Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Microsoft Power Point

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Microsoft
And, this specific program:
Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2003

This thread has been marked as resolved.
Nikilet Microsoft Power Point
Member 15th Oct, 2010 05:43
Ranking: 7
User Since: 15th Jul, 2008
System Score: N/A
I am starting a new post because I took care of the Adobe Shockwave Player issue.

Why does PSI still show Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2003, located at C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\PowerPoint Viewer\PPTVIEW.EXE as end-of-life.

I clicked the Download Solution and installed the 2007 Power Point Viewer and that is what shows in my Vista "Uninstall or Change a Program" section.

I would appreciate some input on how to get rid of this.

Post "RE: Microsoft Power Point" has been selected as an answer.
Maurice Joyce RE: Microsoft Power Point
Handling Contributor 15th Oct, 2010 09:34
Score: 11865
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Are U sure that is the path PSI is showing? It normally gives a clue with the Office number.

Office 2003 is 11.

I ask because I am unsure how U have worked out it is Office 2003.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0

maxepotter

RE: Microsoft Power Point
[+]
This reply has been minimised due to a negative Relevancy Score.
TiMow RE: Microsoft Power Point
Dedicated Contributor 15th Oct, 2010 14:34
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
Last edited on 15th Oct, 2010 15:00
Hi Nikilet

I don't know if this will help or not, but I had a similar situation to you, last Weds (10/13) - on XP with PSI 1.5.0.2.

It's easiest to direct you to thread I created, (than to re-type everything), which documents my situation:

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/590...

A brief précis as follows:

- After scan - 4 M$ insecurities, + PPV 2003 e-o-l;
- M$ updates cleared insecurities (after re-boot and re-scan) and left PPV still as e-o-l;
- Installed PPV 2007 - re-boot and rescan still showed PPV 2003 (also tried to rename this file, but to no avail) as e-o-l, plus now XP as insecure;
- M$ update then gave further M$ Office systems downloads;
- Re-boot and re-scan still showed PPV 2003 as e-o-l, plus insecurities now with three Net Frameworks (which were updated over a week before), and still XP;
- A further M$ update now delivered some more M$ Office systems downloads;

[N.B. Until this point, all related PSI scans recorded a scan time of: real time minus 7 hrs., showing time of last scan as 7 hrs. earlier than actual completion time - was PSI throwing a bit of I wobbly, I wondered?]

- A final re-boot and re-scan now came up clean (with correct scan completion time).

After PPV 2003 was removed from PSI e-o-l, I had to manually delete shortcut from All Programs (Start menu), where PPV 2007 is also listed (but not under PSI Patched tab).

[As I have never used PPV, I can't confirm if it's installed and functioning correctly - when I click on it, it just opens a small My Docs. window and prompts to type in the empty file name box.
EDIT to remove unnecessary text.

My advice is to check and re-check (following any installations and re-boot) M$ Updates - as they didn't all come at once for me.

TiMow

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
mouldwarp RE: Microsoft Power Point
Member 15th Oct, 2010 17:03
Score: 0
User Since: 13th Jan 2008
Last edited on 15th Oct, 2010 17:04
I had exactly this yesterday, Powerpoint Viewer did not show in my Control Panel Add/Remove program list and there was no way of uninstalling it. I found a suggestion on the net to download and re-instll Viewer 2003 then remove it but that made no difference to the Secunia report.

I then found that Viewer 2003 (version 11x) is not installed in the same folder as Viewer 2007. What I did (sharp intake of breath and fingers crossed) was to backup the system, navigate to the folder shown in the file path for the executable and delete that folder (only that folder). Secunia PSI was then happy and there have been no untoward effects.

I would not normally recommend deleting a folder in this way but nothing I else I tried (Revo) would recognise Viewer 2003.

--
mouldwarp
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Nikilet RE: Microsoft Power Point
Member 15th Oct, 2010 19:22
Score: 7
User Since: 15th Jul 2008
Last edited on 15th Oct, 2010 19:27
Hello Maurice

Under my End-of-Life tab in PSI it states: Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2003 11.0.8305.0 and then the path given is C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\PowerPoint Viewer\PPTVIEW.EXE.

When I clicked on the Download Solution it took me to the Microsoft page to download and install the 2007 version.

After reading TiMow's answer I checked and in Start/All Programs I do have two listings for PPV, one shown as 2003 and one as 2007. I manually checked for Windows Updates and nothing more came through.

In my initial post where I mentioned both the PPV problem and the Adobe problem, you said the PPV problem had been answered in another post but did not direct me to the post. Could you please tell me your position on mouldwarp's solution of removing the folder?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 15th Oct, 2010 19:29
Last edited on 15th Oct, 2010 19:32
OK - use the Open Folder option in PSI - it should take U to that file. Right click & delete it.

If it is contained in an Office 11 folder delete that folder.

Do a full rescan & U should be OK.

What I meant on the other thread was I had responded here to help U.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Nikilet RE: Microsoft Power Point
Member 15th Oct, 2010 19:46
Score: 7
User Since: 15th Jul 2008
Last edited on 15th Oct, 2010 19:48
After removing PPTVIEW.EXE from the folder PSI shows all is well.

Thank you
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 15th Oct, 2010 21:02
Pleased to here U are fixed up again.

If all your problems are now resolved could U please lock (Accept) the thread. This will prevent us both from receiving update emails from "tag on" posts.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+