Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Auto-update Firefox 3.6.10 > 3.6.11 - 2 problems

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI 2.0 Beta

This thread has been marked as resolved.
Websafe Auto-update Firefox 3.6.10 > 3.6.11 - 2 problems
Member 20th Oct, 2010 16:33
Ranking: 79
User Since: 24th May, 2009
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 20th Oct, 2010 16:34

Hello all.
Just did a PSI (1.9.0.4001) scan and Mozilla Firefox 3.6.10 was flagged as insecure.
The auto-update feature started and after half a minute ended with: “Download failed”.
A rescan of Firefox ended with the same: “Download failed”.
Remark: Mozilla's servers might be overloaded.
Then I choose: “Manual download”. This quickly downloaded the Firefox 3.6.11 installer in English-US version. Since I have selected “Dutch” as preferred language for the auto-update I would expect the manual download also in my selected language.
Not sure this is a misinterpretation on my side or an error on part of PSI.

Did a manual download of Firefox 3.6.11-Dutch-nl and Firefox is installed fine.

Have a nice day,
Websafe.

Post "RE: Auto-update Firefox 3.6.10 > 3.6.11 - 2 problems" has been selected as an answer.
Anthony Wells RE: Auto-update Firefox 3.6.10 > 3.6.11 - 2 problems
Expert Contributor 20th Oct, 2010 16:58
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 20th Oct, 2010 17:02
Hello Websafe ,

This is a known ( to Secunia ) bug in the Beta versions ; you can get your own language only in the "auto-updates" where a language option is offered : eg : Firefox .

All others auto-updates or manual update solutions offered by the PSI will be in the International version language : ie : English - probably "US" English at that .

I always update Firefox from the programmes own "help" menu . I actually had a problem with it this time (for GB English) in that the installer kept saying that a version of Ff was running and needed closing , each time I tried to restart Ff to complete the installation ; even tho' no process was seen to be running in Task Manager:(( A reboot solved this -the new files had downloaded OK and so the new version installed correctly .

Might relate to your problem with the "A-U" .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+2
TiMow RE: Auto-update Firefox 3.6.10 > 3.6.11 - 2 problems
Dedicated Contributor 20th Oct, 2010 17:33
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
Last edited on 20th Oct, 2010 17:50
I think (as Websafe eluded to), that there was some sort of minor problem at Mozilla.

I, too, (like A.W.), update from within Ff. (Help>Check for Updates).

When I read, this morning, that 3.6.11 was available, I went to carry out said procedure and in place of "Check for Updates" was "Downloading Updates" (with revolving circle of dots), on the Help dropdown. I assumed that Ff. auto update had beaten me to it. 20 mins. later there was no change - so I clicked on Downloading Updates and a pop-up appeared stating that Download had failed.

I subsequently cancelled and re-applied Check for Updates, and this time, everything ran as it should, in it's normal quick time. (No re-boot or PSI scan required for correct listing in Patched).

[I can't recall exactly what,** but I think I also had a small hiccup when I updated Thunderbird (in the same way), a short time later - so maybe Mozilla were suffering from overload.]

TiMow

EDIT: ** I remember now - the green download progress bar stopped near the end of download - I had to click pause and "play" (right of bar) a couple of times in order for it to complete.

P.S. I still use PSI 1.5.0.2 - so no PSI A.U. available to me.

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Expert Contributor 20th Oct, 2010 17:53

Just to avoid any confusion , the Ff files immediately downloaded OK but when I tried to restart FF a pop-up claimed to detect a version of Ff running ; the help menu showed files ready to install , but repeated the 'close another programme running" of Ff message when I clicked the link (a couple of times) .

I rebooted to clear out that message and the version 3.6.11 installed as soon as I opened Ff . The result showed in th PSI without a need to scan , but without an "update" bubble over the tray icon .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Websafe RE: Auto-update Firefox 3.6.10 > 3.6.11 - 2 problems
Member 20th Oct, 2010 18:29
Score: 79
User Since: 24th May 2009
System Score: 100%
Anthony & TiMow thanks for your reaction.

I will keep in mind that the manual update solutions are in English-US or sometimes an international installer.
Mostly I download a new version of software by visiting the vendors website. This time I tried the download solution.

Websafe.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 20th Oct, 2010 18:35

Hi again ,

I run the PSI Beta "auto-updates" for Flash and Java to help the Beta testing - not Firefox as I do not wish to risk any compromise my settings ; otherwise by preference I NEVER use the PSI's offered solutions ; too many problems and inconsistencies and I want to know what I have chosen BEFORE I download something/anything to my HDD .

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
TiMow RE: Auto-update Firefox 3.6.10 > 3.6.11 - 2 problems
Dedicated Contributor 20th Oct, 2010 18:44
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
Hi Websafe

A final thought.

Wherever possible - once alerted to an available program update - I have found that my above outlined method (from open program, Help>Check for Updates), is the best limiter for possible errors (for me, at any rate).

I have read (here on the forum), in the past, about update/download/install complications, even when visiting the vendor website - iTunes being one that springs to mind - especially when non-English language versions are required (outside of the current update bug with 2.0 beta); and wrong downloads between 32 and 64 bit versions.

Updating from within the program "should" replace like with like.

Regards

TiMow

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 20th Oct, 2010 18:50

Both Secunia and many websites :eg: Adobe recommend using the programmes "internal" updater ; even if Flash , Shockwave and AIR best update using the latest installer from the website . Every programme/vendor has it's/their quirks .

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+2

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability