Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Acrobat 9.2 won't update to 9.4 under Win7 64 bit

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Adobe Systems
And, this specific program:
Adobe Acrobat 9.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
jonrichco Acrobat 9.2 won't update to 9.4 under Win7 64 bit
Member 20th Oct, 2010 10:29
Ranking: 0
User Since: 27th Nov, 2008
System Score: N/A
If I try to update Acrobat 9 Standard from within Acrobat 9, it gives me a message that Update failed.

If I try to run AcrobatUpd940_all_incr.msp or 9.3.1 it says that the upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows installer because the program to be upgraded may be missing or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program.

Any ideas how to resolve this. Maybe uninstall and reinstall? But I thought I would ask first.

Anthony Wells RE: Acrobat 9.2 won't update to 9.4 under Win7 64 bit
Expert Contributor 20th Oct, 2010 16:00
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 20th Oct, 2010 16:06
Hello @jonrichco ,

Adobe Acrobat/Reader works on a platform and ads incremental patches so you need each one to be there .

The latest version is 9.4x so this is a new platform and you will probably save yourself a lot of time by (clean) un-installing and reinstalling the latest version from here :-

http://www.adobe.com/uk/downloads/

Watch out for all the useless add-ons you will be "offered"

Rather than use the PSI "solution" to update , the surest way to update has always been (in the past) to launch the Acrobat/Reader , Click on Help and use the "..check for updates .." link and be guided from there . You might want to try this first if you have not yet done so - I think your post says you tried this route .

You can use any browser to get the download , but remember to close all browsers and Acrobat/Reader itself before you run the installer . A reboot may sometimes be necessary .

Hope this is helpful . Let us know how you go .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+2
jonrichco RE: Acrobat 9.2 won't update to 9.4 under Win7 64 bit
Member 21st Oct, 2010 06:19
Score: 0
User Since: 27th Nov 2008
Unfortunately stupid Adobe make it almost impossible to download a clean 9.4 as they want to sell you Acrobat X. Will ring them to tell them exactly what I think of them.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 21st Oct, 2010 13:57

That's bad . Had a quick look , but cannot find the up to date FTP site only a mirror not carrying Acrobat 9.4 .

If you still have the 9.3 installer maybe you could get the internal updater/repair links to work .

Ley us know what they say.

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 21st Oct, 2010 14:05

Changed browsers - now in - Ff ; here you go :-

http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/ftp.adobe.com/p...

Maybe that works .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
M.Hansen RE: Acrobat 9.2 won't update to 9.4 under Win7 64 bit
Secunia Official 21st Oct, 2010 14:27
Score: 188
User Since: 26th Jan 2009
Download for Adobe Acrobat 9.4:
ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobat/win/9.x/9.4....

I hope you find it useful
JBH123 RE: Acrobat 9.2 won't update to 9.4 under Win7 64 bit
Member 23rd Oct, 2010 22:50
Score: 2
User Since: 26th Nov 2009
Just like the original poster, when I try to run AcrobatUpd940_all_incr.msp, I get the error message:

The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows installer because the program to be upgraded may be missing or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program.

I have tried downloading and running the update file from each of the sites the subsequent posters have listed, and none of them works--they all give that same error message.

I have also tried both of the following from within Acrobat (9.2.0):

Help|Repair Acrobat Installation
Help|Check for Updates

and neither one has worked. One gave me a "1403" error, and the other gave me some other error whose wording I can't recall.

Also, I am unable to simply uninstall and reinstall Acrobat only (I think), because my version was not a separate (discrete) install; rather it came as a part of Adobe CS4 Design Premium.

So my question is this: Is there anything else I still can try, or that I have so far failed to do? Or is the only remaining option to uninstall and reinstall the entire CS4 Design Premium Suite? (And if I do, how do I ensure that the same vulnerability doesn't just come up again?)

I'm truly stumped; so if any of you out there can help me out, I would sure appreciate it. Thanks.

JBH
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 23rd Oct, 2010 23:32

JBH ,

Very quickly as it is late ; read here and you will see that there is a defintive sequence of updates to get from 9.2. to 9.4 via 9.3 :-

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/498/cpsid_49880.html

The FTP file installers posted by Morten and myself are not the updaters but the full installer for a free standing Acrobat 9.4.

As a bundled programme you will need to go thru' the patch sequence described in the link . As 9.2 is potentially very vulnerable , so i would get after it . I you cannot update you will need to take it up with Adobe or , as you say , reinstall the whole suite .

Will check back tomorrow .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+2
JBH123 RE: Acrobat 9.2 won't update to 9.4 under Win7 64 bit
Member 24th Oct, 2010 04:49
Score: 2
User Since: 26th Nov 2009
I went to the link you provided (http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/498/cpsid_49880.html). It took me quite a while, but I was finally able to find the part that was/is relevant to me, which is:

Acrobat updates are always MSPs. The only acceptable patch order is to install all MSPs in order. For example: 9 > 9.1 > 9.1.1 > 9.1.2 > 9.1.3 > 9.2 > 9.3 > 9.3.1 > 9.3.2 > 9.3.3 > 9.3.4 > 9.4

From there I had to do a little searching to find where to download the updates from. I found them nicely organized and available at
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp...

I had to apply 9.3.0 (Quarterly) -> 9.3.2 (Quarterly) -> 9.3.3 (Quarterly) -> 9.4.0 (Quarterly), but once I did (including a mandatory reboot after each), Secunia gave me the all-clear - 100%, FINALLY. Sheesh. What a friggin' pain in the you-know-what.

Turns out I didn't really notice this thread was for 64-bit Win 7 until a moment ago. I'm running 32-bit, but in this case I guess the process is the same. Thanks for helping me understand the process, complicated though it is, and giving me the key step to get my setup fixed up.
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Expert Contributor 24th Oct, 2010 17:16

Hi JBH ,

Sorry I did not have more time yesterday to point you more specifically ; at least you got there by yourself and they say you learn better that way despite the pain !!

Pleased you are sorted ; hopefully the PSI will keep you advised of the next update and "usually" the programme's internal updater in the help menu will do the trick ; if not you where to look yourself on the Adobe website or use the PSI "download solution" as a last resort .

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
TiMow RE: Acrobat 9.2 won't update to 9.4 under Win7 64 bit
Dedicated Contributor 24th Oct, 2010 18:22
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
By replying to relevant threads, will hopefully keep them on the first page, and relegate this overload of spam to the second page.
Apologies for unnecessary e-mail update.

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
jonrichco RE: Acrobat 9.2 won't update to 9.4 under Win7 64 bit
Member 24th Oct, 2010 19:20
Score: 0
User Since: 27th Nov 2008
Thanks JBH. Indeed the trick is to install ALL of Adobe's stupid patches in sequence - why they cannot make patches that incorporate prior changes I don't know. I guess what they are doing is easier for them if not for us.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp...
is the key site to make sure you have downloaded and installed all of the patches between the version to be upgraded and the current version. 64 or 32 bit doesn't seem to make any difference.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 24th Oct, 2010 19:35

Actually jonricho , as I read it the problem is actually included "secutity" updates in the "Quarterly" so that 9.3.4 doesn't seem to want to upload as per the "unacceptable" here :-

Acceptable: Acrobat 9.0.0 -> 9.1.0 (Quarterly) -> 9.1.2 (Quarterly) -> 9.2.0 (Quarterly) -> 9.3.0 (Quarterly) -> 9.3.2 (Quarterly) -> 9.3.3 (Quarterly) -> 9.3.4 (Security)

Acceptable: Acrobat 9.0.0 -> 9.1.0 (Quarterly) -> 9.1.2 (Quarterly) -> 9.2.0 (Quarterly) -> 9.3.0 (Quarterly) -> 9.3.2 (Quarterly) -> 9.3.3 (Quarterly) -> 9.4.0 (Quarterly)

Unacceptable: Acrobat 9.0.0 -> 9.1.0 (Quarterly) -> 9.1.2 (Quarterly) -> 9.2.0 (Quarterly) -> 9.3.0 (Quarterly) -> 9.3.2 (Quarterly) -> 9.3.3 (Quarterly) -> 9.3.4 (Security) -> 9.4.0 (Quarterly)

found in the link :-

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/498/cpsid_49880.html

as JBH found out :)) Detailed reading for us all ; as for understanding !!??? :((((

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability