Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: adobe flash 10.1 update

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Adobe Systems
And, this specific program:
Adobe Flash Player 10.x

This thread has been marked as resolved.
joesoap adobe flash 10.1 update
Member 5th Nov, 2010 12:16
Ranking: 3
User Since: 1st Aug, 2009
System Score: 100%
Hi, Here again with adobe flash update.PSI says update required, as usual, cannot use button, so I have unistalled it and tried downloading new version.However, cannot instal new version for some reason, tried disabling AV, never have before, still no success.Any advice would be most grateful. cheers

Post "RE: adobe flash 10.1 update" has been selected as an answer.
M.Hansen RE: adobe flash 10.1 update
Secunia Official 5th Nov, 2010 13:07
Score: 188
User Since: 26th Jan 2009
System Score: N/A
Hi

What version of the PSI are you using?

Is it all download links within the PSI that you can't you?

What happens when you click the download link?
joesoap RE: adobe flash 10.1 update
Member 5th Nov, 2010 13:21
Score: 3
User Since: 1st Aug 2009
Hi, Thanks for reply. Not sure what version I have, had it years.Whenever Adobe update comes via PSI, I always have to revert to uninstalling old version,then installing new version direct from Adobe, PSI button does not work.I am now having trouble installing new version direct from Adobe, "ERROR,existing version may be in use," that also applies to uninstaller, direct from Adobe.I don,t know why PSI won,t do the job?When I hover it says secure, do a scan "99%" ADOBE again.Hope this doesn,t bore you, cheers.IT,s either ADOBE or SUN JAVA, that PSI will not fix.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
TiMow RE: adobe flash 10.1 update
Dedicated Contributor 5th Nov, 2010 13:30
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
Last edited on 5th Nov, 2010 13:35
Hi joesoap

Not sure what might have happened, for you.

For the first time in many flash updates, I used the PSI (1.5.0.2) Download solution link - I normally use filehippo (http://www.filehippo.com/latest/), but as of time of writing the update(s) weren't available from there, yet.

The links provided by PSI, were as follows:
for ActiveX (IE)
http://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flashplayer/curren...
and for other browser plug-ins (NPAPI)
http://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flashplayer/curren...

and are the same as I have previously recommend to others, as they do not include Adobe Download Mgr. (DLM); and were installed in a matter of seconds, (on my XP) - having closed all flash dependent programs (all browsers, and PSI 1.5.0.2).
PSI noticed the update of ActiveX straight afterwards (through program monitoring), but NPAPI, only after re-scan.

I did notice on the Adobe Get Flash download site (http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/), that users may have to temporary disable anti-virus (don't recall seeing this before) - but you wrote that you already tried that.

Try the PSI download links that I've reproduced above, and if they still don't work, maybe check, from time to time, the filehippo link - they should be available soon (?).

Remember to use both IE and non-IE downloads,and close all browsers, messengers and PSI (if using 1.5.0.2).

TiMow

EDIT: This reply was written after seeing your initial post. In the time taken to type it I've seen your 2nd reply - it could be that you need to fully exit PSI - right click tray icon, then exit. N.B. It isn't necessary to run Adobe's uninstall flash, now, providing everything that uses flash is closed before running the installation (after downloading).

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 5th Nov, 2010 13:40
Hi TiMOW, cheers, I tried filehippo first, as you say, new one not available.Had to exit PSI to instal direct from Adobe, AV made no difference, always wary of that,disabling.I will retain your info, because, in a few weeks time, the same thing will happen, it,s happened too many times before, never had this much aggro though.Thanks to both of you for your advice, cheers
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 5th Nov, 2010 13:44
Your PSI version is found bottom right of PSI window - and also by the listing for Secunia PSI under Patched tab (1.5.0.0/1/2; Advanced mode).

Further to my above EDIT - you can check in Task Mgr. (Ctrl + Alt + Delete) to see if "psi.exe" is still running - if it is you can click End Process.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 5th Nov, 2010 13:51
Hi TiMOW, my version is v1.5.0.2 Is this latest version, or do Irequire update? Cheers
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 5th Nov, 2010 14:06
Hi joe

You have the latest stable version of PSI, with 1.5.0.2, although there is PSI 2.0 Beta (actually, 1.9.0.4001).

If unaware, this beta version includes automatic update facility, but because it is beta, then is still in (on-going) development stages with user (many thousands) feed back, and not yet full release.

I. personally, will not update to this until full release, but if you're interested to know more, see the following blog:

http://secunia.com/blog/123

TiMow

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 5th Nov, 2010 14:09
Thanks again TiMow, much appreciated,cheers
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability