Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: For Mogs -Re your clips index

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Open Discussions

This thread has been marked as locked.
Anthony Wells For Mogs -Re your clips index
Expert Contributor 7th Oct, 2010 14:30
Ranking: 2414
User Since: 19th Dec, 2007
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 7th Oct, 2010 14:33

Hey Mogs ,

Don't know if you have it in mind but if , after you post all your new daily Clips ,you then update your index with a new post immediately - but only say once a day (or maybe only update both just twice a week) - then your index thread will stay tagged to the Clips thread , provided some lunatic (no names , no pack drill) jumps in with a useless post ; like I was going to do , but opened here instead .

Your index in both title and "code" is rather too cryptic - even for me :)) Some sort of tech level indication might also be worth looking at .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela

mogs RE: For Mogs -Re your clips index
Expert Contributor 7th Oct, 2010 15:15
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Hi Anthony !
i've been looking at it from the perspective of trying to keep the INDEX
on the current page. Sought advice 'bout making it "Sticky: pinning it :
but it's a no no...as it would be deemed special handling.
What I'm gonna try is ; whenever the INDEX reaches somewhere near the bottom; is to post to thread then; with whatever new one transpires at that time.
It's only a pity that the thread doesn't take a new post position when it is only edited; else I
could just keep editing/adding to the original post.
As you say tho' it depends on nobody else adding to it...
it could quickly end up in disarray.
I'm hoping my bold capitalled request will do the trick, but I think I'll add it to each; rather than just the initial index.
I usually draw inspiration for the title heading from the original text: not an absolute rule tho':
you find them too cryptic ? I'll bear it in mind.
By code, you mean INFO/UPDATE/ALERT etc.? I thought that was quite clear...could you give me a suggestion as to what you'd prefer please ?

Thanks....Twangy, Briny, Untuned...but definately not Big Bass Drum ?! Ha!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: For Mogs -Re your clips index
Expert Contributor 7th Oct, 2010 17:19
Score: 2414
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Mogs ,

Bit busy will get back , but you have just updated your index with one link , presumably you will add more to the same by editing , if not too many posts will kill the idea . I would still do block updates of both so the threads tag each other - being separated is still confusing . Doesn't matter if you are not on the front page everyday , you'll be well visible enuff if you go in every two days or longer .

Drop the word/code INFO it doesn't add anything and is after almost every Clip in the index . You could expand the title :eg: Chrome Dev Browser updated 7/10/10 and add a suffix or code like simple or advanced .

Amazon threat or Fake Warnings don't say anything to me without further qualification ; same for Adobe Patch/INFO and Fix Vista/INFO . What info , background ?? essential reading ?? techy or simple etc ?? Security -high risk and to whom ?? Alert for who ??

Not sure the product promotion offers much unless it is new or relatively unknown like Puran .

Gotta go .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 7th Oct, 2010 18:00
Last edited on 7th Oct, 2010 18:10
Thanks Anthony....points assimulated....yeah; expanding the title/heading would probably be of more use.....negate all your question marks ?!!!
Hopefully all the posts are informative in some way or another....so I'll drop that INFO status as you suggest.......maybe just use the ALERT to indicate some measure of importance. I don't think I wanna discriminate/differentiate 'tween Simple/Advanced posts/readers....I don't want some users fearing to read, and other angels going on long walkies uneccessarily !!!
I'd like to try to keep the INDEX on the same page as the CClips thread tho'.....usually front page....rather than someone exclaiming; ( in a balloon haps silently!); later, after much reading and scrolling.." Ah....here's the flippin' INDEX !!!"

Take care.......

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 7th Oct, 2010 18:19

That's my point Mogs ; update the CLIP thread only when you have 5,6 or more items , be selective . You are not trying to give the reader the first news , it's already been posted elsewhere in the IT world or PSI'd . You are trying to reach the slowcoaches and the over timid in probably 50+% of the cases .

EG: Your Dev Chrome Clip , my Dev auto/silent updates , the stable 6 and Beta 7 users are the real target , there is no rush .

If you do then do the INDEX thread immediately after with a bit of luck it will be right above Clips if you prepare it/them in Word Pad or something .Gives you more time to get it right - correctness not speedness . I wait till there are several new clips before i go to your thread , otherwise it takes up too much time ; and I'm only doing it that often/much to try to help you .

Off I go .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 7th Oct, 2010 19:47
All your comment most helpful/food for thought Anthony...I'll certainly take heed, and try to slow down my natural inclinations perhaps !! Selectivity and correctness....I may even become very formal or even refined !! No vestiges of the oldest rocker apparent ?! Ha!
The other half of me wasn't ever particularly rebellious nor istitutionalized......Dad was much more type-cast perhaps....tho' as far as I know, never a naked civil servant !!!
Security needn't be overly cryptic if one can find the secret passages !!
Where's my flamin' candle ?!
I'm rarely outspoken, contentious nor controversial !
Did I ever tell you, I didn't follow in his footsteps ? I passed the exam; put my then, best suit on; but they said they thought I wouldn't fit in !!!
Life's full of irony.
Sorry if I've drifted off thread here; and seriously will consider all your import. Thanks for listening as well.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 9th Oct, 2010 10:07
Last edited on 9th Oct, 2010 10:19
Hi Mogs ,

The last update and tagging together of the Index and Clips makes sense to me as they ride the threads this very minute :))

The index info is very refined , but you could be less parsimonious for the sake of clarity to the rough crowd :eg : "Preview of M$ Patch Tuesday" as Adobe have adopted one or "Gmail updates security checks" .

Busy day , the Black bulls (and their sisters) are in the streets of the village today - and all week ; our annual Fête :))) YeeHa !! as Fred would likely say .

Take care

Anthony

PS : your prose reminded me of my London days of long hair , pinstripes , platform boots and Paisley ties on pastel shirts - rockin' the transnationals all over the world - flying Zeppelins with Lucy and not accepting the status quo .

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 9th Oct, 2010 12:10
Good morning Anthony.
I'll try not to be too frugal with the headers/description....some parsons might even be quite poetic.....not too flowery for the saw ?!!
I'm gonna continue to post the clips as they arise during the course of the day; if any; and then try to marry the thread with the INDEX each night when I update it.....see how it works out.
I'm hoping for a reasonably peaceful Saturday....not that I want to get to a match anywhere......the leaves on the trees are rustling in the Autumn breeze....my pen is seemingly redundant, not shaping them !!! Do they have bull runs in France then ?!
Take care.............

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability