Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Install says success but still shown as needing to be installed

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Microsoft
And, this specific program:
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
GrouchyGaijin Install says success but still shown as needing to be installed
Member 5th Oct, 2010 23:20
Ranking: 3
User Since: 3rd Jan, 2010
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 5th Oct, 2010 23:21

I'm running Windows XP Pro SP3.
Add remove programs shows:

.Net Framework 2.0 SP2
.Net Framework 3.0 SP2
.Net Framework 3.5 SP1

Secunia lists:

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.x 2.0.50727.3614 and
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.x 3.0.4506.2152 as insecure.

Windows update shows a high priority update for:

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2418241)
Download size: 0 KB , 0 minutes (Downloaded; ready to install)

I've tried to install this update several times. Each time Windows update reports the installation was successful, however the next time I run Windows update I'm told I still need to install this update.

Any ideas on how I can install this and if this will solve the problem that Secunia is reporting?

Thank you.

John

This user no longer exists RE: Install says success but still shown as needing to be installed
Member 6th Oct, 2010 09:16
Last edited on 6th Oct, 2010 09:16 Hi,

Some Microsoft Updates only "kick in" after a reboot.
Therefore, I suggest that you follow this prodecure when updating MS applications:

1) Check Microsoft Update, install all available patches
2) Reboot
3) Repeat step 1, and repeat step 2 if anything was installed at this step.
4) Run a full rescan with the PSI.

Has this resolved the issue?

If not, you are experiencing a recent issue with the .NET updates. I suggest you try manually installing this patch:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx... , rebooting and scanning again.

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
GrouchyGaijin RE: Install says success but still shown as needing to be installed
Member 6th Oct, 2010 12:41
Score: 3
User Since: 3rd Jan 2010
Last edited on 6th Oct, 2010 12:42
I downloaded the file for x386 architecture and installed it. Then rebooted and rescanned. Now I have four programs listed as insecure. In addition to .Net 2.0 and 3.0 Adobe Air and Acrobat 9 are listed. (The link to the update for Acrobat 9 shows as invalid.)

Windows update still shows that I need to install the update for Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2418241)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
TiredofThis RE: Install says success but still shown as needing to be installed
Member 6th Oct, 2010 13:21
Score: 0
User Since: 6th Oct 2010
I'm getting these same messages. I'm running Vista, SP2. I've checked windows update and everything is up to date. I've rebooted and rescanned PSI and still getting the errors. Thanks.

Mary
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Install says success but still shown as needing to be installed
Member 6th Oct, 2010 15:01
Hi,

If you manually installed the patch I linked above, and retry the update procedure I outlined, are you still shown as Insecure?

If you are having problems with updating Adobe Air + Acrobat, I suggest you open a new thread, so the issue can be handled without hijacking this thread.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
GrouchyGaijin RE: Install says success but still shown as needing to be installed
Member 6th Oct, 2010 16:21
If you manually installed the patch I linked above, and retry the update procedure I outlined, are you still shown as Insecure?

Yes

I was able to update Adobe Air and Acrobat. However the original problem still remains.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Install says success but still shown as needing to be installed
Expert Contributor 6th Oct, 2010 17:20
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

@Tired of this ,

Hello Mary ,

You are on an XP thread and it does not apply to your Vista OS .

Please read this (locked) thread and see if it helps . If it does not , open your own thread as Rene did :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/578...

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Anthony Wells RE: Install says success but still shown as needing to be installed
Expert Contributor 6th Oct, 2010 17:26

@GrouchyGaijin ,

Emil may have finished for the day ; so whilst you are waiting for him to return (tomorrow ?) you might wish to see what Belarc has to say about the state of your M$ security fixes :-

http://belarc.com/free_download.html

Hope this helps .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 6th Oct, 2010 18:13
@Anthony,

Thanks for the great link.

Belarc lists KB2418241 on 10/5/2010 as a security hotFix that fails verification (a security vulnerability)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 6th Oct, 2010 18:31
Last edited on 6th Oct, 2010 19:14
John ,

That helps explain why M$ update keeps on reoffering the KB 2418241 security hotfix at M$ updates .

There is something on the web I saw the other day - an M$ website I seem to remember - explaining how to handle the non-validation ; see if you can find it with a websearch - I'm rather caught up atm .

BTW , AFAIK the 0 bytes stuff of the download is "normal" until the installation moves the files from the initial download site , so should not be an issue ; having said that who knows with windows .

Will check back when I can .

Anthony

EDIT : see if this helps you with the links Woody gives you :-

http://www.askwoody.com/tag/kb-2418241/

I am not suggesting you should not still look for the M website as well ***.

The described method of stopping M$updates offering the KB will also calm down the PSI , Belarc will remain unconvinced .

EDIT 2 : ***here's something :-

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2431806/

Technically this applies to Windows Server 2003 and XP Pro x64 so look and understand before you move on to any action .

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 6th Oct, 2010 19:32
@Anthony

Thank you for the great links. It does seem that I'm OK then since this is not a web server.

(Ubuntu is more attractive every day.)
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Expert Contributor 6th Oct, 2010 20:09

Nothing is ever certain with .Net , probability is high for your security with your system . Keep your eyes and ears open for a real solution , other than an uninstall/clean reinstall via Add/Remove . That has worked for me in the past , when I had a slow build up of non validating non-sticky KB's .

Patch Tuesday looms ; see you around ;))

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer