Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Non disappearence after "solution"

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
shmendrik Non disappearence after "solution"
Member 12th Nov, 2010 17:42
Ranking: 0
User Since: 11th Nov, 2010
System Score: N/A
I have very recently added Secunia and am not an experienced computer user.
Sun Java JRE 1.6x
Adobe SVG Viewer 1.x
Niether of these disappear after several attempts at the Solution.
My OS is Windows 7 on a 64bit machine.
shmendrik

Maurice Joyce RE: Non disappearence after "solution"
Handling Contributor 12th Nov, 2010 18:25
Score: 11865
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
FINDING A FILE PATH

ALL PSI VERSIONS EXCEPT VERSION 2 (BETA)

To locate the exact file that the Secunia PSI has detected, use or switch to the ADVANCED interface, then :

1 Click on the + sign of the programme to "expand' it.
2 Click on Technical Details in the Toolbox to see the installation path of the detected file. (Copy (CTRL+C) & paste (CTRL+V) the Installation Path of the file back to the Forum.

PSI VERSION 2 (BETA)

From the DASHBOARD page click on SCAN RESULTS.

1. This will list all your programmes with a + to the left of each one.
2. Click the + sign next to the item that U want help with.
3. This will reveal the path under DETECTED INSTANCES.
4. Highlight it then copy (CTRL+C) then paste (CTRL+V) that path back to the Forum.

Update 7 18:43 02/10/2010

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
shmendrik RE: Non disappearence after "solution"
Member 13th Nov, 2010 07:41
Score: 0
User Since: 11th Nov 2010
Thank you Maurice
The version I am using is :- Secunia PSI v1.5.0.2
I changed to ADVANCED as instructed but despite a diligent search could not
find any + sign or Toolbox.
shmendrik
Was this reply relevant?
+0
TiMow RE: Non disappearence after "solution"
Dedicated Contributor 13th Nov, 2010 08:08
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
In PSI Advanced mode, your problem insecure programs will be found in either "Insecure" or "End-of-Life tabs" - along the top of window, look for red lettering.

Click on the relevant tab, and on left of each listing you will see "[+]" - click this to reveal installation path details and toolbox icons. (By clicking the program name itself, has the same effect).

N.B. - the same is also present under "Patched" tab, when required.

TiMow

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
jlcaldwe RE: Non disappearence after "solution"
Member 16th Nov, 2010 14:26
User Since: 16th Nov 2010
I am having the same problem. Secunia says the threat is there and when I try to fix it my computer says I already installed. So why is Secunia telling me I am still at risk for something I already fixed? It confuses and aggravates me!

I am new to Secunia. I am not running version 2. I went to Advanced. I was able to click on the Insecure tab and see the file path you guys are talking about, but I am lost as to what to do from there. Why am I copying and pasting the file path the Forum? I'm not even sure I know what that means. You want me to paste the file path here in a message?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
jlcaldwe RE: Non disappearence after "solution"
Member 16th Nov, 2010 15:19
User Since: 16th Nov 2010
Well here are the programs in the end-of-life tab that I cannot find on add/remove programs and their file paths. I have tried the uninstall.exe file for the Adobe Shockwave player V10.x, but Secunia is still listing it here. I have re-scanned the computer and rebooted. Still there. Can you help me with removing these old programs? Thanks for your help, jessica

End-of-Life Programs [?] Version Detected [?] Threat Rating [?] Direct [?]

Adobe Shockwave Player 10.x 10.3.0.24
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Shockwave 10\SwOnce.dll

Macromedia Flash Player 5.x 5.0.44.0 (ActiveX)
D:\i386\Apps\App10224\swflash.ocx

Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2003 11.0.5703.0
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\PowerPoint Viewer\PPTVIEW.EXE

Sun Java JRE 1.5.x / 5.x 5.0.20.9
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\java.exe
Was this reply relevant?
+0
TiMow RE: Non disappearence after "solution"
Dedicated Contributor 16th Nov, 2010 16:22
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
Last edited on 16th Nov, 2010 17:24
@jlcaldwe

It may have been better to start your own thread, than to tag on the back of this one, but never mind.

Even if you've updated to latest versions, PSI will continue to detect previous insecure versions that weren't fully removed with the last and previous updates - which is what is happening here. These insecurities must be found and dealt with.

on 13th Nov, 2010 08:08, TiMow wrote:

Click on the relevant tab, and on left of each listing you will see "[+]" - click this to reveal installation path details and toolbox icons. (By clicking the program name itself, has the same effect).

If, having done the above (in quote box), clicking on the Open Folder icon takes you to the file location, of each program.

1) Adobe Shockwave Player 10.x 10.3.0.24
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Shockwave 10\SwOnce.dll
- this is old (current is: 11.5.9.615 ) - use open folder to go file location, where you should see files for Shockwave11 (current) and Shockwave10 (old) - right click the old one and delete.

[EDIT: You may not see the 2 files together - my Shockwave11 is under Adobe (on XP), not Macromed (C:\WINDOWS\system32\Adobe\Shockwave 11); Macromedia became (was taken over by) Adobe - hence the difference. You can check your current Shockwave in "Patched" tab, by clicking on one of the entries for Adobe Shockwave, and seeing the Installation Path. But it is still the Macromed\Shockwave 10 that needs deleting]**see below.

2)Macromedia Flash Player 5.x 5.0.44.0 (ActiveX)
D:\i386\Apps\App10224\swflash.ocx
- what is your D drive used for?; C\i386\ is a windows restore/back-up location and represents no threat - likewise, programs here don't get updated. Depending on your use of D drive you could set up an ignore rule (PSI wont report this after each scan, tho' it still remains). You can click [+] by its listing, then "Ignore Program" icon, or create a global ignore rule (for all files in D:\i386\ )at the bottom of the "Settings" Tab - Create Ignore Rule (click), then for Rule Name: type "Windows restore/backup folder (D drive)" and for Rule: type "D:\i386\ "; then finally click Save Ignore Rule.

3)Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2003 11.0.5703.0
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\PowerPoint Viewer\PPTVIEW.EXE
- this too is old - M$ update should have updated this to PPV 2007 - check by looking in Start>All programs list where you should see PPV 2003 and PPV 2007, if correctly updated. Use Open Folder for PPV 2003 (End-of-Life tab), and from the Office 11 folder (click), look for the PPTVIEW.EXE icon on r.h.s. and delete.

4)Sun Java JRE 1.5.x / 5.x 5.0.20.9
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\java.exe
- another old one - look for this in Add/Remove Programs (Control Panel) - highlight and click Remove. Any other references to Java, here, except latest "Java (TM) 6 Update 22" (which should be left), can also be removed.

Re-boot and re-scan PSI - post back if you have problems.

TiMow

**If problems, then download SW uninstaller from here, and re-install Shockwave (for your OS) from the same link:

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/alternates...

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+