xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Bring back the action icons in the expanded program view, get rid...

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI 2.0 Beta

This thread has been marked as locked.
libove Bring back the action icons in the expanded program view, get rid of the new double-click to open a window to see the action icons
Member 1st Oct, 2010 19:08
Ranking: 31
User Since: 12th Feb, 2008
System Score: N/A
A note had been posted by Secunia to my earlier thread of this same title, indicating that this would be resolved in the next beta of PSI 2. We now have that next beta, but the behavior remains sadly the same.

Please do get rid of the "double click here", and bring back the icons row.

Once we have expanded a specific program, we should not have to do anything further at all in order to see all of the information, options, corrections, etc relevant to that program.

It also might be a nice feature to pop-up a menu containing the same icons/options by right-clicking on a program line in the Scan Results summary page, without having to expand a particular program result. For some things (such as the too-frequent Flash Player updates) the most obvious action would be "Right-click -> Update now" (sigh).

Thanks,
Jay

This user no longer exists RE: Bring back the action icons in the expanded program view, get rid of the new double-click to open a window to see the action icons
Member 4th Oct, 2010 12:28
Last edited on 4th Oct, 2010 12:28 Hi,

We did add the Rescan and Ignore Program icons to the expanded results entry. Please read the changelog for further details.

Am I to understand that your suggestion is adding all the icons to the expanded entry, so one would not have to double-click to access most of the Data?

If so, please post back here with confirmation, and I will ensure that your suggestion reaches our developers.

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
libove RE: Bring back the action icons in the expanded program view, get rid of the new double-click to open a window to see the action icons
Member 4th Oct, 2010 13:00
Score: 31
User Since: 12th Feb 2008
System Score: N/A
Hi Emil,
Yes, exactly. The whole third step "double click" and pop-up window thing is undesirable to me.

The current default display is a list with one narrow horizontal bar per program, and a "plus" at the left edge to expand a specific program to view its full details.
That's very neat.

Having clicked that plus, I expect to get the full details - not yet another plus/ expand/ double-click whatever. (This also frees up the double-click action to do the same as clicking the plus, making it much easier for the user to display the details of a program, where today the user has to aim the mouse rather more exactly).

In addition to liking the simple two-step collapsed vs. expanded idea (vs. the present third step double-clicking), I also prefer to keep all functions within the current window like version 1.5 did. Opening up another window, though it can make the display a bit easier to see focused on just one program, also clutters the user's overall screen and adds yet another absolutely necessary step (closing that window) in order to get on with other business with the program.

To minimize the concern about the main window becoming harder to use because of the embedded expanded full display about any one program vs. the pop-up window, I offer two proposals:
1. Currently, when the mouse is floating over a program, that program's section of the main window has its background turn slightly grey to make it stand out. That's great. Extend that concept slightly so as to put each program in an alternating color bar so that, collapsed or expanded, the top and bottom of each program's section is vividly apparent. Still have yet a slightly different background color for whatever program the mouse is presently hovering over, or is presently selected.
2. Optionally add a configurable setting to auto-collapse all but the most recently opened full display. That is, as soon as I click on the plus or double-click (which now will just expand to the full detail display within the main window, instead of opening a pop-up window), if I've selected the advanced configuration option to do so, then any other program I've expanded to the full detail display will collapse back to the one-line summary.

Thanks,
Jay
Was this reply relevant?
+1
This user no longer exists RE: Bring back the action icons in the expanded program view, get rid of the new double-click to open a window to see the action icons
Member 4th Oct, 2010 13:39
Hi,

Thank you for the clarification. I will ensure that your comments reach our developers, and that they are made aware of the issue.

If you have any further questions or comments, please do not hesitate to post.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer