Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: PSI aborts scan, no programs or solutions shows

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
mikeb125 PSI aborts scan, no programs or solutions shows
Member 14th Nov, 2010 03:10
Ranking: 0
User Since: 26th Jan, 2008
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 14th Nov, 2010 03:12

PSI will not finish a scan - it just aborts. Nothing shows - no programs, no alerts, no solutions. I needed to update Adobe Flash (per PSI): I first downloaded the solution (1 of 4 from PSI) & saved it. I then used Adobe's uninstaller to remove old versions of Flash. Had to close browser (FFox), then restarted FF & installed Flash Player 10L. At this point, PSI stopped behaving normally.The Overview screen stated "No info available, scan not finished". I waited but nothing seemed to be happening, so I manually started a scan. It would not finish - PSI aborted the scan (numerous times). I rebooted - no change. I have used PSI since it came out. Any suggestions?

NemooS RE: PSI aborts scan, no programs or solutions shows
Member 14th Nov, 2010 03:23
Score: 1
User Since: 1st Dec 2008
System Score: N/A
Hello I down loaded the flash player update yesterday it works fine,but I have the same thing happening with PSI it shows that I have nothing on my PC and when I try to run a scan it runs for approx. 6 seconds and the scan abort pops up.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Tiernan RE: PSI aborts scan, no programs or solutions shows
Member 14th Nov, 2010 03:28
Score: 0
User Since: 4th Aug 2009
I have the same problem. The scan starts running, then aborts. No data concerning any programs installed on my computer, no history of scans, etc. My profile is still intact, but PSI is acting like I've just installed it & it's running its first scan. Repeated attempts to scan result in an abort. Maybe something to do with attempting to download data from the server in step 2?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ronycoca RE: PSI aborts scan, no programs or solutions shows
Member 14th Nov, 2010 03:31
User Since: 14th Nov 2010
Similar Problem

Previous Beta worked fine. Beta 2 scans but shows no detected programs, System Score 0%, No dashboard, no programs listed.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
thedillpickl RE: PSI aborts scan, no programs or solutions shows
Contributor 14th Nov, 2010 04:40
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
Last edited on 14th Nov, 2010 04:57
Hi All;

There seems to be several problem tonight, Secunia will be on top of this Monday morning.

See this http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/635...

Thanks;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
TeeCee RE: PSI aborts scan, no programs or solutions shows
Member 14th Nov, 2010 05:24
User Since: 5th Apr 2009
Last edited on 14th Nov, 2010 05:35
Mine is doing the same thing.. I start the scan, it goes 3/4 of the way thru, and then "SCAN ABORTED" I am using PSI V.1.5.0.2. Also, it shows no programs, no last scan, I do hope this is just a glitch. Hopefully, fixed soon so we can continue to scan? Thanks!

Windows XP PRO SP3
Secunia PSI V. 1.5.0.2
IE7 & FF
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Leendert Kip PSI aborts scan, no programs or solutions shows
Member 14th Nov, 2010 07:46
Score: 70
User Since: 22nd Jan 2009
It's solved now at 7.00hrs Amsterdam time. I assume there were server problems or maintenance last night. Run a manually started full scan and you see.

--
PC: JJ Computer Services
Intel Core I3 2100 3.1Ghz
DDR3 Kingston ValueRam 4GB 1333
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits SP1
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 9
Mozilla Firefox 31NL

Laptop: MSI GT780DX
Intel Core I5-2450
DDR3 RAM 6GB
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits SP1
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 31NL
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Chi_Town_2 RE: PSI aborts scan, no programs or solutions shows
Member 14th Nov, 2010 09:19
Fix internet connection after Security Tool Virus

Here are some ideas of the fallout that occurs to your Internet settings after some infections have been removed and how to set things straight.

Depending on how you removed the infection (the removal procedure is well documented), there are sometimes a few other things to do afterwards.

Some malware knows you will try to get in the Internet to try to find a removal method so it adjusts things on your system to prevent you from doing so. Even if you remove the malware using some scanning tools, the tools can't tell if the Internet settings have been changed by malware or you set them that way on purpose so it leaves the settings alone (and your system unable to connect).

The malware hopes that you will not be able to figure these things out and give up and just reinstall your XP, doing a Repair Install or using a Restore Point. Sometimes it breaks those things too, but you can usually fix it without using any of those methds (which are not really fixes at all)..

If you reinstalled XP, this may not apply to your situation, but it would be a good start:

Let's verify your network connection properties.

Some malware will tamper with these settings and your anti malware software can't tell if you changed them or malware changed them so after removing any infections, it will just leave the settings as it finds them (this is usually a good thing) but may leave your Internet access disabled.

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

inetcpl.cpl

Click OK to launch the Internet Properties control panel applet, choose Connections, LAN settings.

Or, from Internet Explorer click Tools, Internet Options, Connections, LAN Settings.

These settings control your Internet access for all browsers.

On most non corporate environments, there will be a check in Automatically detect settings and the other boxes are (like Proxy server) are UNchecked.

Automatically detect setting = checked
Use automatic configuration script = UNchecked
Use a proxy server for your LAN = UNchecked

Make any adjustments and click OK, OK to save the settings.

Check your settings for the way your network adapter obtains it's IP and DNS settings. On most home systems, these settings should be set so the system will obtain the settings automatically.

If you have another system on your network that is working, you can compare those settings with the settings on the system that is not working and make adjustments.

Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Network Connections and select your current network connection.

On the General tab, click Properties.

In the drop down list in the middle, locate and highlight the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) selection and click Properties.

In the Internet Protocol Properties window, the usual selections are to obtain the IP and DNS settings automatically. Enable the following two options:

Obtain an IP address automatically

Obtain DNS Server address automatically

The rest of the options in the screen should then be grayed out/unavailable.

Make any adjustments and click OK, OK to save the settings.

Restart your computer and test your connectivity.

If it still doesn't work, verify your adjustments are still in place after a restart and then release and renew the IP configuration settings from your network device.

cmd

Click OK to open a command prompt window and then type in the following commands:

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
exit

Restart your computer and test your connectivity.

If that doesn't work, do this:

Please provide additional information about your system:

What is your system make and model?

What is your XP Version and Service Pack?

Describe your current antivirus and anti malware situation: McAfee, Norton, Spybot, AVG, Avira!, MSE, Defender, ZoneAlarm, PC Tools, Comodo, etc.

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select All, Copy and then paste the information back here.

There will be some personal information (like System Name and User Name), and whatever appears to be private information to you, just delete it from the pasted information.

This will minimize back and forth Q&A and eliminate guesswork.

-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------

Do, or do not. There is no try.

I need YOUR votes and points for helpful replies and Propose as Answers. I am saving up for a pony!

Marked As Answer byDena - Support EngineerMicrosoft Support, ModeratorFriday, November 05, 2010 1:34 PMMarked As Answer byDena - Support EngineerMicrosoft Support, ModeratorFriday, November 05, 2010 1:32 PMUnmarked As Answer byDena - Support EngineerMicrosoft Support, ModeratorFriday, November 05, 2010 1:32 PM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ronycoca RE: PSI aborts scan, no programs or solutions shows RESOLVED
Member 14th Nov, 2010 15:08
Resolved Sunday Morning Mexico Central Time 8:00am
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mikeb125 RE: PSI aborts scan, no programs or solutions shows
Member 14th Nov, 2010 16:48
User Since: 26th Jan 2008
Last edited on 14th Nov, 2010 16:51
Yes I can run a scan now, but my PSI Overview screen does not show anything of the "Historic Development". I have installed Flash multiple times (to FFox & IE), the popup says it was installed OK - but I do not have any bars showing my status. I don't seem to have any other problems - none have occurred yet, anyway.

One note: the flash file I downloaded & installed first is labeled install_flash_player.exe

From previous updates of flash (using PSI's solutions), I also have a file labeled install_flash_player_ax.exe dated Sept. 29,2010.

Clicking on this gives a popup saying it is not the latest version & gives a link to the latest version on Flash website, which installed OK, but I still don't have any History bars on my Overview page. All other pages look normal.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
TiMow RE: PSI aborts scan, no programs or solutions shows
Dedicated Contributor 14th Nov, 2010 16:59
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
Last edited on 14th Nov, 2010 17:09
Mike

From your 2 posts on this thread, I can't see which PSI you have - but It looks like 1.5.0.2.

The 2 flash files you list:

- install_flash_player.exe - this is flash (NPAPI) plug-in for Firefox and other non-IE browsers -- full link is:
http://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flashplayer/curren...

and

- install_flash_player_ax.exe - this is flash ActiveX for IE and PSI graphics -- full link is:

You need to install both - if you don't have the second, for ActiveX, then you wont have the PSI graphics.

TiMow

EDIT: Although the ActiveX link I've given is the same as you've previously used, because you're probably looking at it from your downloads, the downloaded file will be a previous version, which is why it's informing you to such - every time you use this link I've given, it should take you to the latest version to download.

P.S. Check to see if both current flash - NPAPI and ActiveX - are showing in Patched tab, as it still could be PSI playing up.

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Nov, 2010 17:12
Last edited on 14th Nov, 2010 17:21
Thank you, it is working fine now, scan and bars and everything is working as it should. I am sure it was an issue with the updater. I have to update an "ADOBE FLASH PLAYER 10X ACTIVE X"

But now that it has scanned, I am now downloading the update.. Not an easy feat on dial up!! But, do-able. :)

Mine is only showing the NAPI as updated, but not the Active X. All should be good once this is done. Thank you for your time .

This is the link it gave me for the active x:

Windows XP Pro SP3
Secunia PSI V. 1.5.0.2
IE7 & FF
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mikeb125 RE: PSI aborts scan, no programs or solutions shows
Member 14th Nov, 2010 17:54
User Since: 26th Jan 2008
ALL IS WELL NOW - THANKS.
I did another reboot and it is worrking fine.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
TiMow RE: PSI aborts scan, no programs or solutions shows
Dedicated Contributor 14th Nov, 2010 18:07
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
TeeCee

The link you've given, should be fine for the latest ActiveX update.

If you're having problems with it, though, try the following:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_ie/

Remember, before installing the update, you need to close all browsers, messenger and PSI (right click tray icon to Exit fully), so the old .ocx file is removed.

You may also need to re-boot and re-scan PSI afterwards.

TiMow

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Nov, 2010 18:27
Hi Tim, yes, the link Secunia gave me worked fine, and yup, I always do the close everything, reboot with all my updates. All is fine now, I have my 100% score back! :) Thank you, and that is good info for others. Have a great day!

Windows XP PRO
Secunia PSI V. 1.5.0.2
IE7 & FF
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+