xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI 2.0 Beta

This thread has been marked as locked.
E.Jeppesen Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Secunia Official 9th Nov, 2010 15:59
Ranking: 220
User Since: 24th Nov, 2008
System Score: N/A
Secunia PSI 2.0 beta version 1.9.0.5004 has now been released.

We would like to thank all the voluntary beta testers who have contributed to the further development of the Secunia PSI with comments and suggestions. Please continue all the great feedback so we can have all the sharp edges covered for the release of the final version.

For details on the release, please see the change log:
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Please download the latest PSI 2.0 beta here:
http://secunia.com/PSI2SetupBeta.exe

Leendert Kip Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 9th Nov, 2010 17:53
Score: 70
User Since: 22nd Jan 2009
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 9th Nov, 2010 17:55
Fine! Intstallation went OK. The only warning I got was a pop-up telling me that sua.exe couldn't be opened. Looking into taskmanager I found several instances of sua.exe active, stopped manually, problem solved. What is sua.exe? and why are there several instances? For the rest, everything OK. Good work!

--
PC: JJ Computer Services
Intel Core I3 2100 3.1Ghz
DDR3 Kingston ValueRam 4GB 1333
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits SP1
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 9
Mozilla Firefox 31NL

Laptop: MSI GT780DX
Intel Core I5-2450
DDR3 RAM 6GB
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 31NL
Was this reply relevant?
+0
HQuest RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 9th Nov, 2010 23:37
Score: 2
User Since: 11th Nov 2009
Last edited on 9th Nov, 2010 23:41
No IE9 love yet? :(

"Determining missing Microsoft security patches" (step 7 of 8) is waaay slower than it used to be @ 1.5.0.2. A full scan of my system in v1.5 takes no longer than 2mins and detects near 100 apps, while v2.0 Beta takes over 5 times more and shorts list by 20 apps. Plus, the scan progress indicator keeps spinning even after scan complete message is displayed and closed. In fact, even after I close the systray icon and open it from the Windows Start menu, again providing my admin password, the spinning icon is still there, well, spinning :P

Finally, thumbs up for the non-admin access. But thumbs down on the implementation. It checks for Internet connectivity and download results data every time app is opened from systray, slowering down the entire result window. Makes no sense, after all, app is already running with Administrator rights -- it asked me my admin password to startup. How was this supposed to work, your way (assuming I am doing the wrong way)?

--
Core i5 750, 8Gb RAM, W7 Ultimate x64
Was this reply relevant?
+2
smurphdude RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Contributor 10th Nov, 2010 07:16
Score: 107
User Since: 13th Aug 2010
Bug present since 1.5.0.2 that causes PSI to crash on launch on XP SP3 machines when the Advanced Text Services option "handwriting recognition - drawing pad" installed is still present.

Still no reporting of unpatched vulnerabilities on main results page outside of Secure Browsing Tab....unfortunate imho....and means I'm probably going to revert to 1.5.0.2 as the automatic updates are of no interest to me.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
E.Jeppesen RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Secunia Official 10th Nov, 2010 09:55
Score: 220
User Since: 24th Nov 2008
@Leendert Kip
The sua.exe process has to do with the auto-update functionality. I have not been able to reproduce the issue you describe yet but thank you for reporting it. We will look into it.

@HQuest
The Secunia PSI do not monitor beta software, Release Candidates, Alpha versions etc. That is why Internet Explorer 9 is not detected yet. Feel free to send us a software suggestion as soon as it leaves the beta stage.

Regarding the new functionality, please see the changelog:
“Actions like installing security patches usually always require administrative privileges, thus if you wish to open the Secunia PSI interface for the full details you will still be prompted for administrative privileges.”

Just to make it clear; Secunia PSI 2.0 detects as many or more programs than the previous versions. The way the programs are counted however has changed. With several versions of the same program detected, only the latest and active version will be included in the count on the Dashboard. The number next to each program in the Scan Results tab will show how many instances of the program that has been detected. Clicking the “+” next to each program will show the installation path of the program(s). You can also double-click each program for further details.

Thank you all for letting us know about the issues you come across.
HQuest RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 10th Nov, 2010 10:15
User Since: 11th Nov 2009
@E.Jeppesen: I understand about the false "less programs detections", I noticed the program count column, which make final numbers actually match the numbers found on v1.5. Issue, however, is still how long scan takes to finish. That is sluggish.

And regarding IE9, the reminder is just for the missing fancy graph bars on dashboard, not to have it listed (or not) under Secure Browser tab.

Thanks.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Secunia Official 10th Nov, 2010 10:27
@HQuest
I have just completed scanning on 3 different Windows systems, XP, Vista and 7, and all scans completed at least as fast as with previous versions of the PSI. I can't tell why it takes longer for you as a lot of factors specific for your computer and internet connection could cause it.
Saltydawg RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 10th Nov, 2010 14:56
Score: 0
User Since: 29th Oct 2009
I have been using PSI for about a year and love many of it's features BUT, it totally jams up my computer with constant scans that I do not want. The worst time is when I first boot up my computer, PSI will come on at the same time as MY MOST IMPORTANT SOFTWARE like my Norton 360 Premier, if I don't shut down PSI 2.0 BETA to let my computer start up, it will jam up my computer and will keep me from using it for hours!!!! I put PSI into delay so that my normal security and windows operating system can open first but when I open it to let it run it's checks, it will automatically put itself back on the list to start up on boot. I love what it ultimately does for maintaining my software but, if I cannot control it as the Administrator, I will uninstall it and install CNET's Tech Tracker. Even now it is freezing up my computer, I type at about 50 WPM but right now it is letting me go at about 10 WPM. I'm starting to believe that it is NOT WORTH THE HASSLE!!! I am a soon to be ex-customer.
Was this reply relevant?
+4
Terradon RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 10th Nov, 2010 16:44
Score: 9
User Since: 24th Sep 2009
When I restarted after installing the latest MS patches, I saw a quick popup that there was a new release of secunia PSI 2.0. Not knowing if the popup meant that PSI was updating itself or if I had to do something, I opened the dashboard. No messages there, so I scrolled through the Scan Results. I finally reach PSI and it says patched and up-to-date. With more digging, the Detected Version was not the latest.

So, I have 2 suggestions.
1) there needs to be a date of when the patch was applied. That missing piece of information would have made it much quicker for me to determine just how Up-to-date the program really is.

2) PSI either needs to include itself in auto-updates, or provide a message on the dashboard that it needs to be updated manually, with a link to do so.

--
Don
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1
Intel Core 2Quad 8GB RAM 1000mb lan to cable
Was this reply relevant?
+7

sneex

RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
[+]
This reply has been minimised due to a negative Relevancy Score.
Italia RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 10th Nov, 2010 17:28
Score: 1
User Since: 21st Apr 2010
System Score: 98%
Thanks for the new release. Everything, so far, works. However, I note there are now two Secunia icons in the Windows 7 Notification Area Icon (System tray) -- on is labeled "Secunia PSI" and the other "Secunia PSI Tray."

How do I remove one of these icons? Do I just select "Hide icon and notification"? In that case, will there be more of these Secunia icons for each new release?
Was this reply relevant?
+1
sweatynumbthumb RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 10th Nov, 2010 17:30
Score: 6
User Since: 20th Feb 2010
Installation was quick and problem-free(as usual).
Like the added options on set-up.
Thorough, user-friendly and gives that extra level of security.
Plus it's FREE!

Keep up the good work, Emil. Many Thanks.

--
sweatynumbthumb
hp pavilion
vista 32-bit
3gb ram / +1gb readyboost
Was this reply relevant?
+3
kaspersky team RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 10th Nov, 2010 18:47
User Since: 30th Oct 2010
Last edited on 10th Nov, 2010 18:48
Hi,

Thanks & congrats to devs and all the testers!!!

No problem for now here ...Windows 7 Premium ~ 6.01.7601 Service Pack 1 RC,v.721

I think this 1.9.5004 it's enough stable ...anyway I hope minor bugswill be fixed soon.

Best regard

--
Beta testing:

Windows 7 Premium ~ 6.01.7601 Service Pack 1 RC,v.721
Kaspersky antivirus 2011 ~ 11.0.2.556 (a) RC
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50 ~ Beta 1.46.195
Sécunia PSI 2 ~ 1.9.0.5004 Beta
ClearCloud DNS ~ Beta

Help:

- Topic in French (PC Astuces-Forum)

http://forum.pcastuces.com/secunia_psi_20_soucisin...

- Tutorial Sécunia PSI 1.5

http://forum.pcastuces.com/tutoriel___secunia_psi-...
Was this reply relevant?
+2
secuniageorge RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 10th Nov, 2010 23:19
User Since: 20th Sep 2010
Last edited on 10th Nov, 2010 23:25
thanks for the new release. An issue carrying over from the previous Beta is a lack of coordination between PSI and the user installing updates.

To explain: I noticed PSI had downloaded an update for Adobe Flash and displayed the message: "update scheduled". When I dbl clicked on the software for more info and clicked "install/apply update ", a browser window opened and the update was re-downloaded for me to install instead of PSI just running the already downloaded update.

Can I suggest
- an "apply now" button if an update is already downloaded and scheduled which will just run the background update.
- perhaps there should be a "cancel auto-update and download update myself" button, if people really want to DIY.
- Can a time be shown in the settings or next to the auto update, for when the scheduled update will take place. (I was waiting to see the update run and when nothing happened, I tried the "install update" option)

regards
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Skeptia-9 RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 11th Nov, 2010 11:37
Score: 42
User Since: 15th Mar 2010
Under "Are you missing a program?" on the "Scan Results" page of the new PSI 1.9.0.5004 Beta, the "Program" box at the top of the form does not seem to be working, so I am making a suggestion here.

Please consider adding the Virus Total Uploader Utility, version 2.0 to the PSI's database. The main .exe of the program is "VirusTotalUpload2.exe".

PSI 1.9.0.5004 Beta correctly identifies VTzilla 1.0, the Firefox extension; but it does not recognize the stand-alone uploader utility. The Virus Total reference is found at the following address on the "VT Uploader" tab:

http://www.virustotal.com/advanced.html

Also, I have questions concerning the right-click context menu of the new Beta's tray icon. I don't anticipate the need to shut down the PSI very often; however, when the need occurs, how do I exit Secunia's PSI? Is there a way to exit the program without clicking through Configuration > Settings and removing the tick from the box beside "Start the Secunia PSI on boot" followed by restarting my PC? Should I use the Task Manager to kill "psia.exe"? What do the experts recommend as best practice?

And one final observation: It is not pleasant to look at "Verifying internet connection ... Interface is loading ... Waiting for data to load ... Data successfully loaded ..." over and over and over and over again. I am trying to grow accustomed to minimizing the PSI to the task bar instead of the system tray, so it won't unnecessarily reload its GUI each time I need/want to refer to my list of patched programs, or consult the secure browsing page.

Thank you for the opportunity to offer feedback.

Best regards,
Skeptia-9

WinXP Home SP3, 32-bit
Secunia PSI 1.9.0.5004 Beta
Was this reply relevant?
+1

sneex

[+]
J-R RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 11th Nov, 2010 17:31
User Since: 28th Apr 2009
on 10th Nov, 2010 16:44, Terradon wrote:

2) PSI either needs to include itself in auto-updates, or provide a message on the dashboard that it needs to be updated manually, with a link to do so.

Agree.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Mr_Peter RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 11th Nov, 2010 20:04
User Since: 11th Nov 2010
on 11th Nov, 2010 11:37, Skeptia-9 wrote:
Also, I have questions concerning the right-click context menu of the new Beta's tray icon. I don't anticipate the need to shut down the PSI very often; however, when the need occurs, how do I exit Secunia's PSI? Is there a way to exit the program without clicking through Configuration > Settings and removing the tick from the box beside "Start the Secunia PSI on boot" followed by restarting my PC? Should I use the Task Manager to kill "psia.exe"? What do the experts recommend as best practice?

The PSI is now running as two Windows Services.

I'm not sure how or why this is better. Could some one from Secunia offer an explanation please?

In answer to your question, you would need to open services (click the start button, start typing services and select it when it comes up), find the Secunia PSI Agent and the Secunia Update Agent and stop them both. Also, right click on the tray icon and select close.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
mogs RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Expert Contributor 11th Nov, 2010 20:05
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
I've got "Show detailed program changes " checked, but the notification balloon is only reporting the number. E.g. :- 1x Program change.....no name nor version shown.
I'm tending to look at the new version with an appreciative eye or two....I don't think I'm known for overmuch praise nor flattery....it's absolutely brilliant Secunia !!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+5
java007 RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 11th Nov, 2010 20:25
User Since: 28th Jun 2009
on 11th Nov, 2010 20:04, Mr_Peter wrote:
The PSI is now running as two Windows Services.

I'm not sure how or why this is better. Could some one from Secunia offer an explanation please?

In answer to your question, you would need to open services (click the start button, start typing services and select it when it comes up), find the Secunia PSI Agent and the Secunia Update Agent and stop them both. Also, right click on the tray icon and select close.

Removing the option to kill the program directly via the tray icon is a step backwards. That functionality should be restored in the next beta.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
mzqyl RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 11th Nov, 2010 21:33
User Since: 10th Sep 2010
I haven't installed this yet but as one of the people who brought up the standard user versus admin issue some weeks back, I just wanted to comment that it's nice to see that this issue is getting attention.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Sakerhet RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 12th Nov, 2010 00:27
Score: 7
User Since: 11th Jun 2008
I have been running this version a couple of times now and I have noted some things that I would like to share:

1) Why does psi.exe connect to activate.adobe.com? I don’t know exactly what that site does but it seems to be a place used by adobe to register their software. If so I really can’t understand why PSI needs to communicate with the site?

2) Psi.exe uses a lot of CPU (30-50% of available CPU) even when it is not scanning. What does it do with 17-21 threads while just showing the dashboard page?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
kathys RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 12th Nov, 2010 03:06
User Since: 12th Nov 2010
on 12th Nov, 2010 00:27, Sakerhet wrote:
I have been running this version a couple of times now and I have noted some things that I would like to share:

2) Psi.exe uses a lot of CPU (30-50% of available CPU) even when it is not scanning. What does it do with 17-21 threads while just showing the dashboard page?

I was just going to ask the same thing. Install went smoothly but my fan is kicking into high every 3-4 seconds and it's extremely disruptive since my tower sits on my desk. I went to right click on the tray icon to shut PSI down until I researched the "problem" and I see now we have no quick shut down option.

Is there a fix for the constant internet check that's using up 50% CPU every few seconds? Regarding the quick shut down, I suppose I can use task manager for that....
Was this reply relevant?
+0
IcI RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - Feature request
Member 12th Nov, 2010 11:15
Score: 8
User Since: 13th Jan 2010
Hi.
Would it be possible to build in a comparison between a normal status and a status ignoring all "Ignore" rules?

This would be a comparision of what I know / have selected and "the worst case scenario"

Thanks.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Boerge Madsen RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 12th Nov, 2010 15:17
User Since: 8th Jun 2008
I have installed the new beta. But the timestamp, when I have scanned my computer is not correct!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Midnight_Voice RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 12th Nov, 2010 15:31
Score: 50
User Since: 1st Oct 2010
System Score: 96%
Where's the exact version number displayed now?

On the previous Beta release, as you kindly told me, it was there when you right-clicked the tray icon.

Now I can't find it there, and I can't find it in the program proper either.

--
A computer program can do pretty much anything the user doesn't know is impossible for it to do.

XP Home 32-bit - Compaq Presario V2000 Celeron 1.4GHz
Vista Ultimate 32-bit - Toshiba Equium A100 Centrino Duo 1.7GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - Dell Studio XPS 1645 Core i7-720 Quad 1.6-2.4GHz
(Also running XP Pro in Windows XP Mode 32-bit)
Windows 8.1 Home Premium 64-bit - Lenovo IdeaPad Z500 Core i5 2.6Ghz
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Expert Contributor 12th Nov, 2010 15:42
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

For MidnightVoice ,

My right click tray icon popup menu shows "About" as the middle link of three and when selected shows version N°#1.9.0.5004 .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 12th Nov, 2010 15:50
Last edited on 12th Nov, 2010 15:51
on 12th Nov, 2010 15:17, Boerge Madsen wrote:
I have installed the new beta. But the timestamp, when I have scanned my computer is not correct!

Do you mean that you see a difference of 7 hours? If that's the case, don't worry. This happens now and then and, as far as I experienced, there's no real problem and Secunia PSI functions normally. Running a new scan some time later solves it.

--
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 9
Mozilla Firefox 31NL

Intel Core I5-2450
DDR3 RAM 6GB
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 31NL
Was this reply relevant?
+0
gladstone03 RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 12th Nov, 2010 16:12
User Since: 14th Dec 2009
I was away from the computer and just returned to see a message that Secunia had detected a change. That is a good thing. However, I missed what it said and then could not determine how to find out what changed. It would be real helpful if there was a screen within Secuna that would display a log of changes that were detected.

Gary
Was this reply relevant?
+0
kskleinapd RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 12th Nov, 2010 16:16
Score: 3
Last edited on 12th Nov, 2010 16:17
System : Home Built
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz
Installed Memory: 8GB

Installed beta version 1.9.0.4001 this morning on top of previous 2.0 version (unsure of exact previous version, but auto updates were configured.) Came up to prompt for new system scan, started scan then immediately clicked on dashboard and received:

ERROR: TypeError
Function: util.switchPage
File: undefined
Line: Undefined
Description: 'length' is null or not an object

My guess is that had I waited for the initial scan to complete, it probably creates a file that dashboard relies upon, but you could probably trap and handle it better or lock out the dashboard until the first update completes.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Expert Contributor 12th Nov, 2010 16:21
Last edited on 12th Nov, 2010 16:27
For @kskleinapd ;

The latest Beta from the link in the OP at the top of this thread is 1.9.0.5004 ; your ..4001 version is the previous one .
The error you record is a known bug and requires you to exit via the PSI tray icon and reload from all programmes . You may need to repeat the process .

All the same , I would update first .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Member 12th Nov, 2010 16:28
on 12th Nov, 2010 15:42, Anthony Wells wrote:
For MidnightVoice ,

My right click tray icon popup menu shows "About" as the middle link of three and when selected shows version N°#1.9.0.5004 .

Anthony

Thanks.

First place I looked - like you, I see the About, between Open Secunia PSI and Close Tray Icon.

But on my Windows 7 Premium 64-bit laptop (if that's relevant) running IE9 (if that's relevant, as I see that having IE9 still means no stats on the graphs in the Dashboard :-( ), with a 1920 * 1080 screen display (if that's relevant)

all I see is:-

About Secunia PSI Tray (in the title bar, followed by)

(Secunia Secunia PSI Tray Version
logo
here) (c) 2010 Secunia. All rights

In order to facilitate......Adler.

(where the last is a 4-line sentence stretching right across the dialogue box, and looks complete).

But looking at it again, maybe you see the version number on that first line, where mine is cut off?

And my second line surely ought to continue with 'reserved' at least - what does yours have there?

It looks like something is screwing up the display I see by truncatiing or overlaying the first two lines :-(

--
A computer program can do pretty much anything the user doesn't know is impossible for it to do.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 12th Nov, 2010 16:38

Hello MV ,

I'm32 bit XP Home . I get the first N° -as in - 1 of 1.9.0.5004 starting above the letters "ts" of ...rights... and the rest over "reserved" and ending in sync ; as you correctly assumed . The 4 and the "d" are over the "n" of .... transmission ... in the 4 liner .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 12th Nov, 2010 17:04
I downloaded and updated and now no version displays. The initial scan problem was, however, not noticed.

The About screen (from right click on tray notification) looks like this now:

------ About Secunia PSI Tray -----------------------------------------------

Secunia PSI Tray Version

(c) 2010 Secunia. All Rights

In order to facilitate the transmission of large amounts of data between your
network devices and Secunia's servers, the Secunia PSI
makes use of the alib general purpose compression library, Copyright (C)
1995-2007 Jean-loup Gally and mark Adler.

[ OK ]

-------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 12th Nov, 2010 17:37
Last edited on 12th Nov, 2010 17:41
on 12th Nov, 2010 17:04, kskleinapd wrote:
I downloaded and updated and now no version displays. The initial scan problem was, however, not noticed.

The About screen (from right click on tray notification) looks like this now:

------ About Secunia PSI Tray -----------------------------------------------

Secunia PSI Tray Version

(c) 2010 Secunia. All Rights

In order to facilitate the transmission of large amounts of data between your
network devices and Secunia's servers, the Secunia PSI
makes use of the 'zlib' general purpose compression library, Copyright (C)
1995-2007 Jean-loup Gally and Mark Adler.

[ OK ]

-------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------

Yep, that looks just like mine, allowing for the forum having inserted a couple of line wraps.

So, why the differences from what Anthony sees, which I'd expect is what we are supposed to see, but don't - OS, screen resolution?

What OS are you on, and what's your screen resolution?

@Anthony, I know you're on XP - what's your screen resolution?

Regards

M_V

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
ELBE RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 12th Nov, 2010 17:50
Score: 4
User Since: 20th Jul 2009
Running 1.9.0.5004 on XP Sp3 finds 1 program end-of-life = 99% score in the Dashboard, while same time in the system tray hovering on icon 100% is displayed. Would not open to Dashboard and might miss the end-of-life program. Should be fixed - seems to be a bug not seen before in former betas
Was this reply relevant?
+0
TiMow RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Dedicated Contributor 12th Nov, 2010 18:06
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
on 12th Nov, 2010 16:28, Midnight_Voice wrote:

But on my Windows 7 Premium 64-bit laptop (if that's relevant) running IE9 (if that's relevant, as I see that having IE9 still means no stats on the graphs in the Dashboard :-( ), with a 1920 * 1080 screen display (if that's relevant)

@Midnight Voice

I think I remember reading about the "no stats on the graph" coming up before, with the previous PSI beta.
This, I believe, is due to the fact that you are running IE9 beta , which, being beta, PSI doesn't recognise,

Secunia are aware to this and in the past have advised, either, living without the stats (for now), or reverting back to IE8.

This may also explain the discrepancy relating to the display of version numbers, that you have discussed with Anthony.

TiMow

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Expert Contributor 12th Nov, 2010 18:10

MV ,

My PC screen resolution is 1024 x 768 @60Hz displayed on a 32'' - 80cm - flat screen TV monitor .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Nov, 2010 18:15
on 12th Nov, 2010 18:06, TiMow wrote:
@Midnight Voice

I think I remember reading about the "no stats on the graph" coming up before, with the previous PSI beta.
This, I believe, is due to the fact that you are running IE9 beta , which, being beta, PSI doesn't recognise,

Secunia are aware to this and in the past have advised, either, living without the stats (for now), or reverting back to IE8.

This may also explain the discrepancy relating to the display of version numbers, that you have discussed with Anthony.

TiMow

We're perhaps fortunate then that IE9 does not return the compliment and refuse to allow the PSI Beta to download :-)

I trust that PSI have looked at this situation, and determined that the lack of graphs is caused by a bug in IE9, rather than in PSI, and have duly reported the IE9 bug to Microsoft, in the expectation that some later IE9 release will work with PSI, and that no change in PSI is therefore appropriate?

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 12th Nov, 2010 18:18

Hello @ELBE ,

Something akin to your problem has arisen here :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/633...

As Secunia will have gone for the weekend , try a tray icon exit and reload from All Programmes . This will still leave the "psia.exe" and the "sua" processes running and displayed in "Task Manager" . A manual close of these may or may not help - try without doing so first .

Let us know how you go .

Anthony.

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 12th Nov, 2010 18:25
Last edited on 12th Nov, 2010 18:30
To All ,

The PSI Beta(s) "incompatability graphics wise" with IE9 is well known to Secunia and they are quite unable to rectify the problem from their end . It is not a question of Beta recognition by the PSI ; but rather more the dev stage of the IE 9 programme's functions .

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Expert Contributor 12th Nov, 2010 18:39

For M_V ,

Have tried setting your screen resolution but that gives a me black screen and needed Ctrl+Alt+Del to recover my "default" , so no help to you there .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Italia RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 12th Nov, 2010 18:42
User Since: 21st Apr 2010
Last edited on 12th Nov, 2010 18:44
Regarding the additional Secunia icon in Notification Icons (System Tray) in Windows 7 -- I've resolved the problem. This is NOT a problem caused by Secunia's installation process, it's that of how Windows 7 install its applications.

To remove/clear these past notification icons require a registry edit, which I did with success.

Secunia PSI remains one of favourite utility programs.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 12th Nov, 2010 19:31
In response to Midnight Voice.

Running:
Windows 7 Professional, 64-Bit
Dual Monitors
Primary Display: 1680 x 1050 in Landscape Orientation
Extended Display: 1440 x 900 in Landscape orientation

Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 12th Nov, 2010 20:54
on 12th Nov, 2010 18:39, Anthony Wells wrote:
For M_V ,

Have tried setting your screen resolution but that gives a me black screen and needed Ctrl+Alt+Del to recover my "default" , so no help to you there .

Anthony

Thanks

It's a pretty high resolution that my XP and Vista machines can't get near, though that's due to the limitations of the hardware rather than the OS.

So no surprises you couldn't reach it.

However, I can drop to your resolution, and I have; and the result is the exact same box with the version missing, etc.

Just bigger on my screen :-)

I'm going to put this beta on my Vista laptop, since the last one seemed as stable as I need, and I'll post results later.

Stop Press: given kskleinapd's results, it looks like the common factor in this problem might be Windows 7

M_V

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Nov, 2010 21:00
@Anthony

The 'About' screen appears as it should on Vista Ultimate at 1280 * 1024.

This machine also has IE8 on it, FWIW

M-V

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Nov, 2010 21:01
on 12th Nov, 2010 19:31, kskleinapd wrote:
In response to Midnight Voice.

Running:
Windows 7 Professional, 64-Bit
Dual Monitors
Primary Display: 1680 x 1050 in Landscape Orientation
Extended Display: 1440 x 900 in Landscape orientation

Cheers for that.

What version of IE are you running?

M_V

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Nov, 2010 22:07
on 12th Nov, 2010 21:01, Midnight_Voice wrote:
Cheers for that.

What version of IE are you running?

M_V

I'm running IE8 (8.0.7600.16385)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
JimG RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 13th Nov, 2010 16:51
User Since: 8th Apr 2008
I got a notice that a new beta was available when I booted this morning. I downloaded the new version and it installed with no problems.

I then noted that my cpu load was over 50% on both cpu's. I opened Process Explorer and found that psia.exe was responsible for 50% load on both cpu's. I also noted that psia.exe was downloading from psi.secunia.com/https every 3 seconds or so. It had downloaded over 500k bytes in less that 10 minutes.

When I suspended the psia.exe task, this activity stopped. Upon resuming the task, it returned. I consider this much load on my system unacceptable. What is happening? Where is all that downloaded data going. No other program that I run requires this much cpu activity except my backup program and it is doing large disk accesses on two disks.

I will terminate the psia.exe task until this is fixed.

JimG

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 13th Nov, 2010 17:38

Hello Jim ,

You are not the first to report something similar . I personally would create a new thread under PSI 2.0 Beta (see lhs of this page) to ensure that Secunia pick this up , as it seems a significant "bug" rather than simple feedback .

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+3

derelict

[+]
UsernameUnavailable RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 14th Nov, 2010 03:12
Score: 15
User Since: 14th Nov 2010
How do you change settings? Under settings there's a number of checkboxes, but there's no save or apply button. If I change any of the checkboxes, and the close and reopen the program, the changes has not been saved.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
jfreibe RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 14th Nov, 2010 04:51
User Since: 5th Dec 2008
Last edited on 14th Nov, 2010 04:54
Just experienced this same scenario (same error message) with the latest release, 1.9.0.5004. The scan appeared to complete fully, but the results were 0%. Prior to this update, my status was 100%, green icon, with build 4001.

I used Revo Uninstaller on this build (5004), rebooted, performed a clean install, with the same build (5004), same results.

Will await a Beta update to fix this error, hopefully, soon.
Was this reply relevant?
+3
floys RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 14th Nov, 2010 09:56
same for me!
Was this reply relevant?
+1
floys RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 14th Nov, 2010 09:57
on 14th Nov, 2010 04:51, jfreibe wrote:
Just experienced this same scenario (same error message) with the latest release, 1.9.0.5004. The scan appeared to complete fully, but the results were 0%. Prior to this update, my status was 100%, green icon, with build 4001.

I used Revo Uninstaller on this build (5004), rebooted, performed a clean install, with the same build (5004), same results.

same for me!
Was this reply relevant?
+1
zendo RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 14th Nov, 2010 10:33
User Since: 19th Sep 2010
on 14th Nov, 2010 04:51, jfreibe wrote:

I have the same problem (on vista).

Was this reply relevant?
+0
mz500r RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 14th Nov, 2010 10:57
User Since: 20th Jun 2010
same here on windows 7 :(

Error: TypeError
Line: undefined
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Expert Contributor 14th Nov, 2010 11:08

Hi ,

For those with the 0% error , it is likely a server problem . It seems resolved for some :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/635...

but not for others , like me :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/635...

you will nee to be patient :))

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expatrice47 RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 14th Nov, 2010 11:09
I'm experiencing the same issue on two PC's with Windows 7 Home Edition previously reported as fully patched by PSI 2.0 Beta.
Error: TypeError
Line: undefined
Uninstalled/reinstalled no change same error. Results report 0 programs and 0 percent.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 14th Nov, 2010 11:12
Last edited on 14th Nov, 2010 11:13
@Expatrice

See my post above yours .

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
billgus RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 14th Nov, 2010 11:15
User Since: 25th May 2009
I received the same 0% scan results and "TypeError" message with the previous beta build. In that case, exiting the program (by right-clicking the tray icon) and restarting PSI solved the problem. I had the same problem (again!) with this latest beta build- and now with the added bonus of you guys removing the exit option! I seem to have gotten PSI back through restarting PSI through the 'Services' menu in Windows, but you should really bring back the right-click exit option since this error seems to be an ongoing problem.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mz500r RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 14th Nov, 2010 11:16
User Since: 20th Jun 2010
hah just started working ok :)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 14th Nov, 2010 11:34

Hi All ,

Mine is back to 100% as well :))

@billgus ,

In the icon menu (on an XP SP3 system as default Admin) I have a "close tray icon" option which closes the PSI display and the psi.exe ; leaving the psia.exe and the sua.exe running . I have to "restart" from "All Programmes" .

Is this different on your OS ??

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
billgus RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 14th Nov, 2010 12:08
User Since: 25th May 2009
I guess this time it was just 'server problems" causing the error. I'm not sure if "close tray icon" in this beta functions the same as "exit program" in the last beta. I thought exiting the program stopped all services, but closing the tray icon would let some services continue- just without the notifications. I really didn't check to see what PSI services were stopped with the exit option in the the last beta. All I know is it solved the problem. This time, it seems my restarting PSI through the 'Services' menu probably just coincided with the server coming back online!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 14th Nov, 2010 12:17

Closing the PSI with the red [x] in the PSI display closes the psi.exe but leaves the psia.exe , the sua.exe and the psi_tray.exe so you can reload from the tray , but you get the annoying full restart splash screen ; so for now I minimise the display rather than close to icon as before - most annoying when I forget .

The 0% error seemed to not load the sua.exe or that may have been consequential .

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expatrice47 RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 14th Nov, 2010 12:18
Same here PSI 2.0 Beta is up and running normally on both of my Win7 Home systems.
The previous UtilswitchPage error seems indeed to have been server associated.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
zendo RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 14th Nov, 2010 18:13
User Since: 19th Sep 2010
yes its working again.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
OldDuffer RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 14th Nov, 2010 18:38
Score: -3
User Since: 10th Mar 2008
Dear Secunia

Thank you Thank-you

Just installed the latest beta version and wow, you have made me happy as now my computer takes 1.5 minutes to scan. Before it took 11+ minutes to scan. Thank you for the ability to not scan drives rather than ignore the scan results.

Want to know why! look at this post - http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/514...

So problem one is cured.

Problem two remains but I think I have an answer.
Create a new profile with a different name for each HyperOs system.

--
ttfn
Bob
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ELBE RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 15th Nov, 2010 12:09
User Since: 20th Jul 2009
Last edited on 15th Nov, 2010 12:11
Following your advise closed PSI via tray icon + restarted it from All Programs. Same as before 100% system score in tray icon (green) but 99% in the Dashboard (yellow).
Ended psia.exe and sua.exe via Task Manager + restarted from All Programs.
Discrepancy in score display 100% vs. 99% remains

not seen on any other of my systems neither Win 7 nor other XP SP3 - only on 1 XP XP3

Ignore rules contain 4 programs and 1 drive - no other idea what might make it special
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 15th Nov, 2010 15:28

Hello ELBE ,

MaritimeRider has a similar problem reported here :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/633...

Don't know what the answer is ; as I remember some people have had problems in the past in getting their % display here on the Forum to match that of their PSI .

You may have to wait for Secunia to pick this up ; can't say when that will be - they seem otherwise occupied atm .

take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
thedillpickl RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Contributor 17th Nov, 2010 21:39
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
Hi All;

Skimmed the last part of this thread, did not see any posts with my concern.

On my Acer netbook with the tiny screen (size = 8.6" with 1024 x 600 aspect ratio), the dashboard is still muddled up. http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/8923/psisuggest...

I'm not sure if this has already been discussed and/or what the resolution is/will be. This should affect a number of users, I would think.

Regards;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 17th Nov, 2010 22:01
Last edited on 17th Nov, 2010 22:04
Hi Fred ,

I have not seen this reported with this version , but resolution problems have been reported with other pre -Beta versions - some time ago ; I think Secunia did try to deal with them but I don't recall the result . I think it is why you now get sliders and you didn't before !!

I can reproduce your sliders and the "week" jumble if I "mid-size" down the display - centre link top rhs - and drag in the corners or sides of the display using the "moose" which is "loose" (only one "o" usually).

My resolution is 1024 x 780 on 32" .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
thedillpickl RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Contributor 18th Nov, 2010 06:26
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
Hi Ant;

Should be current ver. 1.9.0.5004 , I believe the netbooks screen size was what brought about the sliders. I could live with the info under the green poles being unreadable (I know what they indicate), the horizontal sliders make me nuts though. I don't mind scrolling up & down, but the left to right is unnecessary if the boxes were narrowed up a bit. This wouldn't affect the amount of information displayed at all.

The only other display option on this little bugger is 800 X 600 (whoa!).

Sorry to hear the "Moose is loose in the hoose". :)

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
renman RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 18th Nov, 2010 13:47
User Since: 6th Oct 2009
Last edited on 18th Nov, 2010 13:50
The latest release found this:

Adobe Flash Player 10.x (NPAPI) 1 Insecure 10.1.85.3 (NPAPI) 10.1.102.64 (NPAPI) Install Solution
Detected Instances:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF32.dll, version 10.1.85.3 (NPAPI)

Latest Version - patching one or more vulnerabilities:
10.1.102.64 (NPAPI)

But it did not find the version for Firefox, which was also 10.1.85.3 and needed the 10.1.102.64 update.

Also, every time I edit my profile to "Show my System Score" it subsequently winds up unchecked, and my score never displays.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 18th Nov, 2010 14:41

Hello renman ,

The NPAPI plug-in is the general term for a non IE ActiveX (plug-in) and applies to many browsers and specificaly Mozilla Firefox .

You say latest release of the PSI ; do you mean 1.5.0.2 or the Beta 1.9.0.5004 ?! If you have the Beta , have you run the NPAPI auto update ??

You can see if your Ff has a correctly updated Flash plug-in installed by opening the browser and ->Tools->Add-ons->Plugins and look for "Shockwave Flash 10.1.102.64 ".

Do you have an "insecure" version of Flash displayed anywhere ??

If you are still having a problem , you may want to create your own thread .

The problem of displaying your % score "bugs" quite a few people and I do not know a solution ; other than ensuring your community profile details exactly match your PSI profile details (where applicable) as the latter relate to your % .

Hope that helps .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
renman RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 18th Nov, 2010 21:23
User Since: 6th Oct 2009
Last edited on 18th Nov, 2010 21:24
1.9.0.5004 Would that it were easy to find the version number within the program instead of right clicking on the program and selecting properties. It's probably there somewhere, but it sure as hell is hard to find.

Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta updated the Active X version which does NOT update the one needed for Firefox. I did update it manually by other means.

Besides "My profile," where else do I have to ensure my "community profile details exactly match your PSI profile details"?

Was this reply relevant?
+0
donawalt RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 18th Nov, 2010 21:58
User Since: 18th Nov 2010
HI all,
I am getting the 0% score, finding no programs, with the 1.9.0.5004 beta. It has been running fine for about a week, all of a sudden it reported t 0% score about 30 minutes ago. I have stop/restarted, run scan again, with no change.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
UsernameUnavailable RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 18th Nov, 2010 22:06
Score: 15
Last edited on 18th Nov, 2010 22:08
on 18th Nov, 2010 21:58, donawalt wrote:
HI all,
I am getting the 0% score, finding no programs, with the 1.9.0.5004 beta. It has been running fine for about a week, all of a sudden it reported t 0% score about 30 minutes ago. I have stop/restarted, run scan again, with no change.

There's a seperate topic for this problem here http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/635...
Apparently it's a Secunia server problem where PSI can't contact the server.
You will have to wait until the server is up again. The same problem occurred 4 days ago and now the PSI search rule server is down again it seems.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 18th Nov, 2010 22:11
on 18th Nov, 2010 22:06, UsernameUnavailable wrote:
Appaarently it's a Secunia server problem where PSI can't contact the server

Yes, it's the typical 'behaviour' when the server cannot be reached. I just started up at 22.05hrs Amsterdam time and there was no connect. Just wait untill the server is running again.

--
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 9
Mozilla Firefox 31NL

Intel Core I5-2450
DDR3 RAM 6GB
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 31NL
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Nov, 2010 00:27
Thanks all, I'll wait...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Secunia Official 19th Nov, 2010 09:45
Thank you for reporting the issue, it should now have been fixed. Please perform another full system scan with the PSI.
Member 19th Nov, 2010 13:08
Scan is working again, thanks!
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Gerbert RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 19th Nov, 2010 13:10
User Since: 11th Jan 2008
After installation of LibreOffice (from 'The Document Foundation' (http://www.documentfoundation.org/), Secunia PSIBeta reported the installation of a new program: OpenOffice.

My question is: what is this (mis)identification based on?
The people behind LibreOffice would like to know this also, as they will be keen to have their software identified correctly.

If you reply the answer to me, I will forward this information to LibreOffice developers.

Thanks in advance,

Gerbert
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 19th Nov, 2010 14:03

Hello Gerbet ,

I have replied to you in your other thread :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/644...

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 19th Nov, 2010 14:17

For renman ,

The tray icon->right click->"about" will give you your version N°.

You need to set both the ActiveX entry for Flash to update IE and the NPAPI entry for Flash to update Firefox .

The auto update will only work when set - they show (AU) after/rhs of the entry - and the browsers and any other programme using Flash have (been) stopped . The PSI checks to see if it can run the installer every minute .

Both my versions of Flash updated in less than 5 minutes - brief messages indicated the stage it was at - one after the other . No problem .

Where you need to go :-
On the PSI Dashboard , left hand column ->Configuration->Secunia Community Profile .
On this page , left hand column->login->My Profile .

Hope that is clear .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Bradley RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 20th Nov, 2010 03:23
I've been running beta 1.9.0.5004 and the prior 1.9.0.4001 for quite some time on my machine with windows vista with latest service pack and all current updates. For some reason, the popup said "removed 180 programs" today and now it registers 0%. A re-scan produces nothing and still shows 0%. I saw this before a couple days ago and backed up to previous versions all the way back to 1.5.0.2 and had the same indications. I re-installed beta 1.9.0.5004 today and it worked fine for a while and then this evening, it reverted to the same "removed 180 programs" message popup and now back to 0%.

Anyone else see this?

Kind regards,

Brad Skiff
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Nov, 2010 05:29
Last edited on 20th Nov, 2010 05:30
To Bradley. It's obvious that there is a server problem at Secunia so PSI cannot connect to the server. Don't worry, just wait untill the server is up again, hope- fulle later this morning.

--
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 9
Mozilla Firefox 31NL

Intel Core I5-2450
DDR3 RAM 6GB
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 31NL
Was this reply relevant?
+0
OldDuffer-iMac RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 20th Nov, 2010 12:56
User Since: 25th Aug 2010
iMac & Parallels V5

Individual ignore rules can be created but there are no drives shown under 'settings / drives'.

I have C:, the CD drive is D: and an external drive E:.

So as there is only one drive letter for the internal drive am I correct in assuming that PSI will not show it.

Was this reply relevant?
+1
fharris RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 22nd Nov, 2010 04:42
User Since: 31st Mar 2009
All is going well with the new version, but I would like to see:

1. A print option to print the "Scan Results" page
2. A quicker start-up to the User Interface when double-clicking the Icon in the System Tray (Notification Area). It hangs for a long time on "Verifying Internet Connection..."

Thanks for your wonderful efforts.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ddferrari RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 23rd Nov, 2010 15:21
User Since: 17th Mar 2009
Thanks for a terrific product. I've been using Secunia for a few years and I always score 100% thanks to an easy to use interface. I haven't had any (OK- one small one) complaints about PSI, but now I do! I installed the latest update from a week or so ago(?) and noticed a little problem.

The latest version doesn't seem to offer an option to actually shut down the program; rather, it only offers to close the tray icon. A quick look at task manager confirms that indeed the program is still running, and it appears that the only way to close the program is through the task manager.

I don't perceive Secunia like an AV program, needing to run constantly. A once-a-day scan plus a scan when installing a new program should be sufficient, in my book. So, why isn't there an option to fully close the program and all related services? And if there is an option, pardon my blindness and please tell me how to find it!
Thanks,
Dave
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Expert Contributor 24th Nov, 2010 12:11
Last edited on 24th Nov, 2010 12:14
@ddferrari , Hello Dave ,

The big red [X] in the PSI display actually closes the PSI and stops the psi.exe . You can restart from the tray icon .

If you then close the tray icon , you still have psia.exe and sua.exe running but you need to launch from All Programs .

If you minimise the PSI to the tray all processes keep running .

These changes are to help Non-Admin loading/use of the PSI interface (GUI) ; this may not be the finished version .

Hope that helps .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+3
dogbert2 RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 25th Nov, 2010 13:39
User Since: 15th Jul 2009
I installed the PSI 2.0 Beta yesterday, and it ran fine, but today, it is stuck at 'verifying internet connectivity' and it proceeds no farther. The 1.5.02 version only had that message up for approximately 10 to 15 seconds (where else should I look for more information)?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 25th Nov, 2010 17:35
Last edited on 25th Nov, 2010 17:36
on 25th Nov, 2010 13:39, dogbert2 wrote:
I installed the PSI 2.0 Beta yesterday, and it ran fine, but today, it is stuck at 'verifying internet connectivity' and it proceeds no farther. ?

I experienced the same after first startup of my pc at 05.00hrs this morning. Maybe it was caused because the Secunia website has been hacked for some time by a Turkish site. But just now it's solved here. You should try again.

--
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 9
Mozilla Firefox 31NL

Intel Core I5-2450
DDR3 RAM 6GB
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 31NL
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ddferrari RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 26th Nov, 2010 14:34
User Since: 17th Mar 2009
Last edited on 26th Nov, 2010 14:36
@ Anthony Wells:

That does help! In previous versions of PSI, when one shut down the program, the system tray icon disappeared automatically. Now it remains unless the "close tray icon" option is selected. This is what confused me. I must say, I liked the previous version's operation in this regard... I like my icons to go away when I shut a program down, without an extra step.

Thanks Anthony!
Dave
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Nov, 2010 02:46
The following programs are not seen in 2.0 Beta:

Winzip 15.0 (Winzip 9.0 SR-1 was seen in PSI 1.5.0.2)
Netbeans 6.9.1 (installed on 11/25/2010)

I have used the suggestion link inside of PSI 2.0 beta
for both Winzip 15.0 and Netbeans 6.9.1
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Nov, 2010 05:24
Here is possibly a new problem under Windows XP Professional SP3 (PSI 1.5.0.2 was running fine before):

I have the PSI 2.0 Beta installed on my windows 7 ultimate 64-bit desktop with no issues (minus a few programs which aren't picked up), but when I installed the PSI 2.0 Beta on my Acer Extensa 5420 laptop running XP Professional SP3, I get the icon in the system tray, but when I right-click and select 'open', it flashes on the screen for a second and then vanishes (the system tray icon is still present though).

Any ideas on what I should look for (I did power down the laptop and started it back up, no change in behavior)? The system tray icon for PSI 2.0 beta does show up by itself on system start/restart.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 27th Nov, 2010 13:14
Last edited on 27th Nov, 2010 13:19
@dogbert2 ,

This is probably the XP bug affecting versions of the PSI later than 1.5.0.1 ; Smurphdude gives you an answer which might help you with your problem in this thread :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/624...

Let us know if it works out for you .

Anthony

PS: the system tray icon now has it's own process in 1.9.0.5004 which might explain why you still see it , whilst it disappeared with the XP problem in earlier PSI versions .

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
parkd1 RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 27th Nov, 2010 15:55
Score: -8
User Since: 2nd Jun 2009
System Score: 99%
Does not always show in system tray when windows starts. Does not show in system tray when Explorer crashes and restarts.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ottchris-primary RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 28th Nov, 2010 13:21
Score: 5
User Since: 19th Apr 2008
I have a suggestion to make and I apologise if it has been put forward before.

Take a scenario where you have an application that has a vulnerability and that a patch exists for that vulnerability. This explanation will probably be clearer if I say that the real world example in my case is a database application. However, the vendor of the application that uses and installed that database application advises a) the specific vulnerability does not affect their application and they have not tested the new version of the database application.

Assuming you decide not to update the database application at this point in time, you can either leave it marked as insecure or create an ignore rule. The problem with either of those 'solutions' appears to be that additional releases with new vulnerabilities are likely to go unnoticed. Now I don't know if this is possible but I would like new vulnerabilities in ignored applications to be highlighted in some way. At the moment once an application has an ignore rule created for it, it gets lost under configuration settings. Even if my suggested enhancement is unworkable for some reason, there ought to be at least some indication of ignored rules on the dashboard.

Regards to All,

Chris

--
Was this reply relevant?
+2
This user no longer exists RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 29th Nov, 2010 10:32
Hi,

on 20th Nov, 2010 03:23, Bradley wrote:
I've been running beta 1.9.0.5004 and the prior 1.9.0.4001 for quite some time on my machine with windows vista with latest service pack and all current updates. For some reason, the popup said "removed 180 programs" today and now it registers 0%. A re-scan produces nothing and still shows 0%. I saw this before a couple days ago and backed up to previous versions all the way back to 1.5.0.2 and had the same indications. I re-installed beta 1.9.0.5004 today and it worked fine for a while and then this evening, it reverted to the same "removed 180 programs" message popup and now back to 0%.

If anyone is still experiencing this issue, restart the PSI, and try following the steps outlined in this item of our FAQ: http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

After doing this, does the issue persist?

on 22nd Nov, 2010 04:42, fharris wrote:
All is going well with the new version, but I would like to see:

1. A print option to print the "Scan Results" page
2. A quicker start-up to the User Interface when double-clicking the Icon in the System Tray (Notification Area). It hangs for a long time on "Verifying Internet Connection..."

Thanks for your wonderful efforts.

I will forward your suggestion about the print option to our developers, who will consider it for implementation in a future version.

As for the delay in starting the user interface that was recently introduced, surprising as it may seem on first glance, this is actually a feature, and not a bug.

A request that's come up again and again in the beta period is for us to reduce the memory usage of the PSI when it is lying dormant in the background.
To achieve this, we have separated the PSI program monitoring agent and user interface (UI). This means that when the PSI is 'minimized' to the tray, the UI component is shut down, which frees system memory, while still preserving the PSI's tray functionality.

Since the PSI loads it's user interface over the network, each time you restart the UI component, it loads once more. While this does cause a slight delay, it prevents the PSI from using any more memory than necessary while running in the background.

If you feel I have left a point unilluminated, please let me know and I will elaborate.

on 23rd Nov, 2010 15:21, ddferrari wrote:
Thanks for a terrific product. I've been using Secunia for a few years and I always score 100% thanks to an easy to use interface. I haven't had any (OK- one small one) complaints about PSI, but now I do! I installed the latest update from a week or so ago(?) and noticed a little problem.

The latest version doesn't seem to offer an option to actually shut down the program; rather, it only offers to close the tray icon. A quick look at task manager confirms that indeed the program is still running, and it appears that the only way to close the program is through the task manager.

I don't perceive Secunia like an AV program, needing to run constantly. A once-a-day scan plus a scan when installing a new program should be sufficient, in my book. So, why isn't there an option to fully close the program and all related services? And if there is an option, pardon my blindness and please tell me how to find it!
Thanks,
Dave

To decrease memory usage in the PSI 2.0 Beta, we have split the PSI into several 'modules'. The UI module is shut down when you close it (whereas it used to me minimized to tray - see also my explanation above).

The tray icon runs separately from the PSI agent, which runs in the background, and is responsible for, for example, running the weekly scheduled scans. So when you shut down the tray icon, the service will still run in the background.
If you wish to disable the PSI background service, uncheck the 'Start the PSI on boot' option on the settings page. This will prevent the background service from automatically starting.

on 27th Nov, 2010 02:46, dogbert2 wrote:
The following programs are not seen in 2.0 Beta:

Winzip 15.0 (Winzip 9.0 SR-1 was seen in PSI 1.5.0.2)
Netbeans 6.9.1 (installed on 11/25/2010)

I have used the suggestion link inside of PSI 2.0 beta
for both Winzip 15.0 and Netbeans 6.9.1

I believe I have fixed detection for these products. If you run a full rescan, are they detected?

on 28th Nov, 2010 13:21, ottchris-primary wrote:
I have a suggestion to make and I apologise if it has been put forward before.

Take a scenario where you have an application that has a vulnerability and that a patch exists for that vulnerability. This explanation will probably be clearer if I say that the real world example in my case is a database application. However, the vendor of the application that uses and installed that database application advises a) the specific vulnerability does not affect their application and they have not tested the new version of the database application.

Assuming you decide not to update the database application at this point in time, you can either leave it marked as insecure or create an ignore rule. The problem with either of those 'solutions' appears to be that additional releases with new vulnerabilities are likely to go unnoticed. Now I don't know if this is possible but I would like new vulnerabilities in ignored applications to be highlighted in some way. At the moment once an application has an ignore rule created for it, it gets lost under configuration settings. Even if my suggested enhancement is unworkable for some reason, there ought to be at least some indication of ignored rules on the dashboard.

No application will be marked as insecure unless there is a Secunia advisory issued for it. If this is the case, the program has been confirmed to be vulnerable.

Secunia recommends always installing a patch if one is available. Introduction of a feature that hides specific vulnerabilities is extremely unlikely; Either the program is entirely ignored, or the PSI will report any unpatched vulnerability.

If anyone has any further commentary or suggestions, please do not hesitate to post back to this thread.

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Handling Contributor 29th Nov, 2010 11:05
Score: 11743
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Last edited on 29th Nov, 2010 11:14
Emil,
Winzip Professional is still not showing after two full scans. I have made a new suggestion.

The latest version is 15 Build 9327.

Winzip Courier Professional is OK.

EDIT: Now showing perfectly

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 29th Nov, 2010 11:15
Hi,

@Maurice
Based on your suggestion, I made a correction to our rules.
Is WinZip Professional 15.x detected if you run a full rescan?

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Handling Contributor 29th Nov, 2010 11:19
Score: 11743
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Now perfect - thank U.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 29th Nov, 2010 14:55
on 29th Nov, 2010 10:32, wrote:

No application will be marked as insecure unless there is a Secunia advisory issued for it. If this is the case, the program has been confirmed to be vulnerable.

Secunia recommends always installing a patch if one is available. Introduction of a feature that hides specific vulnerabilities is extremely unlikely; Either the program is entirely ignored, or the PSI will report any unpatched vulnerability.

If anyone has any further commentary or suggestions, please do not hesitate to post back to this thread.

hope this helps.

Err.. please read my suggestion again! You already have a feature that hides vulnerabilities, specific or otherwise; it's called the ignore rule! I have presented one real-world situation where the considered decision is to delay installing a security patch; there will be others. I am after all suggesting an enhancement that limits the security exposure of "hiding specific vulnerabilities".

Regards to All,

Chris

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
motty RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 3rd Dec, 2010 00:57
Score: -37
User Since: 12th Jun 2009
I found a couple of bugs in the latest beta (after reinstalling Flash CS3):

1. if you ignore an insucure program, you get an 100% green status in the program window but not in the taskbar/tray icon

2. After updating the FlashPlayer.exe as described in http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/452... a re-scan just Flash showed the prgram still insecure. A full rescan was required to show it patched

--
my music: http://www.fromabrokenheart.com
Was this reply relevant?
+0
issor RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 4th Dec, 2010 10:30
User Since: 17th Aug 2009
non riesco ad installare la release successiva alla 1.9.0.3007 mi dà errore
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Dec, 2010 16:51
Last edited on 4th Dec, 2010 16:59
on 3rd Dec, 2010 00:57, motty wrote:

1. if you ignore an insucure program, you get an 100% green status in the program window but not in the taskbar/tray icon

2. After updating the FlashPlayer.exe as described in http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/452... a re-scan just Flash showed the prgram still insecure. A full rescan was required to show it patched

Re item 2 I reported something similar for Flash CS4 in a separate topic several days ago (PSI solution worked in previous versions of PSI 2.0 Beta). The difference is that for CS4 it *had* been the opposite of that described by OP i.e. follow the PSI solution, rescan Flash CS4, reports secure, full rescan, now insecure again, rescan Flash CS4, reports secure again. Another difference with the OP's Flash CS 3 is now neither individual Flash CS4 or full scan report secure.

Here's the topic (unfortunately nil response at the time of writing):
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/661...

Regards to All,

Chris

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
F_BIG RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 4th Dec, 2010 22:09
User Since: 14th May 2009
Emil,
You replied to ottchris-primary as follows:

on 29th Nov, 2010 10:32, wrote:
o o o

hope this helps.

I have to agree with ottchris-primary and with a couple of additional points.

1. Database vendors (and IMHO Oracle is one of the worst in this regard) will have vulns in their flagship products for whatever reason. Since so many DB users are running their own code against the DB, no way the vendor can anticipate *all* the ways that the user can (mis)/use the product. I'm sure that their Test and QA procedures are generally robust to cover most development scenarios, but I am also quite sure that there are ways the products are used that vendor never contemplated. This leads, I think to very long fix/test/deploy cycles for DB products. You do not necessarily want to deploy the third party "quick fix" or even the vendor's "hotfix" without some heavy duty in-house testing.

2. Purveyors of standard code libraries have the same sort of issues for those of us who use them. Doesn't matter if it is C++, Java, Delphi, a Database library or whatever. The library is used in the user's project in many ways. The teams may be widely distributed and each part of the team has a part of the project. Few of the team members have the time to consider much else outside their own little chunk of the project. Vendors of code libraries have as hard or a harder time fixing those nasty vulnerabilities than the database vendors, I should think.

3. Another layer of complexity that can be added on top of the two forgoing instances are the users of standard industry suites built on top of Code Libraries and Database applications.
Users of Accounting, GIS, Back-Office, Collaboration, Web-enabled apps, MMOG's, and Process Control Packages: Manufacturing, Utility and Telecommunication, Transportation (Air traffic, Pipelines, Rail Transport) are all examples of the types of application suites that a extremely complex to work with and manage.

The upshot of this class of software is that there are often idiosyncratic dependencies in the code or the database that the "hotfix" or other quickie fix will definitely break.
Yes, I know that a lot of issues can be designed and coded around, but how easily? At what cost and effort? Will the work-around be coded, tested, run through QA and deployed before the vendor issues the official "fix". And I do recall some things that have never been fixed that have to be kept track of by responsible development teams....

Now I haven't looked at the full capabilities of CSI and VIM since I retired, obviously having little use for that class of product as a FOSS oriented, hobbyist developer now-a-days. And if a company is using PSI in the enterprise instead of CSI or VIM, shame on them!
BUT I do have to agree with Ottchris in this regard. I do use FOSS and vendor libraries and it would be useful to lots of folks like me to be able to tag the vulns in this type of product as a "got a problem here, keep an eye out on it and don't forget to keep reviewing it on a periodic basis" status. I think home, student and hobbyist developers would appreciate the feature.

F_Big := Former Big Iron Guy
Was this reply relevant?
+2
OldDuffer RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 5th Dec, 2010 18:49
Score: -3
User Since: 10th Mar 2008
I have a computer with 5 partitions which are configured for multi-boot using HyperOs There are 3 data partitions.
Each bootable partitions appears on the Computer as drive C: (Drive letter swap).
System is Windows XP Pro SP3.

On two of the XP partitions the Beta fails to show any detected drives, not even the C: drive and it scans all the drives.

--
ttfn
Bob
Was this reply relevant?
+0
thorn16 RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 5th Dec, 2010 19:41
User Since: 5th Dec 2010
Last edited on 5th Dec, 2010 19:42
Great program!!

Problems:
1. Question I have is that I don't see Google Chrome in my scanned items for the 2.0 Beta
FF and IE show no problem. Google used to show up in 1.5.
It does show Google Gears, so is that what is being used?

2. Also someone mentioned WinZip 15.0 does not show up, but for me it does.

3. Slow on initial startup and scan when installing the 2.0 beta, but getting faster although still slower than 1.5 during startup of program.

4. Fewer programs are now seen than ver 1.5 (139 vs 184). Many people have stated this so I take it will be addressed as we move forward. Is it because you don't duplicate the number if installed under multiple users?
For instance I have FF, IE and Chrome installed under multiple users...

5. I have Zoom Player 5.0 and 6 installed. I want the old 1.5 link of removing the program back. Currently you bring up the add remove program, but Zoom Player does not show up in the add/remove program as it is add-in for a codec
pack.
Or let me go directly the directory again easier. I can't see the links that were present before in 1.5 which showed all of those options. It should be in the toolbox screen. If I right click then I see I can go to the folder, but for many this may not be that intuitive
Running 1.9.0.5004

Enhancements:
1. Is it possible to sort the scan results for the secure browsing screen or the overall scan results so that I can sort by criticality? I want to deal with the most critical items first.

I cleaned up my pc with great ease using 1.5.

Cheers
thorn16
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Dec, 2010 09:59
Last edited on 6th Dec, 2010 10:04 Hi,

on 29th Nov, 2010 14:55, ottchris-primary wrote:
Err.. please read my suggestion again! You already have a feature that hides vulnerabilities, specific or otherwise; it's called the ignore rule! I have presented one real-world situation where the considered decision is to delay installing a security patch; there will be others. I am after all suggesting an enhancement that limits the security exposure of "hiding specific vulnerabilities".

Thank you for your feedback.
I'll ensure your suggestion reach our developers for consideration.

Hi,

Thank you for pointing this out! I'll file a bug with our developers, who will consider a fix for a future release.

Thank you for reporting the issue. We will keep an eye out for problems with the Program Monitoring and general scanning feature, and will attempt to correct any we uncover.

If anybody has any additional comments, questions, or feedback, please do not hesitate to ask!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
jlegg RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 10th Dec, 2010 16:57
Hi -
Great program, love the enhancements. Only problem found so far is that none of my drives show up under Detected Drives. I have 2 internal hard drives and 1 external USB hard drive. Don't know if it's scanning all 3 or just C:.
Regards, John

Windows 7 64-bit
Was this reply relevant?
+0

shanne

Are you looking for the best Jerseys?
[+]
elekt786 RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 12th Dec, 2010 20:02
User Since: 9th Dec 2010
Your program displays the following:

---START---

Program Name:
WinImage 6.x

Security State:
End-of-Life

Download Link:
http://www.winimage.com/download.htm

Instances Found:
C:\ST_RP\Master\M-SDK\wimadll.dll, version: 6.10.6100

Last System Scan (localtime):
11. Dec 2010, 13:11

Operating System:
Microsoft Windows Vista,

---END---

The latest version is 8.x but the INSTALL SOLUTION button sends to http://www.winimage.com/download.htm that contains winimage.exe instead of wimadll.dll that is the reported End-of-life program.

Thank you!

--
Cautious
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Dec, 2010 12:22
Last edited on 13th Dec, 2010 13:31 Hi,

The file being detected by the PSI is not necessarily the 'file' that needs to be upgraded, or even the file where a vulnerability has been found.

Which files the PSI use to detect an installed application is simply a matter of practicality - a multitude of different files are used, and sometimes different files are used for detection of the program and for extracting version information.

If you install the solution suggested by the PSI, reboot and run a full rescan, are you still shown as insecure?

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Dec, 2010 00:49
Yes! I installed the solution suggested by the PSI, reboot and run a full rescan, are I still shown as insecure.

--
Cautious
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Dec, 2010 15:35

The solution suggested by the PSI is installed on my PC this way: C:\Program Files\WinImage\winimage.exe and corresponds to the WinImage (8.x 64 bit) and it is the up-to-date version 8.5.0.8500. NOT A PROBLEM.

The detected hitch found by the PSI is on C:\ST_RP\Master\M-SDK\wimadll.dll and it is reported as the end-of-life version 6.10.6100. A PROBLEM.

I hope that this information would clarify the previous reports.

--
Cautious
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Reelix RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 15th Dec, 2010 01:25
User Since: 12th Aug 2008
System Score: 97%
Last edited on 15th Dec, 2010 01:41
Version: 1.9.0.6001 (There's no topic for this version, so here it sits)
CPU: Intel 2.33 Dual Core (E6550)
RAM: 3GB DDR2 800

Max CPU Usage (Required Windows 7)

Method 1.)

1.) Open PSI
2.) Click "Scan Results"
3.) Watch CPU Usage, and drag it to the top (Maximizing), then drag it off (Minimizing)

Each of these Maximizes / Minimizes causes 100% CPU usage for 2 seconds, giving a laggy impression

Method 2.)

1.) Open PSI
2.) Click "Scan Results"
3.) Watch CPU Usage, and make slow circles around the items in the middle - Your CPU will jump to max whilst your mouse is moving.

Surely simple highlighting does not require max CPU usage.... ?

Application does not update Forum Score Correctly

I have just enabled displaying my score, and resync'd my profile, and I get the incorrect percentage displayed.

Proof: http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/2605/ss20101215...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
murrij RE: Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta - New release!
Member 19th Dec, 2010 18:52
User Since: 20th Nov 2009
Just installed latest beta. Windows 7 x64. Seems much snappier than the last beta. Had ran into autoupdate issues with Flash Player (NPAPI), tho Flash Player ActiveX worked great. Now they both work well (how about in version 2.1 after release a way to see the status of an update when it's running so one can see why a 'waiting to update to complete' message is there?).

Tried to add Tweetdeck as a suggestion and got a "No file version information was available for the specified file. Please locate the main .exe or .dll for the program and try again." after numerous attempts.

Great job.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Dec, 2010 12:06
Last edited on 20th Dec, 2010 12:08 Hi,

For those experiencing issues with specific applications, I recommend creating a new thread.

on 15th Dec, 2010 01:25, Reelix wrote:
Version: 1.9.0.6001
Max CPU Usage (Required Windows 7)
Each of these Maximizes / Minimizes causes 100% CPU usage for 2 seconds, giving a laggy impression

Thank you for your feedback and tests results.

on 15th Dec, 2010 01:25, Reelix wrote:

Application does not update Forum Score Correctly

I have just enabled displaying my score, and resync'd my profile, and I get the incorrect percentage displayed.

Proof: http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/2605/ss20101215...

Thank you for reporting. I will test the issue more throughoutly, and if we find a reoccuring problem, will notify our developers of the problem.

If you have any further questions, comments or suggestions, please do not hesitate to post.

on 19th Dec, 2010 18:52, murrij wrote:
how about in version 2.1 after release a way to see the status of an update when it's running so one can see why a 'waiting to update to complete' message is there?.

The PSI handles auto-updates by using 'silent install' switches on certain installers. These switches, prepared by the vendors, are what allows a program to install automatically in the background.

This unfortunately means that the 'waiting for update to complete' message can probably not get any more specific - The success or failture of an update has nothing to do with the PSI, and is entirely up to the vendor-prepared patch.

However, several other suggestions have already been made for clarification of these issues, and our developers are considering ways of making the user interface more transparent.

on 19th Dec, 2010 18:52, murrij wrote:

Tried to add Tweetdeck as a suggestion and got a "No file version information was available for the specified file. Please locate the main .exe or .dll for the program and try again." after numerous attempts.

Great job.

For us to be able to use a suggested file, it has to have certain information attacted too it (to differentiate different products, versions, etc), or it cannot be used in a PSI detection rule. This means that when the PSI gives you this message, you will have to select another file if you want the product added.

PS: It is a really good idea to include the name of the product/link to it's website, or it can be impossible to figure out what you were trying to suggest for added detection.

Please do not hesitate to post if anyone has further commentary or feedback!
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability