Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Installed PSI as limited user, never auto-starts

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI 2.0 Beta

This thread has been marked as locked.
HQuest Installed PSI as limited user, never auto-starts
Member 30th Sep, 2010 17:57
Ranking: 2
User Since: 11th Nov, 2009
System Score: 100%
Since the old PSI 1.5, one of the most annoying things on PSI is the tool not auto-starting automatically with Windows 7, when the check box is enable to. The catch? My user account is not an administrator account, but a regular, limited user.

I believe the auto-start with Windows option in PSI adds the tool to the user startup registry. As the user running PSI is an administrator and not my regular user, it is never ran.

Any chance of registering PSI on "system startup" -- thus for all users?

mogs RE: Installed PSI as limited user, never auto-starts
Expert Contributor 30th Sep, 2010 20:12
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Hello.
Here's an extract from a recent Secunia reply:-

In the PSI 2.0 Beta period, one of the things we will be looking into improving is how the PSI currently handles least-user privilige.

As Anthony correctly pointed out, the PSI currently needs to run as the Administrator user (or another user with compareable rights), since it accesses several crucial system resources.

As I said, though, we will be looking into improving this. I suggest you both keep your eyes on the Secunia PSI 2.x releases to come.

Emil R. Petersen
Secunia PSI Support

Hope it helps..........regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
libove RE: Installed PSI as limited user, never auto-starts
Member 1st Oct, 2010 18:58
Score: 31
User Since: 12th Feb 2008
System Score: N/A
My - hopefully interim, until PSI 2 includes a background System service to avoid this problem entirely - solution to logging in as a non-admin user and still getting PSI to run automatically (this works with both PSI 1.5 and PSI 2beta) is a neat little tool called "SuRun". It's a lot like the UNIX "sudo" command, for Windows. (Note that I have no connection to SuRun, just that I found it specifically in order to get PSI to work when logging in as a non-admin, and I've found the author, Kay Bruns, to be responsive and helpful. I make no warranties about the tool).

You can get SuRun from http://kay-bruns.de/wp/software/surun/ (German language; there's a link towards the top of the page itself to get an automated English translation).

Note that the current released version of SuRun 1.2.0.8 doesn't play nice with Vista/ Windows 7 Aero - but the current beta 1.2.0.9b14 does. The beta is available at http://forum.kay-bruns.de/post/2888

The specific configurations which I have created for SuRun to allow PSI to auto-start, as administrator, when I log in with my normal non-admin user, look like this (this is a subset of the exported configuration directly from SuRun; you can install SuRun, add a single user which will be User0, export the SuRun config, then edit in the obvious text parts of this and re-import):

[WhiteList0]
0=""C:\Program Files (x86)\Secunia\PSI\psi.exe""
1=""C:\Program Files (x86)\Secunia\PSI\psi.exe" --start-in-tray"

(Note that if you're on a 32-bit system, you'll exclude the " (x86)" part of the program paths).

I also found it necessary to edit the Scheduled Task that PSI creates when you select to start at login time, to increase the delay time before PSI starts from the default 20 seconds to 1 minute, to make sure that SuRun has had time to fully initialize. Otherwise, sometimes PSI starts up before SuRun has hooked in, and PSI doesn't get automatic credentials (resulting either in a UAC prompt, or PSI silently not starting, depending on your system configuration).

Secunia, please change the start delay in the Scheduled Task for PSI to run at login time from 20 seconds to 1 minute. There's no harm in the extra 40 seconds delay for almost all use cases, and it will flatten out the startup/ login load, so I believe that it is a good overall change.

Thanks, and I hope this reference is helpful.
Jay
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+