xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: irritating build up of insecure software messages that are .........

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Open Discussions

This thread has been marked as locked.
Harry Lime irritating build up of insecure software messages that are .......non existent
Member 25th Oct, 2010 14:25
Ranking: 0
User Since: 6th Oct, 2009
System Score: N/A
New to PSI; I'm getting more and more messages relating to software that is now obsolete - when I apply patch often software is up to date ....... - and I assume that this is because deleted programmes are not always 100% deleted and PSI still picks this up, without filtering software that has been updated and therefore should ignore all older versions.....??. How do I stop this from happening as I regularly update all programmes, and have windows update on auto?

Use crap cleaner and other programmes to clean registry but that clearly is not enough. Do I set PSI to ignore previous versions of programmes subsequently updated or is there something I am missing very obviously , suspect there is.....

TiMow RE: irritating build up of insecure software messages that are .......non existent
Dedicated Contributor 25th Oct, 2010 15:19
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
This is a problem that many users of PSI have.
PSI will detect and report instances of any old, insecure files that are still present on your PC, even if you have the most current update installed.

The failing of many software updates, is that they don't fully remove previous and/or old versions, even if you believe you have fully deleted them - there is still something left, if PSI is finding it - therefore your suspicions are correct.

However, even though there is a mechanism for ignoring the reporting of some files/programs, this is not the right way to go at this point, as the insecurity would still remain and could leave you vulnerable.

If you are able to provide the following information, you should receive better, specific help:

- your Windows OS;
- your PSI version number, that you are using;
- full version numbers of any insecure file/programs that PSI is reporting;
- their file location/installation path.

If unsure on how to provide the last two requests, then further guidance can be offered if you are able to give the first two.

TiMow

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+2
M.Hansen RE: irritating build up of insecure software messages that are .......non existent
Secunia Official 25th Oct, 2010 15:25
Score: 188
User Since: 26th Jan 2009
Hi
Welcome to the Secunia Community Forum

It is recommended to remove the leftover files from old installations, even if they are not active, they could cause unnecessary risks to your system.

You can create ignore rules from within the "Settings" menu. (Advanced Interface for PSI 1.x)

As a new user, your first impression is very important to us.
If you want, could you share the list of programs you have trouble with?
We will continue to improve the PSI to make it easier for user to get all of their programs patched.
HarryLime RE: irritating build up of insecure software messages that are .......non existent
Member 25th Oct, 2010 17:19
Score: 0
User Since: 25th Oct 2010
Hi

Detail as follows:

Google 6.0 version 6.0.472.63

C:\Users\Bob\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Applicati on\6.0,472.63\chrome.dll

Sun Java JRE 1.5.x / 5.x

C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\java.exe

Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) 4.x

C:\Program Files\NewTech Infosystems\NTI Media Maker 8\Media Maker\msxml4.dll

Secunia PSI v1.5.0.2

I have another laptop with similar issues but I will test your suggested plan of action and then see hoiw I can migrate the solution to it.

There must be a simpler way of clearing out old versions of current software or am I being naive.........?

Thanks for your kind help.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
HarryLime RE: irritating build up of insecure software messages that are .......non existent
Member 25th Oct, 2010 17:22
I have replied to an earlier reply with some further info.

Please can you make your advanced screen better able to cut and paste = I did work it out in the end....

It would be great to have a dedicated page with all the additional "help" to remove obsolete references to older versions of software ......or does that exist elsewhere...???
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: irritating build up of insecure software messages that are .......non existent
Expert Contributor 25th Oct, 2010 17:53
Score: 2463
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 25th Oct, 2010 17:59
Hello Harry/Bob ,

Morten may have gone for the day , so I'll give you food for thought as you wait for tomorrow CET !

If there was a better way clean up after whoever , the PSI would point to it or be partially redundant :))

The new 2.0 Beta version 1.9.0.4001 goes some way to dealing with martialing/grouping the problems and has a very good user manual and the troubleshoot report mentions Ctrl +C and+V ; it's pretty steady for a Beta :-

http://secunia.com/PSI2SetupBeta.exe

For Chrome broxser 6.x : using 1.5.0.2 , in "Advanced" mode in the "insecure" tab click the [+] at the left end of the programme and in the expanded page click on the "open folder" icon in the "toolbox" ; right click lick on the old file - numbered 6.x - and delete . You can also use Explorer to navigate the file path . Chrome browser (almost) always leaves the old version behind (deliberately) .

You can do the same for Java or go to Add/Remove and delete any Sun/Java programmes named JRE , JDK or other except for the latest secure version Java (TM) 6 update 22 . You can get it here :-

http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Re MSXML you need to specify your OS and the 4.x version number .

Take care

Anthony

PS : the "dedicated" help is an ever moving target and many variations due to system idiosyncrasies and vendor delerium , hence the help yourself Forum :))

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
ddmarshall RE: irritating build up of insecure software messages that are .......non existent
Dedicated Contributor 25th Oct, 2010 18:51
Score: 1219
User Since: 8th Nov 2008
System Score: 98%
In addition to what Anthony says, the MSXML4 that is being picked up is a copy that has been distributed in NTI Media Maker 8. Updating from Microsoft will have no effect on this location. You need to get an update from NTI if one is available. Software vendors are often poor at patching vulnerabilities like this. There is an upgrade to Media Maker 9 available, but you would have to pay for it.

--
This answer is provided “as-is.” You bear the risk of using it.
Was this reply relevant?
+2
TiMow RE: irritating build up of insecure software messages that are .......non existent
Dedicated Contributor 25th Oct, 2010 18:58
Last edited on 25th Oct, 2010 19:00
on 25th Oct, 2010 17:53, Anthony Wells wrote:

For Chrome broxser 6.x : using 1.5.0.2 , in "Advanced" mode in the "insecure" tab click the [+] at the left end of the programme and in the expanded page click on the "open folder" icon in the "toolbox" ; right click lick on the old file - numbered 6.x - and delete . You can also use Explorer to navigate the file path . Chrome browser (almost) always leaves the old version behind (deliberately) .

Anthony's got the ball rolling, but regarding the above info. for Chrome, I seem to remember that Chrome 6.x was found in the End-of-life tab, and not Insecure - only a minor point - just look for tab(s) with the red lettering.

Java will hopefully also be straight forward with the details already given.

Re. MSXML - this looks like it might be a version bundled in another piece of software (NewTech Infosystems\NTI Media Maker 8). I'm not personally familiar with this, but if it is the case, then it may only be possible to update this, when the main program gets updated (and could therefore be a bit more problematical).

TiMow

EDIT: crossed post with ddm above, who confirmed my feelings (re. MSXML) and was able to offer more accurate info.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Anthony Wells RE: irritating build up of insecure software messages that are .......non existent
Expert Contributor 25th Oct, 2010 22:10
Last edited on 25th Oct, 2010 22:15
@ddm ,

I am on XP SP3 , so only have MSXML 6.x and I don't have Media Maker in my NTI folder ; my 6.x dll is only found in Windows\System32\ .. nought in NTI .

I was wondering if renaming the old NTI file then copying the up to date 4.x .dll from System32 (assuming there is a 4.x) might work as it does for some things Adobe . Guess it's better to ask NTI first too see what they come up with . I'll drop out now , as you actually know what you are doing with things mysterious from M$.

@TiMow ,

As the Chrome 6.x is/was both insecure and EOL I was guessing at the tab ; I think it was EOL in the Beta as well , so you're very probably correct . Thanks for that .

@Harry/Bob ,

Hope you found the right tab for Chrome after my blunder :((

How are you getting along ?? I would suggest you rely on ddm for advice (rather than me) on things MSXML .

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 26th Oct, 2010 09:24
Thanks I will attempt to update as you suggest
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th Oct, 2010 09:35
Guys,

All insecure items have left the building....thanks for your help, I will now tackle the other machine.......

Still shows IE8 as insecure but I do not use IE8 willingly, preferring Google of Firefox so I will ignoe that FTB.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 26th Oct, 2010 10:55
Last edited on 26th Oct, 2010 11:30
Good to hear every thing's cleared up.
Interested to know if you updated to 2.0 (1.9.0.4) beta - if so did that offer a solution to MSXML or did you go the route suggested by Anthony?

A quick word re. IE8 insecurity.

If you are referring to the listing in its browser box, in secure browsing tab (Insecure, no solution) - this, as it suggests, is not fixable (and won't be).
IE9 (in beta stage at present), should clear that up when it goes full release - but unfortunately is not compatible with XP or earlier (I think this won't apply to you?).

This is only a low-level insecurity, and as you don't use IE, this shouldn't represent a threat to you.

TiMow

P.S. A quick note for Anthony: on my XP SP3 I have both MSXML 4.x (4.20.9876.0) and 6.x (6.20.1103.0) in System32, and both listed in patched.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Expert Contributor 26th Oct, 2010 13:04
Last edited on 26th Oct, 2010 13:15
For Harry ,

Pleased you are progressing :)

I use the "IE Tab" extension to run IE(8) within my Chrome browser - obviously it uses the embedded IE engine with all the commensurate vulnerabilities , but at least it runs in the Chrome (tab) sandbox .

It was designed for Ff , but has not been compatible/working with recent versions of Ff (which I run in the "Sandboxie" software) ; Just checked different versions now available for Ff3.6x .

For TiMow ,

I did an OS restore/(late) spring clean and got rid of (still on the back-up DVD's) a lot of stuff . MSXML 4.x did not reappear and neither did C++ 2005 ; .NET 1.1 did return to the fold . The arcane realm of M$ is indeed a place of magic .

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+2

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+