Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: net. framework

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
RAF1969 net. framework
Member 2nd Oct, 2010 15:32
Ranking: 0
User Since: 26th Jul, 2009
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 2nd Oct, 2010 15:49

senunia asking me to update microsoft framework 1x, 2x, 3x and 4x. aready updated them but senunia not reconising the updates. I have no more updates available from mircosoft updates. Please can anyone help rescan completed to no advail patch KB2416473 is on my computer

Post "RE: net. framework" has been selected as an answer.
Maurice Joyce RE: net. framework
Handling Contributor 2nd Oct, 2010 16:04
Score: 11744
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Last edited on 2nd Oct, 2010 17:11
Have U tried a reboot & a full rescan of PSI?

EDIT:
U have not mentioned which OS U are using. Dependant on that this is the patched programmes which should be showing in PSI.

WINDOWS 7

VISTA SP2

XP SP3

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+4
RAF1969 RE: net. framework
Member 2nd Oct, 2010 18:29
Score: 0
User Since: 26th Jul 2009
xp 3
the patch kb 2416473 as installed on my computer from mircosoft update page
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 2nd Oct, 2010 18:53
Last edited on 2nd Oct, 2010 18:57
Fine - but when U look at .Net Framework files in PSI do they match these?

XP SP3

If they do not something is wrong. I would suggest U manually recheck Windows Update & use the CUSTOM button.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 2nd Oct, 2010 19:10
I have done that, I am contacting mircosoft, update as said the patch as been installed no failers but when I run update again KB2416473 is still there. In add and removed kb2416473 is installed on my computer
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 2nd Oct, 2010 19:12
they all match
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 2nd Oct, 2010 19:31
OK - so where is PSI pointing to?

b]FINDING A FILE PATH

ALL PSI VERSIONS EXCEPT VERSION 2 (BETA)[/b]

To locate the exact file that the Secunia PSI has detected, use or switch to the ADVANCED interface, then :

1 Click on the + sign of the programme to "expand' it.
2 Click on Technical Details in the Toolbox to see the installation path of the detected file. (Copy (CTRL+C) & paste (CTRL+V) the Installation Path of the file back to the Forum if U are unsure what to do next.

PSI VERSION 2 (BETA)

From the DASHBOARD page click on SCAN RESULTS.

1. This will list all your programmes with a + to the left of each one.
2. Click the + sign next to the item that U want help with.
3. This will reveal the path under DETECTED INSTANCES.
4. Highlight it then copy (CTRL+C) then paste (CTRL+V) that path back to the Forum if U do not know what to do next.

Update 6 22:59 01/10/2010

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Member 2nd Oct, 2010 20:14
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspne t_wp.exe, version 1.1.4322.2470
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspn et_wp.exe, version 2.0.50727.3618
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.0\Windows Communication Foundation\SMSvcHost.exe, version 3.0.4506.2152
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\SMSv cHost.exe, version 4.0.30319.1

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 on Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 x86 (KB2416473)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
osgood74 RE: net. framework
Member 2nd Oct, 2010 20:31
User Since: 21st Jun 2009
I have Vista Prem. Home Ed. SP2 and am having the same exact problem. Very unsettling.

I am much too reluctant to go into the "Advanced Mode" in view of the frightening pop-up I see from Secunia when I click on it out of sheer curiosity.

I could really use some advice please on this matter. What should I, a Vista SP2 user do? When I click on the PSI "solution" icon Microsoft instantly pops up and tells me no new updates are necessary.

Which Secunia application is better for a casual (not a gamer or blogger) home user like myself - OSI or PSI? I wish to make sure that I am using the proper application because I am no techie. Far from it.

Did the original poster get his problem resolved? I don't see anything indicating that he/she did. That worries me.

Thanks in advance!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Ted Allen RE: net. framework
Member 2nd Oct, 2010 20:39
User Since: 21st Dec 2009
I am using OS XP SP3 and cannot update net.framework 1x,2x,3x,or4x.Have tried reboot,and nothing works.Help! Ted
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 2nd Oct, 2010 20:49
If any Secunia moderators/advisors/contributors review and advise scared and rattled posters (like myself) with problems and serious questions, please do not pass me by - I really need your answers to my above questions.

I promise not to be a pest, only want to be fully informed and use the correct security methods, etc.

Thank you Secunia for all that you do. YOU ROCK!

[b]:-)[b]
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 2nd Oct, 2010 23:15
@RAF1969

The paths U have given me are correct. My XP SP3 test PC has exactly that information & is showing as patched. Leave this thread open - after your next complete PC shut down does this still show on the next boot?

@Ted Allen

Sadly no two problems are exactly the same. U have given very little detail - have U checked the paths? Are they the same as @RAF1969.

@Osgood74

I would advise U start your own thread. U are using Vista which differs from XP in my ways.

I, or someone else will give U confidence to use the advanced mode & attempt to solve any issues U have. When opening the thread give details of your OS/PSI version in use & explain U need help with .Net & using the advanced mode. If around I will respond & get the ball rolling.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Member 3rd Oct, 2010 09:08
yes, still the same today, as yesterday
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 3rd Oct, 2010 09:30
What version of PSI are U using?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Oct, 2010 12:46
2 beta
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: net. framework
Expert Contributor 3rd Oct, 2010 18:14
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 3rd Oct, 2010 18:18
Hello ,

I can confirm the same data as RAF1969 is displayed by the PSI 2.0 Beta on my XP - with the exception of .Net 4.0 which I do not have loaded atm. - as programmes patched/up to date .

KB2416473 is displayed in Add/Remove and is not re-offered by M$updates .

The above is confirmed by Belarc*** with the security hotfix KB's of 30/09/2010 showing as loaded and locked .

There is currently no obvious reporting (in a websearch) of a problem of this KB being re-offered , as is usually the case when similar problems have occurred in the past .

***Belarc :-

http://belarc.com/free_download.html

Hope this is helpful .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
smurphdude RE: net. framework
Contributor 3rd Oct, 2010 18:29
Score: 107
User Since: 13th Aug 2010
System Score: 100%
I had the same issue this morning, run MS update, rebooted and needed to do a full rescan for Secunia to recognise all of the patches. Current beta 2
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 3rd Oct, 2010 19:18
@RAF1969

As U can see many using XP have managed to successfully update .NET.

There are ongoing problems with some XP users with PSI resulting in many being advised to revert back to version 1.5.0.1.

I notice there is also another thread where some are having similar issues.

From the information U have given me, which was confirmed by Anthony, I believe U are secure but rightly U want confirmation from PSI/Secunia.

My advice is to sit tight & wait for a Secunia response tomorrow - there may be an adjustment needed by them.

If U want to revert back in an effort to get a secure reading the download link is here:

ftp://ftp.secunia.com/PSISetup1501.exe

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+4
Member 3rd Oct, 2010 19:42
This is my computer info. but I have no clue at all if this is what you wanted to know or not - pls let me know - probably TMI:

"Belarc Advisor:

System Security Status

CIS Benchmark Score

Available only for Windows 2000, XP Pro, and 2003

Virus Protection (nod32 v.4.2.6)

Up-to-date

Microsoft Security Updates

Up-to-date

Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2 (build 6002)
Compaq-Presario
Enclosure Type: Desktop
2.70 gigahertz AMD Athlon LE-
64-bit ready

Using PSI 1.5.0.2 (Is this the latest version? How do I keep informed as to when it needs to updated or upgraded? Mucho important.)"

I thought my `puter was 32 bit whatever that means. Don't know what Belarc means by 64 bit ready. LOL, don't know A LOT. {{looking embarrassed}}

After reading and re-reading all the posts on this thread (and understanding about 0.001 of it) I just restarted my `puter and rescanned it with my PSI. Guess what? Everything is Hunky Dory. I passed.

This rattles me even more than failing it initially. I want to know why I failed it in the first place. I actually need to know and fully understand for future reference. Also, to prevent anxiety attacks and heart attacks. Don't think I need to continue running here all the time if I am fully enlightened.

Does this make sense? Hope so.

Awaiting your acknowledgement and answers VERY, VERY GRATEFULLY,

osgood
Was this reply relevant?
+0
osgood74 ADDENDUM RE: net. framework
Member 3rd Oct, 2010 19:55
How and where in this site can I sign up/register for any updates, notices or newsletters, etc. from Secunia please?

Thank you again. Appreciate it.

osgood

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 3rd Oct, 2010 20:41
Last edited on 3rd Oct, 2010 20:49
Hello Osgood ,

Pleased to here that you are back to 100% - is that in the Advanced mode of the PSI ??

With M$ updates the trick is to update , reboot and full scan . Repeat as many times as necessary until M$ says it has nothing for you and repeat again . Sometimes a complete shutdown and restart is better than a reboot .

To get your confidence up you need to learn what you are doing and why it it works and how important different things are .

Here are my standard tips for using the PSI in "Advanced" mode - a major requirement to build your confidence - plenty of people here to help you :))) :-

Here you go :-

The key to finding the cause of any problem(s) is to get the "installation path" (step 5 below) and then locate and open the folder causing the problem using the "open folder" link in the "toolbox" (step seven below).

So : here is some advice for using the PSI in "advanced" mode , it is not difficult to use and will help you greatly :-

You need to get the information using the advanced mode of the PSI - use the link in the top right corner of any PSI page .

It would be a shame not to try the "advanced" mode ; so here are some tips for "looking around" :-

Click on each/all the tabs and there is plenty of written advice about what each tab contains .

If a "problem" shows in the "insecure" or "end of life" tabs , then to help resolve any problem , here are some instructions to help you first of all get the best out of PSI :-

1)use PSI in "advanced" mode ;
2)in the "settings" tab make sure that the box in the first/upper section is NOT ticked in order to have the maximum info available ;
3)tell us in which "tab(s)" your problem programme is located ;
4)in that tab , click on the + in the box at the left end of the programme , the page will expand ;
5)in the expanded page , tell us what is written in the "installation path" ;
6)in the "toolbox" section , lower down , the link "technical details" should confirm the installation path details ;
7)click on the link "open folder" and you will see more details concerning the location of the "problem" .

Posting these details will help the Forum help you , if/when you have a problem .

Let us know what you find and how you go .

Take care

Anthony

EDIT 1 : Here are the FAQ's for the PSI , again , knowledge is power :)) :-

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

EDIT 2: Version 1.5.0.2 is the latest stable version of the PSI , stick with it and get used to it for now . Version 2 will be out soon , but it still needs the same basic understanding . You wil get an update via an Email or it will be in big print here in the Forum and/or the version N displayed in the boyttom right corner of any PSI page will announce an update .

EDIT 3 : If you sign in and go to your profile (in the upper left hand column of this page ) you will find lots of options for "advice" - some of it may be more than you want or need !!

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
osgood74 Thank you Maurice RE: net. framework
Member 3rd Oct, 2010 21:38
I'm so glad you put everything in "idiot-proof instructions for dummies" - appreciate that immensely.

I will read and study all this very carefully before I dare pussyfoot anywhere near the Advanced Mode. Of course if Secunia every takes down the "big scary" skull and crossbones popup one gets upon clicking on the link for it then I won't be scared to death of going anywhere near it. I may be dumb but I ain't stupid, heh. ;-)

To answer your question of did I pass in the Advanced Mode. Nope, no way.

My 2 questions to you are: 1) Should I pursue that - must I? 2) Going forward, should I scan in Regular mode or always (after learning how) in Advanced mode?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 3rd Oct, 2010 21:59

Hey Osggod , careful with the "dummy" stuff ; i wrote my tips so I could understand them and in similar fashion to the way people with technical knowledge explain things to me :)))

The Beta versions of 2.0 do not have a simple/regular mode but have a lot of "auto-updating to facilitate IT life ; we all agree the simple/advanced scare warning is too off putting and really is no longer needed with all the experience and expertise on "patching" that is accumulating here and there .

So yes you do need to become an "advanced" user - forewarned is forearmed and plenty of people to help you load and aim . Advanced will have a real soothing affect on your paranoia (in the medium term :))

So from now on you run - including scanning - in "Advanced" mode ; it might scare the pants off you , but it cannot harm you : you have complete control and are master of your destiny .

As a teenage webmaster might put it "Go for it":))

If you find any problems with which you need help , start a new thread , don't come back here unless it is the .Net problem that has re-occurred .

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 4th Oct, 2010 09:23
It all started before I upgraded to, 2 beta with 1.5.0.2
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 4th Oct, 2010 09:34
@RAF1969

As my last post suggests U could revert to an earlier version. Your thread has sadly been hi jacked & is now way off topic but Secunia Officials are active & may well respond with their expert input.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
This user no longer exists RE: net. framework
Member 4th Oct, 2010 10:09
Hi Everybody,

A brief note: It is usually a good idea to start your own, new thread, if you have an issue that is not exactly like the Original Poster's.
However, I will address each problem in detail, though I would ask other posters to start their own threads if the fixes I suggest here don't help.

on 2nd Oct, 2010 15:32, RAF1969 wrote:
senunia asking me to update microsoft framework 1x, 2x, 3x and 4x. aready updated them but senunia not reconising the updates. I have no more updates available from mircosoft updates. Please can anyone help rescan completed to no advail patch KB2416473 is on my computer

Most Microsoft Updates do not "kick in" until after a reboot. Try following this procedure:

1) Check Microsoft Update, and install all critical patches
2) Reboot
3) Repeat step 1, and if any patches were installed during this step, repeat step 2
4) Run a full rescan with the PSI.

This should fix all warnings in the PSI about Insecure Microsoft Products.

on 2nd Oct, 2010 20:31, osgood74 wrote:

I am much too reluctant to go into the "Advanced Mode" in view of the frightening pop-up I see from Secunia when I click on it out of sheer curiosity.

This warning is displayed because the Advanced Interface can be confusing to some users (information overload). However, it is easy to revert back to Simpe mode, and it should not be possible to do any harm simply from examining the Advanced Mode.

I could really use some advice please on this matter. What should I, a Vista SP2 user do? When I click on the PSI "solution" icon Microsoft instantly pops up and tells me no new updates are necessary.

Please try following the procedure outlined earlier in this post. Has this resolved the issue?

Which Secunia application is better for a casual (not a gamer or blogger) home user like myself - OSI or PSI? I wish to make sure that I am using the proper application because I am no techie. Far from it.

Both the PSI and OSI are aimed at home users. All the features in both applications are there to make patching, and staying secure, easier for the home user.

However, there are some differences between the applications.
The OSI Java based, and runs only from the browser - The PSI is a desktop application
The OSI only scans a limited range of programs - The PSI tries to detect and patch as many applications as at all possible.

Futhermore, the Beta versions of the PSI 2.0 have introduced a new feature: Auto-Updating. That is, getting from Insecure to Patched without any user interaction! You can learn more about the Beta from the thread at the top of the forum (Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta thread).

on 3rd Oct, 2010 19:55, osgood74 wrote:
How and where in this site can I sign up/register for any updates, notices or newsletters, etc. from Secunia please?

You can sign up, free of charge, to our OSI reminder service. However, please not that this service only covers applications supported by the OSI. Optionally, simply scanning with the PSI will let you know if Secunia rules have been updated for an application you have installed.

You can sign up to the OSI reminder service here:
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online/r...

These are the applications covered by the OSI:
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online/p...

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 4th Oct, 2010 10:35
Emil,
Could I ask U to look at @RAF1969 posts. He has rebooted numerous times & shut down but the issue persists.

I believe he is secure - could this be the XP/PSI bug or has that been fixed?

Most of the reply concentrates on Osgood74 who despite my request to create his own thread has completely hi-jacked this one which is now way off topic.

My advice to @RAF1969 is to revert back & try a rescan - is that the way forward?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 4th Oct, 2010 14:11
gone back to 1.5.0.0 still the same prob. switch off computer then booted up again , rescaned same prob
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: net. framework
Member 4th Oct, 2010 14:36
Last edited on 4th Oct, 2010 14:39 Hi,

@RAF1969
It seems that you have an error with your Microsoft Update system.

One thing you can try to correct the error is to go to the Control Panel, click "Show Updates, find the KB number that refuses to be properly detected, uninstall it, reboot, and try deploying it again.

Please also verify that you have installed the Microsoft Update ActiveX Control. To check this, go to this site and install any offered extension: http://update.microsoft.com/

hope this helps.

EDIT:

After searching for the KB number you are having problems with, I've noted that several other Windows users have been having trouble getting the OS to recognise the patch.

Alternatively, try manually installing the patch. You can find it here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Oct, 2010 15:39
Done all you have asked, nothing is working
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ReneMichaels RE: net. framework
Member 4th Oct, 2010 17:23
User Since: 6th Sep 2010
I have a similar/same issue. I ran the patches for 1.x, 2.x, 3. and 4.x my PSI shows 1.x and 2.x patched HOWEVER, 3.x and 4.x still remain.

If I try to download the patches, my Windows Update window shows that Windows is up to date.

I've tried several times and rebooted and it still comes up. I even reinstalled PSI. Below is the detailed info...

I am running Windows Vista Home Basic (6.0.6002) w/service pack 2

The .NET Framework 3.x is in this location:
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.0\Windows Communication Foundation

The .NET Framework 4.x is in this location:
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 4th Oct, 2010 19:42
@RAF1969

Sadly it appears this thread has got another hi-jacker on board. Have U tried this fix?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2431806/en-us

My mailbox is overloaded with updates from hi-jackers & edits so I am switching off. If the fix does not work & U wish to continue I would advise U lock (Accept) this thread and create a new one.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Expert Contributor 4th Oct, 2010 20:13

@ReneMichaels ,

Your problem is not the same ; please create your own thread (see listing in upper left column on this page) and repost there .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer