Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Useless, wrong, pitiful

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
dperry Useless, wrong, pitiful
Member 1st Nov, 2010 03:57
Ranking: 0
User Since: 3rd Jan, 2010
System Score: N/A
Ran PSI, reported the usual Adobe and Sun Java, but CNET and File Hippo have no problems. Nevertheless, downloaded and successfully installed Adobe mega "update" of 90+ MB. Ran PSI again, still showing the same insecurities, with the "fix' being the same 90+ mb mega "update." Secunia SUCKS, clearly being programmed by non-carbon based idiot non-lifeforms. Get a clue, figure out that something buried in Adobe CS4 is not being actively used, and that some old version of Java that isn't used is Not a threat (or even exists, since I've run JavaRa and deleted old versions and useless files. Once again, Secunia SUCKS. Use CNET, File Hippo, and maybe Sumo (haven't tried it for awhile, but has to be better) for real results.

Leendert Kip Useless, wrong, pitiful
Member 1st Nov, 2010 05:48
Score: 70
User Since: 22nd Jan 2009
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 1st Nov, 2010 05:53
I don't like your wording expressing your frustration. I can assure you that the Secunia people are real lifeforms making an incredible product that's free of charge too for home users like you and me. From experience and what I read in this forum reagularly, Adobe and Sun Java are troublesome in updating. So stop using this kind of wording, give some more info about the products involved, like current version you use, your operating system and PSI version. I'm pretty sure one of the many experienced forum members will help you later today.

--
PC: JJ Computer Services
Intel Core I3 2100 3.1Ghz
DDR3 Kingston ValueRam 4GB 1333
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits SP1
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 9
Mozilla Firefox 31NL

Laptop: MSI GT780DX
Intel Core I5-2450
DDR3 RAM 6GB
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 31NL
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Useless, wrong, pitiful
Handling Contributor 1st Nov, 2010 10:13
Score: 11793
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
@Leendert Kip

Nice idea but not sure anyone can or will want to help the originator with his/her lack of information on the problems & painful ignorance of what Secunia does.

Once we bury the inaccurate statements from the mind then effective repairs can be made.

1. FileHippo,CCNet & SUMo are general programme updaters. Secunia products only search for VULNERABILITIES on a system. They are totally uninterested in vendor updates that merely release bug fixes & cosmetic changes.

2. "Get a clue, figure out that something buried in Adobe CS4 is not being actively used"
Nice statement but where is the evidence that would convince Forum users to ignore this warning issued by Secunia?

3."and that some old version of Java that isn't used is Not a threat"

If this is correct why does Oracle Java publish this advice on their website?

EXTRACT FROM ORACLE JAVA SITE

We highly recommend users to remove all older versions of Java from your system.(IN BOLD RED PRINT)
Keeping old and unsupported versions of Java on your system presents a serious security risk.
Removing older versions of Java from your system ensures that Java applications will run with the most up-to-date security and performance improvements on your system.

4. To quantify & evaluate who is the "non-carbon based idiot non-lifeform" we need to know.

a. What OS & version of PSI being used.
b. The all important PATH to the vulnerability PSI has found.
c. Has a FULL rescan of PSI been completed after updating?
d. Has a reboot & rescan been tried?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+4
Leendert Kip Useless, wrong, pitiful
Member 1st Nov, 2010 10:29
Score: 70
User Since: 22nd Jan 2009
System Score: 100%
on 1st Nov, 2010 10:13, Maurice Joyce wrote:
Nice idea but not sure anyone can or will want to help the originator with his/her lack of information on the problems & painful ignorance of what Secunia does.

Hi Maurice,
I thought showing him that we in the Forum are nice and helpfull people will change his mind about PSI and stop using such wording. Just wait and see if he reply to this.

--
PC: JJ Computer Services
Intel Core I3 2100 3.1Ghz
DDR3 Kingston ValueRam 4GB 1333
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 9
Mozilla Firefox 31NL

Laptop: MSI GT780DX
Intel Core I5-2450
DDR3 RAM 6GB
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 31NL
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Maurice Joyce RE: Useless, wrong, pitiful
Handling Contributor 1st Nov, 2010 10:39
Score: 11793
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
In the meantime I am unsubscribing. A "tag on" dream thread with mail boxes filling by the minute!!

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+3
itsawinner2 RE: Useless, wrong, pitiful
Member 3rd Nov, 2010 14:12
Score: 0
User Since: 15th Feb 2010
Last edited on 3rd Nov, 2010 14:13
Good morning; I can kinda understand that other user frustration. I downloaded and run this Secunia PSI on the say so of Kim Komando. This is a brand new computer I purchased this time last year and I want to keep it as current as possible to avoid all the non-sense I've experienced with my last desktop.

Anyway I continue to get the same threats and I run the fixes until everything is 100% but why do I continue to get the same ones? Sun Java JRE 1.6.x / 6.x for example has been downloaded on this computer twice.

Other threats as many as 4 times. Do I need to keep reinstalling them?

Thanks for your time.

Be Well.

Stephen
Was this reply relevant?
+0
TiMow RE: Useless, wrong, pitiful
Dedicated Contributor 3rd Nov, 2010 14:19
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
Last edited on 3rd Nov, 2010 14:20
Please click on the following link, and in turn click on the link that's contained in one of my replies.

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/623...

Please read it all the way through - it might help you to see how this works, especially in relation to Java (3rd reply on the 2nd link).

TiMow

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer