Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Microsoft Office Powerpoint 2003 Patch - Security

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Microsoft
And, this specific program:
Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2003

This thread has been marked as locked.
Joybelle777 Microsoft Office Powerpoint 2003 Patch - Security
Member 10th Nov, 2010 13:59
Ranking: 2
User Since: 10th Nov, 2010
System Score: 83%
I keep getting the message that I need to patch this program, - I went to the 'solution' link, it brought up the Microsoft Update page - I updated the program. Secunia scanned again, and says I still need the update or patch, but Microsoft says I am now up to date and there are zero updates or patches available. Why do I still get the warning and what should I do? I have re-scanned several times and it sometimes says the "scan is aborted", but when it does go through it says I need the patch. Thank you.

TiMow RE: Microsoft Office Powerpoint 2003 Patch - Security
Dedicated Contributor 10th Nov, 2010 16:40
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
System Score: N/A
When "patched" (Microsoft Update), Power Point Viewer 2003 should have upgraded to PPV 2007; - but PPV 2003 is still present on your PC, which PSI is still reporting as insecure.

It is not telling you to keep applying the same patch - it is telling you that the old insecure version is still present - this has to be removed.

Your forum profile (on left of your post) suggests that you may be new to using PSI - so can you give details of which version you use (bottom right of PSI window). If using 1.5.0.2, are you using Advanced mode?

Can you confirm that you have M$ Office installed - of which PPV is a part; or is PPV stand alone? (i.e. only present on Start>All Programs list).

What is your Windows OS?

TiMow

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Joybelle777 RE: Microsoft Office Powerpoint 2003 Patch - Security
Member 15th Nov, 2010 18:54
Score: 2
User Since: 10th Nov 2010
I have Windows 8 xp version. I found my CD of Microsoft office 2003....finally. :) i re-installed it and then did all the updates and patches secunia showed through the scans - came out with 100% score. i am new aat all this and do not know how to do what you spoke of. I am in the simple mode not the advanced in secunia and it is the latest version.

today, i tried to scan with secunia and each time i clicked on the icon, it disappeared and i could not get it up at all. i went to the homepage and ran a scan from there, but the solutions will not apply. help?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Nov, 2010 02:49
Would someone please respond to the reply and problem I stated as having???? Help......
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Anthony Wells RE: Microsoft Office Powerpoint 2003 Patch - Security
Expert Contributor 17th Nov, 2010 16:05
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 17th Nov, 2010 16:23
Hello Joybelle ,

Sorry you seem to have been left behind .

Are you saying that your use of the CD got your M$ Office reinstalled and fully updated and your score was 100% ; but since then the PSI will load up but you cannot run it because the tray icon disappears ?? If so which version of the PSI do you have on which Windows OS and what exactly happens when you try to run the PSI : eg : does it load it's page and the icon and then they both disappear when you hover over the icon ??

The reinstall of Office may have changed your settings and caused a known problem : which we can rectify .

When you say the scan from the "home" page , do you mean running the on-line OSI scan from this website ?? If so , what results are showing in the OSI scan ?? Which solutions will not apply .

Give as much info as you can ; I'm sure we can sort things for you :)

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 17th Nov, 2010 22:05
I have PSI 1.5.0.2

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name NENA
System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
System Model Pavilion dv8000 (EE298AV)
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 36 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~1994 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard F.31, 1/4/2006
SMBIOS Version 2.31
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 1,280.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 502.32 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 2.08 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

When I click on the secunia ,icon on the toolbar ---it disappears
I have re-installed it several times. when i go to the start menu and then programs to bring it up, it all flashes by so quickly that i cannot even begin to see it, my screen goes black and then back to normal.

I ran the OSI scan from your homepage and got a 100% score, but want to get the PSI working...Have I included enough info? thanx - joy
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 17th Nov, 2010 22:34

Hello Joy the beautiful ,

More than enough info thanks . The key is probably your resetting Office on XP SP3 Home Edition . If you look at the following thread , you will see your problem and @smurphdude gives you a "simple" method of resolving it ; just follow his exact instructions :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/624...

If you are unsure of anything , ask/post back here .

As it is starting to get late here on CET , I will post my tips on getting the best out of the PSI and using "advanced" mode . It will make lot of difference and improve your security and help when you move onto the version 2.0 (when it is released from Beta) .

Just click the "simple" or "advanced" link at the top right of any PSI page . You can come back to the previous mode by clicking on that link . Resetting may take a moment or two .

It would be a shame not to try the "advanced" mode ; so here are some tips for "looking around" :-

Click on each/all the tabs and there is plenty of written advice about what each tab contains .

If a "problem" shows in the "insecure" or "end of life" tabs , then to help resolve any problem , here are some instructions to help you first of all get the best out of PSI :-

1)use PSI in "advanced" mode ;
2)in the "settings" tab make sure that the box in the first/upper section is NOT ticked in order to have the maximum info available ;
3)tell us in which "tab(s)" your problem programme is located ;
4)in that tab , click on the + in the box at the left end of the programme , the page will expand ;
5)in the expanded page , tell us what is written in the "installation path" ;
6)in the "toolbox" section , lower down , the link "technical details" should confirm the installation path details ;
7)click on the link "open folder" and you will see more details concerning the location of the "problem" .

Posting these details will help the Forum help you , if/when you have a problem .

Do not worry if you are less than 100% in "advanced" as it is looking at many more programmes than either the OSI or the "simple" mode . Anything you cannot deal with can be resolved with help from Forum members .

Let us know your progress . No rush .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 18th Nov, 2010 02:27
Hi again,
I did what you suggested and it is working in advanced mode, HOWEVER, my monitor seems to be only halfway working!???? all the colors on every screen are shaded out and faint in color....my desktop picture has gone from a real life photo - to looking like a cartoon graphic....the icons on the desktop also have re-arranged themselves, and firefox crashed -

i have one insecure program adobe 9x, when i try to apply the solution, firefox comes up with a screen saying it has crashed. i removed ms powerpoint as it suggested and also win/inter/videoDVD program. what should i do? i thought doing system restore, but then all would have to be done again, right? thanx again :)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 18th Nov, 2010 13:06
Last edited on 18th Nov, 2010 13:26
Hello again Joy ,

Sorry to hear about the Monitor . It may well be linked to your changes , but could be coincidental .

As with all these things the first thing is a complete shutdown of your computer , wait a few minutes and then restart . **

**EDIT : right click your desktop and select properties will allow you to check various settings to see if they are normal . If you do not understand what you see , do not change anything as of now .

Run all your security systems to see if they find anything that might be affecting/infecting you . Firefox crashing sounds strange but could be a problem with Power Point if you use it to view .pps (PowerPoint) email attachments . They can carry malware . What security software do you have installed ??

No go !? Next would be to retrace the steps you made following @smurphdude's instructions and add back the "Handwriting recognition - Drawing Pad" items you removed ; I trust you did not change/remove anything else .

No!? then do you know how to do a restart in "safe mode" and select the last known working configuration ??

If not , then a System Restore either pre or post your reset of Office with the CD is next .

Let us know what happens . Make sure you do one step at a time and make a note of what you do so that you can retrace your steps .

If you are not sure of something , ask first .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
TiMow RE: Microsoft Office Powerpoint 2003 Patch - Security
Dedicated Contributor 18th Nov, 2010 13:46
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
Last edited on 18th Nov, 2010 13:52
Just a quick butt-in - hi Joy (and A.W.)

Sorry to see you were left in the cold for a bit, but you seemed to have slipped off the grid for a few days.

In the meantime, I had developed, and have been experiencing problems of my own, and have been unable to respond to anything for a few days 'til now.

Although our problems are not really similar, I will just add, that as part of my own recovery process, which has had the best results, was a system restore to a day before my problem started to manifest itself.

I suspected a possible infection (despite good (?) security measures), but this as of yet has not been proven. Prior to starting remedial action, I created a restore point, then carried out a few different actions, which, unfortunately, didn't help, and may have worsened things, so I returned to my own created restore point - but there was still no improvement.

Then I undid this restore and came back to the "present", to run some more checks - still no joy (no pun intended). Finally went back to the last System Checkpoint - 2 days before my restore point, and one day earlier than when I first became aware of problems, and this has improved my situation (maybe not yet 100%).

Anthony's advice of taking steps one at a time, and keeping a record, is noteworthy; as I was a slightly guilty (possibly due to a bit more familiarity) of trying out a few different remedies in too quick a succession, to be sure of what was helping and what was not.

I will leave you in Anthony's capable hands, and hope that you are able to resolve your problems.

TiMow

P.S. Just one further point when restoring to a few days earlier:- depending on what security you have/use, you may have to manually run updates to get back up to date - my own security auto updates one or two times a day - not normally the program itself, but detection/anti-virus/ real-time scanning rules.

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 18th Nov, 2010 18:37
hi anthony :)

i have vipre anti-virus and malwarebyts spyware removal on my system.
i did system restore all the way back to the 11th of nov.
i have run the scans and no viruses or malware.....
secunia scan shows i need to delete winDVD gold 5 & Microsoft office power point viewer, when i did that last night i had all the problems....the only thing is add and remove programs that has ms pp2003 is an update (do I just delete the update)?
i deleted adobe 10 and adobe flash player today b/c i could not get it to update, now - nothing is showing up as needing fixing regarding adobe????

i am having trouble getting the icons to take me to the desired paths today on the internet?????? i click and click and click :)

joy
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 18th Nov, 2010 19:27

Hi Joy ,

OK , the security stuff should have picked up anything nasty , so "hopefully" you are nice and clean :)

The links to the Secunia/PSI webpage have been very slow for a couple of days ; are other links also slow ?? let's look at that another time if it persists .

Can you confirm that since restoring back to Nov 11 , you have :-

1)updated your Vipre and MBAM to todays "signatures - as TiMow mentioned .

2)your Monitor is now back to "normal" and the cartoon kids have gone and left and the desktop icons are in place .

3) the Firefox is now stabilised .

4)the PSI is working OK in "advanced" mode ; if so , which , if any , Adobe products does it display in any/all the tabs ?? Have you removed Adobe Flash Player completely ?? You need it to view many webpages correctly , perhaps this is the cause of your clicling , clicking !!

5)the PSI is showing you as having no "insecure" files/folders/programmes and that WinDVD Gold 5 is showing up in the "End of Life" tab ?! This programme does affect how you see and play videos so we need to look how to replace it (later) . i would be surprised if it affected your Monitor but we need to go there step by step .

6)PPV 2003 is showing in Add/Remove , but is it showing anywhere in the PSI , if so in which tab and what is the installation path ?! Do you have version 2007 of the viewer installed (which is where this all started :)))

Take your time and answer when you have time . No rush .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 18th Nov, 2010 22:57
yes, to the 1st 3 questions
i downloaded adobe flash player11 again

the 2 installation paths showing in secunia are both in end of life tab:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\PowerPoint Viewer\PPTVIEW.EXE

(shows up only in add/remove programs saying security update for ms pp 2003

and:

C:\Program Files\InterVideo\WinDVD\WinDVD.exe , is this all that is needed? thanx so much! ;-0

joy
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 18th Nov, 2010 23:58

Hi Joy ,

Getting late for me so let's do a bit now and carry on tomorrow .

Adobe Flash Player is at version 10.1.102.64 ; you can get the ActiveX version for IE from here :-

http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_ie/

and for Firefox you get the (non-IE) NPAPI plug-in :-

http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_fire...

You can use any browser to download either/both files to your normal download place . Then close and exit - using the tray icon or Task Manager - the PSI , any messenger type programmes , incredimail and anything that might use Flash ; then run the instalers .

Adobe Shockwave Player is at version 11.5.9.615 and you get it here ; just one download for all browsers :-

http://get.adobe.com/shockwave/

Follow the same routine as for Flash and deselect any "gifts" you may be offered .

Here is a very long thread about Intervideo's WinDVDGold for some background :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/249...

In order to see how it may or may not affect the running of your PC ,you need to get to this actual file :-

C:\Program Files\InterVideo\WinDVD\WinDVD.exe

You can navigate there using explorer or use the "open folder" icon as I suggested in my tips . At this stage I think it would be best to rename this file by right clicking it and selecting "rename " ; you can then add after the ".exe" the suffix "_old" (without the quotation marks ) , so making ...\WinDVD.exe_old .

This should stop it being accessed and it should disappear from the PSI display . See if it affects anything you normally do and of course the Monitor . You can reverse the process if you need to do so .

We'll do Power Point later .

Let us know your results ; if you have Flash and Shockwave correctly loaded they will show in the "patched" tab . Some games need the old 10 version of Shockwave to work and they will ask you/offer to download it ; it will be displayed as "insecure" or "EOL". How dangerous it is is debateable .

Catch you again tomorrow .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 19th Nov, 2010 16:20
though when i open the icon folder to see the path to add _old to .exe, i cannot find that exact pathway in program files under winDVD 5. when i tried to rename the folder it said that it would not work properly if i did so - now what? thank you Anthony!!! My husband was Welsh background :) me? Scot'Irish/cherokee indian:)

joy
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 19th Nov, 2010 16:49

Hi la belle Joy ,

DVDGOLD is "End of Life" (EOL) and so it is no longer supported by the vendor and you would not know/be told if it becomes insecure/vulnerable at any time , now or in the future ; so the reason to relabel/rename is so that it won't work properly and the bad guys cannot get to it and the PSI display stops annoying you . If it still lets your PC run correctly under it's new name , it can be deleted at a later date . The likelihood is that you will miss some sight or sound to a video player as you will lose Intervideo's codecs - as described by Eremita in her thread . The main reason for the test is to see if you get the Monitor problem back .

So do the renaming to the whole folder , same as deleting but reversible . You can delete it to the recycle bin and recover it later if you wish ; renaming is easier to adjudge .

Have you got Flash and Shockwave sorted ??

My background is 1/2 English , 1/2 Welsh and 1/2 Rubbish ; born in Lancashire and educated (?!) in Liverpool and Edinburgh . Worked with some Cherokees on some Highrises in T.O. , Canada - they are mad .

Keep up the good work and ask about anything that is not clear .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 21st Nov, 2010 00:35
I added _end to the name and then deleted it>>>>>>in recycle bin

do i need shockwave? i downloaded flash and all the others are up-to-date - i did not do this one though.

now - to ms pp 2003 end of life????? :) or ;0

oh, so far my monitor is fine - so far with the above - i had thought it had to do with microsoft pp being deleted before - then i did system restore.....dunno. thank you so much!

joy
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 21st Nov, 2010 01:41
I added _end to the name and then deleted it>>>>>>in recycle bin

do i need shockwave? i downloaded flash and all the others are up-to-date - i did not do this one though.

oh, so far my monitor is fine - so far with the above - i had thought it had to do with microsoft pp being deleted before - then i did system restore.....dunno. thank you so much!

joy
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 21st Nov, 2010 11:25
Last edited on 21st Nov, 2010 11:27
Hello Joy ,

I canot say if you need Shockwave . The odd programme on your PC may need it and many web games require it - the latter wil normally call for it and may even ask for the "EOL" version 10 . I would wait until you find a problem that needs/calls for it .

Glad the Monitor is back to speed . Keep DVDGolc in the "bin" for a while in case of emergency . Any codec problems we can handle Eremita style (if you read all that thread I guess you already knew my backgruond :))

I am not an M$ Office person as I use Open Office and the free standing PPT Viewer 2007 and there is plenty of history concerning this aspect of Office/PPT . So can you look at TiMow's first post (quoted below) and confirm what he was asking ; all that time ago !! But first :

go to M$ updates - be sure it is M$ and not just Windows updates - and check/select "custom" and see if you have any "priority" updates - ignore the non-priority for now ; if there are any download them ,reboot , revisit M$ updates and repeat the cycle until there are no "proirity" updates . Then do a full scan with the PSI .

on 10th Nov, 2010 16:40, TiMow wrote:
When "patched" (Microsoft Update), Power Point Viewer 2003 should have upgraded to PPV 2007; - but PPV 2003 is still present on your PC, which PSI is still reporting as insecure.

It is not telling you to keep applying the same patch - it is telling you that the old insecure version is still present - this has to be removed.

Can you confirm that you have M$ Office installed - of which PPV is a part; or is PPV stand alone? (i.e. only present on Start>All Programs list).

What is your Windows OS?

TiMow

We are getting there , maybe someone will join in to help us stagger across the line .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 21st Nov, 2010 19:28
I added _end to the name and then deleted it - put in recycle bin. the psi then showed it as gone.....checked the bin later - and it was GONE. I re-scanned and now it is showing up as EOL again. i found the path again, opened folder and scrolled to winDVDmanifest.exe and added _end - again......

i downloaded flash and all the others are up-to-date - i did not do shockwave though.

i went to m$office downloaded 2007sp2, it confirmed that it had been downloaded and SO re-scanned with PSI and it shows up the same, EOL in add/remove programs, it shows as 2003 updated, nothing about 2007 sp2 update.

i am not opposed to deleting the whole thing and getting open office, though all my mail and folders,etc. are on ms office (word)

joy
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 21st Nov, 2010 19:46

Hello Joy ,

Have to be quick we have a major electrical storm rolling around and am about to shut down .

Will be back tomorrow .

While you wait or knit or make Bara lLawr , try renaming the PPTVIEW.EXE file that the PSI is picking up in the "EOL" tab by adding _old to it ; to see if it works you will need to run a full scan . Then see if it changes anything you normally do with M$ Office .

See ya tomorrow .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 23rd Nov, 2010 00:20
Hi Anthony :)

I kept putting the _end on both programs, and today PSI reported I have no EOL issues, and am 100% :0 hope it stays that way.

You mentioned Open Office, do you like it a lot? Can I transfer all my e-mail, etc. to Outlook Express and get rid of it all M$ with no problems and is it more secure? Thank you for your help SO much!!!! Your response time and knowledge are incredible!!!! 5 stars for PSI!!!! :)

Joy
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 23rd Nov, 2010 23:06

Glad you are back in control , Joy . Am likely to be busy for a day or so , but will try to answer your question in detail ASAP .

Late here ; will catch you later .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 24th Nov, 2010 04:05
thanks so much ;0

joy
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 24th Nov, 2010 20:29

hi Joy ,

This (long:() thread by bjm and his earlier (shorter :)) thread - linked in his first post - may give you an insight into some parts of your "Office" question and perhaps raises other points :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/510...

I use Gmail and do not have need for an Email client , so I could not comment on your arrangements with Outlook , but it should work without M$ Office ; I use the freestanding PPT Viewer 2007 to read .pps files as I prefer it's presentation to that in Open Office (OOo) or Google Docs .

My guide when I started with a PC suggested that I compare OOo and M$ O and I found for my limited needs the early version's simplicity of OOo was all I needed . The latest version and the soon to be released upgrade matches a great deal of M$ O . As you have your M$ CD , then you could run them side by side , or if that takes up too much room , just have/try OOo and you still have the option to return to M$ . As with bjm , you need to do the testing , kick the tyres yourslf . Always follow rules 1 , 2 and three : "back up anything and anything you cannot afford to lose from/off your computer" !!

From a security pov , M$O suffers more attacks than OOo as it is so widely used and a big target ; however OOo uses Java to function correctly and that puts a big target on OOo . If you are fully patched with either programme the danger lies in you . Do you download files from P2P or dubious sources , do you open email attachments without a prescan , etc. The real problem is "less" the programme vulnerabilities (never to be ignored) but "more" what you feed it .

Ask again if you need anything else or if I've missed something out .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer