Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Symantec Windows LiveUpdate 2.x

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Symantec
And, this specific program:
Symantec Windows LiveUpdate 2.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
FHD52 Symantec Windows LiveUpdate 2.x
Member 8th Oct, 2010 20:30
Ranking: 0
User Since: 15th Sep, 2010
System Score: N/A
Hello everybody,

My Secunia Personal Software Inspector tells me, that I have to update Symantec Windows LiveUpdate 2.x. It's to find in C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\LUALL.EXE.
I don't understand why we have this program on our computer and what it has to do with Windows. I thought that Symantec was a security/antivirus program, but we already have McAfee, which does not work effectively in combination with another security/antivirus program. We also don't use Windows Live (for Messenger-Hotmail-Photos and-so-on). So I think, that I have to delete Symantec Windows LiveUpdate, but my question is:
Can I do this safely, without damaging something from Windows (whatever this may be)?
And do I have to delete Windows Live then too, if it is on our computer, and where can I find this? I can not find it.

I hope that someone can help me: we have Microsoft Windows XP, Version 5.1 - Media Center Edition - Version 2002 - Service Pack 3 / 32-bits.

With kindly regards (and sorry for my bad English),
FHD

ddmarshall RE: Symantec Windows LiveUpdate 2.x
Dedicated Contributor 8th Oct, 2010 21:37
Score: 1205
User Since: 8th Nov 2008
System Score: 98%
This is not connected to Windows Live; so you do not have to worry about that.

You are right that this is related to the Norton antivirus program. Have you ever run any Norton products on your system or was a Norton antivirus preinstalled on the computer by the manufacturer?

Symantec provide a program to remove their software if you cannot find anything in Add/Remove Programs or uninstall does not work.

http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_ty...

--
This answer is provided “as-is.” You bear the risk of using it.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
FHDS-52 [b]RE: Symantec Windows LiveUpdate 2.x[/b]
Member 9th Oct, 2010 04:28
Score: 0
User Since: 9th Oct 2010
Thank you very much for your answer and your time. I am the same person as the first one above, but I had problems with logging in, so I had to make another password and user name.
It is possible that the shop-assistant or our friend, who has helped us in the past by installing all the software on our new computer, also has installed Norton Symantec. I don't know it no longer.
I've tried to delete Symantec Windows LiveUpdate 2.x from our computer, but then the following warning appeared: If you delete this file, it is possible that some programs don't work any longer.
I have looked into the Symantec-folder, but I don't know the names that I saw there at all, like: 1.Settings.Default, ALUNOTIFY, AUPDATE, AUPDATE, LSETUP, LUALL, LuComServer, LuComServerPS.DLL, ludirloc and so on.
Can I ignore the warning and try to delete Symantec?

With kindly regards,
FHD52

--
I want appended to every thread or post I create.
FHDS-52
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ddmarshall RE: Symantec Windows LiveUpdate 2.x
Dedicated Contributor 9th Oct, 2010 14:44
Score: 1205
User Since: 8th Nov 2008
System Score: 98%
Download and run the Norton Removal Tool from this website (it's the fifth item):

http://us.norton.com/support/partner_download.jsp?...

If that does not remove it, you should only try to uninstall it using the Control Panel and Add/Remove Programs. I'm sorry I don't know the Dutch for this.

If you cannot do that, ask your friend who set up the computer to check whether LiveUpdate is running before you delete the files. If it is running, deleting the files may cause problems.

--
This answer is provided “as-is.” You bear the risk of using it.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
FHDS-52 [b]RE: Symantec Windows LiveUpdate 2.x[/b]
Member 9th Oct, 2010 17:03
Score: 0
User Since: 9th Oct 2010
Thank you very much for your advice again. It doesn't matter if you don't know the Dutch words. My English is not really perfect, I know, but I understand very well what you mean :-). I will follow your advice: it seems to be the best solution for me, thank you.

With friendly regards,
FHD52

--
I want appended to every thread or post I create.
FHDS-52
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability