xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Who's on the back burner ?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Open Discussions

This thread has been marked as resolved.
mogs Who's on the back burner ?
Expert Contributor 2nd Nov, 2010 08:14
Ranking: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr, 2009
System Score: 100%
Do these spammers get their forum membership too easily ?
Should there be no gaurantee of it being an automatic human right ?
What's the good of waking up in the morning if there's no cerial ?!
Who's got the bacon slicer ?
Let there be light ?!
I'm not changing my name to "Fuming" nor "Disgruntled".....I havn't got a badge says "I'm in the dark" ? It's no good fighting the tide ?

--

Post "RE: Who's on the back burner ?" has been selected as an answer.
TiMow RE: Who's on the back burner ?
Dedicated Contributor 2nd Nov, 2010 09:29
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
System Score: N/A
Hi mogs

This is becoming more than an annoyance.

The problem is, that this, and probably/possibly other forums are easy targets, enabling these spammers to reach a relatively high readership (one assumes) for the free advertising of whatever product they are pushing.

And, unfortunately, they appear to be getting viewed, and possibly some readers are even progressing beyond that. All the time that continues to happen, even if it produces just a small amount of business for them, then the situation looks likely to continue.

That's assuming that this spam is in fact legitimate, and not something more sinister. I for one, would not consider even sniffing at the links provided.

The posters of this spam have set up their profile locations as such places as China (CN), American Samoa (AS), and recently Afghanistan (AF),- without wishing to appear disrespectful to the peoples of these countries, I can't recall these as ever being renowned hotbeds for IT training materials.

So obviously, the intent is already one of deception - be it elaborate or just plain BS.

The problem is that it is extremely difficult, if not impossible, I would imagine, to set up filters that would prevent this spam from appearing. Users can be deleted, but new user-names created instantly. Key-words could also create blocks against such threads appearing, but would only give a temporary reprieve, if at all.
Complicated, more personalised forum registration could be introduced, but this could be easily countered, and could deter many legitimate posters.

Or, more stringent policing, by Secunia, of the forum, which would inevitably cost time and money, and possibly threaten aspects of the free service that is presently on offer.

Although, during normal Secunia business hours, they should try to always remove the spam, as sometimes, and not just lock them. Maybe the former is more difficult than the latter? Or, maybe a liberal approach to freedom of expression?

Regards

TiMow

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
mogs RE: Who's on the back burner ?
Expert Contributor 2nd Nov, 2010 10:07
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
Last edited on 2nd Nov, 2010 10:11
Thanks for the reply Ti Mow....
It's tantamount to a tradgedy, the way the forum is going : for all our concerns regarding rights etc.; I'm sure lots of users will cease to use it....confronted as they are with a face full of spam. It seems at times it's all that's on here.
I wouldn't mind so much if they were removed quickly.
The fact that they're given so much time and increasing room must be encouraging.
Why can't Contributors be given the power to nullify...in a similar way to the working of minus voting ...that way the SPAM wouldn't be sitting around over the weekend etc.?
The forum as it was and should be, is diminishing if the situation continues to be accepted ?
Discernment, discretion, and integrity can grow with Secunia if some were to be imbued with more trust ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Leendert Kip Who's on the back burner ?
Member 2nd Nov, 2010 10:19
Score: 70
User Since: 22nd Jan 2009
Last edited on 2nd Nov, 2010 10:20
Hi Mogs, yes, it's an annoyance, the least to say. But for me it's not a reason to stop reading the Forum because I can learn a lot here. The solution you gave to allow the users to give -points sothat the advertisements are minimised should help in someway.

--
PC: JJ Computer Services
Intel Core I3 2100 3.1Ghz
DDR3 Kingston ValueRam 4GB 1333
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits SP1
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 9
Mozilla Firefox 31NL

Laptop: MSI GT780DX
Intel Core I5-2450
DDR3 RAM 6GB
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits SP1
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 31NL
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Expert Contributor 2nd Nov, 2010 10:36
Last edited on 2nd Nov, 2010 10:38
Thanks Leendert.
I think back to when I was a newbie to computers and the forum....I spent months simply reading and familiarizing myself with as much as possible, before finding enough confidence to occasionally reply, and hopefully help resolve a user's problem.
As things stand these days....I might take one look and search for alternative sustenance ! Perseverence may be a laudible characteristic/attribute....but not in The Land of the One Eyed Man ?!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Dedicated Contributor 2nd Nov, 2010 10:55
Apart from the occasional specific requirement, I tend not to regularly review other forums, like I do this one - I only have limited time and capacity for further learning.

But what I have seen, is that many others are not so clear and user friendly, as this - and maybe don't attract an on-going general readership that I guess this forum may have.

Perhaps the Secunia Forum could be a victim of it's own popularity and/or success (?).

The consideration of Contributor vetting power, although worthy, is probably unlikely for the removal of threads. I'm not suggesting there's a danger of abuse or even misuse, but possible misinterpretation of content, in some instances (perhaps?).

Maybe a way of locking a thread (red padlock), even against viewing (and not just replying), and by so doing, relegating it off the front page to page 2. At a later stage Secunia can review such threads and take the appropriate action - full removal, or if needed, reversal of previous action.

TiMow

--
Was this reply relevant?
+5
Expert Contributor 2nd Nov, 2010 11:18
Yeah; I agree entirely with your post TiMow.......
Surely no-one would disagree with the last paragraph ?
Sharp/swift relegation to page two might be enough; full removal etc., could be considered/ activated at office hour's liesure ?
They do say...or I've seen it written...that with increased popularity comes more threat and adversity....so your assumption may well be correct.
I'm sure I've seen spam removed quicker on other Secunia working days !!!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Dedicated Contributor 2nd Nov, 2010 11:29
on 2nd Nov, 2010 11:18, mogs wrote:

I'm sure I've seen spam removed quicker on other Secunia working days !!!

on 2nd Nov, 2010 09:29, TiMow wrote:

Or, more stringent policing, by Secunia, of the forum, which would inevitably cost time and money, and possibly threaten aspects of the free service that is presently on offer.

Although, during normal Secunia business hours, they should try to always remove the spam, as sometimes, and not just lock them. Maybe the former is more difficult than the latter? Or, maybe a liberal approach to freedom of expression?

Could also be, that "forum duty" (for monitoring) isn't always continual, during business hours - sickness, holidays, other needs/duties to be covered; plus, when there's not so many problems appearing ......

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Expert Contributor 2nd Nov, 2010 11:48
Agreed...valid point....all the more reason for more deputies or Nightwatchpersons ?
They must surely be aware that the provision of "cheap meat" is getting out of hand ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+