Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Security certificate not found; PSI crash

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
joe schmoe Security certificate not found; PSI crash
Member 29th Oct, 2010 17:15
Ranking: 32
User Since: 26th Nov, 2008
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 30th Oct, 2010 10:46

Just started my XP SP3 box today after not running for two days.

Running as admin.

I did a system restore and PSI now works. Problem with "An error occurred with verifying the Security Certificate. The Secunia PSI cannot continue execution." dialog box does not appear anymore.

The only changes I made to my system was to install the newest version of WOT for IE8, and update FF 3.6 to the latest version.

Restore reverted to FF 3.6.11 and even though I chose a restore point of "Install WOT for IE8", that new version of WOT did not appear. I also was missing the latest version of FF on my backup drive, which I assume was because system restore also worked on the backup drive as well. It appears as if I lost some files on the backup drive because of this. Should this happen?

(Edit:) Good thing I reverted as both Adobe Flash and Reader now are rated "extremely critical" by Secunia. FF would not open after I posted this thread; after removal of both programs, FF now opens.

(Second edit:) Is the failure of PSI to validate the security certificate related in some way to FF not opening? FF is the system default browser. Would the security vulnerabilities in Adobe contribute to or cause the problem described above?

Sorry I was not clear about this; but this is why I posted.

Is there a way to get or replace the security certificate used by PSI if this problem should reoccur?

Thanks.

joe schmoe

Sorry, I did not specify PSI version. It is 1.5.0.2

--
XP Pro SP3 P4 3.2 HT 2 GB RAM Avast! 9.0.2007 AIS
Win 7 Home Pro SP1 Pentium D 2.8 2 GB RAM Avast 9.0.2007 AIS
Secunia PSI 2.0.0.3003 XP Pro 32-bit & Win 7 H Pro 64-bit

Post "RE: Security certificate not found; PSI crash" has been selected as an answer.
joe schmoe RE: Security certificate not found; PSI crash
Member 1st Nov, 2010 05:54
Score: 32
User Since: 26th Nov 2008
No response so far. Should I have posted under PSI? Version is 1.5.0.2

Thanks

joe schmoe

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
E.Jeppesen RE: Security certificate not found; PSI crash
Secunia Official 1st Nov, 2010 12:24
Score: 220
User Since: 24th Nov 2008
Please open Internet Explorer and go to Tools->Internet Options->Advanced->Security->Check for server certificate revocation.
Remove the check at "Check for server certificate revocation".

Did this solve the issue?
joe schmoe RE: Security certificate not found; PSI crash
Member 1st Nov, 2010 20:46
Score: 32
User Since: 26th Nov 2008
Last edited on 1st Nov, 2010 20:48
on 1st Nov, 2010 12:24, E.Jeppesen wrote:
Please open Internet Explorer and go to Tools->Internet Options->Advanced->Security->Check for server certificate revocation.
Remove the check at "Check for server certificate revocation".

Did this solve the issue?

Thank you for your reply.

I went and checked Advanced, and found the "Check for server certificate revocation" box to be unchecked. Maybe the box got checked somehow, but I do not remember ever going there and checking that line off. Perhaps System Restore did in fact restore this line to default (off), maybe not. No one else uses this computer except for myself, and all accounts, including the Administrator, are password protected. So, I am at a loss as to how this may have happened. Passwords are kept in a locked file cabinet when not needed.

I have four accounts: Administrator, User Administrator, user, and Guest. The account I am running now is User Administrator. (Name of User Admin Account not posted for obvious reasons).

I think the key account not password protected by default is the Administrator account, and I think this should always be password protected, as this account can be used to change settings without user knowledge system-wide.

I use FF as the default browser, so when I open Secunia Forums, this browser opens automatically to that site when PSI loads the forum link. As I said earlier, FF would not open at all after the unknown setting change was made, and PSI displayed the security certificate error. I checked to see if I could see and visit other sites, and I could not. FF would not open, period.

Why would this happen?

System Restore was successful, and PSI is working again, FF is opening as it should.

joe schmoe

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Factsheets
Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability