Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Recent Updates and Slow Down of CPU System Idle Process

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
crobert1 Recent Updates and Slow Down of CPU System Idle Process
Member 12th Oct, 2010 03:28
Ranking: 0
User Since: 12th Oct, 2010
System Score: N/A
1) Unable to update MDAC 2.x
2) 4 End of Life Programs (Cyberlink Power DVD 5.x, Intel Proset Wireless Software 9.x, Macromedia Flash Player 5.x, Macromedia Flash Player 7.x)

I have not in the last 7 months ever been able to successfully download updates for MDAC. Is this going to cause a problem for me?

I have recently installed various optional MS updates and uninstalled and installed Adobe Flash software because it was out of date and now my CPU is always operating at between 70 and 100% usage on System Idle Process. The computer is frustratingly slow and I don't know what of any of the processes I did recently changed my situation. Do I have a virus? What do I do? Ugh....Please help!!!

TiMow RE: Recent Updates and Slow Down of CPU System Idle Process
Dedicated Contributor 12th Oct, 2010 08:37
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
Always good to include details of Windows OS and PSI version - as there are differences in operation between 1.5.0.2 and 2. beta.

The following relates to my set up of XP and PSI 1.5.0.2. Because of continental time differences I am including some info. which may or may not be relevant.

To solve problems, use PSI in Advanced (top right of PSI window) and include full version numbers and installation paths in subsequent replies. Click [+] on l.h.s. of program listing and click Tech. Details icon; highlight, copy (Ctrl+C) and paste (Ctrl+V).

1) MDAC - I have in patched v.2.81.1132.0 (file location: C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\ado\msadox.dll ), which is current and correct; and v.2.81.1117.0 (file location: C:\i386\msadox.dll ), which is insecure.
If you have similar insecure version and file location you can create an ignore rule as follows:

[C:\i386\ refers to Default Windows restore/backup folder, whose contents receive no exposure, and therefore do not pose a threat - although PSI still detects them].

In PSI Advanced, go to Settings tab; scroll down to bottom line, where it is written "Secunia PSI Status:" - if this is followed by: "Suggested Ignore Rule 1", click on the "1"; otherwise you can create it manually as follows:

Click on Create Ignore Rule ; then for Rule name type (or copy and paste) the following: Default Windows restore/backup folder
and for rule, type this: C:\i386\
and finally click Save Ignore Rule.

MDAC is an "umbrella" program for some other apps. By clearing the reporting of this insecurity, may well remove some of the others (possibly Macromedia flash).

Macromedia is now Adobe (for flash) - any old insecure versions can be cleared out by running Flash Uninstall

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

Once downloaded, but before running, close all programs that use flash - browsers, messenger and PSI (right click tray icon to exit fully).

Re-download and install flash 2 times
In IE for ActiveX and another browser for NPAPI.

For your other insecurities, I have no experience of, and am unable to help.

I tend not to download M$ optional programs unless I believe I really need them, but would be surprised if they were causing you problems; high CPU usage (I too suffer from this from time to time) could be caused by a variety of reasons, but you may need to run a clean-up utility, which may help; concerns about a possible virus should be addressed by running a scan with your anti-virus software or other 3rd party program - other members may better advise.

TiMow

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
This user no longer exists RE: Recent Updates and Slow Down of CPU System Idle Process
Member 12th Oct, 2010 08:56
Hi,

If you suspect your system is infected, I suggest you contact a vendor who creates Anti-Virus products. The Secunia PSI is not an anti-viral program, and will not detect if anything is tampering with it.

As for MDAC 2.x, please try applying this patch manually: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx...
Rebooting, and then checking Microsoft Update again.

Has this resolved the problem?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: Recent Updates and Slow Down of CPU System Idle Process
Expert Contributor 12th Oct, 2010 08:59
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Hello.
If you're carrying lots of clutter/junk and out of date software, your pc is very likely to be slow. Do you use CCleaner and or Revouninstaller ......carry out a weekly maintenance routine ? Your Registry is likely bogged down; and when did you last do a Defrag of the disc ?
Is your Security up to date, and when did you last run a scan ?

End of life, means that the vendor has ceased support for the product.

See this link regarding Cyberlink Power DVD http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/570...

Latest thread for Intel Proset http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/881...

Updating of Flash....go to the following thread....scroll to Maurice Joyce's third post.
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/570...

Regarding MDAC....Here is a Wikipedia description.....do you need it ?

Microsoft Data Access Components (commonly abbreviated MDAC; also known as Windows DAC) is a framework of interrelated Microsoft technologies that allows programmers a uniform and comprehensive way of developing applications that can access almost any data store. Its components include: ActiveX Data Objects (ADO), OLE DB, and Open Database Connectivity (ODBC). There have been several deprecated components as well, such as the Microsoft Jet Database Engine, MSDASQL (the OLE DB provider for ODBC), and Remote Data Services (RDS). Some components have also become obsolete, such as the former Data Access Objects API and Remote Data Objects.
The first version of MDAC was released in August 1996. At that time Microsoft stated MDAC was more a concept than a stand-alone program and had no widespread distribution method. Later Microsoft released upgrades to MDAC as web-based redistributable packages. Eventually, later versions were integrated with Microsoft Windows and Internet Explorer, and in MDAC 2.8 SP1 they ceased offering MDAC as a redistributable package.
Throughout its history MDAC has been the subject of several security flaws, which led to attacks such as an escalated privileges attack, although the vulnerabilities were generally fixed in later versions and fairly promptly. The current version is 2.8 service pack 1, but the product has had many different versions and many of its components have been deprecated and replaced by newer Microsoft technologies. MDAC is now known as Windows DAC in Windows Vista.

What is your Operating System ? What version of psi are you running ?
What is the file path to the vulnerability ?
Tho' you update......old files/versions often get left behind and Secunia continues to detect even if sill in the Recycle bin.
If using psi 1.5 you will gain more info with the Advanced interface....see Simple/Advanced top right of the psi panel.
Click on the +sign alongside an entry and it will expand to reveal the file path...another click on Tech Details and it will confirm it.
Post that info together with all other info back to the forum whenever you reply.
Hope this is of some help.........regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
TiMow RE: Recent Updates and Slow Down of CPU System Idle Process
Dedicated Contributor 12th Oct, 2010 13:37
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
Re. Flash:
The thread link provided by @mogs (above) to view the reply by @Maurice Joyce, contains further flash download links, which have since changed from the date that this reply was originally posted. If you need, or choose to review this thread, then be aware of the following:

- the filehippo (a trusted source for myself and other forum contributors) flash download links will now take you to the latest flash beta download (Flash Player 10.2.161.23 Beta 2) - which you may not require at this point; and:

- the adobe.com links (for some reason) now give 404 Not Found error.

If you wish to download stable flash from filehippo, or from Adobe, then the following links now apply:

Using and for IE:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_ie/8...
or
http://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flashplayer/curren...

and another browser (Firefox, Chrome, etc):

http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_fire...
or
http://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flashplayer/curren...

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
ddmarshall RE: Recent Updates and Slow Down of CPU System Idle Process
Dedicated Contributor 12th Oct, 2010 18:31
Score: 1198
User Since: 8th Nov 2008
System Score: 98%
The System Idle Process is what Windows does when it has no other work to do. So it is usually a good thing that it is high.

For the Intel software, check your computer manufacturer's support website for updates or use the checking tool on the Intel website: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx

The old Flash Players are probably in unusual places. Post the installation paths for advice.

You will have to find a replacement for the Cyberlink program if it worries you.

From the software you have installed, I guess this computer is several years old. If you have installed any recent software, especially anti-virus programs, it will probably have much higher resource requirements. The performance of older computers can often be transformed by installing additional memory costing $20 to $50. You can use the Crucial scanner to find out what can be fitted in your computer. http://www.crucial.com/

--
This answer is provided “as-is.” You bear the risk of using it.
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability