Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Problems Auto-Update: Language/Path

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI 2.0 Beta

This thread has been marked as locked.
JustAsking Problems Auto-Update: Language/Path
Member 12th Nov, 2010 12:23
Ranking: 1
User Since: 12th Nov, 2010
System Score: N/A
Iīve got two problems with the Auto-Update process.
First is the language. I know, that I can change the language for each auto-updateable program. But wouldnīt it be much easier to have a possibility to change the default language?
Second (and much more annoying) is the installation path of the auto-updates. Most of the programs on my computers are installed to drive D (to keep C as a system-drive only). The auto-updates are always installed into the default path of the program. So after a while I have patched copies on C and vulnerable copies on D... Is there a chance to change this behaviour?

But all over all I have to be (and I am) positive. The program is absolutely helpfull and I wonīt like return to times before it!!

Greetings
Karsten

Anthony Wells RE: Problems Auto-Update: Language/Path
Expert Contributor 12th Nov, 2010 17:06
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 12th Nov, 2010 17:12
Hello Karsten ,

Secunia are probably already gone for the weekend , PSI wise .

They are aware of the "bug" of the "default" language settings currently all being English when there is a possibility of choice and have said that they are looking into it . All the other PSI Beta solutions direct download links are otherwise international/English (as it's the Beta and not translated ).

However , there could still be a problem where a programme insecurity updating is initialised in only the most common /International/English language versions and some localisation lags . This has been a problem with Open Office for example .

As far as C and D is concerned , you could select to only scan D , and then C is not actually scanned at all ; perhaps this would encourage the PSI to select D as the dl location . Let us know .

With all the speed and space on modern PC's fewer people seem to be using C and D partitions as you are ,but still !

Hope that helps .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
JustAsking RE: Problems Auto-Update: Language/Path
Member 13th Nov, 2010 10:22
Score: 1
User Since: 12th Nov 2010
Hey Anthony,
OK. I gave it a try. And thatīs what I did:

Opening PSI, Configuration | Settings | Drives. Disable all but D:
Deinstalling Firefox 3.6.12 and
Reinstalling Firefox 3.6 (so PSi has got something to do :-) ).
Opening PSI: Scan Results | Mozialla Firefox | DoubleCLick | Preferred Language: German (Needless to say, that at this moment there was just one copy of Firefox on the system...) The detected version was 3.6, program state Insecure. No surprise so far.
PSI: Settings | Enable automatic program updates.

Switching back to scan results the "Install Solution" for Firefox was "Downloading file", changing to "Download complete", changing to "Update scheduled".
It took some time then it reads "Waiting for update to complete".
And thatīs it. Nothing happens after that.
Checking the Drives manually I saw a fresh Installation on Drive C, so I got the idea, that itīs the result of not-scanning Drive C:. So I switched Drive C: back on and...
Yes. The scan result changed to "100%", the # of installed copies of Firefox changed to 2 and the paths where: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" and "D:\Programme\Anwendungen\Firefox\firefox.exe".
So I had two Installations: One patched on C: and one vulnerable on D:. But - at least - both of them where german! So the per-program-language-choice worked!

My conclusion is: Good Idea - but it didnīt do the trick :-)

Greetings
Karsten
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Anthony Wells RE: Problems Auto-Update: Language/Path
Expert Contributor 13th Nov, 2010 12:35
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hello Karsten ,

As I understand , Secunia always set their rules to cover the default download of a programme , as in C:\Program Files\.. Whether/how they can change this I am not sure ; in the past non-default locations have caused/given detection problems .

if you select the "prompt before.......updates" in configuration->settings (as I have) this allows you to decide when/if the auto-update runs . Then you could check it works and then "cut and paste" the actual new folder from C to D . D will still advise you when there are updates .

Messy : and to be honest , I much prefer to use the/any programme's internal updater from the "help or tools menus" ; both the vendors and Secunia tend to say that this is the best/first choice anyway . I also read the changelog beforehand , so that I know what I am downloading ; I only really use the "A-U" to help test the Beta . On the same basis , I use "custom" select at M$updates .

Still , it would be of interest to hear what PSI have to say on Monday .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability