xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Getplus+(r): error operating system error!

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Adobe Systems
And, this specific program:
Adobe Flash Player 10.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
Racheldavenport Getplus+(r): error operating system error!
Member 28th Oct, 2010 01:02
Ranking: 0
User Since: 28th Oct, 2010
System Score: N/A
I try to install but keeps ggiving me this error message need help badly

thedillpickl RE: Getplus+(r): error operating system error!
Contributor 28th Oct, 2010 03:10
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
System Score: 100%
Hi Racheldavenport;

Welcome to the Secunia forum.

There seems to be some discussion about this issue on the Adobe forum. http://forums.adobe.com/message/2293609 A post at the end of the thread, by driftconet seems the best bet. (S)he says, "Go to C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files. Delete the following files gp and gp.ocx . You should now be able to install the download manager and uninstall if required."

It may be a good idea to use Add/Remove to delete the old Flash before running the ADM. This is the 'standard' site. http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ It has been changed since I last used it.

If no help is found in the Adobe thread, please post back here or try the PSI 2.0 beta http://secunia.com/PSI2SetupBeta.exe , it will auto update Adobe.

Regards;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Racheldavenport RE: Getplus+(r): error operating system error!
Member 29th Oct, 2010 14:19
Score: 0
User Since: 28th Oct 2010
I still cant get it downloaded but now found i have many more issues with my computer. It is running very slow i try to restart it and it wont restart it gets stuck in logging off. same if i try to shut it down.
Please any information on what i should do also i ran the secunia psi and it says i need to update microsoft power point viewer 2003 and also update microsoft powerpoint 2007. I dont understand why i have two different years unless thats right and i tried updating them many times and now my windows updates says i have no updates to do.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
TiMow RE: Getplus+(r): error operating system error!
Dedicated Contributor 29th Oct, 2010 14:56
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
Last edited on 29th Oct, 2010 15:13
Hi Rachel

You seem to have a few problems (and a couple of threads) running.

It would help others to help you if, by reply post, you can give the following details:

- Your Windows operating system;
- PSI version number; and do you use Advanced mode?
- Do you have Adobe Flash already installed and are trying to update; OR have you no Flash installed at all?
- Do you have Microsoft Office installed, and if so which version; OR is Power Point Viewer stand alone? (e.g. I don't have M$ Office, but PPV is listed in All Programs);
- Are you familiar/able to give installation paths (PPV) when needed?;
- And in regard to driver problems it would be a good idea to give details of your hardware (PC) and Windows OS on that thread, also.

TiMow

P.S. Re. PPV - PPV 2003 is end-of-life, and should have been replaced by PPV 2007 - you don't need both; but are you also saying that PPV 2007 is being flagged by PSI as insecure?

P.P.S. Re. PC performance - do you have/use a PC maintenance utility? (e.g. CCleaner or similar); Would be also useful to give details of which browsers you have installed (and which is default?) - relating to Flash.

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 29th Oct, 2010 15:22
Last edited on 29th Oct, 2010 15:45
Thank you for your reply!!!
- Your Windows operating system:
WINDOWS VISTA HOME BASIC

- PSI version number:
IM USING PSI 2.0 BETA (I came across this searching on all my errors.)

-and do you use Advanced mode:
Not sure it shows my scan results in a list and tells how many patches and if there is threats

- Do you have Adobe Flash already installed and are trying to update; OR have you no Flash installed at all?
I have adobe flash player 10x and it says its bersion 10.1.85.3 and up to date

- Do you have Microsoft Office installed, and if so which version; OR is Power Point Viewer stand alone? (e.g. I don't have M$ Office, but PPV is listed in All Programs);
I have Microsoft ofice home and student 2007 the detected version is 12.0. on all parts, my powerpoint came with it and it says its 2007 detected version is 12.0. the program state is insecure with a high threat and it says to click link to update which i tried to do. but it also says i have powerpoint viewer 2003 detected version 11.0. in psi it is showing the state is end of life with a high threat and with a link to update and also tried with no success.

*the security patches its telling me to install is KB96918 & KB970059 and thats for both

- Are you familiar/able to give installation paths (PPV) when needed?
I can sure try im not a computer person but can find my way around pretty good.

Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.--love this!!!
Thank you again.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 29th Oct, 2010 16:08
Hi again Rachel

Thanks for getting back. With the details you've now provided (did you see my P.s.'s on my last reply?), you should start to get more specific help. Unfortunately I haven't progressed up to PSI 2.0 beta yet, but other forum contributors are familiar with it (I don't know if it has an Advanced mode or not?)

What I can possibly help with first is Flash - but you are reporting that you have the latest update - is this problem now sorted? If not try the following:

Download this Flash Uninstaller (to clear out any problems with flash):
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

Before you run it, fully exit the following:
- All browsers
- Windows messenger
- PSI (right click tray icon to exit - can be re-started from All Programs. (now, I think, I don't think 2.0 beta uses flash - but close it to be sure)
- Anything else that could use flash - probably best to close all open programs.

Now run the uninstaller and re-boot (if that's not too much of a problem).

Is there any reference to Adobe Flash or Download Mgr. (Get plus) in Add/Remove programs (from Control Panel)? If yes can you remove it/them from there?; if not continue here:

Use IE to download/re-install Flash ActiveX from this link (should be without download mgr. which may have been causing the error message).
http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_ie/8...

Use another browser (Firerfox, or Chrome, etc.) if applicable, to download/re-install Flash NPAPI from this link:
http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_fire...

Has that now worked, or do you still get an error message?

I'll leave it at that for now - maybe able to get back with a bit more info. re. M$ PPV.

TiMow

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 29th Oct, 2010 18:48
I do have adobe flash play 10 activeX in my uninstall program list should i just first remove it that way and restart
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 29th Oct, 2010 18:48
I'll try to offer some guidance for sorting out Power Point Viewer.
Although, I'm not familiar with PSI 2.0 beta, I have some points of reference, so I hope I can direct you with some of the basics.

On the Scan Results page, go to where PPV 2003 is listed as End-of-Life; click on the [+] on l.h.s. This should show the following:
Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2003 11.0.8305.0; and reveal an installation path the same as or similar to:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\PowerPoint Viewer\PPTVIEW.EXE.

There should also be an "Open Folder" icon, which you should click this to go to the file location of PPV 2003 (which should be contained in the Office 11 folder). Once there right click and delete it.

For PPV 2007 - have you recently upgraded to this - if so have you re-booted since? [N.B. I appreciate you're having problems logging off and re-starting - this may be a good time to consider running a maintenance/clean-up utility - see below**]

With M$ updates you sometimes have to re-boot a couple or so times for updates to fully kick-in, and in between re-booting, still check and re-check M$ Updates, because you don't always get them all at once. Once one has been properly installed after re-boot, then M$ Update will only then recognise another may be available. This also may not be the case.

Another way to check that you have all the M$ hotfixes is to use Belarc Advisor, downloadable from here:
http://belarc.com/free_download.html
(but probably, only after you've run a clean-up).

** Before you run any type of clean-up, it probably would be advisable to create a restore point, in System Restore - accessed from Control Panel, or Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools (on my XP box - hopefully same or similar in Vista). If things don't improve after cleaning, you can always go back to the point you have created.

If you don't have a separate program for this, then one that is recommended by several forum contributors is CCleaner, from here:
http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Finally have you run an anti-virus and ant-malware scan recently? - just to check that there is nothing nasty causing your problems (I doubt it, but still a good idea to check).
One that works well in addition to whatever program you may already use is Spybot S&D:
http://www.filehippo.com/download_spybot_search_de...

I hope I haven't given too much at once, but because of continental time differences, I have hopefully given you some points to consider - you choose what to use.

TiMow

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 29th Oct, 2010 18:56
My last post crossed at the same time as yours. To answer - if you haven't downloaded and run the uninstall flash from the link I gave earlier, I would run that first - it's better at removing flash, provided you've closed all programs I mentioned. (ActiveX won't be fully removed this way, if something is still using it).
If you've done that already and it's still showing in add/remove, then yes do it that way - but the uninstaller is the best way.

TiMow

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 29th Oct, 2010 19:06
so far i have deleted the powerpoint 2003 and it disappeared off the psi list also would i be better off using a different psi program? I by accident came accroos the 2.0 beta one.

I ran a disk clean up on it.
i updated my computer score but its only 3.6

The 2007 powerpoint is showing it finally updated so that part is good now
I had to open the program and accept licensing silly i didnt try that before

I have a labtop so im using that to message with you right now im restarting computer it wont let me uninstall the flash activeX program it keeps saying i have to wait till its done doing whatever its doing. i even closed everything out and open task manager to see if it was doing something. if i still cant get it to uninstall i will folow the link you gave me.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 29th Oct, 2010 19:11
ok i will follow link and uninstall that way as soon as it restarts
hoping it will restart lol i think its mad at me :-)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 29th Oct, 2010 19:42
Unfortunately, running a bit short of time, but will try to address your points.

PSI 2.0 is currently in beta stage and not full release (stable) - this means that it's still being developed/improved with user feedback - of which there are many thousands who, in the main, seem relatively happy.
One of the main features/advantages of this version, is that it offers automatic updates to any insecure programs (at present the list is a bit limited), once set by the user. If you're happy with this version, you shouldn't need to change. I haven't changed up yet for 2 reasons (I have version 1.5.0.2):
- as a rule I don't get involved with beta programs and their development - although PSI doesn't appear to be too twitchy now, after some of the initial niggles were addressed, over the last few weeks;
- as I prefer to be in charge of my updates, the auto update facility is not so attractive to me at this stage.

Glad PPV is sorted.

The ActiveX will stick, if it even thinks something may be sniffing at it - and task mgr. won't make you any wiser.
Are you running as Administrator?; and are completely sure nothing is still using it?
It may be worth checking your taskbar tray (bottom right), hovering the curser and right clicking over every icon (including hidden), and if there's an option to exit, then do it.

If your box is really playing up at re-starting, you probably need something stronger than disk clean-up (not sure I got the significance of the rating - out of 10, I guess), and should consider the suggestion I made above.
It's all a bit of work and time, but could help.

I'm going to have to leave you to it for now - it's cold beer time, this side of the pond - but still post if you have any further Q.'s or updates, as there may be others who can help, or I'll try to look tomorrow (although,I have a few things on this w/e).

TiMow

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 29th Oct, 2010 20:35
Last edited on 29th Oct, 2010 20:39
Thank you for all your help so far.
I got flashplayer off now reinstalling
You mentioned a better type of disk cleanup im very interested!!!!
i will definitely try both links you gave me in cleanup and spywear n the other one.
Ive never had a computer that wouldnt restart. WEIRD!!!!
You given me plenty to work with i seriously really appreciate it
Enjoy that nice cold beer.
Enjoy your weekend. I will let you know where this computer stands at a later time.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 29th Oct, 2010 20:48
Not quite made it to that beer yet.
I'll reproduce the link for CCleaner (from above), again:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Up 'til now, I use another one - keep meaning to change, but haven't got round to it - but other posters here, whose opinions I respect, "speak" highly of this one (and it's a freebie). But until I change, I can't give you the ins and outs.

It is supposed to have a not too aggressive registry cleaner, which I think you may need - although care is always needed when dealing with the registry - but I think you can adjust how it cleans(?).

Anyway, that's it - tongues on the floor, now.
Keep updating, as and when, to your progress and/or problems.

TiMow

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 2nd Nov, 2010 18:02
so far everything is running ok there is a few minor things still not working but its nothing im worried about at the moment.
Sorry it took so long to reply i came down with the flu and still cant break my fever when im better ill be back on
I appreciate all your help so very much!!!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 2nd Nov, 2010 18:19
Last edited on 2nd Nov, 2010 18:21
Glad to here your PC is approaching an acceptable state of normality.
Sorry you're unwell - par for the course, unfortunately, this time of year - you'll have to move out west to sunnier climes.

I missed the "text-speak" generation, but if it's applicable (or understandable) - G.W.S. - or in my part of the world - Gute Besserung!

If you require guidance with any of you other niggles, then post as you require, when you're well (maybe start a new thread) - you may even find help from someone who knows how these darn boxes work.

TiMow

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: Getplus+(r): error operating system error!
Expert Contributor 2nd Nov, 2010 21:28
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
Hello.
I'm a Vista user.....but I havn't got a cold this year !! My Toshiba's only 2yrs old and hasn't got a temperature either !! Thought you might like to try a couple of things when feeling up to it ?
You mentioned earlier 'bout things being a bit slow etc.,etc.: tho' it's never found any faults when I've run it ( usually once a month ): the Memory Diagnostics Tool in Vista may be worth giving a spin....Start/All Programs/Administrative Tools/Memory Diagnostics....Restart or check for faults at next start. It will then run two tests which may or may not be of help.
Another tool which I run as a matter of course on about the same time scale, is CHKDSK....Start/Computer/...Disk C/Properties ( with the red tick beside ).....panel appears : click on Tools. Click "Check Now" in the Error checking box.....you'll be given the option to check the disc at next start-up. It will check the disc for consistency/orphaned files/misplaced indexes, so on and so forth. You may have seen it in operation occasionally ?
As TiMow suggested, CCleaner seems to have a faultless reputation: is often recommended....is very safe; it seems to be gentle as regards the registry. You can run it every day if you wish, and set it to do a more thorough cleansing....up to 35 passes available in Settings.
There are a couple of other tools I'd suggest, to further clean/regain space and tidy up....if you're interested (?); but best see if the foregoing is of any help first eh ?
Regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 4th Nov, 2010 15:42
Thank you so much i ran both tools you noted and the one game i play on facebook will actually open again. it doesnt do all it should but i can atleast open it. but for the results of the memory diagnostics were would i find them?
I also run the cleaner suggested often!!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 4th Nov, 2010 22:22
Evening.
If you look in Problems Reports and Solutions/View problem history......found by clicking on Start/All Programs/Maintenance; you should find an entry there for the Memory Test.
Then right click on the entry to view details and Report.
Had you seen the CHKDSK at work before ? It seemed like when I first discovered it that it woke itself up.....occasionally now you may find it will operate at first boot some day. Did you notice if it moved/altered/rearranged much.....particularly in the verification of Index files ?
Don't forget you can set CCleaner to be a little more rigorous and thorough.
Another program you might like is Revouninstaller.....as it's name implies, it is very useful for uninstalling....also checks the registry for left over files afterwards. It has some very useful tools included....Junk File Cleaner....it seems to find the junk even after using other cleaners. You may not know this; but when you delete items in the Recycle bin they are not completely gotten rid of.....Evidence Remover in Revo sees the end of them; and frees up some space in the process.
I use the Junk cleaner nearly every day; and ER about once a week. You can read more and download the Free version from :-
http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_fr... Scroll to the bottom of the page.
Hope you find the foregoing useful........regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Anthony Wells RE: Getplus+(r): error operating system error!
Expert Contributor 4th Nov, 2010 23:18
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

For Mogs ,

A point about CCleaner settings :

The Gutmann 35 pass option is when you are cleaning for "security/safety" reasons and want to make sure personal data is removed and is made as difficult as possible/impossible to be recovered :eg: you wipe everything off before you throw an old HDD away or give a stranger access . With the newly added "Drive Wiper" option in the latest version 3.x , if you were not careful you could erase your entire disc !

For cleaning/taking out the trash , personally , I find the option "secure file deletion" as "simple overwrite (one pass)" more than adequate for regular/daily cleaning duties ; a newcomer might wish to start at the (Windows) "normal file deletion" level which usually can be recovered with some expert help .

So if you use anything other than one pass - depending on your paranoia level : ie : the 3 ,7 or 35 pass cleaning you may not be able to recover anything at all if you have made a mistake in your file selection .

Here is some background for you :-

http://www.techsoup.org/learningcenter/software/pa...

(This website checks clean for me ).

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Expert Contributor 4th Nov, 2010 23:37
Hi Anthony.
Installed the new CCleaner yesterday....thanks for the tips. Just trying to catch up tonight....after most of the day at 70 ( give or take a mile or two ! ).
Will have a good read later regarding Gutmann.....permanently set : havn't lost anything yet.......will certainly check it out. Thanks.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Getplus+(r): error operating system error!
Expert Contributor 4th Nov, 2010 23:48
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 4th Nov, 2010 23:58
The same applies to the Recycle Bin , Mogs . If you set CCleaner to "clean" the bin you cannot (easily) recover stuff , so a new user might wish to think twice thereof .

Rule one of computing : back up anything you cannot afford to lose off your computer
Rule two : back up your one .
Rule three : back up your two .

Only 70's I had today was F or 24C ; Indian summer after the weekend storms .

Take care

Anthony

PS: there's a CC update today fixing a Chrome bug .

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 5th Nov, 2010 00:11
I take your point Anthony... if I've only put it in the Bin; a back up might be handy.....but if I've emptied the Bin; I like to know it's finished with. My free space isn't getting absorbed with "deleted" and duplicates !
We must be in the Indian rainy season then ?
Take care.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability