Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Complete Disaster with PSI 2.0 Beta

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI 2.0 Beta

This thread has been marked as locked.
pudelein Complete Disaster with PSI 2.0 Beta
Member 18th Nov, 2010 19:59
Ranking: 1
User Since: 16th Jan, 2008
System Score: 100%
I have been faced for some time with an apparent conflict between Avira AntiVir 10 and PSI 1.5 on my Windows XP SP3 system: when I boot the system (either cold or a restart), the AV10 GUI usually fails to "open its umbrella" and this must be done manually, only a nuisance, but really a nuisance! I hoped that perhaps the new PSI 2.0 Beta might be structured enough differently. I have twice downloaded the current version of the Beta and installed it. I have been able to verify that the new structure (separate service, tray tool, and "PSI') does indeed appear to avoid the problem described. Great!

Unfortunately, when I start PSI2, it reports "Unable to retrieve PSI user ID from Secunia". I can indeed access https://psi.secunia.com from any of my browsers [IE8, SeaMonkey 2.0.10, Firefox 3.6.12 (default)]., so real connectivity is not the issue. I can simply not get past this point. I have tried making IE8 the default, reboots at numerous places, and a good deal of bad language, but nothing works. I should note that I opted out of the automatic updates for now, but this presumably does not alter the initial communication effort.

I am forced back to PSI 1.5.0.2 once again, where no communication issue of any sort exists. I can only hope that someone has a suggestion that may make it possible to get the Beta working fully.

mogs RE: Complete Disaster with PSI 2.0 Beta
Expert Contributor 18th Nov, 2010 21:14
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
Hello.
I know you stated that you'd tried making IE8 your default browser....but did you do that before trying to upgrade to 2.0 Beta, or afterwards ? I've found that it can help.
Lots of XP users have been unsuccessful tho'.....some have had to revert to 1.5.0.1.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
pudelein RE: Complete Disaster with PSI 2.0 Beta
Member 19th Nov, 2010 17:55
Score: 1
User Since: 16th Jan 2008
Last edited on 19th Nov, 2010 17:56
@mogs

Thanks for your suggestion, which I have tried this morning, although I was pretty sure it would fail, as it did. The series of events was as follows:

Thoroughly removed PSI 1.5.0.2 using Revo Uninstall. Set IE8 as my default browser (I hate doing this, but,,,). Rebooted. [Since there was no PSI version present, of course the AntiVir umbrella opened us rather quickly.] Downloadede PSI2SetupBeta.exe using IE8. Installed the Beta in the usual way [Again, not auto updates selected]. Started PSI when this was suggested and again got the error message concerning retrieval of user ID, after roughly two minutes [the psia,exe log sets a 120 s timeout]. Finally, I rebooted once more: this verified the point that the AntiVir umbrella opens promptly with the Beta installed. But again there was no joy concerning the user ID.

Finally, I reverted everything, removing the Beta with Revo Uninstall; setting FX as default browser; rebooting yet again; and reinstalling PSI 1.5.0.2.

I will not try these games again until PSI reaches a 2.0 RC (or better) release.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: Complete Disaster with PSI 2.0 Beta
Expert Contributor 19th Nov, 2010 19:27
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
Hello again pudelein !
Well at least you've tried....sorry it didn't work out. I'm at a loss to try anything else other than setting out your findings in an e mail to :support@secunia.com
Someone may be able to suggest something to you personally. As I stated before tho' it seems to have been that XP users have had more troubles with it.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability