Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Bug - Windows sound settings altered

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI 2.0 Beta

This thread has been marked as locked.
Sopee Bug - Windows sound settings altered
Member 1st Oct, 2010 18:39
Ranking: 2
User Since: 12th Jun, 2010
System Score: N/A
It appears that there is a reproducible bug in PSI v1.5.0.2 (and maybe earlier) which is also present in the current 2.0 beta version.

After running PSI some of the applied Windows sound settings (whether default or custom) are being changed or removed.
Specifically the "Start Navigation" sound in Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer is being disabled (it's the click you get when you open a folder or click on a link).

It can be reset by re-applying your chosen sounds profile, but besides being inconvenient, also raises the question of what other settings in the registry may be being inadvertently altered by PSI!

It appears the bug is present in all current versions of Windows (XP and higher).

(I've posted this here as I can't seem to find an appropriate place to report the bug)

Anupam RE: Bug - Windows sound settings altered
Member 1st Oct, 2010 20:33
Score: 0
User Since: 1st Oct 2010
I confirm the above findings by Sopee, and I have too observed the same problem, or bug. I am using the latest version of PSI 1.5.0.2, on XP SP2. When PSI is run, the sound for Start Navigation gets disabled.

I had sent a mail about this to support@secunia.com, but I haven't received a reply yet. I have seen two-three posts about this in other threads on Secunia forum too, but there is no reply to the posts too. The OS have been Windows 7, even x64 versions too. So, this bug affects all systems.

I find it strange and mysterious as to why Secunia PSI changes that setting. I am quite interested in the answer. Its disappointing to know that this bug has been carried on to the beta 2.0 too.

Awaiting a reply.

Thanks, and keep on the good work :).
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Bug - Windows sound settings altered
Member 4th Oct, 2010 13:38
Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

We are aware of this issue, and will be investigating a solution.

If you have any further questions or comments, please do not hesitate to post!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: Bug - Windows sound settings altered
Expert Contributor 4th Oct, 2010 15:29
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Anupam.

*I confirm the above findings by Sopee, and I have too observed the same problem, or bug. I am using the latest version of PSI 1.5.0.2, on XP SP2. When PSI is run, the sound for Start Navigation gets disabled.*

I use Vista Home Premium SP2. My friend had a lot of trouble getting SP3 for his XP . I thought it was a must these days ? Perhaps it's just a misprint ? If not; wouldn't psi have picked it up ? Just asking......regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Sopee RE: Bug - Windows sound settings altered
Member 4th Oct, 2010 15:56
Score: 2
User Since: 12th Jun 2010
Last edited on 4th Oct, 2010 15:58
@ E.Petersen

Thank you for your attention to this problem.

You may be interested to read these two techsupportalert.com forum posts made by 26Dolphins :-

http://www.techsupportalert.com/freeware-forum/gen...

http://www.techsupportalert.com/freeware-forum/gen...

where he explains his experience of the bug in more detail which may be of use to you.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Anupam RE: Bug - Windows sound settings altered
Member 4th Oct, 2010 16:33
Score: 0
User Since: 1st Oct 2010
Mogs, no, its not a misprint. I am still using XP SP2 on my system. I have been thinking of installing SP3 on my system, but I have been putting it off, because I have read about problems while installing SP3. Also, at present, I do not have a bigger hard disk to take backup of my important things, and that's a reason too for not installing SP3 till now. When I have means to take backup, I will do it.

Why SP3 is hard to get? I don't think its hard. You have to just download the setup file for SP3, which is readily available, and install it over SP2.

For getting updates from Microsoft, SP3 is necessary, otherwise running SP2 is fine.

And no, PSI does not say anything about running SP2. No alerts for that.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 4th Oct, 2010 16:51
Last edited on 4th Oct, 2010 17:36
Thanks for the explanation Anupam....as long as my eyes aren't deceiving me !!
I should have stated that my friend had some trouble with the download/install of SP3 on his XP. It's quite some time ago now....I remember because I sought help from Maurice Joyce, on this forum, to help with the matter. We were trying to get him set up at the time because, as I thought then, it had to be done by a certain time else MS would no longer support. Obviously I've gotten the wrong impression....tho' a little bemused still....thanks for the clarification.........regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Anthony Wells RE: Bug - Windows sound settings altered
Expert Contributor 4th Oct, 2010 18:46
Score: 2439
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 4th Oct, 2010 19:02
Hello @Sopee ,

As Emil has replied to you ; perhaps I might make two points concerning the links to Gizmo's Forum :-

There are a lot of comments in the posts concerning the new Betas and dumbing down and such - "noobs" also need help . I'm sure if you post your concerns here in a new thread in the sub-forum "PSI 2.0 Beta" , then someone else might respond and certainly it will be logged by Emil for the various developer tickets . I too was introduced to Secunia (when it was just OSI) by Gizmo and am still grateful . The first 2.0 Beta was not to my liking in many ways . Most comments were listened to and the latest 1.9.0.4 version of 2.0 Beta is a major step forward , if still (for me) with some work to do .

Re Firefox and this Advisory :-

http://secunia.com/advisories/41244/

It is still in effect and was last updated on 28/09/2010 . Ff 3.6.9 did not patch the problem and 3.6.10 was only (a major) stability fix for some users of 3.6.9 where crashing made Ff unusable .

As the PSI only checks vulnerabilities 3.6.9 was the last version to get a patch , so both it and 3.6.10 are secure with all available patches loaded - no solution yet for SA41244 *** .

Hope this is helpful

Anthony

PS: The Advisories are not taken care of by the same dept. as secunia support . They are fastidious about presenting correct and up to date data . Emil is doing his best with all the interest in the PSI Betas , so patience becomes a virtue :)) Instant gratification is often overrated :))

EDIT *** see today's post by @palisade re 3.6.11

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Sopee RE: Bug - Windows sound settings altered
Member 4th Oct, 2010 20:54
Score: 2
User Since: 12th Jun 2010
on 4th Oct, 2010 18:46, Anthony Wells wrote:
Hello @Sopee ,

As Emil has replied to you ; perhaps I might make two points concerning the links to Gizmo's Forum :-

There are a lot of comments in the posts concerning the new Betas and dumbing down and such - "noobs" also need help . I'm sure if you post your concerns here in a new thread in the sub-forum "PSI 2.0 Beta" , then someone else might respond and certainly it will be logged by Emil for the various developer tickets . I too was introduced to Secunia (when it was just OSI) by Gizmo and am still grateful . The first 2.0 Beta was not to my liking in many ways . Most comments were listened to and the latest 1.9.0.4 version of 2.0 Beta is a major step forward , if still (for me) with some work to do .

PS: The Advisories are not taken care of by the same dept. as secunia support . They are fastidious about presenting correct and up to date data . Emil is doing his best with all the interest in the PSI Betas , so patience becomes a virtue :)) Instant gratification is often overrated :))

Hi Anthony

The links I posted weren't a dig, they were only meant to draw attention to the actual posts they specifically link to, as those contain info that may be of some help in clarifying this particular problem.

I do recognise all the effort that has gone into developing PSI and appreciate it's usefulness. From my POV the more simple, clear and easy it is to use the better. That's why I personally dislike overcomplicated GUI's and, IMO unnecessary detail like graphs and stats (if they must be included surely they don't need to be on the main page?).

I understand not everyone wants to, or feels confident enough to manually download and install the relevant updates that PSI highlights so naturally automatic help in that case would be welcome as long as it is reliable.

I posted about the sound bug on this forum as it appears to have been around for some time (not just in this beta). I couldn't find an official channel through which to report bugs, otherwise I would have chosen that route. I considered it important to highlight in case the bug might be causing other unwanted changes in the registry.

I certainly don't expect or need "instant gratification", I just wanted to make sure the Secunia devs were aware of this bug.......and now they are.

Keep up the good work,

kind regards,
Sopee.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Bug - Windows sound settings altered
Expert Contributor 4th Oct, 2010 21:32
Score: 2439
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 4th Oct, 2010 21:36
Hello again Sopee ,

Reporting bugs here is as good as anywhere as long as you get a "Secunia Official" such as Emil to reply ; otherwise try support@secunia.com by email .

Your posting and the "Gizmo" links were most pertinent especially as this (linked) thread was not concluded and left hanging in the Forum ; perhaps the OP got a response :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/270...

With the amount/depth of inspection the PSI makes using explorer perhaps it is surprising that there are not more bugs such as this .

Your comments re the GUI are equally relevant if you look here :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/575...

I very much concur with the OP and the one area of import in the latest Beta , for me , is the GUI and its navigation/communicability .

Like I said , your and Anupam's and @26Doplphins input would be most useful (in a new thread , this is wandering a bit - my fault) as regarding the requirements for ease of use without ignoring the more technical users' needs . We got the "secure browsing" reinstated in the Second Beta :)) Not instant , but gratifying all the same :))

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Expert Contributor 9th Oct, 2010 20:58
Anupam. Hello again.
Found the following information which you might be interested in....it's quite definitive and categorical.......:-

Support for Windows 2000 and Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) Ends on July 13, 2010
Microsoft would like to remind customers that support for two key Microsoft products, Windows 2000 and Windows XP Service Pack 2, has come to an end. This transition date marks the natural progression in the support of these products, and is in accordance with the Microsoft Support Lifecycle policy.

The Windows 2000 End-of-Support Solution Center is a starting point for planning your migration strategy from Windows 2000 to Windows 7, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2.

For users of Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2), to ensure that you will receive all important security updates for Windows you need to upgrade to Windows XP with Service Pack 3 (SP3) or later versions such as Windows 7. For more information, see Support is ending for some versions of Windows.

Excerpt from here :-
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifean46

Regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Maurice Joyce RE: Bug - Windows sound settings altered
Handling Contributor 9th Oct, 2010 21:19
Score: 11738
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
@Mogs
Litlle bit more info on your last.

1. There is no SP3 for Windows XP 64 Bit - SP 2 for this version will run on until the final "sell by date" of XP.

2. All security support for Vista WITHOUT any SP's installed ended on 13/4/2010. The MS advice is to update to Version 2.

Secunia have in part/are updating their new PSI Manual to reflect all the latest changes.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Expert Contributor 9th Oct, 2010 21:47
Thanks Maurice; and duly noted.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0

finnemich

RE: Bug - Windows sound settings altered
[+]
This reply has been minimised due to a negative Relevancy Score.

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability