Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Adobe Reader 9.4.1 not recognized on some computers

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Adobe Systems
And, this specific program:
Adobe Reader 9.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
bjherbison Adobe Reader 9.4.1 not recognized on some computers
Member 17th Nov, 2010 11:49
Ranking: 0
User Since: 24th Jun, 2010
System Score: N/A
This morning an Adobe Reader update message popped up on my families computers and I installed 9.4.1. I then scanned with PSI and on two computers the scan report said 9.4.0.195 was detected, but Reader/Help/About reports 9.4.1.

The new version was correctly detected on a third computer (running Windows 7, the other two are running Windows XP).

bjherbison RE: Adobe Reader 9.4.1 not recognized on some computers
Member 17th Nov, 2010 12:08
Score: 0
User Since: 24th Jun 2010
I tried "Rescan Program" on one of the XP computers and it still didn't notice the newer version of Adobe Reader was installed.

I checked the PSI scan results, and only one version of Reader is listed -- this isn't a case of the old version being left behind by the new installer.

I looked at the version information for AcroRd32.exe and the file version properties show 9.4.0.195, but the 9.4.0.195 version is shown both on XP (Properties/Version) and on Windows 7 (Properties/Details) where PSI obviously uses a different method to determine the displayed version.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: Adobe Reader 9.4.1 not recognized on some computers
Expert Contributor 17th Nov, 2010 12:44
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Hello.
The detection engine in psi has not altered fundamentally from one version to another....in that way the psi 2.0 Beta is no different to the previous versions.
For each detected instance of Adobe you should be able to find a corresponding file path. Alongside each entry...patched/updated or insecure/vulnerable....you will see a +sign....clicking on that will expand the entry to reveal it....in the case of 2.0 Beta two clicks will reveal more info.
You seem already aware about left-over files detection.....Secunia will continue to detect them, even if they still reside in the Recycle bin.
Your post makes very tangled and unclear reading....are you using different versions of psi at the same time ? Have you thought of creating some uniformity to negate the possibility of conflicts ?
If you need further help, please provide the file paths to the versions detected, when, hopefully, someone will be able to help you......regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 17th Nov, 2010 13:30
on 17th Nov, 2010 12:44, mogs wrote:
For each detected instance of Adobe you should be able to find a corresponding file path. Alongside each entry...patched/updated or insecure/vulnerable....you will see a +sign....clicking on that will expand the entry to reveal it....in the case of 2.0 Beta two clicks will reveal more info.

Yes, I looked at the file, and on all three computers the file points to the latest version of Adobe Reader. When I looked at the file properties I used that version.

Your post makes very tangled and unclear reading....

I'm sorry, here is the summary: On two Windows XP systems with Adobe Reader 9.4.1 installed, Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta says Adobe Reader 9.0.195 is installed. On Windows 7, Adobe Reader 9.4.1 is detected correctly.

are you using different versions of psi at the same time ? Have you thought of creating some uniformity to negate the possibility of conflicts ?

I'm using Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta on three computers. All three have the November Beta. All three had Adobe Reader 9.4.1 installed via Adobe update software this morning. Two are old and running Windows XP, one is new and running Windows 7.

If you need further help, please provide the file paths to the versions detected, when, hopefully, someone will be able to help you......regards,

The file path on the Windows XP systems is C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Adobe Reader 9.4.1 not recognized on some computers
Expert Contributor 17th Nov, 2010 15:47
Score: 2414
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 17th Nov, 2010 15:51
Hello ,

Initial problems of version detection by the PSI concerning Adobe products immediately after updates are not new ; Acrobat always seems delayed , for exapmle .

The Secunia rules often use one file to detect the programme :eg: AcroRD32.exe and another file for version detection (?) ; this being necessary when all the programme files are not updated together . A platform update tends to renew all files , a patch probably will not .

In the past Secunia have advised to update from within the programme - using it's "Help" menu - when possible and to take the programme's "about" details as most probably correct .

The latest PSI Beta shows the update "immediaterly" for many programmes without any scan , but not in all cases . In my experience , the individual rescan is seldom satisfactory and in the case of Reader a reboot (or cold restart) and full rescan may be necessary .

Why there should be a difference between XP and 7 in the PSI reporting/displaying , I cannot say .

Hope this is helpful .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Tommie RE: Adobe Reader 9.4.1 not recognized on some computers
Member 17th Nov, 2010 18:27
User Since: 11th Apr 2008
Ive got the same problem on two systems, both running Windows 7 Home Premium in the 64-bit variant!

The Acrobat.dll is the version 9.4.0.195 and Acrobat itself states it is version 9.4.1 and there are no further updates available! I tried the integrated update version from Acrobat itself as well as the stand alone update file.

A report about that issue was already send to Secunia via support@secunia.com!

Cheers

Thomas
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 17th Nov, 2010 19:02
Last edited on 17th Nov, 2010 19:03
Hello Thomas ,

The file Secunia use to detect the version of the programme can be far from obvious and quite well hidden ; probably not the .dll this time .

From what you say , you are probably correctly updated .

Could you post back here the reply you get from Secunia support so that other concerned users are kept in the picture . Thank you .

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Timothy_J._McGowan RE: Adobe Reader 9.4.1 not recognized on some computers
Member 18th Nov, 2010 03:19
Score: 4
User Since: 18th Nov 2010
I'm having a similar issue -- but with Adobe Acrobat Pro 9.4.1.

Windows 7, 64-bit, fully patched. Secunia PSI v1.5.0.2.

Installation Path:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.dll

I assume this means that it's that file that's the test, at least on this system. The file's properties, on the Details tab, show the file version as 9.4.0.195. The program, however, when I use Help, About Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro..., displays the version as 9.4.1.

When I rename the dll file, Secunia's PSI no longer has a problem.

However, the executable Acrobat.exe has the same file version: 9.4.0.195 rather than 9.4.1.

When I start the program with the renamed dll, the file gets regenerated, and Secunia's PSI alerts me to its not being updated.

The foregoing was all about Adobe Acrobat; I also have Adobe Reader installed and updated.

In this instance again, the executable and dll have file versions of 9.4.0.195 and the program reports itself as being 9.4.1. Oddly, however, Secunia's PSI accepts that program as fully updated.

Hope this helps sort out the problem.

Timothy J. McGowan
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Tommie RE: Adobe Reader 9.4.1 not recognized on some computers
Member 18th Nov, 2010 06:23
User Since: 11th Apr 2008
Ups, sorry! In my constellation it is NOT the Acrobat Reader but it is Adobe Acrobat 9.4.1 Pro, too!

And ... up to now no response from Secunia concerning this issue ;) !
Was this reply relevant?
+0
BLindow RE: Adobe Reader 9.4.1 not recognized on some computers
Secunia Official 18th Nov, 2010 10:19
Score: 35
User Since: 6th Nov 2009
Hi.

I have made some updates to our rules.
Could i get you to make a full scan with Secunia PSI.
Member 18th Nov, 2010 14:44
on 18th Nov, 2010 10:19, BLindow wrote:
I have made some updates to our rules.
Could i get you to make a full scan with Secunia PSI.

Thank you for the response. I rescanned on two systems, and the problem went away on one. (The other is limping along and will likely be replaced soon after I get a new job.)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Nov, 2010 22:32
BLindow:

Scan now completes without problem. Thanks for your attention to this!

-- Timothy J. McGowan
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mbrazil RE: Adobe Reader 9.4.1 not recognized on some computers
Member 21st Nov, 2010 04:22
User Since: 2nd Feb 2008
System Score: 92%
After installing the latest update from Adobe (supposedly 9.4.1), the Windows file Properties dialogs for AcroRd32.exe, AcroRd32.dll, and AcroRd32info.exe all indicate version 9.4.0.195. The About dialog displayed within Reader says it's 9.4.1. Looks like this is (another) Adobe problem.

The solution to this is for someone to fix Adobe. They're sloppy.

--
Mike Brazil
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 21st Nov, 2010 21:57
Explanation on behalf of Adobe posted here, for what it's worth:
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/753873?tstart=60

If you're not interested in reading another forum, the suggestion is essentially that the executable and dll files didn't need to be updated in order to fix the latest vulnerability. And as I recall, the latest vulnerability was in Acrobat and Reader's handling of Flash content, so it makes sense that a different dll would have been the one that really needed to be updated.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 22nd Nov, 2010 13:40

Hello All ,

As I pointed out in my earlier posts to this thread , the file used by the PSI to detect the version is not obvious ; furthermore as Adobe use platform builds then the PSI's chosen version detection file "frequently" is not updated . This was equally the case when the "authplay.dll" file has needed updating in the past (twice as I recall) due to a library and flash insecurity .

The problem is for the PSI to update it's detection rules accordingly and it is not instantaneous - especially if weekends are involved . This leads to many threads and lots of (rehashed:(( discussion and criticism .

Acrobat has always seemed to be behind Reader on the PSI rule change schedule .

Secunia say quite clearly , as do Adobe , that :-

1)the programme's internal updater is the first choice

2)make sure you patch incrementally

3)if the programme's "about" say you are up to date you most likely are .

4)do a full system scan , a reboot is sometimes helpful with Adobe products .

Any other update problems currently only seem to concern the "auto-update" in the PSI Beta which seems to be a Beta problem .

Future problems are likely to be more of the same with the same solutions . Although the new Adobe X may add some grist to the mill ; at least it's "sandboxing" offers a security plus :-

http://www.adobe.com/uk/products/reader.html

Hope that helps .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability