Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: PSI prevents update

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
hmadsen PSI prevents update
Member 7th Nov, 2010 08:36
Ranking: 0
User Since: 7th Nov, 2010
System Score: N/A
Hi

Just about every time adobe updates flash player i have had very hard time getting it updated and getting PSI to shut up about it.

Every time i am told there is a new version i will press the update button and every time it will not make PSI say that i am updated so i decided to investigate.

It seems that the reson was that the old DLL file was locked and so i tried to close all browsers and live messenger down to free the file but i would still be refused to delete it manually because it was "in use"..

So ib found a small program on the net that could tell me what program was blocking the file and much to my surprice it was actually PSI that was blocking the file, making it impossible for the installer to replace it.

Also, when upgrading google chrome the chrome installer saves the previous version in a directory but does not use it... Presumably to let the user downgrade. This version is also detected by PSI even though it is not active so every time i upgrade google chrome i must also navigate through a rather long directory tree to manually delete the previous version. Would be nice if the scanner recognized that this is the backup directory where files are not run from....Or alternatively that PSI itself just deleted the old version when found at the set location.

Hmadsen

Post "RE: PSI prevents update" has been selected as an answer.
TiMow RE: PSI prevents update
Dedicated Contributor 7th Nov, 2010 09:08
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
Last edited on 7th Nov, 2010 09:17
I don't know if you're new to using PSI - your forum profile (on left of your post) indicates such.

You have discovered what many users already know - that flash only correctly updates, when all programs that use it are fully exited - all browsers, messenger and PSI (v.1.5.0.2 - right click tray icon, then exit). This is the version you appear to be using, because it is reliant on flash to display its graphics (hopefully, all green) on the first tab:
- in Simple mode -- "Secure your PC";
- in Advanced mode -- "Overview". If not already using Advanced mode, see top right of PSI window.

Also, Chrome is known for creating a new file with every update, leaving any previous file, which PSI will detect as insecure (if that is the status of the old file). This is a problem created by Google, and not Secunia.

If the old file is in the correct default location, then this should not be seen as a back up. It can still be a vulnerability, even if the latest update is actively used, and must be manually deleted.

PSI is a vulnerability checker to seek out any outdated software on your PC, that might be a security risk. I'm sure you really don't want this, or any other program, deleting files at will, on your PC. This isn't it's purpose.

When using PSI in Advanced mode, you can click on "[+]", on left of any program listing, where you will see more details to that program. One of the Toolbox icons is "Open Folder" - with one click, you can go straight to that file location. The same Open Folder option, should also be present on the right of any program flagged as insecure (again, Advanced mode).

If you are not aware, there is a new PSI v.2.0, in beta format, which includes auto update of programs (not all available, at this stage).

http://secunia.com/blog/123

TiMow

EDIT: from re-reading you post, you imply that you may have been using PSI for some time (just new to the forum). If this is correct, I'm surprised you weren't already aware of these minor issues.

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
hmadsen RE: PSI prevents update
Member 7th Nov, 2010 09:18
Score: 0
User Since: 7th Nov 2010
Hi

I am by no means a new user, i have been using it since the beginning and always found that it was annoying with the flash thing but only now did it bug me so much that i got around to asking about it.

I was not aware that PSI was actually using flash for the interface and it would have been fine if the program had given me some warning when pressing the download button for the flash about me having to keill PSI as well.

Have tried downloading version 2 beta, is it still the same with flash ??? Ie do i still need to exit PSI before updating or has this problem been solved in version 2 ?

Hmadsen
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 7th Nov, 2010 09:25
Just before your last post, I made an edit to my reply, which said that I thought you weren't a new user, in the end (see bottom of that post).

The new 2.0 beta version of PSI, is no longer reliant on flash, for the display of it's graphics, and therefore does not need to exited - this (in the case of flash) would be counter-productive for the auto-update facility; which is why, I believe, that Secunia has found an alternative display method.

TiMow

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
hmadsen RE: PSI prevents update
Member 7th Nov, 2010 09:36
Score: 0
User Since: 7th Nov 2010
Ok, great, i will update to beta 2 on all my computers to avoid this small inconvenience of having to shut it down.

Hmadsen
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 7th Nov, 2010 09:36
PSI 2.0 beta includes a user manual in the download. I agree, that it would have been beneficial, if previous versions had the same.

I learnt a lot through trial and error, and following this forum, but I'm sure there must be many users, who may not be aware of all the functions of the PSI program, because there is no point of reference.

TiMow

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+