched? (See (iii))

Hope you can help.

--
A computer program can do pretty much anything the user doesn't know is impossible for it to do.

XP Home 32-bit - Compaq Presario V2000 Celeron 1.4GHz
Vista Ultimate 32-bit - Toshiba Equium A100 Centrino Duo 1.7GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - Dell Studio XPS 1645 Core i7-720 Quad 1.6-2.4GHz
(Also running XP Pro in Windows XP Mode 32-bit)
Windows 8.1 Home Premium 64-bit - Lenovo IdeaPad Z500 Core i5 2.6Ghz
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 7th Oct, 2010 16:57
Last edited on 7th Oct, 2010 17:01
@Midnight Voice ,

To get you started on your DVD EOL "problem" ; here's an old thread dealing with your problem ; worht reading through the first part concerning codecs and free options reviewed at Gizmo's website :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/249...

Thread tends to wander later on .

Secunia will probably drop in to comment/reply to you later (tomorrow CET) .

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Yorugua RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 8th Oct, 2010 01:36
User Since: 30th Apr 2009
Last edited on 8th Oct, 2010 01:39
Hi, everyone. First time posting on the forum.
I wanted to know if the score graph and patch security history are suppose to be showing when using WinVista SP2, every program has been updated and patched as Secunia has shown on its scans. I installed the Secunia Beta version on another computer running XP SP3, also with all programs updated and patched, scoring 100%, and the graph and security history show perfectly. So, why is that?Is there anything I could do to change it? Thank you for the upcoming clarification.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 8th Oct, 2010 09:28
Hi,

on 7th Oct, 2010 15:37, Midnight_Voice wrote:

(i) Where can I read that I'm running 1.9.0.4 in the PSI UI? I can't find it anywhere. I'd expect it to be in an 'About', but I can't find one of those either.

The PSI UI currently has no "About" tab or box. However, if you right-click the Tray Icon, and select "About Secunia PSI", you can see which version you are running.

A user has already pointed out that having this information accessibly only from the tray icon is less than ideal. I will include your query on our ticket for this issue.

(ii) I have a couple of programs I can do nothing much about.

In most cases, the PSI can only offer a solution if there is a valid, free upgrade from the Vendor. Since the PSI is a vulnerability checker, however, it will still alert you to these issues, if a more recent/secure version exists.

If the version is payed-for, or unavailable, contact your vendor or reseller for an upgrade.

Can we please have a new category of half-ignored for such EoL and Vuln programs, where they still show up in the scan, but don't impact the score?

This is not very likely, as the current handling in the PSI takes most of these issues into consideration.
And End-Of-Life program is EOL because the vendor no longer supplies patches for it.
A vulnerable program has known vulnerabilities, and is therefore a danger to the system.
Either a program is a danger, or it is not. If you choose to ignore the danger, the PSI will not alert you of the issue.

Since the score reflects the overall security state of your system, excluding a program from the Score would generate an inaccurate score - After all, if you do not update your program, you are not 100% Secure.

However, I can still forward you feedback to our developers, who will consider your suggestion for a later version.

(iii) Can PSI tell the difference between software that is actually installed, and software that is merely present?

All executable software on your system will be scanned by the PSI. The real difference between "installed" and "merely present" is very blurry for software -
After all, if the file is executable, it is software, it's location nonwithstanding (Installed software usually goes in %ProgramFiles%).

The brief answer is that the PSI will pick up any program that has a matching file on your system.

For a more in-depth explaination of how the PSI gets it's data, please see: http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

But PSI was still detecting the earlier one, and refusing to believe Chrome was secure, until I manually deleted the old code in Windows Explorer. (Which I had to do, as even Control Panel Add/Remove programs only showed the latest version). Flash was doing the same sort of thing as well.

The issue of installers leaving behind old versions is a known problem.

The issue is created by the maintainers of the installers (The vendors), who fail to remove/upgrade old versions when installing more recent versions.

The Secunia PSI 2.0 tries to handle this better than previous versions by grouping results from the same program into one entry. If, for example, you have had Google Chrome on your system for a while, and have installed 5 upgrades, you will have 6 Chrome installations, who will all be picked up by the PSI.

In the new version, only the version information from the most recent install (the one that will be used if the installer works by sane parameters) is the one that counts in the PSI UI.
If any "Zombie Files" (leftover files from dead installations) are noted, the PSI will report their prescence (And their numbers, in the "#" column).

I suppose there is also the question of even if it can, then should it skip non-installed, but vulnerable programs?

As mentioned above, to the PSI there is no difference between "installed" and "non-installed". There are only scanable files, and perhaps a matching signature (which would result in a program being detected).

(iv) Finally, an oddity:

My AVG Free 9.0 shows up twice, once under that name , and once as AVG Internet Security 9.x. The 'Free' one is 9.0.0.856, and is a backup that I think AVG must have made when installing the newer 9.0.0.862 under the 'Security' name. The actual file reported is avgui.exe

But both are shown as 'Up-To-Date' (without AU).

Could I ask you to provide us with the Troubleshoot Report of both the detected applications?
If you double-click their entries on the Results tab, click Troubleshooting Report, and paste the contents here, we should be able to correct the misdetection.

on 8th Oct, 2010 01:36, Yorugua wrote:
Hi, everyone. First time posting on the forum.
I wanted to know if the score graph and patch security history are suppose to be showing when using WinVista SP2, every program has been updated and patched as Secunia has shown on its scans. I installed the Secunia Beta version on another computer running XP SP3, also with all programs updated and patched, scoring 100%, and the graph and security history show perfectly. So, why is that?Is there anything I could do to change it? Thank you for the upcoming clarification.

Do you happen to be running the Internet Explorer 9 Beta on your Vista system? There is a current issue with IE9 that prevents the PSI from showing any graphics.

For now, the only solution is to downgrade to a stable version of Internet Explorer.

If anyone has further comments, suggestions or questions, please do not hesitate to let us know.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Tunaman RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - Scheduled Scanning?
Member 8th Oct, 2010 14:08
User Since: 18th Dec 2008
Hi Emil,

I've been running the new Beta for over a week and following all the comments and your responses. You do a great service to the community. Many of my comments and findings have already been posted by others and responded to by you.

I recognize that a Beta release isn't necessarily a call for a "wish list" of new features, but I'll be bold enough to ask for consideration for the following.

Given that the "bad guys" are now routinely exploiting "zero-days" bugs, I am running a manual scan daily to try to be aware of software problems and hopefully install a vendor patch as soon as it becomes available. Your new Auto-Updates feature is great and goes a long way to solve this and keep ahead of the "bad guys".

That being said, I would still like to have to ability to add the Secunia scan to my list of daily "Scheduled Tasks".

Is this something that others have requested or that others would find beneficial? (Anyone else - please feel free to also comment on this.)

As I said earlier, I know this shouldn't be a "wish list", but I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

Keep up the great work and many thanks.

Regards,

Pete Anderson
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 8th Oct, 2010 16:20
on 8th Oct, 2010 09:28, wrote:
Hi,

The Secunia PSI 2.0 tries to handle this better than previous versions by grouping results from the same program into one entry. If, for example, you have had Google Chrome on your system for a while, and have installed 5 upgrades, you will have 6 Chrome installations, who will all be picked up by the PSI.

In the new version, only the version information from the most recent install (the one that will be used if the installer works by sane parameters) is the one that counts in the PSI UI.
If any "Zombie Files" (leftover files from dead installations) are noted, the PSI will report their prescence (And their numbers, in the "#" column).

(re two AVG reports)

Could I ask you to provide us with the Troubleshoot Report of both the detected applications?
If you double-click their entries on the Results tab, click Troubleshooting Report, and paste the contents here, we should be able to correct the misdetection.

Thanks for all your answers and help, including on the items I've snipped.

Here are the two requested Troubleshoot Reports.

I wonder now if what I am seeing is covered by your first paragraph, above, about zombie leftovers?

---START---

Program Name:
AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 9.x

Security State:
Patched

Download Link:

Instances Found:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg9\update\backup\avgui.exe, version: 9.0.0.856

Last System Scan (localtime):
3. Oct 2010, 23:48

Operating System:
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3

---END---
---START---

Program Name:
AVG Internet Security 9.x

Security State:
Patched

Download Link:

Instances Found:
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgui.exe, version: 9.0.0.862

Last System Scan (localtime):
3. Oct 2010, 23:48

Operating System:
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3

---END---

Properties/Version/Filename on the above program shows 'AVG Internet Security', FWIW.

Though I don't know how exactly PSI determines 'Program Name' - from your engine perhaps, as explained in the link you gave me, which I have followed and read? Perhaps this is mis-identifying the free program as the paid one?
Or perhaps this program is identical in both versions, though I'd doubt that.

But double-clicking the Systray entry definitely brings up an interface screen for 'AVG Antivirus Free'.

Thanks

M_V

--
A computer program can do pretty much anything the user doesn't know is impossible for it to do.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Yorugua RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 8th Oct, 2010 17:30
User Since: 30th Apr 2009
Hi, Emil

Thank you for your prompt response.
Yes, you are correct I use IE9-Beta, since my default is Chrome.
Thanks again, keep up the great work.
Sincerely,
Lidia C.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 8th Oct, 2010 18:28
on 7th Oct, 2010 16:57, Anthony Wells wrote:
@Midnight Voice ,

To get you started on your DVD EOL "problem" ; here's an old thread dealing with your problem ; worth reading through the first part concerning codecs and free options reviewed at Gizmo's website :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/249...

Thread tends to wander later on .

Secunia will probably drop in to comment/reply to you later (tomorrow CET) .

Take care

Anthony

Thanks, Anthony

I have a few other DVD readers, but none seem to run as smoothly on this old XP box.

I wasn't aware that uninstalling this one might remove a needed codec though; so all in all I reckon I'll keep it, EoL or not, and run the concomitant small risk.

What might the attack vector be, do you suppose, if something did try to hit this DVD program? A specially crafted DVD, or what?

Best regards

M_V

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 8th Oct, 2010 18:49
Last edited on 8th Oct, 2010 18:52
Emil,
I did reply( On 6 October) but added it on to my initial question here is my reply

Restarted, it was still yellow icon,
Checked my Adobe Reader at Install/Uninstall ( that was the problem program according to Secunia) it was listed as the proper update (4.0) clicked on it and rescanned with Secunia. Fixed, all is Green and 100%. I just don't understand why it scanned itself today.

Thanks for your help.

--
Pats3TX
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 8th Oct, 2010 23:59

For Midnight Voice

Hello M_V ,

You will not know whether an attack would be directed directly at the software because it is a known EOL and nobody is checking for vulnerabilities or whether a new malware goes for this type of software and you can't get it patched : like this :eg :-

http://secunia.com/advisories/windows_insecure_lib...

There is never no risk nor 100% security , but you can push the odds your way and go for minimal exposure with known , supported , minimally exposed/attacked software .

You can do your own risk assessment of Gold :-

Go to top of the left hand column on this page and select Advisories ->Advisories by Vendor -> "I" ->Intervideo and you get here :-

http://secunia.com/advisories/vendor/242/

If you click on WinDVD gold5 you will see that since 2003 there have been no Secunia Advisories (during it's support period only - not monitored since !!)

If you check WinDVD 6.x or 7.x you will see that there is an UNPATCHED vulnerability which dates back to 2007 ; it is SA24556 :-

http://secunia.com/advisories/24556/

Make of that what you will .

I currently run and am satisfied with WMP , MPC-HomeCinema , Veetle TV and the Free version of DivX (currently with the library loading vulnerability) ; plus the K-Lite Codec Pack .

You need to evaluate your own risks ; bad P2P or Torrent file sharing practice , poor safe browsing techniques or feeding Gold with contaminated discs may overshadow your player being EOL and/or it may be defenceless :(( .

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
mc24qq RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 9th Oct, 2010 01:19
User Since: 12th Sep 2010
Running Windows 7 Home premium

When I go the settings page and check "Enable program monitoring" I receive a popup with the following error message:

Error loading filter driver

An error occurred while attempting to enable the PSI filter driver.

Then the box is unchecked again.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
nadebag88 RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 11th Oct, 2010 04:56
User Since: 11th Oct 2010
thanks for the post
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Oct, 2010 09:59
Hi,

on 8th Oct, 2010 14:08, Tunaman wrote:
Hi Emil,
That being said, I would still like to have to ability to add the Secunia scan to my list of daily "Scheduled Tasks".

Thank your for your suggestion.
I will ensure that your suggestion reaches our developers, and that your comment is included in our ticket for the issue.

If you have any further wishes, please do let us know - The Beta period is exactly the right time to be writing wish-lists!

on 8th Oct, 2010 16:20, Midnight_Voice wrote:
Thanks for all your answers and help, including on the items I've snipped.

Here are the two requested Troubleshoot Reports.

I wonder now if what I am seeing is covered by your first paragraph, above, about zombie leftovers?

I am afraid there was not enough information here to correct the isssue.
The problem is caused by the different products having very similar file information.

If you can submit a software suggestion for this product, I should be able to correct our rules. To do so, go to the Results tab, and click "Are you missing a program?", fill out the form with the two files also listed in the debug report, and please add "Attn: Emil RE AVG products" to the comment field.

If anyone reading this has an installation of AVG Internet Security, I would also love a suggestion for this product in it's "natural environment".

on 8th Oct, 2010 18:28, Midnight_Voice wrote:

What might the attack vector be, do you suppose, if something did try to hit this DVD program? A specially crafted DVD, or what?

Specially crafted video files (AVI, OGG, etc) are only one possible vector for attack. If you want to be sure, expand the program's entry (by double-clicking it) on the results tab, and (under "Online References"), click "Secunia Advisory SAxxxxx. The Secunia Advisory will show you the details of the vulnerability, including the attack vector.

on 9th Oct, 2010 01:19, mc24qq wrote:

When I go the settings page and check "Enable program monitoring" I receive a popup with the following error message:

Error loading filter driver

An error occurred while attempting to enable the PSI filter driver.

We have deployed a fix for this issue.
If you restart the PSI and try again, is this issue still reproduceable?

If anyone has any further questions, suggestions or feedback, please do not hesitate to post!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
j.marcus.lehmann RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 11th Oct, 2010 12:08
User Since: 2nd Sep 2010
Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta shows "Cleaning up" as Install Solution for Adobe Reader (9.4.0.195). What does it mean?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
M.Hansen RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Secunia Official 11th Oct, 2010 12:58
Score: 188
User Since: 26th Jan 2009
"Cleaning up" refers to removing the installation files from the installation it has just completed.
Member 11th Oct, 2010 14:55
Last edited on 11th Oct, 2010 14:56
on 11th Oct, 2010 12:58, M.Hansen wrote:
"Cleaning up" refers to removing the installation files from the installation it has just completed.

So I have to remove these files by myself? Because Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta doesn't seem to delete these files. The Install Solution doesn't change.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Secunia Official 11th Oct, 2010 15:06
The PSI should be able to clean up after installing a patch.
Does the problem persist if you double-click the program and untick and retick the "Auto-Update" checkbox.?
ossabua RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 11th Oct, 2010 15:50
Score: 2
User Since: 29th May 2010
Last edited on 11th Oct, 2010 15:51
I just installed the new version but encountered several problems. First I tried to install following the normal procedure where the installer uninstalls the old version. Result was that the new version was installed and at startup gave the error in a smaller popup in the middle of the screen.

Error: Error
Function: ui.create
Line. undefined
Description: Ungltiges Argument

PSI doesn't work properly. Can you help me?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Oct, 2010 15:58
Hi,

Please try shutting down the PSI and opening it again. Has this resolved the issue?

If not, could I ask you to provide us with a debug log? Before beginning, please note that the debug log is confidential, and should not be posted to this forum.

To obtain a debug log, first shut down the PSI (By right-clicking the tray icon and selecting "Exit"). Then, enter "cmd" in either the Start > Run box (For XP), or directly in the start menu search bar (For Vista & Win7). Then, enter these commands exactly:
cd "%ProgramFiles%\Secunia\PSI"
psi.exe --verbose --debug secunia.txt

The PSI will now start in debug mode. Please follow the steps that lead to the issue, and send the file generated at (most likely) C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI (it may be C:\Program Files (x86) for 64-bit systems) to us at support@secunia.com, and we will investigate your problem.

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ossabua RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 11th Oct, 2010 17:46
User Since: 29th May 2010
Last edited on 11th Oct, 2010 20:47
for 64-bit systems

enter these commands exactly:

cd "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Secunia\PSI"

psi.exe --verbose --debug secunia.txt

Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 11th Oct, 2010 23:27
Last edited on 11th Oct, 2010 23:29
Re AVG 9 Free not showing as 'Free'

on 11th Oct, 2010 09:59, wrote:

I am afraid there was not enough information here to correct the issue.
The problem is caused by the different products having very similar file information.

If you can submit a software suggestion for this product, I should be able to correct our rules. To do so, go to the Results tab, and click "Are you missing a program?", fill out the form with the two files also listed in the debug report, and please add "Attn: Emil RE AVG products" to the comment field.

If anyone reading this has an installation of AVG Internet Security, I would also love a suggestion for this product in it's "natural environment".

@Emil

Since reporting this, I have installed AVG Free 2011, and that made those two entries go away. However, this new version is also coming up with the non-Free name, so I have done as you asked, but with this new version.

I hope this will be helpful.

M_V

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Oct, 2010 00:55
Last edited on 12th Oct, 2010 00:56
on 11th Oct, 2010 14:55, j.marcus.lehmann wrote:
So I have to remove these files by myself? Because Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta doesn't seem to delete these files. The Install Solution doesn't change.

I believe those files require a restart of the computer (this most recent adobe update required that)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Oct, 2010 13:07
on 11th Oct, 2010 15:06, M.Hansen wrote:
The PSI should be able to clean up after installing a patch.
Does the problem persist if you double-click the program and untick and retick the "Auto-Update" checkbox.?

This works great. Thanks!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Pats33 RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release! ERROR Message
Member 12th Oct, 2010 15:05
Since my last query on the 6th all has been well until this morning.

Started Secunia and Icon is Red - clicked on and the "Welcome" Screen came up. Stating Last full system scan N/A - Next Scheduled Full system scan N/A
Ran the scan got this error message:
ERROR- Type Error
FUNCTION -util switch page
FILE - undefined
LINE- undefined
DESCRIPTIUON- "length" is null or not an object
System Score 0%
I restarted Computer - the Welcome page again came up all the information was as I have previously stated - the fading box which gives the status at start says "Secunia is Running"
I checked my configuration and - Start on Boot, Enable program monitoring and Enable auto updates are all enabled. The prompt and secure browsing are not enabled.
All my ignore rules are listed and Both Drives are selected.

HP Pavilion a6400f
Intel Pentium Dual Core
32 bit
IE 8
3.GB RAM

--
Pats3TX
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Websafe RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 12th Oct, 2010 15:38
Score: 79
User Since: 24th May 2009
Last edited on 12th Oct, 2010 15:43
on 12th Oct, 2010 15:05, Pats33 wrote:
Since my last query on the 6th all has been well until this morning.

Started Secunia and Icon is Red - clicked on and the "Welcome" Screen came up. Stating Last full system scan N/A - Next Scheduled Full system scan N/A
Ran the scan got this error message:
ERROR- Type Error
FUNCTION -util switch page
FILE - undefined
LINE- undefined
DESCRIPTIUON- "length" is null or not an object
System Score 0%
I restarted Computer - the Welcome page again came up all the information was as I have previously stated - the fading box which gives the status at start says "Secunia is Running"
I checked my configuration and - Start on Boot, Enable program monitoring and Enable auto updates are all enabled. The prompt and secure browsing are not enabled.
All my ignore rules are listed and Both Drives are selected.

HP Pavilion a6400f
Intel Pentium Dual Core
32 bit
IE 8
3.GB RAM

PSI didn't scan any-more / error message (auto-resolved)

Hello Pats33,

Had exactly the same error message on:
Desktop Windows XP-home SP-3, 32 bit PSI 1.9.0.4001
Also the scan got aborted on:
Laptop Windows Vista Home Ultimate SP-2 32 bit PSI 1.5.0.2

While typing a forum text the problem auto-resolved it self.
Still curious about what happened.

I hope you are also able to do a PSI scan again.

Have a nice day,
Websafe.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 12th Oct, 2010 20:55
Thanks Websafe, I did scan again (just now) and it is back to all green and 100% - must be the gremlins again.
Thanks.
Pat
TX

--
Pats3TX
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 12th Oct, 2010 21:20

I had the same problem earlier today and it would not reset correctly by exiting and restarting the PSI , as it had done on a previous occasion - a few days ago .

Around the same time as you (1500hrs CET) I came back to my PC and restarted the PSI and once again it is running correctly :)

Naughty gremlins :(((

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
WildVirus RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 13th Oct, 2010 10:14
User Since: 13th Oct 2010
Hello,

if I click on "Enable program monitorin" I get's an error:

Error loading filter drive
An error occured while attemting to enable the PSI filter driver.

I use Windows 7 64 bit in German.

Deinstall and new install will be always the same.

CU,
Axel
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Oct, 2010 18:58
Last edited on 13th Oct, 2010 18:59
Java Shows twice; same location and same file detected.

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/6879/doubletap....

Survives restart of PSI (have not yet tried reboot of machine)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 13th Oct, 2010 21:42

Hello Nergali ,

My eyes see that the first file location path is truncated ; what is the full path ??

Does each path arrive in the same place ?? You can find out by right clicking each one and select open folder and see where they take you .

Does that help .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

jamec9869

[+]
Skeptia-9 RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 16th Oct, 2010 08:29
Score: 42
User Since: 15th Mar 2010
Last edited on 16th Oct, 2010 08:43
PSI 2.0 Beta (ver. 1.9.0.4001) is a wonderful keeper! Secunia's developers have earned a standing ovation for restoring the "Secure Browsing" feature and making it an advanced option in the PSI of the future. Thank you, Secunia!

Suggestion: Repurpose the hyperlinked word "Search" found to the right of the search box above the table of "Scan Results."

In exploring the search capabilities of the PSI, I think I have learned the search box has been given "find-as-you-type" functionality by the developers. Am I correct about that? If so, isn't pressing "Enter" on the keyboard or clicking on a hyperlink-rigged object unnecessary? Since the search results are displayed when you have finished typing a program's name or a path, I am wondering what clicking on "Search" is supposed to do? I cannot see that it affects anything on my machine.

After I have examined the results of my search and need to return to the table of "Scan Results," clicking on "Scan Results" under "Patch Your PC" at the upper left of the page has no effect. In order to see "Scan Results" again, I need to sweep out the contents of the search box. Could the hyperlinked word "Search" be repurposed into a "Clear Search Box" button? It would be great to be able to clear the search box with one click, thereby regaining access to the aggregated list of installed programs.

Suggestion: Create a tool tip for the search box informing the user that the PSI's search capabilities are case sensitive. Also, add a description of the PSI's search functionality to the excellent new users' guide. Including an illustration of the search syntax would be helpful, too.

An observation difficult to explain concisely: When I select a program in the table of "Scan Results," the most important nugget of information the PSI provides is the detected version. Unfortunately, opening the pop-up to see additional information covers up the "Detected Version" column of "Scan Results" on my desktop PC's monitor. I would, therefore, be inclined to want the detected version of a program or an add-on to display at all levels of navigation. Keeping the detected version of a program in plain sight, when the pop-up window of additional information is open, is very important to me, so I drill down through the menus to locate the check-box to display the "Detected Version" column in the pop-up. Unfortunately, this adjustment is good for one program only, and it does not stick. I would prefer to make display of the "Detected Version" in the popup of additional information a global change that sticks as a permanent "user choice" setting. This choice would make the PSI easier for me to use, because it would eliminate the necessity of moving or resizing the pop-up, or rearranging the columns in the table of "Scan Results" or drilling through the menus to display "Detected Version" in the pop-up. This is simply my preference. I can always write a long version number on a piece of paper for reference while I investigate a troublesome program.

There is a similar, but more complex, situation in "Secure Browsing" involving the PSI's inability to display the detected versions of browser add-ons. The developers, however, provide a great work-around with the search box. Typing "seamonkey" or "firefox" (each without the quotes) in the PSI's search box, generates a list of most of the add-ons for these browsers that does include the detected version of each add-on.

The author of the new "Setup and Usage Guide" for PSI 2.0 has done an excellent job of writing succinctly in pithy conversational English, which should be well-received by all users, whether they are educators, ordinary home users, or users in the workplace. A proofreader has already corrected several misspelled words and other problems. Here are more suggestions:

page 3, paragraph 2, "curently" = misspelled, correction = "currently"

page 3, paragraph 2 originally read "that will advice you to install"; the Secunia proofreader's change says "that will offer you to install"; better syntax = "that will advise you to install" or "that will offer to install"

page 3, next to last paragraph, apostrophe needed, "vendor's own website"

top of page 6, plural subject needs a plural verb, correction = "yellow and red indicate"

page 7 beneath heading "Insecure", 2 corrections needed, "the version installed have one" should read "the version installed has one" (singular version requires singular verb has); "the vendor of the program have released" should read "the vendor of the program has released" (singular vendor requires singular verb has)

bottom of page 7 under "Direct download", apostrophe needed for possessive case, "vendor's website"

bottom of page 7 under "Download from website", apostrophe needed again for "vendor's website"

page 8, paragraph 2, "additional options" = plural, "enables" = singular, correction = "additional options show up that enable"

page 9, paragraph 5, "build-in" should be corrected to "built-in", reason = used as a compound adjective modifying "Windows Add/Remove"

page 10, paragraph 3, apostrophe needed for possessive case, correction = "the program's product page at Secunia"

page 10, paragraph 4, apostrophe needed, correction = "button leads to the program's home", possessive case, because it is the home of the program

page 10, last paragraph, "Ignore rules, by default, ignores" (plural subject, singular verb), correction = "An ignore rule, by default, ignores"

page 12, last paragraph, "all information" = singular collective requiring a singular verb, correction = "all information exchanged between the user and Secunia servers is standardized"

page 13 under "Enable Secure Browsing Page", "vulnerabilities" = plural; therefore, elements in the remainder of the sentence, which are dependent, should also be plural; suggest correction = "vulnerabilities in your browser and its extensions even before the vendors have released patches to fix them" (vulnerabilities, vendors, have, patches, them--all should agree with respect to number)

page 15, paragraph 2 under "Updating and Patching", "solutions" = plural requiring plural verb, "comes" = singular, correction = "solutions to the security threats come from the vendors"

page 15, paragraph 1 under "Got a Problem", "someone" = singular subject requiring singular verb, correction = "someone may have solved or experienced it before you, and is ready"

page 17, paragraph 2, "vulnerabilities" = plural requiring plural verb, correction = vulnerabilities can and are being used" Also, no comma is necessary after "used".

page 17 under "About Secunia", last paragraph, "free of change"????? correction = "free of charge"

Conclusion: In the field of computer software, Secunia's PSI is one of the most powerful educational tools I have ever used; and I appreciate it.

Thank you for the opportunity to comment.

Skeptia-9
WinXP Home SP3, 32-bit
Secunia PSI ver 1.9.0.4001 Beta
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Mindkeeper RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 16th Oct, 2010 09:06
Score: -7
User Since: 16th Oct 2010
I'm satisfied. It's working well for a beta.

But only for English working systems and software or multilingual installers.
Otherwise it changes the language to English. That is a bug!
Pls - make your Software working multilingual.

I like to except my backups and archives from scanning. Fine feature.

:D

--
(_8(|)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
highstream RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 16th Oct, 2010 20:46
Score: 6
Have to disagree with most here.

I just updated from 1.9.02 to 1.9.0.4 and what an unpleasant surprise with the new UI. It's as if someone decided that worthless statistics are the thing, as if I care what Montana users are doing or what my "score" or what the number of patches has been over the past months. There is very little on the dashboard of interest to me: only Last Scan, Auto Updates History and State of Programs. Most of the rest is marketing or can show elsewhere (e.g., user name can show under Settings).

In the process of simplifying, I think you've rendered the UI next to meaningless. Mostly meaningless glitter for dummies. I much prefer having separate tabs or links for the list of Insecures or End of Lifes or such, rather than combining them all under a long list of Scan Results.
Was this reply relevant?
+3
cchur RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 16th Oct, 2010 21:48
User Since: 16th Oct 2010
I just downloaded and installed PSI 2.0 Beta and now I am getting an error message that it can't find the proper browser fot the url. I have used PSI for years and this is a new one. I'm running Windows Vista with the latest service packs and updates. Would like some direction on troubleshooting this problem. Oh yes, I have both IE and Firefox 3.6.10

Thanks,
Chuck
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Oct, 2010 17:20
On first computer start up since install of the beta, I got a Runtime Error (MS Visual C++). Click OK, PSI then threw up a box that said it had to close (XP/SP3). It reopened ok.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Oct, 2010 17:25
Last edited on 17th Oct, 2010 17:26
Afterthought to my post: The "System Score" in the Sys Tray (XP) doesn't mean anything to me. I prefer the number of insecure items that you've used up until now, which is more specific.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
jan.killian RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 18th Oct, 2010 21:45
User Since: 11th Sep 2010
Thanks, it works great. I'm still missing 2 features:

* Autoupdate log
- might be accessible from dashboard auto-updates history info,
and possibly also from particular program screen (showing only updates of the given program)

* Last update
- similiar to last scan, shows on dashboard, when rules were last updated from secunia servers, and does update on click (+match known programs against the new rules) ... useful for quick check without having to rescan all PC

Can you kindly consider them?
Jan
Was this reply relevant?
+0

hawaiiisit2

[+]
Secunia Official 21st Oct, 2010 10:22
on 18th Oct, 2010 21:45, jan.killian wrote:
Thanks, it works great. I'm still missing 2 features:

* Autoupdate log
- might be accessible from dashboard auto-updates history info,
and possibly also from particular program screen (showing only updates of the given program)

* Last update
- similiar to last scan, shows on dashboard, when rules were last updated from secunia servers, and does update on click (+match known programs against the new rules) ... useful for quick check without having to rescan all PC

Can you kindly consider them?
Jan

I've added your suggestion for the Auto-Update log to our internal system so our developers can have a look at it.

The PSI will update it's rule every time you perform a full scan.
Also, we're currently working on a instant notification feature that will notify the PSI about changes to certain programs, so you will get your programs updated as fast as possible without having to rescan. This feature is working in the newest beta and is still being tested.

on 16th Oct, 2010 09:06, Mindkeeper wrote:
I'm satisfied. It's working well for a beta.

But only for English working systems and software or multilingual installers.
Otherwise it changes the language to English. That is a bug!
Pls - make your Software working multilingual.

Some programs has multi language installer support and we will attempt to apply this to as many products as possible

To change the preferred language, double click the program on the results page and select the language from the drop down. (only visible for supported programs) (Mozilla products, Adobe Reader 9.x, CometBird. 3.x)
MarcP RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 23rd Oct, 2010 10:32
User Since: 23rd Oct 2010
on 21st Oct, 2010 10:22, M.Hansen wrote:
Some programs has multi language installer support and we will attempt to apply this to as many products as possible

To change the preferred language, double click the program on the results page and select the language from the drop down. (only visible for supported programs) (Mozilla products, Adobe Reader 9.x, CometBird. 3.x)

What I really miss regarding this feature is a global language setting.
At the moment I have to step through each progam in the list to change the <default> setting to my own language.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 23rd Oct, 2010 16:43
I continue to have the same issue with this new version, that the program will not connect to the Secunia server, and yes, I am able to access https://secunia.com.

I can get no help from Kaspersky, which, as I have stated previously, appears to be the problem.

Perhaps Secunia could contact Kaspersky and exert some influence, as while Kaspersky may have one of the best products, their support is beneath contempt.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Nepeta RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 24th Oct, 2010 19:23
User Since: 6th Dec 2008
Hello. I can't think clearly...I'm a chronic insomniac. But, I have just been trialling the beta version and today have been unable to provide you with feedback from the program interface. Generally, I prefer the previous version - less compact in its arrangement - and MUCH more reliable. Nice IDEA to have updates automatically installed...In practice, no indication in taskbar of status quo, no acknowledgement of newly insecure programs...Automatic updates ticked but never working...Rescan not working...You think (are told) that you have a 100% score, but when you click on 'Browser Security' a much bleaker picture appears, with highly vulnerable software (Java) displayed, and, no matter how many times you clean install (or try to) Java, and apply the fix, no change in status is ever recorded by Secunia, even after several Windows restarts. The compactness is, I think, overdone. It is easier (and more enjoyable) to find your way around the earlier PSI. The beta version very often absents itself from your system tray - which is disconcerting. There may be more (to say) but I am too exhausted to be able to remember more at this stage - and have uninstalled the beta in favour of the previous version - with its menu across the top of the page. I have always clicked on the PSI's 'Advanced' tab, and personally think that it would be rather nice if any new version were no more mimimal than the previous version BUT did (yes) include automatic updating. I'm grateful for PSI..It's a valuable program. Hope this helps. Nepeta.

(P.S.: I've had a hacker on my laptop for many, many months, and no help from anyone (engineer, ISP provider or anyone else) in connection with this issue. It is obvious to me that the hacker - who infiltrated my mail and kept uninstalling, disabling and corrupting all my (non-conflicting) security software programs - doctored Secunia and, needlesss to say, harvested most of my internet- and software-related passwords and login details...SEVEN! restorations of my computer to factory default settings since 1st September did not address the issue at all. After the last of these restorations, when I logged in to Secunia, it announced that it had not seen me since 17th February! I'm hardly surprised. Is someone at PSI able to tell me whether this refers to February of THIS year - or might it be February last year or even the year before? This information, if accessible, would be appreciated by me. Many thanks! Nepeta.)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 24th Oct, 2010 21:13

Hello@Nepeta ,

I'll leave Secunia to comment on your PSI/Forum webpage comments ; concerning your hacker , if there is something like a keylogger in your hardwiring and/or cable links , a Wi-Fi sniffer with your password or your nemesis sitting in the clouds in a mail client, then all the restorations will not be of much use . Similarly if you have back up data with a rootkit or polymorphic exploit hidden therein .

Not much help , but other aspects to look into .

Good luck .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Secunia Official 25th Oct, 2010 10:50
on 23rd Oct, 2010 10:32, MarcP wrote:
What I really miss regarding this feature is a global language setting.
At the moment I have to step through each progam in the list to change the <default> setting to my own language.

I agree that this feature need to be polished a bit, I've already made sure that our developers will look into this.

Thank you for the feedback
astromud RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 28th Oct, 2010 07:27
User Since: 28th Oct 2010
First off, i have been using PSI for the past couple of years. Several weeks ago i upgraded to the 1.9.0.4 beta and i love it. The auto update feature is killer, though i would like a little more feedback during the process - what happens if i reboot, log off, or kick off another software installation or removal in the middle of an auto update?

I do have a couple of suggestions based on my personal use which i feel could make 2.0 even better.

1. I have a couple of computers with multiple accounts for family members. PSI only runs under the account in which it was installed. I can start it manually under the other accounts, but PSI then performs a new scan each time so i gather it stores separate data for each user. Would love an option to install PSI globally for all accounts.

2. A shortcut in the scan results or application details to quickly and easily add a program to the exclude list so it will no longer be scanned.

3. The ability to change the full scan interval from the default of a week to a custom value.

2.0 is shaping up to be great, thanks for all the hard work!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Secunia Official 28th Oct, 2010 10:22
on 28th Oct, 2010 07:27, astromud wrote:

1. I have a couple of computers with multiple accounts for family members. PSI only runs under the account in which it was installed. I can start it manually under the other accounts, but PSI then performs a new scan each time so i gather it stores separate data for each user. Would love an option to install PSI globally for all accounts.

2. A shortcut in the scan results or application details to quickly and easily add a program to the exclude list so it will no longer be scanned.

3. The ability to change the full scan interval from the default of a week to a custom value.

The PSI should run as "Admin" and then scan all users folders for programs.

You can rightclick a path in the program details to ignore it.

This has been requested a few times and I've added it to our "Todo" list.

Thank you for your feedback!
odds_2 RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 31st Oct, 2010 13:55
User Since: 12th Mar 2010
Last edited on 31st Oct, 2010 13:58
It seems that the preferred language in auto-update is not working well enough.

I have experienced that this information is removed, if the application in question is updated by itself or manually.

And as such the auto-update functionality upgrades with the wrong language version.

Last time this happened to me was with Mozilla Firefox and the upgrade from 1.6.11 go 1.6.12...

I use "Norwegian Bokml" language...

Also the characters representing the norwegian special characters . , , , , is represented erronously in the pull-down list in PSI beta... Might possibly have something to do with the challenges above...

Also I have noticed that PSI do not strongly suggest a restart of Firefox. This functionality should suggest more strongly to restart the application, like Firefox do itself...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
astromud RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 31st Oct, 2010 19:09
User Since: 28th Oct 2010
Thanks for the quick reply. I found the button for the quick program exclude under scan results, wonderful.

Regarding #1, i would still like a global installation option for machines with multiple accounts as opposed to simply installing under an admin user. As an IT professional, i end up being desktop support for my friends and family. And i install this software on their machines to help keep them up to date and out of trouble between visits. So i am not there to log in as the admin user and regularly run a scan. Nor to make sure that they actually apply the updates, which is why i so love the new auto update feature. So with the inclusion of a global install option, i can have a completely set it and forget it software update solution for all non-microsoft/windows update software. And i can spend more time visiting with my family and friends instead of working on their computers!

b
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Secunia Official 1st Nov, 2010 12:41
on 31st Oct, 2010 13:55, odds_2 wrote:
It seems that the preferred language in auto-update is not working well enough....

I've created a bug report for the issue where language settings resets in some cases.

The error where special characters like , , is not shown properly is already on our list, but thanks for reporting it anyway!

genok

[+]
genok RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 5th Nov, 2010 23:06
Score: -6
User Since: 24th Jan 2010
Installed Secunia PSI 2,0 beta - have a good program interfeys.Iz cons can be identified the lack of multi languages, as was the old version of Secunia PSI inspector.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
jan.killian RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 6th Nov, 2010 08:25
User Since: 11th Sep 2010
Last edited on 6th Nov, 2010 08:31
Hello, thanks for this beta, it moves forward greatly, still found few minor issues:

1. scan results show Apple Safari 5.x as patched, while secure browsing page shows it as unpatched without vendor solution. The same for MSIE 8.x and 8.x 64bit. I can understand that you prefer to not worry regular users with issues they cannot fix anyway (ie. without vendor solution; btw users can actually stop using the program or use it carefullly), especially givent that there is permanent unresolved hole in MSIE 8.x so noone would be actually at 100% at all :).
This seems imho good for users who do not understand and would be confused. But for me and probably other IT's or power users, it's more important to know about the unresolved threats, than having a good impression of false security and green 100% ;)
Could you kindly add settings to show unresolved issues in scan results as well?
For browser related things I can see it on secure browsing, but for other apps, there's currently no way, right?

2. Yesterday I updated Flash Player 10.x (NPAPI) (ie., flash for Opera/Firefox/Safari) manually, because I did not see (AU) mark there, so I wanted to report that adding the capability to update it would be nice, as it is one of critical components ... but today I see it is 'up-to-date (AU)'.
Does it mean you just added AU capability for it and PSI downloaded it with new scan rules (btw, is PSI capable of this?)?
Or is it some bug?

3. Winamp, VLC, and PDF viewers (Adobe, STDUviewer, Foxit) are common vectors for browser attack. Could you kindly inspect the possibilities to update them automatically?

4. Firefox, Thunderbird and Picasa can autoupdate them and it's usually faster (e.g. imho around 2MB download diff update vs 8MB with firefox 3.6.12).
Could PSI trigger their update mechanism instead of downloading a full installer?

Other minor advantage would be that this method also retains the language settings for FF/TB automatically, without the need for setting it in PSI.
On multilanguage PC's it's actually a major advantage, because currently there are multiple FF/TB with different languages installed in different folders, and each of them has to be updated with different language.
This is because on Windows the solution with language addons to single FF/TB instance doesn't work currently, see https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=45182... Shortly, the language xpi's are not updated with FF/TB update, which breaks FF/TB as a result ... on contrary to Linux, where the package management system takes care about.

I did not test, but does PSI retain the install folder when updating an application that is not installed in a standard folder?

Good luck and many thanks for your work!
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Expert Contributor 7th Nov, 2010 13:42
Last edited on 7th Nov, 2010 13:44
Hello Jan ,

Whilst you wait for Secunia to pick this up tomorrow :-

1) Your point is currently discussed in this thread :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/621...

Unfortunately , Secunia don't seem to be keen on the idea , but have not elaborated so far .

2)There is/has been a "bug" in the Beta which resets the "auto-update" to checked in the individual programme - click [+] and double click entry to open Quick Facts/details window - even after a manual update .
Are you using the latest 1.9.0.4001 version of the PSI 2.0Beta ??
Is the "auto-update" - with or without prompt - selected in "Configuration/Settings" - l.h.s. of Dashboard ?? Support may have further comments .

3 and 4)Secunia have specific criteria for being able to run "auto-update" and other "download solution" installers in general and language versions in particular ; in the Beta all the installers run the International/English version - except where specified for a few "auto-update" programmes :eg: Mozilla Firefox .

I understand that Secunia consider this a "bug"are busy working on this area and no doubt they will reply to all your points .

NB : I would add , reference the idea of running the internal programme update rather than a full installer is a good one in principle - many vendors and Secunia recommend it as firts choice - but it would seem complex according to which version you had loaded/running on which platform/branch , etc , but I'm only guessing . I always run the internal updater and check the changelog (where possible) so that I know what I'm downloading onto my PC . On the same basis I use "Custom" downloads from M$ updates for my XP SP3 machine .

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+2
howiem9999 RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 9th Nov, 2010 05:31
User Since: 8th Dec 2008
Hi, I just tried the new 2 beta yesterday. After going through the uninstall older version 1.5.0.2 and installing the new 2 Beta, the install went OK. But when I opted to launch the program, it tried to launch and then crashed - just left the screen and the systray icon disappeared. Tried to run it again with same results. This happened with earlier 2 Beta versions. I reinstalled 1.5.0.2 and it is working fine. I got no errors on the screen and none in the event log. I am using AVAST AV free, but was not running any other security programs at the time. Any ideas will be appreciated.

--
howiem
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability