Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: MailWasher

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
firetrust
And, this specific program:
MailWasher Pro 2010

This thread has been marked as resolved.
This user no longer exists MailWasher
Member 25th Oct, 2010 22:51
Ranking: 8
User Since: 1st Jan, 1970
System Score: N/A
Hello.

Has anyone used the MailWasher program, and if so, have you had any problems with it?

Does anyone know of another spam prevention program for use with Outlook Express?

Thank you very much.

jitterbug

Post "RE: MailWasher" has been selected as an answer.
mogs RE: MailWasher
Expert Contributor 25th Oct, 2010 23:36
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Hello.
Here are links to the Secunia Advisories covering Firetrust's Mailwasher progs :-
http://secunia.com/advisories/product/17204/ Mailwasher Pro 6
http://secunia.com/advisories/product/10223/ Mailwasher Pro 5
http://secunia.com/advisories/product/32771/ Mailwasher Pro 2010

There are no vulnerabilities reported for any.....seems a good enough recommendation perhaps ?
Havn't got any personal experience of such, but hope the info helps.....regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Anthony Wells RE: MailWasher
Expert Contributor 26th Oct, 2010 00:42
Score: 2414
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 26th Oct, 2010 01:07
Hi jitterbug ,

Here's the latest Spam Blocker review from Gizmo's Freeware website - a site I consider to be very reputable ; it's written by Gizmo himself , so right from the horse's mouth , you might say :)) :-

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-antispam.htm

Cloudmark and Mailwasher seem to get the nod .

Like Gizmo , I find that the spam filter in my Gmail email client is also top notch and doesn't need a back up for my usage - even if some may not favour things Google .

Hope this is helpful .

take care

Anthony

PS ; strange , just noticed neither are "Free" , but the reviews seem to answer the questions and there is a trial period .

PPS; here's the free listing :-

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-spam-fil...

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
This user no longer exists RE: MailWasher
Member 26th Oct, 2010 01:55
Hello.

Well I've had some trouble with Mail Washer. I guess it is a free program, unless you get the Pro version. I had the free version for a few weeks and it worked quite well. Then I couldn't pull the program up. When I clicked on the icon on my desktop, a pop-up told me the program was 'already running'.

This happened several times. I couldn't find the program so I decided to remove it and re-install it. Nope. Couldn't remove it from the control panel either because it was 'already running'.

I finally gave up til the next day when magically, after fooling around with it, I somehow finally managed to delete the program.

Yesterday I emailed Fire Trust about this problem and someone is supposed to get back to me. This case is marked 'high priority', but I haven't heard from anyone yet. I am afraid to re-install the program.

Thanks for the suggestions. Cloudmark sounds promising, but in the meantime I will wait to hear from Fire Trust. Because they are in New Zealand their time zone is certainly different than mine.

jitterbug
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 26th Oct, 2010 12:48

Hello again jitterbug ,

As mailwasher free is no longer supported , it will be interesting to see what Fire Trust say . The NZ's are usually pretty helpful people .

In the Gizmo "Free" list , it maybe that the SPAMfighter Standard programme is an alternative to Cloudmark , provided you can accept their ad banner on your mail .

Let us know your progress , I'm sure plenty of readers will be interested .

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 28th Oct, 2010 03:01
Hello.

I got an answer from someone named Marcus at Firetrust on the 26th, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I will type most of the response for you just as it was sent to me. I don't have MailWasher Pro.

First of all he asked me to let him know my registered email address as he couldn't find me at the email address I gave him and I would need my registration key after fixing the problem. Huh? Then he wrote:

To fix the problem: Take a back up of the friendlist in case it is not restored after the reset.
'
Go to MailWasher application directory (where the logs are kept) it's path name will be something like: C:Documents and Settings (your user name) Application DataMailWasherPro.
Alternative you can click on MailWasher>>Help>>About>>click blue link to data files>>copy Blacklist.txt (also contains Friends list) and Filter.txt to floppy/cd.

Then he told me how to show hidden files and folders in case I had trouble finding the folder:

On the Tools menu in Windows Explorer, click Folder Options. Click the View tab. Under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders. To access Windows Explorer, click Start, point to All Programs, and then click Windows Explorer.

To do the same on Windows 7:

Open Folder Options by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Folder Options. Click the View tab. Under Advanced settings, click Show hidden files and folders, and then click Ok.

Now you should be able to browse to C:Documents and Settings/(your username)/Application Date/MailWasherPro.

Then he goes on to describe how to close MailWasher Pro in the Task Manager. Then he says to close taskmanager and go on with the reset process:

Right click on your Mail/Washer shortcut on your desktop and choose/Properties/shortcut/target add a space and -restore to the end of the target so it reads something like "C?Program Files/MailWasher Pro/MailWasher.exe" - restore. Click OK.

When you restart MailWasher, you can expect to lose your accounts and any settings you have altered. Your blacklist/friends List, and filters however will be retained. Then once you have started MailWasher Pro, go back to the shortcut you altered, and remove the -restore.

Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions you may have. Regards, Firetrust Support.

And he ended by closing my case.

I had managed to delete MailWasher from my Control Panel, and I was going to reinstall it, but I got a pop-up that read: 'List index out of bounds (0)'. I don't know what that means, so I did not reinstall MailWasher.

Yesterday I responded to the email from Firetrust, confirming my email address and telling them that I am hesitant to reinstall Mailwasher because of the pop-up message that I do not understand.

There you have it.

jitterbug
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 28th Oct, 2010 13:16
Hello.

I received another response from Firetrust. The reason Marcus couldn't find me is because I am not registered as MailWasher Pro. He said that because I am using the free version I am not entitled to support, and if I want to get help I should get MailWasher Pro, or just move on to something else.

jitterbug
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 28th Oct, 2010 17:47

Hi jitterbug ,

Thanks for updating .

On reading you first post , I got the impression that the reply was for someone using the Pro version ; I guess the second just confirms that and as with many "free/pay for " programmes you don't get the technical support for the free one .

You have the "best" options already reviewed Gizmo and his helpers and both the Pro Mailwasher and Cloudmark offer a "try before you buy" period and SPAMfighter Standard is free (if you accept their adds) so you can test it as you like - then maybe , if you so wish , pay to lose the adds .

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 28th Oct, 2010 21:45
Hello Anthony.

Unfortunately, I need to look for free software. It is either free, or it's none at all.

The SPAMfighter Standard seems like a contradiction in terms to me, because what is SPAM but unwanted advertising in a not-so-different form?

I will look at xTerminator.

Thank you all very much for your great suggestions.

jitterbug
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability