Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Removing Items from PSI

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Guwedoe Removing Items from PSI
Member 25th Oct, 2010 23:29
Ranking: 0
User Since: 25th Oct, 2010
System Score: N/A
I am trying to clean up my PC and have a question. Under the Secure Browsing Tab, it says that I have 4 browsers insecure. Under the tab it lists IE 7, IE 8 is listed twice and Firefox. Each browser listed has a few problems that I am trying to clean up. I don't have IE7 installed on my computer, at least I can't find it anywhere. Why does PSI list it as a problem? Also, why is IE8 listed twice? Any help is appricated!

Thanks,

MR

mogs RE: Removing Items from PSI
Expert Contributor 25th Oct, 2010 23:57
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Hello.
Very often, tho' you update a progam...the older file/version gets left behind. psi continues to detect it, even if still residing in the Recycle Bin.
If you click on a + sign alongside a program it will expand to reveal the file path...the location of the detected file.
If you click on Tech Details it will confirm it.
If using psi 2.0 Beta....+ once for the file path....twice for more information.

Post that info back to the forum, together with psi version and OS, if uncertain how to proceed.
You may have earlier and later versions of progs installed.
Even with a fully patched IE8 it will not be shown as Secure for browsing.
Hope this helps........regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
TiMow RE: Removing Items from PSI
Dedicated Contributor 26th Oct, 2010 11:12
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 26th Oct, 2010 14:39
In addition to the advice from @mogs, above, I would like to add the following.

You haven't stated which version of PSI you use - I use 1.5.0.2, and my info. relates to that. There would be differences if you are using 2.0 beta.

The secure browsing tab is for information purposes and any problems seen here, can not be directly actioned from here. You need to look in the other tabs (Insecure and/or End-of-Life) to find and solve any problems you may have. If there is an entry in a browser box (in secure browsing), and is written "Insecure, no solution", then you can do nothing, at present to change that.

If you have IE8, then obviously you don't need IE7. It should be listed in the patched tab, and by clicking [+], you can then further click Open Folder and delete IE7 file, where it's present in Explorer.

If you have 2 boxes for IE8, then it could be that one version is installed in an alternative, non-standard location (back-up drive? - maybe IE7 is also here?). You should look at installation paths to double-check (again from expanded listing in patched - but maybe not 2 entries?). Is your OS 64 bit? if yes, then one IE8 could be for 64 bit and the other for 32 bit.

The latest Firefox is 3.6.11 and shouldn't show as insecure. Is the insecurity in the browser box against a plug-in/add-on?
or
Is the Ff. insecurity listed in Insecure or End-of-Life tab? If so, what is the full version number and installation path? ([+], then Tech.Details). Have you run "Check for Updates" from Ff. Help?

As and if you require further assistance, it would be helpful to include details of your Windows OS and PSI version number.

TiMow

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer