Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Microsoft Powerpoint 2003

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

See the original Secunia vulnerability report for:
Microsoft Powerpoint 2003

Relating to this vendor:
Microsoft
And, this specific program:
Microsoft Powerpoint 2003

Secunia Microsoft Powerpoint 2003
Secunia Official 16th Nov, 2010 16:35
Ranking: 0
User Since: -
System Score: -
Vulnerability report: Microsoft Powerpoint 2003

MedDoc RE: Microsoft Powerpoint 2003
Member 16th Nov, 2010 16:35
Score: 2
User Since: 5th Jan 2008
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 16th Nov, 2010 16:36
Secunia tells me that I have a problem with PP 2003 for which the vendor provides a patch. MS Update tells me that I am fully up to date and there are no new patches.
I'm confused. What am I supposed to do now?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
TiMow RE: Microsoft Powerpoint 2003
Dedicated Contributor 16th Nov, 2010 16:46
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
System Score: N/A
M$ update should have updated this to PPV 2007 - check by looking in Start>All programs list where you should see PPV 2003 and PPV 2007, if correctly updated.

If using PSI 1.5.0.2, click "Advanced" (top right of window), then OK. Click on "End of Life" tab, then on "[+]" on left of PPV 2003, to go to file location.

(If using 2.0 beta, then also click "[+]" on left of PPV 2003 in Scan Results).

From the Office 11 folder (click), look for the PPTVIEW.EXE icon on r.h.s. and right click and delete.

Re-boot and re-scan PSI.

Any problems - post back here.

TiMow

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 16th Nov, 2010 20:24
Thanks very much for trying to help, TiMow.

One problem though: it's not an EoL PPV that is causing the trouble but an insecure PP.

The "Insecure" tab gives
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\POWERPNT.EXE
and
Version detected 11.0.8324.0

The link to Ms Update leads nowhere - well, not nowhere, but MS update thinks there's nothing to be updated. Advice: buy PP 2010 (with the awful ribbon, not likely).

I'd like to get my score back to 100% !

MedDoc
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Nov, 2010 00:00
Several rescans of the offending Powerpoint led to renewed warnings. But after a complete rescan of the entire system PSI has now, for reasons only known to itself, decided that Powerpoint is no threat anymore.

No idea why this happened. Still, my score is back to 100% and that's the main thing.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Microsoft Powerpoint 2003
Expert Contributor 18th Nov, 2010 11:44
Score: 2454
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hello MedDoc ,

All M$ updates require a reboot and full manual rescan for them to validate correctly . A revisit to M$updates is often required and the reboot , full rescan , revisit cycle repeated until M$ updates has nothing to offer ; followed by one more reboot (even cold start) and full scan .

Individual rescan of many programmes can be unsatisfactory .

Hope that clears things up a little .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Nov, 2010 12:07
You're quite right,, Anthony, thanks.

But in this case nothing was updated and I did not reboot. PSI (1.5.0.2, by the way) apparently changed its mind

Recapitulating:

- PSI informed me out of the blue (several days after a scheduled scan) that my PowerPoint 2003 was a threat to security.
- The update link took me to MS Update, which to my surprise found nothing that needed an update. Thus no update was performed.
- I scanned PowerPoint again, same warning.
- I did a full system scan and the warning had gone.

Perhaps PSI had a bad hair day. Anyway, 'theirs not to reason why' etc., everything works and the system is safe. So who am I to complain.

John
Was this reply relevant?
+0
TiMow RE: Microsoft Powerpoint 2003
Dedicated Contributor 18th Nov, 2010 13:04
Score: 737
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
@MedDoc

John, glad you were able to sort things out. Sorry, I was unable to respond further, after my initial reply, but I have been experiencing some problems with my laptop over the last few days.
Although, not yet 100% sorted, this reply is part of my process of finding out what is still effected.

Where there's been a problem reported, in the recent past, relating to PPV 2003, it seemed to show in E-o-L tab (including myself), and the solution for me, was to apply and re-apply M$ updates (I don't use M$ Office**), to PPV 2007 - and others who have M$ Office, seemed to have to find and delete "PPTVIEW.EXE " from the Office 11 folder, to clear the problem, after updating to PPV 2007.

You seem to have fallen somewhere in between, as you report that PSI now doesn't list PPV 2003 as insecure (or E-o-L?).

**I have a copy of M$ Office 2007, still in its cellophane, that my wife picked up through a discounted bulk purchase through her work. I remain happy with O.O.o. (for my limited needs), and have never got round to installing it. Judging by the problems that are reported from time to time, here, and my own latest problems, I probably wont, on this laptop.

TiMow

--
Computing is not yet a perfect science - it still requires humans.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 18th Nov, 2010 13:20
I had PPV warnings a long time ago, TiMow, and it was easily updated. Why the warning re PP was given, I have no idea. it must have been an error.

I too have an unused copy of Office 2007, and one which I installed once but swiftly removed because of the user-unfriendly interface. But I do need Office 2003 because of Access. The OOo base does not come close. Neither does Filemaker.

John
Was this reply relevant?
+0

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+